Change Clothes and Armor appearance according to repair level.

Kassy

Old
I think it would add another level of visual quality to the game if all worn items had 5 different views.

Repair at 95% to 100% Item shines, crisp creases, glint or flashes of light off metal parts. brilliant colours.

Repair at 75% to 94% Item slightly rumpled.. no glint off metal surfaces, still clean. Colours still bright.

Repair at 25% to 74% No sharp creases.. colours average, a couple small smudges or stains. Armor looks a bit dull and has a couple scuffs.

Repair at 5% to 24% Clothes look rumpled, Grayish cast, some stains and smudges. Armour looks scratched, slightly dented, and slightly scuffed up.

Repair below 4% Clothes dark and dingy, many stains and smudges, tears or holes in wear spots. Armor beat up, dented, and has bits dangling off, rivets loose. Rattles and clanks when you walk or run.

Clothes could decay SLOWLY like lasers and scopes.. but only when you walk THROUGH trees and rough foliage. Go around trees rocks etc, and no decay to clothes. No decay to clothes if armour is worn.

Grunge clothing could become a new style.. some will prefer the clean and spiffy look.

It will aslo give a 'reason' to have a condition on clothes (which personally, i think is a useless attribute on clothing right now)

Maybe weapons could have the same 5 views.. from shiny glinting steel, to rusty bent and busted. lol

So, What do you all think?

Kassy

Last edited:
Clothes don't decay at the moment. ( except bleaching afaik )
I hope they never do. I really don't think we need more decay costs to deal with. If clothes decay is introduced based on this post I hope YOU will pay for ALL clothing decay ingame. :laugh:

The armour and weapons already have decay, so I think it would be a great visual improvement to show the decay as you described. I guess this might add server load and lag etc but would look cool, especially after a long hunt to return to town in tattered armour. :)

Last edited:
True, clothes do not decay, but you can still craft them at pretty low TT. At least I can, I'm not sure about tailoring beasts like Thriller :D
(Thanks again for the warm winter argonaut set, from about two months ago:))

Clothes don't decay at the moment. ( except bleaching afaik )
I hope they never do. I really don't think we need more decay costs to deal with. If clothes decay is introduced based on this post I hope YOU will pay for ALL clothing decay ingame. :laugh:

The armour and weapons already have decay, so I think it would be a great visual improvement to show the decay as you described. I guess this might add server load and lag etc but would look cool, especially after a long hunt to return to town in tattered armour. :)

Bah! Do you consider the decay on your Lasers and Scopes excessive? Personally, I think it odd that you can wear a shirt for 3 years on calypso, and it looks as good as the day you bought it.

It was just an idea anyway... the chances of it being implemented are slim to nil. Imagine the uproar if they did impliment it, and at the next login, your clothes look like rags. It will never happen.

I don't know why people think that every little feature will add server lag. The server has to tell all surrounding avatars what armour you have on so they can render you. It doesn't take any longer to send 13452835 (representing vigi thighs in pristine condition) than it does to send 18324753 (representing vigi thighs in bad condition). The client would just render whatever it's told to render. (just guessing at the mechanism.. so don't jump down my throat if i'm wrong)

It might take longer to install EU from scratch though. maybe 10% longer due to all the extra texture files. But I think it would be worth it.

Damn!!! now MA wil listen and out ur idea to use!!:(

i think that would be a nice visual effect trully :D

About clothes decay i don't think it should be implemented. But however with thi s idea of visual diference between TT value o fthe same clothes it would be "nice" if clothes could not be repaired. Before flaming me let me explain why :dunce:

At the moment TT value of clothe have little to no interest: you can wear a "almost broken shirt" and it looks as new as a high tt one.

Thus it's more interesting to find people able to craft low tt clothes. wich seem wierd to me. if the clothes would look nicer with high tt value and couldn't be repaired then the skill of the tailor become capital and uses of tailoring residue as well.

Great idea indeed for visual improvement

what I'd like to see instead of visual effects would be the actual % of protection offered from armor shown in armor's stats :)

J.

what I'd like to see instead of visual effects would be the actual % of protection offered from armor shown in armor's stats :)

J.

I think this idea is worth another thread.

Regarding visualisation I like the idea of the half broken armor. :D

Back