Chromatophore (C,L) as a working armor

remontoire

Marauder
Society
Bravo Three-Nil
John itwasntme Remontoire
Chromatophore(C,L) @ 108% is the best of class armor for:
  1. Allophyl young (with 1c plates)
  2. Argonaut young / mature / scout (with 4c/2a/2a plates)
  3. Faucervix young / mature (any of 4c/3b/2b/1c plates)
  4. Feffoid outcast/bandit (with 5d)
  5. Molisk young (with 3a plates)
  6. Maffoid outcast / bandit (with 4b/6b/2c/2a plates)
  7. Snabblesnot male mature/old (with 4a or 2c plates)
  8. Snabblesnot female young / mature (with 4a/2c plates)
I was especially surprised to see it beat out Explorer with Argonauts. In several cases the achieved 17+ hp/pec is quite astonishing.

i prefer nude on all of those mobs lol and when your in the lvl of needing armor to hunt those i don't think you would buy a full set of an (L) armor that sucks unless you have plates against every mob

atleast i would focus more on UL armor that would stay with me a long while

so i still say it sucks

i prefer nude on all of those mobs lol and when your in the lvl of needing armor to hunt those i don't think you would buy a full set of an (L) armor that sucks unless you have plates against every mob

atleast i would focus more on UL armor that would stay with me a long while

so i still say it sucks

Maybe you have much more evade then than my measly 15 levels but I prefer to use armor on all of these that I do hunt. Especially when using melee. And at any rate, I pretty much never use an armor without plates. Like ... never. I can't think of any good reasons why you would want to do that either.

Gremlin, is the only set of armor you will need, most other things you can hunt unarmored, when you need armor put on gremlin, with the right plates and away you go.

Maybe you have much more evade then than my measly 15 levels but I prefer to use armor on all of these that I do hunt. Especially when using melee. And at any rate, I pretty much never use an armor without plates. Like ... never. I can't think of any good reasons why you would want to do that either.

One good reason for not using plates is cost. The decay from hits adds to the decay bill on armor so decay cost is higher than without plates. 2nd reason not to use plates on smaller mobs is that HP lost from hits is easily restored using a FAP. It will also decay of course and it might not be that much cheaper than to use plates but it do give skills when you use it.
So to sum it all up.
Using plates = added cost but no skill gains from healing.
Not using plates but fap more frequently = cost and skill gains from healing.

:wise:

Gremlin, is the only set of armor you will need, most other things you can hunt unarmored, when you need armor put on gremlin, with the right plates and away you go.

very true i love my grem =) getting boar now but phantom is also a good armor that is quite affordable

One good reason for not using plates is cost. The decay from hits adds to the decay bill on armor so decay cost is higher than without plates. 2nd reason not to use plates on smaller mobs is that HP lost from hits is easily restored using a FAP. It will also decay of course and it might not be that much cheaper than to use plates but it do give skills when you use it.
So to sum it all up.

yep.. dps can also replace them both

Uhh... the reason to use plates on any mob is because for any level of protection, decay from correctly balanced armor + plates is less than the decay if you had used only armor to achieve the protection. Maybe you need to re-read the Armor Decay article?

So to sum it all up.

Like remontoire points out, if you're going for pure eco it's generally best to be wearing plates. 10 protection from plates plus 10 protection from armour is cheaper decaywise than 20 protection from armour alone. And fap decay generally costs more than the equivalent armour decay from protection (unless you're using uber faps or have completely crazy overprotecting armour on).

For sure though, you do gain skills from fapping. Then again you also gain skills from the shooting you would be doing if you weren't fapping ;)

Like remontoire points out, if you're going for pure eco it's generally best to be wearing plates. 10 protection from plates plus 10 protection from armour is cheaper decaywise than 20 protection from armour alone. And fap decay generally costs more than the equivalent armour decay from protection (unless you're using uber faps or have completely crazy overprotecting armour on).

For sure though, you do gain skills from fapping. Then again you also gain skills from the shooting you would be doing if you weren't fapping ;)

though the mobs on that list hardly any fapping would be needed either way but like you hinted at "eco" is a thin line with many faces

Uhh... the reason to use plates on any mob is because for any level of protection, decay from correctly balanced armor + plates is less than the decay if you had used only armor to achieve the protection. Maybe you need to re-read the Armor Decay article?

Sure, I can do that. Don't think it will change my views though. :)

Actually, one thing a lot of experienced, higher skilled players forget is how things were "back in the old days". Mobs we consider easy-peasie now weren't always so easy when our health, evade, dmg/sec. was a lot lower. (Not saying remontoire is a complete n00b. Just lower skilled so far, though that will slowly change.) We all went through our stages of using goblin, pixie, etc. Many of us still use those armors.

Chromatophore (C,L) is a direct competitor to the goblin armor, and as such it should be considered in that light.

• It doesn't over-protect on snables.
  • The impact stats are quite agreeable. Many beginner mobs are impact-only, and the next stage is mostly impact+cut
  • Compare this vs. goblin vs. small bery, and you find a nice savings, with only minor loss of protection.
  • Yes, the addition of plates makes it and even more versatile, though the same could be said for any armor.
  • Lower total protection = lower minimum decay from small mobs.
  • Plus, hard to ignore that lack of "7 pec equipping tax" that goblin has.
  • We can skip the "coloring" thing, simply because most beginners won't spend money coloring their armor.

In short, I give Chromatophore a :thumbup:.

Last edited:
Plus, hard to ignore that lack of "7 pec equipping tax" that goblin has.

That 7pec savings is huge for a low level player.
7pec on a 10ped hunt is 0.7%

That would be the equivalent of you paying an extra 7ped for a 1kped hunt.

That 7pec savings is huge for a low level player.
7pec on a 10ped hunt is 0.7%

That would be the equivalent of you paying an extra 7ped for a 1kped hunt.

don't think i'd care about 7ped on a 1Kped hunt when on a good day i'd loose 300-400ped with the current loot return
or lately probably 700ped

then again as a noob 3ped back from 10ped would suck equally much

don't think i'd care about 7ped on a 1Kped hunt when on a good day i'd loose 300-400ped with the current loot return

I would care, and I do care.
Sure you may loose 1-200ped on the hunt, but you can possibly make that back later, you will never be able to get back the 7ped here or there that you waste without regard to the larger picture.

To do anything efficiently you need to shave ALL the fat off of that activity even if it seems negligible it will add up and hurt you in the end.

narfi

As usual you are right about many things, JohnC, and I agree that it's easy to forget how it was back then when I first sat foot on Calypso. Still, Pixie is an armor that resides in my carried inventory and is frequently used on mobs like small Argos, Molisk etc.
What I am opposing is the OPs view on the qualities of the Chromatophore (C,L) armor with various plates attached but doesn't compare it to any other armor unplated.
A newbie or semi-newbie isn't very likely to have 5-7 different sets of plates in their possession so there is a built-in fault in the comparison.
Haven't tried Chromatophore yet myself so can't really judge it's eco.

just my :twocents:

I would care, and I do care.
Sure you may loose 1-200ped on the hunt, but you can possibly make that back later, you will never be able to get back the 7ped here or there that you waste without regard to the larger picture.

To do anything efficiently you need to shave ALL the fat off of that activity even if it seems negligible it will add up and hurt you in the end.

narfi

5ped waste each time you die in pvp4 won't stop me from hunting or pvp'ing there even if I had the eluding 90% return I'd still go - so crying over 7 ped is like crying over death it will happen either way. There is nothing called "get those peds back later" atleast not in my case

Point being you can't win so stop getting upset when you lose

Back