Chipping skills to gain skills..?

Mischief

Prowler
Society
Natural Born Killers
Steve Mischief Sunderland
Question came up in discussion.
If someone with, let's say 50k skills total, decides to chip it all out, then continues to play like nothing happened in order to regain these skills and then when 50k i reached again, chip all his "old" skills back.
Would it be a good or a bad deal, regarding the skill-loss at chipping and the gainrate differences low skill levels contra high dito? Assuming that the player spends an equal amount of time and money as before chipping?
Has it been done? Did it work?

Question came up in discussion.
If someone with, let's say 50k skills total, decides to chip it all out, then continues to play like nothing happened in order to regain these skills and then when 50k i reached again, chip all his "old" skills back.
Would it be a good or a bad deal, regarding the skill-loss at chipping and the gainrate differences low skill levels contra high dito? Assuming that the player spends an equal amount of time and money as before chipping?
Has it been done? Did it work?

If you do that you lose:
- 10% chipping out
- Value of the esis needed

You gain:
- Nothing (Chip in 2k skills where you already have 2k, and you'll get 2.5k or so)

this was discussed in an interesting thread (including tests) by doer regarding the evolution of the skill tt volume.
iirc, the skill gain (in tt) was pretty constant across the skill curve.

the hypothesis say that equal expenses produces an equal skill gain (in tt), regardless if you are at skill level 1 or 10k. of course it _looks like_ you gain a lot of skills at level 1, and _looks like_ you gain very very few skills at level 10k, but if you measure the skill gain with tt value, then it keeps roughly constant.

if this is correct, then you don't gain anything by chipping out and re-skilling (in fact, you lose 10% of the chipped out tt amount).

@vedder: the ESIs value is not lost because you pass its price to the buyer of the implant (as long as you don't count the value of your skills as if they were already stored in implants).

@vedder: the ESIs value is not lost because you pass its price to the buyer of the implant (as long as you don't count the value of your skills as if they were already stored in implants).
In this case he's chipping out, skilling and then chipping back in. There's no buyer or seller.

Beside that, it's too simple to say that the buyer pays the price for esi, imo. Maybe the price for the skills would be higher if the chips were free.

Last edited:
In this case he's chipping out, skilling and then chipping back in. There's no buyer or seller.

correct. i misread the first post and i thought that he meant the following: skill natural, chip out (and sell), skill natural again, etc... so you're always skilling natural in the bottom side of the skill curve.

This particular case doesn't make any sense to me, there is obvious loss here...

Question, would there be better attribute gains using this method?

Would you gain more agility/strength/intelligence working from 0 skills back to 50k than from 50k to wherever?

Just a thought.

:scratch2:

Question, would there be better attribute gains using this method?

Would you gain more agility/strength/intelligence working from 0 skills back to 50k than from 50k to wherever?

Just a thought.

:scratch2:

Don't think they are connected to other skills. Attributes gains are also slower and slower (not because of other skills tho)

this was discussed in an interesting thread (including tests) by doer regarding the evolution of the skill tt volume.
iirc, the skill gain (in tt) was pretty constant across the skill curve.

the hypothesis say that equal expenses produces an equal skill gain (in tt), regardless if you are at skill level 1 or 10k. of course it _looks like_ you gain a lot of skills at level 1, and _looks like_ you gain very very few skills at level 10k, but if you measure the skill gain with tt value, then it keeps roughly constant.

if this is correct, then you don't gain anything by chipping out and re-skilling (in fact, you lose 10% of the chipped out tt amount).

There may be one field where this does make sense and that is coloring. If you look at some of the diaries posted (I'm mainly thinking about Leeloo M's) then the skill gains using Orange paint drop offf significantly at a higher level. Chipping out and then skilling Orange again may provide a bit of a boost.

Of course I may be reading the diary worng and the skill gains may be constant on Orange, just that they are small amounts of volume and hence have little impact on the level at higher levels.

Just one thing I don't know.
If I chipin and gain HP,after that I chipout.
My blood will be bleed or I still alive with my new hp :D??

There may be one field where this does make sense and that is coloring. If you look at some of the diaries posted (I'm mainly thinking about Leeloo M's) then the skill gains using Orange paint drop offf significantly at a higher level. Chipping out and then skilling Orange again may provide a bit of a boost.

Of course I may be reading the diary worng and the skill gains may be constant on Orange, just that they are small amounts of volume and hence have little impact on the level at higher levels.
I think you misunderstood it tbh...
All skill gains slow down significantly after a while.
But the point is that 15 skill points at level 10000 can fill a 10 ped TT chip, which at level 2000 takes all 2000 skills to do the same.
So chipping out 2k skills, skill up again to 2000, and chip 2000 back in, will only give you ~2500 skills, which is slightly less than if you never chipped out and just kept skilling.

Just one thing I don't know.
If I chipin and gain HP,after that I chipout.
My blood will be bleed or I still alive with my new hp :D??
Yes, if you chip out HP giving skills, you'll lose HPs.
(If that's what you asked?)

I wanna add to this and say yes you gain from chipping out for some reason......

Here's what I think:

Let say your concentrating on 1 skill here as apose to your whole avatar, pistoleer after the Korss H400 the cost of SIB weapons imo outweighs the skill gain as you are now paying for the ability to be 10/10 with great dmg etc.

So I think if you skilled with SIB all the way till you max the Korss H400 then chip out and repeat a few times then put the whole lot in you would be gaining, again I have not tested this but I think it's possible as you recieve SIB against a few skills you may be able to keep certain unlockable skills open and gain the SIB on those too dependsing on what you chip out of course.

Just my 2 pecs :)

Back