Calypso Gateway V2.0

Pepto

Prowler
Society
Freelancer
Jason Pepto Amsterdam
I have given this some thought taking into consideration the reviews, theories, ideas and problems reported in other threads as well as my own experience within the Gateway and so I present my suggestions for the Gateway.

Please read the whole thing before making any comments. Several of the items on their own make no sense :silly2:

General Asthetics:

Close off the building. Remove the exits to the land.

Arrival & Departure:

Once the Gateway is closed to all but new arrivals they will spawn on the landing platform by the spaceship and have to run down the corridor to the main area of Floor 2(?).

I propose making a corridor on the other side that leads to a similar landing platform with another spaceship. Place a Pilot NPC, Pilot Phil, here that when activated asks you if you are ready to fly to the mainland. You will notice that in PA there is already a landing zone with a long white corridor, I think currently there is a ship placed there anyway and so this fits well.

Saying ‘yes’ to the pilot NPC will create the TP effect (white screen) and you then spawn next to the ship platform near PA.

Teleporter & Televator tutorial:

Simple NPC spawned next to both with dialogue on how they work. Televator Technician Ted and Teleporter Technician Tony if you will.

Sweating tutorial:

Remove the mission from Swamp Camp mission broker and create a NPC up here. NPC gives the player their VSE Mk.1 and tells the player to go to teleporter and select ‘Gateway Sweating Grounds’ From the TP list. This would require FPC to place a TP outside in the area for sweating. Place a revival terminal near the TP.

Once they have the sweat they return and hand in. They receive whatever bonus the old mission would have rewarded. The NPC then tells them to visit the financial representative.

Financial tutorial:

Just an NPC, Accountant Andrew, whom explains depositing and withdrawing.

Crafting tutorial:

Remains the same. I see no room for improvement personally.

Mining tutorial:

Make the items UL with very low decay to prevent issues and allow for the occasional* global (No towers) to be extracted fully. Have the NPC instruct the player to return to the teleporter and select ‘Gateway Mining Gounds’ from the TP list. This would require FPC to place a TP outside in the area for mining.

Once in the grounds the OreFinder can be used, should be ‘locked’ if it isn’t already up until this point. Place a revival terminal near the TP for those that venture too far or meet a mob. Keep the current quest line including Dr. Clark if no hit is found.

*I mean more rarely than on planet side

Hunting tutorial:

Remove the hunting mission from Swamp Camp broker. Once you have been issued the first gun(L) you are instructed to return to the teleporter and select ‘Gateway Hunting Grounds’ from the TP list. This would require FPC to place a TP outside in the area for hunting. A revival can be placed near the TP.

Once in the grounds the gun can be fired, should be ‘locked’ if it isn’t already up until this point. When you receive the second weapon this gun should be UL and fully damaged. The player is instructed to go to a new NPC, Repair Technician Rodney, who will then explain the process of repairing items.

This RT should repair the gun free BUT cost must be explained by the NPC and a pop-up should come up when you activate the terminal saying “Please note that although this repair is free to as part of the tutorial any repairs conducted on planet will be charged for accordingly.”

Once fully repaired you can complete part 2 of the mission. Afterwards you then receive the amp and finish up with the last 10.

Time to leave:

The Pilot NPC must be aware of inventory and not allow players to leave should they be carrying more than VSE Mk.1, Loot items like Oil, BP book and Basic Filters BP. The guns, finders etc can be disposed of by either:

1. A terminal to remove the items automatically or by placing said items in and clicking submit.
2. Handing them over to Pilot NPC

Conclusion:

I believe the above mentioned would be better suited to expanding new player knowledge of some items they will have regular contact with, namely:

1. Teleporters since we want them to know how to move around and encourage exploration.
2. Televators since we want them to go to malls and shop
3. Depositing and withdrawing since we want them to deposit and be encouraged by the ability to withdraw
4. Repair Terminals which I should think MA want them to interact with regularly :laugh:

More could be done I’m sure but I just believe these were the main things I thought could be expanded upon. They could go so far as to add a race track and allow car driving but these things seem less important than general play knowledge and can be covered by our community planet side

Last edited:
Nice.
I would also add this feature: a way to repair the excavator and/or make it remove 100% of a claim in one go with full decay.

Ah, as the teleporters, i'm not too sure about it. For the less obvious mission (mining), a simple yellow line saying you cannot drop bombs inside buildings will do.

When leaving the CG, all items should be converted to peds (not including loot or the bp and bp book).

Lovley

I must say that I love all your thoughts and I hope for MA and FPC that they all will be implanted...

I t hink the financial should aslo hold information aboput markup. I at least, stupid as I am, didn't understand this when I did my first trade.

When leaving the CG, all items should be converted to peds (not including loot or the bp and bp book).

Nice idea. Although I did propose a UL gun in the hunting stage I guess they can simply set it's TT value to whatever.

I think the financial should aslo hold information aboput markup. I at least, stupid as I am, didn't understand this when I did my first trade.

Valid. Perhaps they could alter Dr. Melinda Clark from simply wanting to scan fragments to wanting to buy them? It would be complicated to have her calculate MU based on Monthly+Weekly +Daily / 3. They could simply set it at a specific value like 110% and she will ask for 'amount' TT worth and explain the final price with MU and this way players would also be introduced to the trade window, if this can be automated by MA of course.

Valid. Perhaps they could alter Dr. Melinda Clark from simply wanting to scan fragments to wanting to buy them? It would be complicated to have her calculate MU based on Monthly+Weekly +Daily / 3. They could simply set it at a specific value like 110% and she will ask for 'amount' TT worth and explain the final price with MU and this way players would also be introduced to the trade window, if this can be automated by MA of course.
Or perhaps a short quiz by melinda clark in which she would ask:
"it's been a while since i last checked the prices on those fragments. Do you happen to know this weeks market value for 1k of fragments?" Then a short explaination of how to check the MU would follow and 3 options would appear, if you manage to get it right, then u earn skill. This way, you would avoid a few possible problems: 1) abuse 2) having to deal in centesimal fractions of PECs 3) having fragment traders camped in CG with the goal of selling it to Melinda, since 2 or 3 fragments would not even generate 1 pec.

Or perhaps a short quiz by melinda clark in which she would ask:
"it's been a while since i last checked the prices on those fragments. Do you happen to know this weeks market value for 1k of fragments?" Then a short explaination of how to check the MU would follow and 3 options would appear, if you manage to get it right, then u earn skill. This way, you would avoid a few possible problems: 1) abuse 2) having to deal in centesimal fractions of PECs 3) having fragment traders camped in CG with the goal of selling it to Melinda, since 2 or 3 fragments would not even generate 1 pec.

Can't plus rep twice within 5 minutes lol. Much better way to do it :thumbup:

Nice.
I would also add this feature: a way to repair the excavator and/or make it remove 100% of a claim in one go with full decay.

I agree. I actually was able to find some Lyst on Gateway and after I extracted it dropped another probe and found another vein. When I went to extract that it said I wasn't able to do so since my extractor was fully decayed. Now if I didn't have the ability to go get one from the TT at a different location and come back that would have been lost. Seems silly to decay it so fast.

Can't plus rep twice within 5 minutes lol. Much better way to do it :thumbup:
Well, just knowing someone read and appreciated it is already great, so, thanks!

I think MA should add PVP zone and PVP tutorial/missions as it is very attractive part of game for many and can bring some nice deposits.

I think MA should add PVP zone and PVP tutorial/missions as it is very attractive part of game for many and can bring some nice deposits.

Valid point, but I think this could be better covered by players planet side? It would be up to MA to advertise the PvP aspect of this world to get new players to join.

Once they join the main thing would be that Gateway teaches them to control their avatar effectively and supply enough general knowledge to get started in game.

I'm specifically referring to important things to know about the game that I see as "missing" from the Gateway tutorial experience such as the repair terminal and the difference between (L) and UL items

Back