Calypso Capital - not a suggestion, but a brainstorm discussion

Wollongong

Elite
Society
Odysseus Unbound
Jerry "Wollo" Wollongong
Note to moderators:
I understand that you may think this is meant as a suggestion, especially while I share my own ideas in one paragraph. However, the purpose of this thread is to engage into a discussion/brainstorm about what our Capital is, and what it should look like.

Note to all:
I do not, by any means, intend to make the Capital a place of centralized activity. I merely would like to see a capital with a certain touch and feel which would attract a certain public for certain activities. A Hadesheim, with actual people in it, so to speak. Other places should have their own special reasons for going there.

A while ago, there was a small town called "Hadesheim". In its architecture, it was the metropole of the Planet. Clearly, the capital (despite PA being the more lively one). But we all know what happened to the Capital (damn those bots.... I hate them all!)

I was wondering, with the way our planet looks like now, which -based on architecture, layout, design- do you think is our capital now? Is it PA, with the skyscrapers? Is it Twin Peaks, with the big central square? Or perhaps Zichion (despite it needing a little renovation)?

What would the perfect capital look like for you?
For me, it would combine a few things, functions. It must offer residential space, shopping (booths, perhaps a few stand alone stores, public buildings, a nice square with a statue).

I think the perfect capital would be centered around a square with statue (bring back the PA statue, yay!) Around this, would be the buildings. On one side, a public building, perhaps a "Senate" (which can later house the facilities for CLD voting and discussions/polls), on the other side skyscrapers, of which the ground floors (facing the square) has a few shops, and of course...a bar (or two). Maybe a dancing, with music playing inside (could be rented out to players, who can then stream their own media). Hell, maybe even one MA owned disco, and others could be sold.

The residential areas would be in the skyscrapers, above the facilities at the bottom.

Of course, there would be the usual facilities such as storage, a crafting building, an auction house, revive etc.

Now... share your imagination, and share with us: what would the perfect capital of Calypso look like?

Last edited:
Well I like the Idea of Celest Harbour on Arkadia and In my opinion is the prefect main city.

It basicaly has everything you described above and some other stuff.

Well I like the Idea of Celest Harbour on Arkadia and In my opinion is the prefect main city.

It basicaly has everything you described above and some other stuff.

Could you, perhaps, specify your answer to Calypso? Is it comparable to any location (I have never travelled in space, so I wouldn't know...)

I don't believe in capitals (or in centralized states, for that matter), I like small independent communities scattered across the globe, it increases the cultural variety and strip the damn toasters of the chance to behead us with the first hit and annihilate with a dozen of others :)

I don't believe in capitals (or in centralized states, for that matter), I like small independent communities scattered across the globe, it increases the cultural variety and strip the damn toasters of the chance to behead us with the first hit and annihilate with a dozen of others :)

Well, I agree that we need more places, each with their own touch-n-feel. But don't you think that a "Capital" could be a place with a certain "mood" or atmosphere?
For instance, making it the place for CLD owners to vote, it would attract a certain public. Others, who are more for the rural lifestyle could go elsewhere. That's my idea with this thread: to figure out how a location which would be "capital" would be designed (should be designed).

I think more needs to be done on all the towns with teleports that are ghost towns! Twins and PA are usually busy, but so many other places with market booths etc lay empty. The key will be to make each town unique and have features that will draw players to it.

Maybe that Privateers can only land at Athena space port, crafters have a bigger selection of crafting machines in Minopolis. Twins could remain the trading hub, while PA remained the new arrival place for mentoring etc.
Put PvP rings at Ashi, pet stables at Billy's, clothing stores at New Oxford! I wonder if defining locations with specific purposes would help distribute the population more actively?

just my 2 pecs

I think more needs to be done on all the towns with teleports that are ghost towns! Twins and PA are usually busy, but so many other places with market booths etc lay empty. The key will be to make each town unique and have features that will draw players to it.

Maybe that Privateers can only land at Athena space port, crafters have a bigger selection of crafting machines in Minopolis. Twins could remain the trading hub, while PA remained the new arrival place for mentoring etc.
Put PvP rings at Ashi, pet stables at Billy's, clothing stores at New Oxford! I wonder if defining locations with specific purposes would help distribute the population more actively?

just my 2 pecs

Again, my thoughts exactly. And I am starting with the concept of a "Capital" (which is not aimed at getting ALL activity in one place).

Once and always will be - Hades.

For the past 2 years, Manticore and allied Societies & Colonists have attempted to retake Hadesheim to mark the anniversary of the impact of the War Titan "Typhon".

The first H-Day attack marked the first mechanized attack on any significant scale by Colonists. A beachhead was established on the hallowed ground of Hadesheim, and "Junkyard Bar 2.0" was opened for business. AHR provided entertainment for the weary fighters.

Then, a massive counter-attack by the robot forces occurred. Once again, we lost Hadesheim as the robots of Akbal-Cimi unleashed a horrific wave of attackers that culminated with the appearance of the Hydra series. At that time, the Hydra was the most powerful enemy to ever attack humans on Calypso.

H-Day II had a smaller attack force than the original H-Day, but we took advantage of the facilities the robots had put in place at Hadesheim to create Junkyard Bar 3.0, which featured the cyborg abomination shelly.nakajima as guest bartender. A fun time was had by all participants!

As the robot opposition at H-Day II was not a massive counter-attack as it was for aour initial attempt to retake our Capital from the robot forces, I have high confidence that H-Day III will mark the day of our victory, and H-Day IV will be marked by a parade down the streets of Hadesheim.

Join us in August for H-Day III!

TERMINUS ROBOTICUS!

AG

To me, I never thought Hadesheim looked like a capital. I always thought Zychion Citadel looked much grander. With the statue and ramps and such. Wasn't it one of the first cities built before the robot wars?

I think it even satisfies the OP's image of a capital:

For me, it would combine a few things, functions. It must offer residential space, shopping (booths, perhaps a few stand alone stores, public buildings, a nice square with a statue).

zycion3.jpg

Just as an aside, this issue has been discussed off and on for a very long time. See this thread from 2005.

Zychion Citadel certainly had to be a grand site in it's heyday. I always look at it as a reminder of the necessary cost of freedom from oppression. We are able to walk there because those brave early colonist bought and paid for that land with their own blood, but even more hydraulic fluid.

Hadesheim is my Capital, Zychion Citadel is sacred ground.

just my 2 pecs
Great ideas. I'm still hoping the 'factory' that was in the works several years ago finally shows up in Omegaton and Genesis. We have enough items in game with those names as a prefix it only makes sense really... (never really understood why they put the Genesis building in Twin instead of in Genesis Amethera HQ - you'd think a Headquarters would have the buildings for the business?)

It's completely silly that a 'capital' would be located somewhere other than some huge place where a bunch of apartmens are... Usually if there is a civilization that runs a government, they tend to live near that location, or at least in its suburbs.

well i guess in the nowadays PA is the capital of calypso. Skyline, dock, fly dock, mall, ...no one has all that.

Zychion Citadel is sacred ground.

I always tell the newbies I run through there to get the teleporter that they can not call it a ruin - it is a monument for those who died in the robot war :wise:

There is a screen with some text telling people that, unless it was removed recently? I haven't checked in a few weeks/months...

There is a screen with some text telling people that, unless it was removed recently? I haven't checked in a few weeks/months...

That screen, like much of the history of Calypso, is sadly gone.

Link please.

Press Release
Goteborg, Sweden - First Planet Company, developer and publisher of the largest real money Massively Multiplayer Online Game, announced today the newest version is available for download. This update brings a brand new Port Atlantis, the Tenderfoot Grounds for new players, new missions and an amazing new vehicle to the world.

Planet Calypso is proud to open the Tenderfoot Grounds right outside its new capital Port Atlantis where all new players start.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1126769p1.html

I like the idea of a big city. Hadesheim used to have market booths. I saw the ghost set for the first time there back in 2004.. It had awesome stats (for that time).

to bring functionality to a city like that:
- the city must be hard to impossible to reach for people on foot/hard to reach by means of car/hovercraft, (atrox stalkers all over the place, acid pools that decay cars/hovercrafts, possible to reach by air (but has a lootable pvp barrier)

- all the major weapon manufacturors should be there sollomate, omegaton, genesis, a-3, breer. There should be low sib offerings from all of the weapon manufacturors that have a tad more punch than the tt-offerings.
for example sollomate opalo+[L] tt of 5 ped with same stats as the sga opalo, or a-3 punisher Mk-1[L] for 30 ped with sib. This would create a sub market for people smuggling these weapons out of the city to twin peaks. They are at risk of getting shot down through the pvp lootable barrier, creating markup.

-clothes out of the trade terminal [L] only available from that city.

-cultural center with an art gallery (as previous in new oxford)

-at the boundaries of the city, umbranoid traders and feffoid traders, same conditions (hard to get to, hard to get out of, creating markup for the goods the umbra traders and feffoid traders offer)

- a big center with a square and a nice new statue, surrounded by market booths and small shops with window displays.

- a racing arena (daytona like, or pod racer (starwars) like) with an event manager, that can sell tickets to viewers and participants. betting on racers possible, possibly for rideable pets in the future. an event controlled racing circuit.

- a decent pvp arena (roman collosseum like) with an event manager for fighting pvp, pvmob or pvp+pvmob

- central space hub above the city with tp up/down. so that spaceships do not land in the city but above it. Pilots can gather their clients at the tp-down and go up to travel.

- there is a teleporter, but it's being repaired (sign out of order), so that focus on travelling by vehicles remains.

- big fashion, clothes and make-up center, with an event manager.

- to avoid port atlantis loosing its function create some islands only travellable too by boat (poisonous fumes make air travel impossible). Make port atlantis a real port and travelling by boats more popular. Some goods only transportable by transport boats.

Last edited:
-clothes out of the trade terminal [L] only available from that city.
Would be nice if the trade terminals and technicians had ALL the stuff they had in them at any time in the past... just to give folks something to play around with...

i would love capital for game
yes game...not pcf...arka..rock...blah balh..
the game
ma need realize is a game
not platform

if it were different games i could play one without worrying about being shot down from players from another...or i could actually play the other with an account and not worry about getting banned by MA for having multiple accounts in game...duh?

so hard part...how do ma pick a place?

but woudl require also having universal teleporter..id pay high price for use

neutral rock int he middle of no where? to try to please other planet partners? where all decay/loot/blah whatever is split between all planet partners?

Back