Can Criticals be reduced with evade?

Qweeg

Dominant
Society
The Love Craft Academy
Dave Qweeg Lister
Given the change in 9.2 where certain mobs are now more likely to perform a critical hit, I was wondering if there have been any studies done on whether skills can counteract this at all.

If you have a high level in the evader profession then a mob is less likely to hit you, but does it have any bearing on whether a hit will be critical or not. I have read in some threads that there is a view that a high level evade means that if a mob does hit you then it will tend to be at the lower end of its damage range. As far as I am aware this is just a theory, but if it were true then it could also be that higher evade means more chance to evade a crit as well as an actual hit?

I guess it would be pretty difficult to determine, since as your evade goes up your crits received would go down, but as a consequence of being hit less, not necessarily because hits that would have been criticals with lower evade are now just normal hits.

I dunno, youd think the attack would be determined a crit or hit, before its determined if you evade or not. But only god knows, god and MA.

Ill say this tho, today i took 7 crits from the same ravager on cp before it died, and this as a level 30 evader. As well as having trip crits happen twice since the VU, and yes trip as in 3 consecutive from the same mob.

Ill say this tho, today i took 7 crits from the same ravager on cp before it died, and this as a level 30 evader...

:eek::eek::scratch2::scratch2:
so cp is nubfree now ? :laugh:

Atleast there are fewer players now. It is a much harder place to be now, if u don´t have 150+ hitpoints.
This is another way to get more decay=more money to MA, because as a lower level player, 125 or so HP i have to fap after every hit taken in so that i won´t die when the first critical hit appears. And the crits come in often now, wish i would gain skills while running... i run alot nowadays...

ive been hoping a crit parry skill :F when getting more skills the crits too less dmg...

and maybe ubers have whined about "noobs" getting their ATHs... same what they did for trapping after the guy scored ara ATH

so MA made it alot harder to "noobs" kill those mobs.. leaving ubers a bigger chance to hit the ATHs

Atleast there are fewer players now. It is a much harder place to be now, if u don´t have 150+ hitpoints.
This is another way to get more decay=more money to MA, because as a lower level player, 125 or so HP i have to fap after every hit taken in so that i won´t die when the first critical hit appears. And the crits come in often now, wish i would gain skills while running... i run alot nowadays...

lol, im sorry to say its too hard for 150+ players too. Im one of em, and i just gave up because the reviving got really really boring.

That sucks lol...I've been to CP fapping, never actually gone to hunt, and now it seems I won't go for the next few years....I hope evading skills do effect it so that I at least have some hope in the future....

I would think the answer is yes since you get hit less with better evade you will also have less crit hits. Cant prove it but it would make sense to be true.

I would think the answer is yes since you get hit less with better evade you will also have less crit hits. Cant prove it but it would make sense to be true.

And if you have high enough evade to hunt without armour, you will get less crits, because you won't get any armour penetration crits, only additional damage ones.

Given the change in 9.2 where certain mobs are now more likely to perform a critical hit, I was wondering if there have been any studies done on whether skills can counteract this at all.

If you have a high level in the evader profession then a mob is less likely to hit you, but does it have any bearing on whether a hit will be critical or not. I have read in some threads that there is a view that a high level evade means that if a mob does hit you then it will tend to be at the lower end of its damage range. As far as I am aware this is just a theory, but if it were true then it could also be that higher evade means more chance to evade a crit as well as an actual hit?
This VU, it seems Evade skills are pointless (not sure if it's going to stay that way, or if it's a VU bug that will be patched). Even the lowliest mobs hit me all the time. Virtually every single creature I hunt that reaches me, hits me without hesitation and without fail the first time, and as long as it's still alive, quite frequently thereafter. It doesn't matter if it's an Atrox Guardian or a Foul Young. Hell, I even think a Fugabarba Young bit me and drew blood through my Nemesis + plate armor! :eek:

This VU, it seems Evade skills are pointless (not sure if it's going to stay that way, or if it's a VU bug that will be patched). Even the lowliest mobs hit me all the time. Virtually every single creature I hunt that reaches me, hits me without hesitation and without fail the first time, and as long as it's still alive, quite frequently thereafter. It doesn't matter if it's an Atrox Guardian or a Foul Young. Hell, I even think a Fugabarba Young bit me and drew blood through my Nemesis + plate armor! :eek:

You've mentioned this is a dozen threads now, but no-one else seems to be experiencing the same thing. I think it's your imagination...

lol, im sorry to say its too hard for 150+ players too. Im one of em, and i just gave up because the reviving got really really boring.

I agree I went up with lvl 35 evader, 151 HP, good equipt. Pointless trip, I came down quicker than a whores draws :scratch2:

You've mentioned this is a dozen threads now, but no-one else seems to be experiencing the same thing. I think it's your imagination...

Not true I also think mobs r either hitting much harder & more often or the plates bug is back.

Evade skill helps you evading hits.

you get less crits, since you get less hits.

the crit / hits ratio stays the same if you have low or high evade.

And yes hunting in dome4 became a lot harder, my last run there (the fist day of the new VU) I got at least 2 crits from each Aurli before it died.
It seems having high-end equipment will be required for dome4 now.

125 HP is considered low level? FFS!

Looks like i'm destined to become a fracking trader then :(

Not true I also think mobs r either hitting much harder & more often or the plates bug is back.

Same goes for me too. Dome 2 is also quite hard now due to more criticals from all mobs there, and they do hit more often now than fail to hit.
Yesterday we tried to hunt in dome4 with a 4 man team --> so insane that it was almost funny, most of the time we spent running and cursing in the teamchat(When Finnish people curse, it is something more than with other people ;D). So we took the battle in dome3 and spent the night there dying only a couple of times, took down kreltins up to prowler there. So it seems to me that kreltins did not get the same steroids aurlis did.

more crit and more fail hits.

i get much more crits now.
But what me realy make angry, is to do much more fail hits now.
I have 5.5k LB and hit like as beginner now. And decay of Blads are realy not cheap.

im thinking to stop blade hunt now. but whit a lr41 outmaxed, i make same fail hits like whit the blade. That is realy not fun.:mad:

Hmmm, seems to be in my imagination too.
Could be that i'm in a now you'll pay mode (because of unlocked coolness).
But the last run on atrox (only one on me at any time) i had the same decay on my armor as i normally had on runs 3 times the ammo burned.

I'll take a closer look at it the next sessions.

Tussi

Not sure if it is the Evader Pro Standing, the skill Evade itself, or one of the other Defensive Support Skills that makes you get less crits. 1 of them CERTAINLY does make you get less crits though. I can do Daspletors for a very long time without seeing a critical and taking the majority of the hits for a team, and most of my team will have complained about the crits several times over by the time I see one.

I'm also going to investigate another theory I have about avg damage from a mob being lower if you have higher defense skills. I do believe this is also true.

MA said:
Creatures with high attack rates have slightly increased 'inflict critical hit' ability

Either it's a bug, MA's milking us, or the guy writing the text for the VU content list needs to learn def. of 'slightly'

Evade rocks, it used to be really cool, but you need to have an understanding of how it works and the benefits.

Higher levels of evade increase your chance to NOT get hit by mobs who attrack with CQB style. Armor provides you with a level of guaranteed constand protection, at the cost that you'll pay for all the lesser hits that could otherwise be survived for free. This is why ppl are nub who hunt sparsely populated lower level mobs in high protection armor.

Evade has the benefit of 24/7 increased chance of survivability. It will make you more efficient in hunts. However what it doesn't do, is give a free ticket to hunt uber mobs or take on multiple mobs. This is where the armor comes back to play.

Personally I get more pleasure from hunting low level mobs in my fav. outfit than paying for armor decay.

Not sure if it is the Evader Pro Standing, the skill Evade itself, or one of the other Defensive Support Skills that makes you get less crits. 1 of them CERTAINLY does make you get less crits though. I can do Daspletors for a very long time without seeing a critical and taking the majority of the hits for a team, and most of my team will have complained about the crits several times over by the time I see one.

I'm also going to investigate another theory I have about avg damage from a mob being lower if you have higher defense skills. I do believe this is also true.

I don't think either of those are true, but then, i haven't ever had anyone with substantially higher skills than me help out with my evade tests. Witte has a utility that will parse the damage you take from a mob into a file (here) -- it will be perfect for you finding what your average damage is. Please do use it and report back, because my tests all indicated the mob damage is a uniform (random) distribution, meaning that the mean is always 75% of max mob damage (crits not included). Over enough data, the crit frequency can also be compared with someone else to see if it is reduced.

If you wouldn't mind keeping track of what fraction of the time hogglos hit you next time you hunt them, I will be able to include it with the tests I am going to do. If you let me tag along, either as an observer or fapper/observer, i'll keep track for you.

I have spent a lot of time skilling defense, so i really would like to find out that it works in more ways than is currently known to be the case. :)

Last edited:
Umm, are you kidding me? I'm the ONLY one saying this?! Gimme a break Oleg. :rolleyes: And no, it's not my imagination. I'm hunting mobs that I've hunted for years, I know exactly what their hit-rate is, and what is different. The same as any experienced hunter knows when something is different. I hunted last night for 4 hours after coming home from a hockey game and it seems MA fixed the problem, because the hit-rate of the mobs I usually hunt was back to normal.

If you think MA is gonna inform the public about every glitch and every tweak that negatively impacts us as players in every VU listing, you really haven't been playing Entropia very long. :laugh:

Umm, are you kidding me? I'm the ONLY one saying this?! Gimme a break Oleg. :rolleyes: And no, it's not my imagination. I'm hunting mobs that I've hunted for years, I know exactly what their hit-rate is, and what is different. The same as any experienced hunter knows when something is different. I hunted last night for 4 hours after coming home from a hockey game and it seems MA fixed the problem, because the hit-rate of the mobs I usually hunt was back to normal.

If you think MA is gonna inform the public about every glitch and every tweak that negatively impacts us as players in every VU listing, you really haven't been playing Entropia very long. :laugh:

I'm just saying that I haven't experienced the same as you seem to have done. Hit rate seems perfectly normal to me, though it still varies between hunts - sometimes the mobs just have an angry day.

I know very well that what I read in the release notes is not always the whole story :)

Small sample size, but it's a start: out of 246 hits on me by ambu young-provider, two were crits

(from Witte's damage parsing utility)

more crit and more fail hits.

i get much more crits now.
But what me realy make angry, is to do much more fail hits now.
I have 5.5k LB and hit like as beginner now. And decay of Blads are realy not cheap.

im thinking to stop blade hunt now. but whit a lr41 outmaxed, i make same fail hits like whit the blade. That is realy not fun.:mad:

I think the failed hits are because of lag (as usual). I noticed that hit rate became way worse after VU 9.2 and it bugs the hell out of me. Sometimes I need three shots before I can hit a mob that I would have hit on the first try before the VU. I hope it will be corrected shortly and MA seems to care a lot about lag reduction these days.

About critical hits, it's also way more than accepted. How in the world could anyone accept getting a critical hit from almost every mob during a hunt. It wasn't fun before this VU and it certainly isn't now!

I'm just saying that I haven't experienced the same as you seem to have done. Hit rate seems perfectly normal to me, though it still varies between hunts - sometimes the mobs just have an angry day.

I know very well that what I read in the release notes is not always the whole story :)

I don´t want to quote meself so took oleg ;D The first 2 days up at CP was full with criticals, often 2 criticals in a row, almost made me cry... or laugh or.. On the third day the amount of criticals went down significantly, and on the 4th day it seems almost as it used to be. This includes the hit/miss ratio of aurlis. Don´t know what was going on on the first days after VU, but i don´t complain anymore cause i seem to be able to do the same solo maturities as before now.

Back