Bring up more ppl to WoF and motivate them all!

Jamira

Elite
Banned
Society
Freelancer
I sent a support case to MA.

"Hi folks!

You may have noticed that we will have another WoF, starting at early March. I am involved in this event since it started in 2007. I was captain of Team Germany in 2007. Since these early days I was member of a competion team and all the time I took part of the judge team.

This event is by far the biggest event at Calypso. Hundreds of people fight for the honour. Even people that have not a real chance to win the prize. Do you smell the sense of this competition? All this participants spent a lot of money ... main and support team. Spending $10 for a poor supporter is the same like $10k for a main team member.

You, MA/FPC will profit from this event in an extraordinary way. You must be interested in dragging in as much ppl as possible. I am a WoF veteran and I talked to others. I am afraid, Hurrikane didn't ask hard enough for a better gratification system.

At the moment only the winning team gets some jackets. My suggestion is: Remove ALL prizes or give prizes to all participants. Even the small teams of some countries deserve a gratification! Let's say a diploma ... dunno ...

I don't know if it is possible to do such things within the mission system. Probably it's all too late for this year's WoF. But you can (and should!) improve this big event. Believe me, you will profit from it!

Make it possible that the captains are able to reward prizes ... beside Main Team. But all participating main teams should be rewarded as well.

Please think about that issue. WoF will start at March ... kinda six weeks to go.

Jamira, member of WoF judge team and Team Dach support."

A diploma or something like that to all the participants would be nice :)

whats the motivation if everyone can just register and get a fancy jacket? wheres the kudos if everyone has a prize? you play for the honor of your country (maybe thats been lost with DACH?), and to have some fun doing so, not to win a prize.

leave it be, only winners get a prize as is the case in all proper competition.

It is just not about the fancy jackets etc.

It is about MA/FPC's lack of commitment to yet another of their biggest money spinners.

Not trying to digress from the OP however MA/FPC's fixation with new islands items etc; etc; has made them lose sight of the original concepts that put them where they are now. This new money from planet partners etc will soon be gone. Retaining of a loyal paying player base should be somewhat a priority for them in my opinion.

Many high ranking players are boycotting wof due to this. These players are the backbone of wof and without them I do not know what the future will be for wof. They are the ones that put the hard yards in and keep the interest going with support and everything else.

never took part in it never will.
as i can't because of rl work.

never the less, ....
1. i thought this was a player organized event.
2. FPC have done the bit to give out jackets and diploma's to support the event (what normaly never happeneds on other player organized events)
3. FPC is not alloud to just give out item's as it can influence the economy (MA desides if it may be done or not)
4. MA and FPC are two different compagny's now.(there is no MA/FPC as there is no Rocktropia/FPC either)

so my conclusion is that there are jackets given out by MA or by FPC as it's held on FPC planet is allready a big +
but sometimes it's never enhough for some i guess

It is just not about the fancy jackets etc.

It is about MA/FPC's lack of commitment to yet another of their biggest money spinners.

Not trying to digress from the OP however MA/FPC's fixation with new islands items etc; etc; has made them lose sight of the original concepts that put them where they are now. This new money from planet partners etc will soon be gone. Retaining of a loyal paying player base should be somewhat a priority for them in my opinion.

Many high ranking players are boycotting wof due to this. These players are the backbone of wof and without them I do not know what the future will be for wof. They are the ones that put the hard yards in and keep the interest going with support and everything else.

Agree wholeheartedly! Well said Jamira as well.. The WOF has been a huge success over the years. One would really hope that MA could pay some well earned attention to it.

never took part in it never will.
as i can't because of rl work.

never the less, ....
1. i thought this was a player organized event.
2. FPC have done the bit to give out jackets and diploma's to support the event (what normaly never happeneds on other player organized events)
3. FPC is not alloud to just give out item's as it can influence the economy (MA desides if it may be done or not)
4. MA and FPC are two different compagny's now.(there is no MA/FPC as there is no Rocktropia/FPC either)

so my conclusion is that there are jackets given out by MA or by FPC as it's held on FPC planet is allready a big +
but sometimes it's never enhough for some i guess

Well if you had taken part you possibly may be more qualified to voice an opinion.

I guess its not really about being "enhough for some i guess"

They did make the commitment and then partially withdrew some of this the following season.

Regardless wether player based or not the point is the scope of this event brings in $k's for MA.

MA / FPC I really dont know or care about their roles. Their existence is just an excuse to pass the buck.

Again I see the OP as an attempt of receiving more acknowledgement from MA/FPC on the effort that is put into WoF from the player base at no cost to MA/FPC. The monetary cost would be minor compared from the benefits they would receive.

I don't like to have the opinion of "never took part in WoF" people here. You don't know nothing.

I've got no response so far from FPC. Let's sit down and wait a moment until they answer.

Last edited:
I think it'd be better if more LA owners sponsored these types of events.

They could be giving out MLs, Adj Faps, this.. that.. FPC could maybe make unique items out of those ones, by giving them different names and stuff like that.

There is no need to get FPC to tax everyone just to hand out gifts...

Just my 2c,
Some

Unfortunately I will not join WOF for ENGLAND (since I live in the UK ;)) untill I have got myself some decent gear atm I'am still skilling up & I probably don't have the pedcard to be on the mainteam :laugh:.

Unfortunately I will not join WOF for ENGLAND (since I live in the UK ;)) untill I have got myself some decent gear atm I'am still skilling up & I probably don't have the pedcard to be on the mainteam :laugh:.

Mark,

I am pretty sure you have better gear than I, but I am in the Aussie team. Not main of course. From what I hear, everyone can have a part to play, no matter what their skill level and gear. I'm just hoping to have some fun, learn, and get to know more players

KikkiJikki

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jamira again :(

i totally agree! This event is worth some PR worldwide. Not so sure about additional prices, though diplomas are a good idea. Actually i'd like to see a chinese and korean team in WoF, now that would add some serious spice to the competition and would make the world champion actually the world champion, because everybody knows that those 2 nations must be taken as a serious competition, maybe the hardest in the world. Thats why i am curious about the chinese planet and how it will change the virtual world we live in.

I'd prefer MA/FPC to stay out of it. When they've been involved in WoF before, all they've done is fucked it up. Even giving out a few jackets took them months last year.

The way our recruitment is going so far, you can be England captain :D

Seriously though, you don't need decent gear or a lot of PEDs for WoF. Even turning up with an Opalo is useful.

Seriously though, you don't need decent gear or a lot of PEDs for WoF. Even turning up with an Opalo is useful.
Ok then, so where do I sign up?

MA and FPC doesn't seem to think that way sadly...

They always tend to forget all the none ubers :)

"Hi Jamira,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your suggestions. We really appreciate this kind of feedback and I have forwarded your comments to the responsible team.

We are unable to say whether or not your suggestions will be implemented, but please stay tuned to the News section and Version Update Content Lists on the website."

Sure! I love you! ROFL!

Seriously, WTH does Hurrikane and all the others work their butts off, heh? I mean who profits from all this efforts? FPC does. And no plan to award some cheap pixels to the participants? Lame!

Last edited:
I think it'd be better if more LA owners sponsored these types of events.

They could be giving out MLs, Adj Faps, this.. that.. FPC could maybe make unique items out of those ones, by giving them different names and stuff like that.

There is no need to get FPC to tax everyone just to hand out gifts...

Just my 2c,
Some

"Hi Jamira,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your suggestions. We really appreciate this kind of feedback and I have forwarded your comments to the responsible team.

We are unable to say whether or not your suggestions will be implemented, but please stay tuned to the News section and Version Update Content Lists on the website."

Sure! I love you! ROFL!

Seriously, WTH does Hurrikane and all the others work their butts off, heh? I mean who profits from all this efforts? FPC does. And no plan to award some cheap pixels to the participants? Lame!

Chalk and cheese lol.

No need for taxes and the whatlike.
All it takes is a few minor programming for those "cheap pixels" at a very

:yay:happy:yay:

result from the player base.​

An interesting though on the land owners making some sort of contibution as they to have a financial gain from wof.​

However that is another story. MA/FPC are the target here​

An interesting though on the land owners making some sort of contibution as they to have a financial gain from wof.

If I get it right the landowners did sponsor last year's WoF. But I don't know the details.

So ...

Players organize an event.
Players do a lot of work while running, judging and charting this event.
Players participate and burn tons of PED during the event.
Players sponsor the event.

FPC get all the money.

Hurray!

Last edited:
Yeah, more prizes would make some sense to this "who got biggest and baddest alliance" event... :scratch2:

Give diploma or somethign to every "main team" member or so... maybe even tell their final position in event in that diploma? This would create more Main teams... not just Team Earth with 12 highest skilled person + couple hundred support members...

You get the idea? Give atleast minor reason to participate this event. Half of the people say no thx just after they hear that the only winners get something.

This event is turning more and more to who want to be in Main team and lose +1kish in it... Or who want to stay in support team and participate when ever they feel like it and lose much less... And ofc win nothing as tehre is is Team Uber alliance hitting twice as much scores as your team...

That is the REALITY about this event. If you start thinking money wise...

So why bother?

Dont get me wrong, i'm still in this and gonna be pain in the ass of all finnish players who dont participate(violence and pressure are the way to go when building support team), but this is pretty much how things are in this event. I have participated it now 3 times...

I dont agree!

If it would be WOF as it was before.. i.e. Country VS Country then yes..

But now, when its 8 teams tournament with mixed random non-nationalities teams.. No do not give any prize out ;)

If I get it right the landowners did sponsor last year's WoF. But I don't know the details.

So ...

Players organize an event.
Players do a lot of work while running, judging and charting this event.
Players participate and burn tons of PED during the event.
Players sponsor the event.

FPC get all the money.

Hurray!

Again, i dont see any reason why MA/FPC should sponsor random hunting event with 8 teams...

Yeah, more prizes would make some sense to this "who got biggest and baddest alliance" event... :scratch2:

Give diploma or somethign to every "main team" member or so... maybe even tell their final position in event in that diploma? This would create more Main teams... not just Team Earth with 12 highest skilled person + couple hundred support members...

You get the idea? Give atleast minor reason to participate this event. Half of the people say no thx just after they hear that the only winners get something.

This event is turning more and more to who want to be in Main team and lose +1kish in it... Or who want to stay in support team and participate when ever they feel like it and lose much less... And ofc win nothing as tehre is is Team Uber alliance hitting twice as much scores as your team...

That is the REALITY about this event. If you start thinking money wise...

So why bother?

Dont get me wrong, i'm still in this and gonna be pain in the ass of all finnish players who dont participate(violence and pressure are the way to go when building support team), but this is pretty much how things are in this event. I have participated it now 3 times...

Also very nice summary,

People don't really want to play because its expensive to play in main team. Then there is no motivation to try when there are these mixes teams scoring two times more because of 50 people in support and wide possibility to choose main team from ;)

I will keep saying what i keep saying, Fck Hurrikane for not changing the rules in order to make WOF WOF.

WoF was fun, WoF was THE event... it was...

A jacket or diploma dont make it great again. Put WoF on hold for some years, and then it might be as big again.... as it is now, it will die slow and never have a chanse off a comeback...

Wait to the econemy goes back up and use old rules whit nation Vs. nation... then it will be big again.

WoF was fun, WoF was THE event... it was...

A jacket or diploma dont make it great again. Put WoF on hold for some years, and then it might be as big again.... as it is now, it will die slow and never have a chanse off a comeback...

Wait to the econemy goes back up and use old rules whit nation Vs. nation... then it will be big again.

I don't think it needs to be a long hiatus, but I do think that what looks to be heavily reduced participation this year bears out what I said a while back when I suggested taking a year out:

I was waiting for a WoF 2011 suggestions thread, but seeing as people seem to be posting in this one for now, I might as well do it too :)

Here’s my radical suggestion for WoF 2011 – there should be no WoF 2011. WoF should be every two years, not annually.

Many of the teams, big and small, this year (and to a lesser extent in 2009) suffered from WoF Fatigue. For those of us who engage most fully with WoF, it’s a big commitment for several months of the year, and it’s hard to keep up enthusiasm for it. I believe many people decided not to bother this year because of that.

In England’s case we had a lot of people who just didn’t want to take part this year, including some who have been strong main team players in previous tournaments. As a result our main team was weaker and our support much less numerous than 2009 and especially 2008. I think the general feeling within our team is that we over-achieved in reaching the semi-finals, given the relative weakness of our team compared to previous tournaments.

A lot of the other teams seemed to have a similar problem. Sweden had a strong team but I think it was quite different to the team of the last couple of years. Some of the smaller teams struggled to even pick a main 12. The reigning champions didn’t bother to enter a team at all.

It’s notable that many of the most successful teams this year were new or revitalised teams (DACH, Russia, Benelux) while those who have been around for a while struggled. Australia did well, but even though they’ve entered WoF regularly I view them as a quite new team since they only really became a strong force in 2009.

It seemed like USA were an exception and maintained good support numbers as well as a strong main team, and perhaps this was a key factor in their victory – or perhaps they also suffered from WoF Fatigue more than I realise.

If WoF were every two years I believe that most countries would be able to enter a stronger team due to greater enthusiasm and fewer people being reluctant to make the commitment of time and/or PEDs that’s required for a serious attempt at the WoF title.

Having the off-year would also give more scope for friendly matches, which is something that Hurrikane has mentioned before. I like the idea of having, say, 5 low-pressure friendly matches or mini-tournaments over the course of a year as preparation for the real deal the following year.

The way I see it, you can either have a good tournament every year, or a great one every two years, and given the choice if I were the organiser or just as a participant, I would prefer the latter.

I am very much looking forward to WoF 2012 :)

the simplist way to get more interest is to make it more fun and more in the original spirit. it was FoF, all about going out and crazy un-eco shooting the crap out of everything, with a spice of national pride.

That was the reason for participating in it before and should be now.

get back to that, by making it shorter. its currently a 3/4 month marathon and i think people worry too much about the cost. make it 2 rounds then the final over about 6-8 weeks max and there will be more participation i believe. and no nations not recognised by an official international body with the exception of the calypso nations, to stop all that binfest which is just distracting from the core.

It's not about the reward. Your in WoF becouse you did support your contry (or the mix, as it is now), not becouse some random pixlar that dont mean anything...

Don't tell me why I am participating in WoF! Me personally put so much effort in it over five years you can't imagine. I love this competition and I appreciate any idea that'll bring it forward. This thread is about a given situation. Not about what WoF could be in the future.

I know a lot of people who will participate this year again. Anyone of them has his personal reasons. I just want to improve it a little bit.

Please use this thread for your suggestions for future WoF!
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?203077-WoF-2011-Your-Two-Cents

While more prizes sounds like a good idea, the reality is that it will only make things worse; there will be no more small teams fighting for honour, and we will end up seeing more and more ABCDWXZY teams that have nothing to do with the spirit of WOF.
Other than trying to increase spawns (which we all know how well it "worked" in the past)... I honestly don't want to see MA/SDS/etc getting involved.
But of course, that's just crazy me talking.

While more prizes sounds like a good idea, the reality is that it will only make things worse; there will be no more small teams fighting for honour, and we will end up seeing more and more ABCDWXZY teams that have nothing to do with the spirit of WOF.
Other than trying to increase spawns (which we all know how well it "worked" in the past)... I honestly don't want to see MA/SDS/etc getting involved.
But of course, that's just crazy me talking.

Look, if you would read before talking you would have noticed this part:

"My suggestion is: Remove ALL prizes or give prizes to all participants."

Back