Cheap Thrills on Calypso

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
Cheap Thrills on Calypso:

Moo-NAMI!!! leads the way

For those who come to Calypso, the choices are simple; to hunt, to mine, to craft or to tailor, or a combination of any or all of the above. Many feel this is not enough, and find themselves pressured to follow set routes of advancement in the separate trades. The incredibly high skills of their peers can also dissuade advancement; some have "dropped out" as a result, and spend their time here exploring, making friends and finding new things to do within the spectrum available. This is how Moo-NAMI!!! came about, and soon led the new drive towards alternative entertainment, or "Extreme Sports" here on Calypso. Instead of countless hours skilling and "following the rules", these Avatars choose to go-for-broke on grand gestures and see what befalls them, and as such are Calypso's Thrill Seekers.

Moo-NAMI!!!

UO0071_thumb.jpg
[/url][br]Click to enlarge[/br][/IMG]

How Moo-NAMI!!! began...
It was one more run, where the ammo had all been fired and the blades had lost their edges. The nearest TP was Troy to the south, and preferring to log off in sight of civilisation, the many mobs inbetween would have to be avoided. Finding the Armax and Combibo unable to do more than keep up, a train of galloping cattle and squealing Combibo's soon formed behind, a few Foul joining in for good measure. Reaching the top of a high, steep cliff and jumping off, much thought was given to how wonderful it would be to have some friends, heavily armed and ready for action, lined up on the valley floor. The dozens of angry beasts may well plough through the lot of them, but wouldn't it be fun?......

UO0081_356184_thumb.jpg

.....and so Moo-NAMI!!! (like a Tsunami but with cows instead of water) was formed. Twice now, groups of assorted strangers have met at the foot of what has become known as "Cow Fall Cliff", and waited while herders take turns to leave the line of guns and return with a huge herd from the plateau above, shouting "Moo-NAMI!!!" as they jump off to join the line. Globals, deaths and hilarity have been the result.

UO0072_thumb.jpg

Some have compared this activity to the hunt-wrecking mob-trains seen elsewhere on Calypso, used in spite to swamp those disagreed with, or simply to disrupt. Those caught by the herds being gathered have a right to voice such opinions, and we can only hope that as the Moo-NAMI!!! grows (plans are afoot for a regular Monday Night event) the news reaches those in the area, and they learn to keep back from fast moving swarms of red on their radar!

Some folk nonetheless feel safe enough to mine in the path of the stampede...
SCREENSHOT_20061003204244343_thumb.jpg

...but we think if he knew what was coming, he may have chosen somewhere else to stand.... (he miraculously escaped unscathed by the way)

UO0182_thumb.jpg

Already the un-recognised skill of herding is being learnt by these brave pioneers; to keep a large Armax herd behind you takes practise. By circling the herd to collect the strays, and sensing the moment the animal breaks to give chase, more herders are coming back without a scratch, leading up to 50 dangerous mobs at a time. We can only wonder what herds will come over the cliff when the herders really learn their craft.

Other attempts at getting more from Calypso have been numerous; it seems the imagination of the people here is unstoppable. Talk has been made of the Alphabet Quest; the devilishly difficult task of globalling on every single mob in the game, in Alphabetical Order... a quest made no easier by the early need to kill both Araneatrox and Aurli, (hard enough for those who can) in sufficient numbers to global. One day will surely see the long line of globals appear in these forums that will mark the successful completion of this quest.

Entropian Parkour is also on the rise, with nimble competitors vying to "claim" every one of Calypso's scaleable landmarks. By all accounts, the roof of the Junkyard Bar at Fort Fury is a good place to start; one can scale it by getting on the railing around the balcony, and timing a jump to the lower roof at the front. It's then a simple matter of not falling through the graphics and hopping up to the top; you can even jump across to the building on the left. Other recent "claims" have been the roof of both Segna Forest and Solfais Crater revival structures, as well as "every roof in Nymphtown". Time will tell what they'll get up next.

Last edited:
Bridges of Mad As Hell County
So, you've got all the Tp's, you've found all the Auctions... what next? Well, have you crossed all of Calypso's bridges?

From the majestic solidity of Jor Bridge:
UO0161_thumb.jpg

The Utilitarian footbridges of Atlas Island:
UO0164_thumb.jpg

UO0163_969401_thumb.jpg

The gulley crossing at NymphTown:

UO0179_thumb.jpg

To the causeways of HadesHeim:

UO0182_thumb.jpg

The bridges of Calypso are found in unexpected places, serving little obvious purpose. Those who feel the same can find new motivation by taking rewarding treks to these landmarks, finding new terrain, mobs and opportunities as they travel unfamiliar ground. There may be bridges undiscovered yet; in a world of no trains, the bridge-spotters have a home.

Warning: this activity is not without danger.
UO0162_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm... found another bridge....

UO0183_thumb.jpg

.... visiting this one can also prove fatal at times.

Have had the chance to edit this from the mess I entered in the reporter competition, so now you see it as it should be.

Hugs, Hurrikane.

Last edited:
Quicksand Tragedy

This reporter is saddened to relate the recent death of a plucky young Molisk, which I witnessed in all it's gruesome detail.

Exploring the eastern desert below Fort Pandora, I heard squeals for help from behind a dune, and was confronted by the pitiful sight of a Molisk trapped to his knees in quicksand.
UO0167_488797_thumb.jpg

As soon as several photographs had been taken I rushed to help, extending my battle mace for him to grab hold of; but the panic made him lash out, and I had no choice but to gently subdue him, with the unfortunate effect of driving him further down.
UO0168_thumb.jpg

It was with a sad and heavy heart that I had to stop hitting him and leave the scene; I had no desire to have his death on my mind.
UO0174_thumb.jpg

My only thoughts were that a bigger club may have saved him.

As this thread started as an entry for the EF Reporters Competition, it will remain a frivolous news thread, to be added to from time to time, with stories on the theme of Cheap Thrills on Calypso.

There will be pointless competitions and trivial reports. Watch this space!

First up is this poser; where was this in-game pic taken?

UO0181_thumb.jpg

Answers to the discussion board....

Back