Calypso Bank / Society Storage

Would a Bank that all soc members could deposit/withdraw into/from be a good idea?

• Total voters

ACEwoK

Stalker
Society
Southern Fortress Engineering (SFE)
Jim EwoK Morris
Just a quick suggestion. Would it be possible to have a Banking facility that all members of a society may put items or ped into? For instance, my society is trying to save enough PED to purchase an office/house for us all to base from. Having an account that we can all put loot or ped into would make things easier so that 1 person (me at the moment) doesnt have to carry the burden of doing all the storing/banking for the society and other members can then see what contributions are being made so that its visibly fair. What about the possibility of a Calypso Bank?? Everything else mirrors RL so why not this as well? the only difference is that you could put loot into it and it would add the tt value to the account?? other ideas would be that either all members of the soc can deposit into and withdraw from the account, or that the leaders have access options they can assign to different embers or that all members could deposit but only the leaders and second ranks could withdraw?

Please tell me what you think about this as i think it would be a beaut idea

Last edited:
I think it is a great idea that I beleive is on MAs radar. They have said before that increased society functions, such as society storage are planned.

DD
:evilking:

Yeah I think its on the cards. I think MA said that they were looking into how they could stop the problem of the "Soc Leader running of with the society's booty" problem.

Two thoughts popped into my head....
First- I like the idea of having a "safe-haven" so to speak for society moneys... This way every1 does not have to trust any one person in the soc to collect the funds and keep them safe :)
Second, however- you suggest that any1 in the soc would be able to take the money out... this sounds risky. What functions could MA implement to ensure that they money is taken out by the appropriate person/ppl in soc and is used according to the soc agreement?
Perhaps it's as easy as saying any one person cannot withdraw more than they put in?

I think it is bad idea it would cause problems in society.

This invovles alot of trust tho!

Soc storage would be cool, I don't know about a bank though.

i totally agree with faust here...

i'd rather see a special storage area for whole soc or even better for each member...

then you could chunk over stuff to someone being offline

maybe even a mailbox option in soc terminal(like in WOW)... :silly2:

i agree that it does involve a lot of trust, and this is exactly the delema that i'm faced with at the moment as even though i know i'm trustworthy, i cannot deny that there are people out there that would abuse such trust. Fortunately my soc members seem to trust me sufficiently so far although i cannot speak for everyone. I'm currently the "bank" for my society although due to time zone differences i've assigned another member to act as assistant "banker".

I would rather that all members have the ability to put loot into a soc storage and be able to see whats already there and then when the time comes to withdraw money, say for a land purchase, then all the members would vote with the majority rule winning and only then could the funds be withdrawn. I know it sounds complicated but im sure the clever people programming this wonderfull universe could do something with this??

LOVE the idea. and im sure that MA can do this. and apply the right rules.

I can see the ammount of support cases increasing with this one so I can't see MA being too keen on the idea.

I think it is a very good idea, and is likely to happen eventually. most likely form would be as some form of lending system.
rahter than the agreements being ranked or divided by soc. it would be a set of features that make mroe secure and wider varierty of transactions among individuals. any soc agreement is just yet another agreement between individal people who agree on one thing, or one set of things.
After all a well rounded lending system would have options to rent, share cost of, or even loan an item for both free and for exchange of ped. There would by nessisty be a subsystem to it that keeps track of and manages decay and who paid what. There would be a set of options and that it is up to each person to agree and click the agree button or use the iintigrated message system to negotiate. Likely would be a specific terminal and a special auction interface wich would be part of how each person interacts with it.
kinda like a more advanced and sohpisticated team creation menu.
There would be several choices for several different forms of transaction and the combination of choices you chose and agree upon would allow significant range of options. Those options once everybody hits accept ar binding and the server would automatically without fail adhere to those options to a t. unless the parties involved make a new agreement for that item(s).PArt of the confirmation process for some types of transactions my require also logging into the MA site via the client loader in addition to in pe to complete.

Its possable, and is likely just takes MA to get around to coding it.. This system would be a bit complex on the programming side so, it likely will take em a while to get around to making it.

A good way around it would be to have each member of the soc give permission when one person wants to take something out, and until everyone confirms the person doesn't get the item. If the person wants the item and they go offline well the item will pop up for when they do get online and then they can use it. This would only work in a small tight soc with active players :wise: . However I guess there should be a few ways to go about this, persay when your setting up your soc you decide what style of storage you want. One where anyone can take anything at any time. Permission from the leader. Permission from all of the top x ranks. Permission from all.

hmm now that I read Kay-T's post for the 5th time mine is kind of like hers :D

Say I am in a mining society.
Say, I mined 15 PEDs worth of VeryRareOrite, which has no demand ATM and is sold for 105%! I know that I won't be able to get even 1% if I sell on auction, nor I feel like yelling all over PA "Selling 15 peds of VeryRareOrite!"

Well the soc could agree on a "buying %" for VeryRareOrite.. Say 104%.. I dump my ore in soc bank and I get a "certificate". Pete, Joe and Mike do the same and we already have 120 peds worth of this ore and we can sell it on auction now and actually make 104%!

Say it sold for 106%... Or even better, a guild mate bought it for 106%. The money is deposited into the bank. Pete, Joe, Mike and I use my certificate to withdraw real peds (104%). There's also 2% value left over in the storage that can be shared among the guild or used to cover investment losses.

Almost same holds for Animal Hide... When will I collect enough to sell the stuff on Auctions? Proly not in a month. During that time my peds are trapped in all these hides and ores I can't afford to put on auctions. I almost deffinitely have over 1000 peds trapped in those small-amount-thingies that I Could invest better.

dougkush said:
A good way around it would be to have each member of the soc give permission when one person wants to take something out, and until everyone confirms the person doesn't get the item. If the person wants the item and they go offline well the item will pop up for when they do get online and then they can use it. This would only work in a small tight soc with active players :wise: . However I guess there should be a few ways to go about this, persay when your setting up your soc you decide what style of storage you want. One where anyone can take anything at any time. Permission from the leader. Permission from all of the top x ranks. Permission from all.

Agreed. Perhaps a vote could be required and approved by x% of the society members in order for anyone to withdraw more than they have deposited. ;)

society storage I think would be awesome, I know manny times I would have used it :girl:

A good idea but would need complex security. ie the abitly to say set up an acount at pe bank give certain users diffrent abilty with someone admining it still some trust involved but everyone could see what was happening and who could / couldent remove or do what

When it come to trust

When it comes to money in PE, as long as its not on your own PED card it requires trust. Regardless of how you run a society, youll depend on trust..
However, i think the trust level that would be required would be lower than it is now, if we had society storages and PED accounts. If you want soc funds or equipment now, someone have to hold it, and the one that does have to be given a whole lot of trust.
I like the idea of soc PED storage/item storage and before the soc terminal got reworked to the current state (which is starting to be a while ago) MA said that a society fund feature was planned. How supprised am i that it takes years before it eventually happen?

Contracts would eliminate need for trust

Trust would only be necessary if they dont put in place game versions of RL safeguards. If you had the ability to draft a simple contract between all soc members you could outline what is and what isn't allowed. Say there is an in-game contract form where you can check off boxes (maybe something like soc leader can only make a single withdrawl of 10% without group approval) that set up simple unbreakable rules in regards to the agreement. This would allow for setting up a set timeframe for the agreement, possible interest rates, setting rules for the use of group property and money, and even limitations to the allowed uses of the groups stuff. It could be similar to the private trade or hunting party system, where everone agrees to preset rules which can't be changed unless the agreement is dissolved and reformed. All it would take is mildly creative programming. The best part is that it would be an evolutionary step up for the whole economy. It would allow for a player to, say, invest ped in weapons and supplies for a questing group in return for a guaranteed percentage of the total take. This benefits everyone. How about loans, or banks that give interest, or employment contracts? It would all be possible with this one simple game addition. The game economy would blossom, playing would be more interesting, and I guarantee new people would start playing in droves.

Our society (Demon Tigers) has something we call Soc Bank.

Basically, when several soc members agree, a team hunt is turned into a "Soc hunt". In these hunts, leader takes all items and money is equally split. All those items go to the society bank. The bank is kept by soc members, mainly the leader.

Then, from time to time, the soc pays for space trips, missions, or just good old cash to the members.

This was the main reason why I joined this soc. It lets us have our little dreams about buying a hangar or a land area with the banks money in the future...

It involves trust issues, and might bring problems when not everybody in the soc deposits and plays for fun.

We have a soc bank (Miners of the Mountains). I was totally against it when the idea was first raised although the higher ups where keen to point out loads of plus sides to it. The main one being that it could be used to fund soc events or to help the soc take advantage of new trends. I'm still 50/50 on it so i voted yes and no :)

We broke it down like this, new members dont have to pay until they complete their mentorship, at which point they do have to pay. I'm a slow slug so months on I'm still a desciple, I think trying a bit of everything didnt help me here hehe. I will pay the monthly soc bank fee when I graduate as I like my soc and it would suck to get booted over some trivially small amount, I think its something small like 10-20ped a month. o and you cant withdraw from it except when its done as a soc bank event i.e. we as a group buy something or pay for something.

One point I'm not psyked about is that if you dont pay then you get booted out of the soc. That kinda takes some of the fun out of it. One of my main narks with it was that Im not interested in the soc bank events that have been proposed like trips to CND and buying an apartment. The way I see it is that if i want to go to CND then I can make my own way there. I dont think its fair that I should pay money into the bank only to have other people take advantage of it, like with the CND event, I wouldnt be going but others would so wheres my compensation? What guarantee do I have that any of the soc bank events would be to my taste? What about just simple things like when an event is to occur at a time that I cant make it? See theres loads of quirks with it.

A major major plus side is if the soc do something cool like buy a spaceship or a shop. I thought a shop was a great idea since the entire soc could sell their randomly looted junk in one place. As long as the soc member who owned the deed could be trusted to keep track of who was selling what etc. Another kickass reason is to help one or more members to become better crafters so they can craft weapons/armour/tools for the soc for no additional charge.

Pablinchi said:
Our society (Demon Tigers) has something we call Soc Bank.
This was the main reason why I joined this soc. It lets us have our little dreams about buying a hangar or a land area with the banks money in the future...

The 'Freelancer seeking Soc' sounds like a really cool soc then ;-)

Winston

yeah id love to even see shared estate deeds with socs or even people sort of a roommate kinda thing the fees are divided bettween the two and u both have all the rights to move furniture and what not...

think of that PE couples can live together!

yea

Skam said:
This invovles alot of trust tho!
this is a factor but like voting for a new leader u cud vote wether or not the ped shud be withdrawn

Back