Chipping Optimizer Tool

seems the tool is no longer available or is it just a temporary problem ?

seems the tool is no longer available or is it just a temporary problem ?

works ok for me and, checking the logs, it's being used by dozens of users right now...

what's the exact problem you're having?

i don't get to see the page at all... it is saying that the connection is timing out ?!?
can you check my ip? sending it via PM.

Cheers.

i don't get to see the page at all... it is saying that the connection is timing out ?!?
can you check my ip? sending it via PM.

Cheers.

there are no IP-filtering rules in my site, so i'm not sure what can i do exactly with your IP address. btw, my web host does not allow to run traceroutes to external hosts.

all can i say is that, as far as i can tell, the site is running normally, and i see many users connected right now, so there must be something wrong in your side.

Based on a Teamspeak discussion in my society, I agreed to summarize a few things I have done with skill tools. I placed it on our forum, and someone mentioned maybe I should put it here also. Maybe this is a repeat...oh well, maybe it will help someone out there :)

1) PE Assistant. It is available at http://pe.jongma.org/ This is a great tool that is a bit dated, but I still use it. The clock, web browser, calc tool,....and most of all, the screen capture utility. See below for why.

2) EU Companion.

Long story short, it takes screen captures from #1 above (use png file format for the capture) of your skills pages, and parses them to text files.

Follow the EU COmpanion link at http://entropiawiki.com/PEStats.aspx.

This part was confusing for me, but once I got it working...it's nice. You can periodically look and see your skill gains over time, or even a hunt. Very cool.

3) Take the output file from 2, open it in excel, and do a "save as" and specify format as CSV. This saves the file as comma separated....the input for 4. (there has to be an easier way, but see *disclaimer below).

4) Go play with http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php

There is a long thread on it here: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68431

Read in the CSV file with your skills and play with the buttons and pull down menus.

Yes this sounds like alot. Without help it took me (*disclaimer: complete computer noob) a few hours. With this help above, an hour max for most people. It's all free stuff, so don't complain the steps to get here are clunky. Now you can see how skills work, what is worth chipping to, what is unatainable (practicably ever), what to work on, what skills matter for what you want to do, and what things you have been working on that, well, don't matter that much (DOH).

Last edited:
thx newfy for a nice summary (+rep)

anyway, i think it can be done even more easily:

- Get EUCompanion, and launch it
- From EU, show your skills screens, and hit print-screen in each one (no need to save the screenshots in jpg, pgn or any other format)
- EUCompanion parses them and generates the CSV automatically
- Go to the chipping tool and import the CSV file

(...) enjoy the tool

- Hit the "donate" button (just added!!) :silly2:

So, basically, it is the same process you described but no need for PEAss (for this purpose, that is), and no need to convert files with excel.

/jdegre.

Alternatively, don't forget that NRF will grab the screens from the game with a hotkey and parse the skills. You can then export as XML and upload to Entropedia. From there, this tool can import the results.

Alternatively, don't forget that NRF will grab the screens from the game with a hotkey and parse the skills. You can then export as XML and upload to Entropedia. From there, this tool can import the results.

yes, this is what i meant; EUComp also grabs screens internally and parses them on-the-fly, in a similar way to NRF. it is just that EUComp's hotkey is the "print-screen" key.
if it is useful, i could add support to import XML files from NRF directly on the tool (i don't think it is more than 20 minutes work), they only problem is that i could never make NRF work for me in my PC; it keeps GPF'ing whatever i do.
maybe i'll give it another try to check the last version, but of course, skill importing from Entropedia is always an option too (with additional benefits, in fact).

/jdegre.

having trouble with the chip optimiser, trying to load CSV skills output from NRF, browse to file, click "read sklls" buttonand it just says "OK (Read 0 Skills)".

what am i missing?

having trouble with the chip optimiser, trying to load CSV skills output from NRF, browse to file, click "read sklls" buttonand it just says "OK (Read 0 Skills)".

what am i missing?

at the moment, the only CSV file format supported is EUCompanion's CSV.

see my previous post; once i manage to get NRF working in my PC, probably i'll add support for its formats too (both CSV and XML).

/jdegre.

what am i missing?

You're missing the part where you upload to Entropedia first for the edification of the community. ;)

Actually i left out any other import options from WikiTools to help encourage the use of wiki. :)

:confused: im trying to use the tool linked to on the first page here. it has a option for loading skills from csv file. are you saying this is deliberatly dead?

:confused: im trying to use the tool linked to on the first page here. it has a option for loading skills from csv file. are you saying this is deliberatly dead?

It works fine for me, i use EU companion 2.0

No, i'm saying you have to upload to wiki and import from there for this utility from NRF.

Otherwise i was talking about WikiTools, my skill calculator.

I added the CSV importing option because there are people that prefer to keep their skills private.

So far, only the CSV from EUCompanion is supported. If needed, I'll add support for other formats.

@aridash: if you want to use this option, try EUCompanion; it should work with no problems.

Cheers,
/jdegre.

So far, only the CSV from EUCompanion is supported. If needed, I'll add support for other formats.

OK. I managed to make NRF work for me, and checked the CSV fileformat they're using. It turned out it was pretty straighforward to add support for both formats, so I have already added it in the tool.

So now, you can use the CSV option in the tool to import CSV files from either EUComp or NRF.

@aridash: if you want to check again with the CSV file from NRF that was not working before, maybe you can confirm if it works or not (i only tested with one data file I generated myself).

/jdegre.

very frustrating... cant get the csv to import. csv is csv surely? i've tried loading into calc and resaving to stripe out " characters, still no good :(

very frustrating... cant get the csv to import. csv is csv surely? i've tried loading into calc and resaving to stripe out " characters, still no good :(

the tool strips out the quotations already. i tried it yesterday exporting the skill data captured by NRF with the "windows" end-of-line format, but i did not try with the "unix" end-of-line.
which format did you choose for the data export?.

Ps.: i've done it again, and it worked ok. this is what i did (after NRF parses the screenshots and gets the skills):
- save skill log file as...
- select "csv" in file type
- select "windows" or "unix" (tried with both)
- select "," as separator (default)
- select "excel" as escape method (default)

Last edited:
@wizzszz: the whole app is designed to be cookie-less on purpose. i'm not a fan of session cookies (although sometimes they're unavoidable) but definitely i cannot stand persistent cookies. you can achieve the same purpose if you register an account on the site, the user/pwd are automatically filled by most browsers, so you just click "load skills" and there you go.

@doer: thx man... i'll update it right away.

/jdegre.

Although i don't understand the common aversion for cookies, i can live with that statement...

Still, a "Set Cookie" button for those who WANT to store it would surely be great! It just needs slight modification to get the server evalute them...

But if you don't like it, its ok for me...

And is there still ongoing research about the Health calculation?
According to your tool, i'm now 0.13 overdue!

I will take screenies on the exact skill gain that triggers the next health gain, if there is still someone trying to perfect it!

(And already forced a soc mate to take screenies on his last health gain :D )

And i've noticed several times now that the amount of peds needed to chip up went DOWN when i forced it to NOT include several skills in the calculation... And not only a few peds!
I had this several times now, so it seems to be a problem with the algoritm calculating the optimal costs!

I'll try to keep an eye on where this happened, let me know if you need info about the settings which produced this!

Although i don't understand the common aversion for cookies, i can live with that statement...

Still, a "Set Cookie" button for those who WANT to store it would surely be great! It just needs slight modification to get the server evalute them...

But if you don't like it, its ok for me...

And is there still ongoing research about the Health calculation?
According to your tool, i'm now 0.13 overdue!

I will take screenies on the exact skill gain that triggers the next health gain, if there is still someone trying to perfect it!

(And already forced a soc mate to take screenies on his last health gain :D )

And i've noticed several times now that the amount of peds needed to chip up went DOWN when i forced it to NOT include several skills in the calculation... And not only a few peds!
I had this several times now, so it seems to be a problem with the algoritm calculating the optimal costs!

I'll try to keep an eye on where this happened, let me know if you need info about the settings which produced this!

one of the advantages of not using cookies in the whole app is that you can start many different independent sessions in separate browser tabs (or windows); if i had used session cookies, you would be able to start just one session per browser. that's why i designed the app completely cookie-free.
nonetheless, i'll take note of your suggestion regarding the usage of a persistent cookie set only by a user request.

regarding the precision of the health calcs, this is the current best knowledge of the community about it. there is a thread (mentioned in the tool intro) where people are contributing their findings in order to make it more accurate. as of today, a deviation of 0.15-0.20 HPs is considered as very accurate. at very high levels (~200 HP) the deviations are usually much higher.

regarding the optimization algorithm, the effect you have seen is a known issue; it was discussed briefly some pages ago in this thread. all i can say is that i know why it happens, i know how it could be solved, but:
- it is quite hard to implement
- it would be very very computational intensive
- the precision gained is not worth it (given that other parameters in the whole application are handled with similar or lower levels of precision already)

cheers,
/jdegre.

The grenadier professions are ready for you to add when you get round to it jedgre. They're on pg 12 of the sticky.

There's still a bit of doubt over some of them but I'm 90+% sure of the numbers now.

The new skills don't contribute HP.

The grenadier professions are ready for you to add when you get round to it jedgre. They're on pg 12 of the sticky.

There's still a bit of doubt over some of them but I'm 90+% sure of the numbers now.

The new skills don't contribute HP.

ah, excellent jimmy...
i've been out the whole weekend, and i'm still catching up... nice to know these professions are almost done, i'll add them right away.

one of the advantages of not using cookies in the whole app is that you can start many different independent sessions in separate browser tabs (or windows); if i had used session cookies, you would be able to start just one session per browser. that's why i designed the app completely cookie-free.

Thanks for the reply, jdegre!

I will take a look to find the appropriate thread for my "health gain" screenies...

But the quoted statement is surely wrong, different instances of internet explorer share ONLY persistent cookies (with given expiry date/time), pure session cookies affect only the particular browser they were set in!

Might be different in other browser though...

Still, session cookies arent helpful in remembering the last entered value over time!

My suggestion didn't affect the skill values itself, i just wanted to preset the skill loader values to "pe-wiki" and my avatar name, which can be easily changed by hand before i hit "import skills", so different sessions at a time (which i use pretty often, too) wouldn't be affected!

Anyhow, thanks for your patience with my suggestions, it's a great tool!

But the quoted statement is surely wrong, different instances of internet explorer share ONLY persistent cookies (with given expiry date/time), pure session cookies affect only the particular browser they were set in!

Might be different in other browser though...

Yes, it seems to be different with firefox and explorer. I did a quick test with gmail, and firefox shares sesssion cookies across tabs AND browser windows; otoh, explorer shares session cookies across tabs but not across browser windows. Hmmm, not exactly a web developer's paradise... :)

More on topic... grenadier (hit) and (dmg) professions added.

/jdegre.

Hey again.
A new thing I think is needed. As you may know, I have an experiment on CP. I filled the data in your site for the start set of screens. Is there a way to dump all the skills in a txt file in order to share them on EF?
And is it posible to have multiple skill sets for the same account organized by date? I could realy use this feature comparing skills and comparing skill gains vs ammo spent.
Thank you.

Hey again.
A new thing I think is needed. As you may know, I have an experiment on CP. I filled the data in your site for the start set of screens. Is there a way to dump all the skills in a txt file in order to share them on EF?
And is it posible to have multiple skill sets for the same account organized by date? I could realy use this feature comparing skills and comparing skill gains vs ammo spent.
Thank you.

Hi BlackHawk,
I think that both suggestions would be very nice additions to the tool; i've put them in the to-do list. However, I'm not sure when I'll be able to implement them, and I would not like to commit to a certain date; most probably they will not be on time for your experiment (in real time); anyway, you can collect as much raw data from it (i know you're already recording screenshots), and afterwards, we'll think in a way to import it to the tool somehow to analyze it.

Cheers,
/jdegre.

your link dont work currently.... update? :D

no, it is not an update.
the hosting provider seems to have problems with the database; they said that it is a general problem, affecting many different sites hosted by this company.

at least i can confirm that it is not related to the application.

sorry, not much that i can do.. just wait...

/jdegre.

PS: It seems to be working correctly now.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to chip up to a certain average damage?
So say i want best average damage in laser. It would depend on both laser pistoleer and ranged laser damage.

And would it also be possible to take in account unlockable skills that you will unlock on the way. Say i have 30k to chip, i would unlock some skills, but they aren't taken into account.

I am fairly confident that the skill gains in terms of TT value of chips are in fact directly proportional to amount of ammo/bombs/nutrios spent depending on the profession you are talking about. I have a rather extensive amount of data for taming of skill gains in all related professions vs nutrios consumed and the TT skill gains in every relvant skill are 100% linear and thus extremely predictable.

Would be interesting to see if same holds for ammo and bombs.

Back