"Capturing Calypso" - Chapter 2

MindStar9

Self-Requested Deactivation
MindStar9
"Capturing Calypso"

Chapter 2 – Port Atlantis

Ok then, lights out, door locked, Port Atlantis here I come.

While walking the few steps to the televator, I began to reflect on my own arrival on this planet. Taking a deep breath, I got lost in memory during my descent to the lobby. I’ve always had a fondness for the Platinum Building at Treasure Island City because it was here that I established my home roots after discovering Amethera.

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/1-pa-tradehub.jpg [/wrap] Exiting the teleporter at Port Atlantis,
I find colonists engaged in the usual hustle and bustle of trading their wares, while more newer residents navigate their way through the city in search of further understanding of this strange environment that they are now calling home.

However, this isn’t where I want to start my journey, but rather at the drop-off point where it all begins ... at least it did initially before they added other cities as ports of entry from Earth. The arrival and orientation process has changed at Port Atlantis considerably, and new residents now have added guidance, but more about that in a minute.

[wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/2-pa-biolab.jpg[/wrap] As I make my way toward New Arrivals, I stop for a moment at the Minopolis Ioconu Industries Biolab. I’ve often wondered if they’re going to do anything more with these structures that are scattered throughout the planet, but I’m sure there is purpose that relates to our existence and survival somehow.

However, seemingly idle structures leave one to also wonder what our researchers and developers are involved with that turns their focus more elsewhere. Many unfinished projects often promote a restlessness within the colony, and why there is a vigilant eye on undertakings that divert energy and effort from unresolved issues. That aside, my journey through Port Atlantis continues.

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/3-pa-infoctr.jpg[/wrap] As I entered the more open area leading to New Arrivals, the recently constructed Information Center is a welcome sight, because it offers new residents an opportunity to become more acquainted with this strange land they will now call home. Prior to the implementation of the Information Center, Guides were employed going on close to two years ago that began assisting new arrivals to become acclimated to their new surroundings. While the Guide project started off with six Guides, the “Life of a Guide” is not the easiest to endure, but two of the original group remained dedicated, and to this day persevere in helping new arrivals gain a greater understanding of not only how to navigate their new surroundings, but guide them in their Calypso travels in order to experience more of what is offered to them.

Guides Simon and Emma are true assets within our Calypso community, with a growing involvement that engages the colonists more and more in the way of expanding knowledge, fun, and comraderie toward working more cohesively in our efforts to be a successful civilization. [wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/10-simonsnewunderwear.jpg[/wrap] Although, during this visit to Port Atlantis, Simon (whom I love dearly) approached me and asked if I wanted to “see” a secret. I said sure, but certainly wasn’t ready for what took place next. A partially exposed Simon brightened up his otherwise two-toned Guide uniform in a way that totally caused me to lose my composure. When Simon continued to say that it was the first time he had changed his underwear, I was a goner. The only response I could come up with was … at least he was thinking outside of his boxers. Simon never ceases to amaze and amuse me.

While the Guides offer beneficial services, and fellow colonists are ready to step up as Mentors, our colony is not devoid of those who think nothing of taking advantage of the less informed or experienced for personal gain. The hope is always that warnings of those less than honorable in their dealings with other colonists is sufficient, but the more crafty can be quite convincing, which is why the residents of Calypso have basically pleaded with our leaders to be more hands-on in punishing these rogue criminals. We are warned about all trades being final, and that someone cannot steal your belongings without your consent through the process of trading.

However, despite our advancement and the means to interact with each other in more engaging ways, the human factor still remains intact, in that … oftentimes when a level of trust is built between residents that lends itself to a more amenable transaction, there is still the risk of loss as a result of those with a less than honorable conscience. Therefore, it seems reasonable that a fail safe system be implemented in order to protect the citizens of Calypso from losing the possessions they either brought with them from Earth, or that they have acquired while establishing a residence in this new environment. It would also seem appropriate that until such a system is in place (and we hope there will be one), that the Guides and Mentors would incorporate fair warning into their orientation of new arrivals.

Calypso is comprised of many cities and locations that span two continents, and one of the key factors in navigating this planet, is being able to acquire the various teleporters that connect these areas. Therefore, in addition to helping new arrivals get started, the Guides have expanded their involvement within the community, and help new colonists acquire these teleporters in an effort to give them more mobility. New arrivals are not yet skilled in facing the creatures of the wild, and therefore, are certain to experience a temporary death. I say temporary, because with the advancement of life sustaining technology, we are able to revive at the nearest town or outpost with minimal health that slowly increases, unless we are equipped with a first aid pack that speeds health regeneration.

Unfortunately, items such as this are not standard issue upon arrival, but must be purchased. However, the loss to some on Earth was devastating, and many arrived with very little, if anything. To be alive in this technologically-advanced environment was enough for those who were grateful just to have the opportunity to build a new home, and while they knew it would be a struggle, their spirit keeps them enthusiastic about the potential.

The natural progression of life on Calypso lends itself though to those who are just unable to adjust, or to adapt to the decisions made by our leaders. Therefore, they become relegated to finding themselves either exiled as a result of their actions, or making a choice to leave our planet in search of other environments that are more suitable for their way of life. At any rate, while the population continues to grow, there is little fear at this time that Calypso will become overpopulated, and there is still expansive territory yet available for exploration. I love being a pioneer, don’t you?

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/4-arrivalship.jpg[/wrap] When I finally reached the new arrival area, the drop-off shuttle of new colonists reminded me of my own journey from Earth to Calypso. My brother Jet had arrived the month before I did, as our scheduled flights were organized not only according to geographical location, but profession as well. It seems pilots were in demand for commanding the shuttles to Calypso, but also as flight testers for the newly advanced simulators that one day would become a reality and launch heavily equipped fighter ships with the potential to deal with factions that may penetrate the outer perimeter of our planet in an effort to destroy Calypso and its inhabitants. Communication had been infrequent, but his position allowed him access to transmitters that kept us in touch so that I could inform him of my impending arrival.

[wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/5-welcometocalypso.jpg[/wrap] If it had not been for my brother, I’m afraid I would have been incredibly lost.
At the time I arrived nearly four years ago, the Guides and Information Center did not exist. However, my brother had a fair amount of knowledge that was helpful, and I know now in hindsight, that I was one of the fortunate in this respect.

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/6-instructionalsigns.jpg[/wrap]

As I stepped off the exiting platform of the drop-off ship when I arrived, the Welcome to Calypso sign was somewhat comforting, but today, I noticed the addition of the instructional signs that I'm sure are very helpful in guiding newcomers with getting started.

However, I also noticed beyond those signs, the ever-present message that there may not always be calm moments.

[wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/7-battleship.jpg[/wrap] Spacecraft well equipped with heavy artillery and the means to do battle inhabit many landing and lift-off pads sprinkled throughout our planet, but we have yet to see these as anything other than decorative accessories. As a secondary thought, these well-placed launch platforms may be part of a strategic plan for when space opens up for future travel, bringing with it the potential risk of even further attempts at invading our planet, for which it is prudent to obviously be prepared. Who knows what our leaders have in mind with some of the “stuff” they clutter our environment with, but one thing is for sure … change is on the horizon.

Speaking of our leaders, they are actually in the process of redesigning our space travel, but that’s all hush hush right now. I can understand that, because we periodically experience infiltrators who want to steal our advanced technology. Also, there’s rumor of potential space pirates lurking in the outer corridor of our planet, so I’m sure that design of some of our more intricate spacecraft need to be sufficiently equipped to do battle with such pirates. I have volunteered for battle before, but this would surely top any adrenaline rush I’ve experienced in the past. My two questions would be though … will there be an option to order my spacecraft in black, silver, and purple (StarShip9), and … will it come with my own personal “Wookie” as a co-pilot? That would be too much to ask, right? Hey, can’t blame a gal for trying. (Sorry Moonie, I've seen your action in the cockpit, but I need someone who can actually do more than just set the alarms off, if you know what I mean.) One thing is certain though, the colonists of Calypso are always at the ready to defend our homeland.

[wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/8-pjt.jpg[/wrap] As I passed by one of the many personal jet transporters that also sit idle, I wondered if these too would eventually be utilized by the colonists to travel across the plains of Calypso where teleporters weren’t so readily available. Ok, I need one of these too, because I have it in mind to taunt those big-ass spiders out there that smacked me around a little too often, and hover far enough above the Atrox Stalkers so they find themselves gasping at thin air instead of taking more chunks out of my purple backside.

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/9-welcometopa.jpg[/wrap] It’s so easy to get lost in thought, but moving on, the welcoming entrance to Port Atlantis from the arrival zone clearly gives the appeal of a real city ... however, one quickly learns that there are far more cities and locations beyond the walls of this development. Port Atlantis though is self-sufficient with it’s mobile centers that house auctioneers, technicians, terminals, and crafting equipment, but also a multi-level mall, and a bank.

Calypso’s own Research and Development Institute was also constructed at Port Atlantis, most likely because of it being a receiving port, and any materials or visiting researchers are easily transported to the facility.

11-researchdevinstitute.jpg

More modern structures like Bank NEVERDIE are popping up all over the planet, as business entities are finding that Calypso presents a potentially lucrative investment environment, but the economy tends to be unbalanced at times, so the full benefit of any financial gain has its own level of flexibility as the colony adapts to current and ever-changing trends.

12-bankneverdie.jpg

Port Atlantis is a wonderful starting point, but in this journey across the expansiveness of Calypso, I will explore all that this planet has to offer.

However, if I find anyone else who hasn’t changed their underwear since landing on this planet, I will petition our leaders to amend the constitution (EULA) to require weekly inspections to ensure that no strange bacteria has the potential for invading our colony and causing an epidemic of catastrophic proportions. Simon, you are being put on notice.

Are we having fun yet? … next stop … Twin Peaks!

* * * * * * * * *​
Port Atlantis Video - Pre-CE2

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm0ckU5aZhw[/YOUTUBE]​

Last edited:
Just a heads up ... I added the video segment for Port Atlantis in the opening post to capture some of the Port Atlantis area on film.

Back