Common wrongs in hunting

eddric

Stalker
Society
Jurai Blood
eddric massive slasher
There is an issue I must state here which most hunters make. Some of them are sub-ignorant, but the majority is ignorant about loot-time-mob relation. What I will tell you here may drop your hunting losses, and even get profit sometimes. Let me explain. First of all, make your own mind about the loot of a single mob, for ex. maffoids: when I start killing it, I look at loot screen. avg. is lets say 1.5-2 peds for maffs. since it costs min. 2 peds to kill an outcast.

if you are looting 1 ped-no loot-1.5 ped-no loot-no loot-0.65-etc. it is going bad isnt it? CHANGE MOB.
if you are looting 2 peds-3 peds-no loot-2 peds-1.5 peds-15 peds-1.5-3-2-1.46-etc. this is probably be a plus run and who knows one might get a global too. CONTINUE.

Atrox: youngs may give a few no looters, but must not be more than 5. avg. cost is like 2.5-3 peds for youngs, and maybe 10 ped max. for OAs. then our min. must be 2-3 peds and prov and bigger maturity must be looting 4-5 peds mostly. This is what I consider normal loot and may continue. No way grinding if you dont have a fat wallet and you are watching your returns like I do.

P.S. After a great run on the mob, if you decide to go back and fire some more on that mob, you will see the loot is mostly gone. 99% of the cases you will lose if you hunt them again even it is only 5 minutes later. :mad: I know happened to me a lot.

How can I continue a winning streak on same mob?
Well, if the game will give a big HOF outta that mob, it is still good.%1 chance though. What I say, do NOT tt your loot from the successful run. Call out a friend and make him/her buy you ammo. do NOT give him the ped for the new ammo yet. Just do your repairs and do it on the same repair terminal of the place you hunt. your chance for loot continues with a bigger %.

Just my thoughts, works for me. However I still lose, but lose in weapon decay mostly.What I call gun money. broke a korss400 lately in a day and lost the tt of the gun at the end. Well, if only 2 UL2s from armaxes would be like 60-70 and not 30 tt! and the tiger gloves L I looted from maffs would be 70-80 and NOT 30 tt!

Reactions: Eva
There is an issue I must state here which most hunters make. Some of them are sub-ignorant, but the majority is ignorant about loot-time-mob relation. What I will tell you here may drop your hunting losses, and even get profit sometimes. Let me explain. First of all, make your own mind about the loot of a single mob, for ex. maffoids: when I start killing it, I look at loot screen. avg. is lets say 1.5-2 peds for maffs. since it costs min. 2 peds to kill an outcast.

if you are looting 1 ped-no loot-1.5 ped-no loot-no loot-0.65-etc. it is going bad isnt it? CHANGE MOB.
if you are looting 2 peds-3 peds-no loot-2 peds-1.5 peds-15 peds-1.5-3-2-1.46-etc. this is probably be a plus run and who knows one might get a global too. CONTINUE.

Atrox: youngs may give a few no looters, but must not be more than 5. avg. cost is like 2.5-3 peds for youngs, and maybe 10 ped max. for OAs. then our min. must be 2-3 peds and prov and bigger maturity must be looting 4-5 peds mostly. This is what I consider normal loot and may continue. No way grinding if you dont have a fat wallet and you are watching your returns like I do.

P.S. After a great run on the mob, if you decide to go back and fire some more on that mob, you will see the loot is mostly gone. 99% of the cases you will lose if you hunt them again even it is only 5 minutes later. :mad: I know happened to me a lot.

Well, if the game will give a big HOF outta that mob, it is still good.%1 chance though. What I say, do NOT tt your loot from the successful run. Call out a friend and make him/her buy you ammo. do NOT give him the ped for the new ammo yet. Just do your repairs and do it on the same repair terminal of the place you hunt. your chance for loot continues with a bigger %.

Just my thoughts, works for me. However I still lose, but lose in weapon decay mostly.What I call gun money. broke a korss400 lately in a day and lost the tt of the gun at the end. Well, if only 2 UL2s from armaxes would be like 60-70 and not 30 tt! and the tiger gloves L I looted from maffs would be 70-80 and NOT 30 tt!

If you have to heal, twice per kill, with your combat FAP you are way over your head for that MOB. But within reasonable standards. Best is to not heal during combat, doing them bigger mobs might get you a HoF though... cough did i say dat...really? hmm well can't take it back now..... i said that really...?

I think you have something here. MA has to counter efficiency somehow. I mean, if I can spend x peds on a mob, knowing that I will get >x back, I will gladly kill mob z with x ped, b gun to get >x reward. MA has to vary it somehow.... Like perhaps your fluctuating damage has something to do with it ?

I think that it is very similar to mining now in that respect.

what if its: no loot - no loot - 1 ped - no loot - 1 ped - no loot - no loot - (brake) - hof
and you quit just before the hof?

That ammo part was interesting.
I noticed that buying ammo from tt after hunt ( or changing amp when minning) is having impact on your return.
Maybe each stack of ammo, or each amp has its own individual parameters, who knows.

what if its: no loot - no loot - 1 ped - no loot - 1 ped - no loot - no loot - (brake) - hof
and you quit just before the hof?
Well, it this is the case, obviously you will never know :D

Well, it this is the case, obviously you will never know :D

Don't we have enough examples of people burning themselves and their ped cards out - if not leaving the game - in cases they have continued chugging through horrible loot in the hopes there will be that makeup HOF, that in the end never came?

Bad loot is bad loot, not a prologue to a ATH.

Interesting thread, in some ways it makes sense. I know one of my team mates was using this method on scips :D. He could see the value gradually increasing so we carried on and managed to get a HOF ;).

That's nonsense. No matter how much you try changing mobs, you will never manage to get back more TT than you spend, in the long run. You'll just drive yourself crazy micromanaging every mob's loot and moving around all the time.

If you're camping a mob for extended periods of time, just hide the loot window if the terrible loots frustrate you and keep at it. Anybody who has done it long enough knows there's no reason to panic on a bad run, as much as there's no reason to feel like the lucky lottery winner when you had a profit run.

In my opinion the mistakes most of EU's hunters makes are not these, but hunting way over what their skills allow.

heh on the long run you get 90% tt return anyway so you can't really fight that part. If someone comes up with a way to predict when good MU items drop I would be much more interested.

heh on the long run you get 90% tt return anyway so you can't really fight that part. .

I can sure fight the "everyone gets 90% TT return" myth.

Unless you mean greater then 5 years for "a long run" :laugh:

I can sure fight the "everyone gets 90% TT return" myth.

Unless you mean greater then 5 years for "a long run" :laugh:

the easiest way to accept it is keeping exact log of your ttin VS ttout over 50k turnover.
Personaly I have actualy been there at 25k turnover already...
You have to use a maxed weapon all the time though because not maxed ones give much higher variations in loot and your total turnover would have to be much higher too.

The quote in your signature is the best reply to this. Why on earth would they program a system like that? :scratch2:

That's nonsense. No matter how much you try changing mobs, you will never manage to get back more TT than you spend, in the long run. You'll just drive yourself crazy micromanaging every mob's loot and moving around all the time.

If you're camping a mob for extended periods of time, just hide the loot window if the terrible loots frustrate you and keep at it. Anybody who has done it long enough knows there's no reason to panic on a bad run, as much as there's no reason to feel like the lucky lottery winner when you had a profit run.

In my opinion the mistakes most of EU's hunters makes are not these, but hunting way over what their skills allow.

What he said

I have countless runs were the first 1.5H the loot sucks and the last 1h of loot is great and the whole run is profit. Also the opposite has happed many times. I also have had 5 runs in a row with profit, 5 runs with loss and something in between that... I grind and maintain good eco and I am in the profit zone (with margins).:yup:

Well, i tried to believe many theories and methods.. That was on my first year of playing, my lucky period. I used to try something different, some other theory, and would get lucky and think that it worked.

Around june last year my luck ended. Tried countless theories, ideas, changes and nothing, absolutely nothing saved me from having losses.

Not even taking a break. Just took a break of like 4 months and came back and am still having losses just like, if not worse, than before right after depositing.

My final theory: The only thing you can control is your EXPENSES, and NEVER your loot/return, regardless of what you do.

My theory is Chirpies are overdue for a HOF, so I am going to stick with hunting Chirpies...:laugh:

The way I experience it, when loot is bad it´s bad on all mobs and locations and when looot is good it´s good on all mobs and locations. So when loots is good dont kill/aggro the little ones in between, you might just get your global on one of them, instead of the mob you trying to global on. ;)

/Wille

Yeah, you may be right, I am not saying I invented anything :)

But I do believe in every profession there is a good server or area what u call it that is giving money at the EXACT time you are losing. When you hunt, and cant get anything, and see globals on chat? then you say ooo probably he was on a break and came back, or lost a lot yesterday, or noob luck, or old time player, BUT never admit to yourself that YOU are shooting the wrong mob. Come on. get a grip.

the game is more dynamic than ever these days, so in order to get loot , get at least 90% of your ammo, you have to be more dynamic. The camping is for the rich, and for the old.

The way I experience it, when loot is bad it´s bad on all mobs and locations and when looot is good it´s good on all mobs and locations. So when loots is good dont kill/aggro the little ones in between, you might just get your global on one of them, instead of the mob you trying to global on. ;)

/Wille

One mob looting well does not mean another will also or that some mob looting reasonably will mean I can move to another and expect teh loot to conitnue. I have never seen that.

The easiest "move" to try to improve loot is switch Eudoria for Amethera or vice versa.

Meh i just kill stuff. No one can say how bad or good a run will be until its over. Even trusting your judgment can be wrong. Ive had runs where i was sure i lost, and they were profit runs; or the opposite, runs where i was sure i was in profit but it ended up being a loss.

You can try to chase a loot wave, and probably fail....

Or you can accept there will be bad times and try to kill enough at once that statistical probability evens out your returns to a reasonable amount.

Which is what i do. If you cant kill hundreds per run, you are either killing things too big for your ped card, or you are gambling; in either case you are likely to get very bad runs often. That doesn't mean you will profit if you kill hundreds per run, it just evens out the returns. Not completely it still fluctuates, but it events them out quite a bit.

I quit trying to "profit" a long time ago.
I just log in and expect to piss off a couple hundred ped a week.
Im a much happier person now that Ive lowered my expectations,
and the game is fun again. :yup:

I think XKCD said it best:
correlation.png

the easiest way to accept it is keeping exact log of your ttin VS ttout over 50k turnover.
Personaly I have actualy been there at 25k turnover already...
You have to use a maxed weapon all the time though because not maxed ones give much higher variations in loot and your total turnover would have to be much higher too.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt..

Meh i just kill stuff. No one can say how bad or good a run will be until its over. Even trusting your judgment can be wrong. Ive had runs where i was sure i lost, and they were profit runs; or the opposite, runs where i was sure i was in profit but it ended up being a loss.

You can try to chase a loot wave, and probably fail....

Or you can accept there will be bad times and try to kill enough at once that statistical probability evens out your returns to a reasonable amount.

Which is what i do. If you cant kill hundreds per run, you are either killing things too big for your ped card, or you are gambling; in either case you are likely to get very bad runs often. That doesn't mean you will profit if you kill hundreds per run, it just evens out the returns. Not completely it still fluctuates, but it events them out quite a bit.

I cant put it better than this. :)

I am sorry to disappoint you, but that theory is just a small drop in the ocean. Like many others "methods" I have tried this already few years ago. Amazing about them all: They seem to "work" a couple a weeks, or days and after that you are not able to repeat it.

Here are some more "methods" for you try that worked in the past for me to "generate" good loot for me, but then stopped:

Buy all ammo with 111 peds at the same time.
Buy ammo for the full amount of your ped card.
Buy ammo for the full amount of your ped card. TT again. Buy ammo for the full amount of your ped card. TT again. Repeat for x times.
Buy ammo in 5 ped pieces.
Buy ammo in 11 ped pieces.
Buy ammo in 50 ped pieces. Sell in 50 pieces. Buy in 40 pieces. Sell in 40 pieces. -> down to 10 pieces -> go hunt.
Use Teleport chip at the trade terminal and buy ammo with the bubble up.
Don't use the TT at all, let a friend buy ammo.
Don't use the TT at all, let a friend buy ammo, team him up as luck modifier.
Don't use the TT at all, let a friend buy ammo, take him with you as luck modifier without team.

Hunt strictly east to west on the same line.
Hunt strictly west to east on the same line.
Hunt strictly north to south on the same line.
Hunt strictly south to north on the same line.
Hunt close to tp.
Hunt 1 lesser tp jump from tps.
Hunt 2 minor top jump from tps.
Hunt near cabin lodge of LAs.
Hunt near landmarker of LAs.
Hunt same time every day.
Hunt same time every day, same spot.
Hunt same time every day, spot + 1000 in every coord.

Killshot mobs only on even coordinates.
Killshot mobs only on uneven coordinates.
Time your kills to killshot on full minute markers.
Time your kills to killshot on the same second marker.
Kill 10 same maturity then kill 3 higher+1 maturity. Repeat for the hunt.
Kill 10 same maturity then kill 3 lower-1 maturity. Repeat for the hunt.
Start kill lowest maturity of mob 5 times, then higher+1 maturity 5 mobs till highest maturity in aera available.

Alphabet hunting. Kill 10 mobs of an "A" mob, move to next available letter that you can hunt.

and many more. Many of those just came up of the pure boredom that gameplay in EU represents. And some where surprisingly effective over a couple of days.

Best working I remember was back at old Ithaca, when the Trox were south, the combination: Hunt 1 lesser tp jump from tps then Hunt strictly north to south on the same line.

Only thing you can say about hunting on PC is what everyone else should know: You get better results "repeatable" if you hunt same mobs in same area with other hunters. And even that is bound to have bad streaks. Anything else is just pure wishful thinking.

Heh my run last night was/is a good example of not trusting your gut.

In the first 50 peds of ammo i had a few minis, and a 19 ped esi. So i was up over 200 ped with markup without any globals. By the end of the night(about 1100 ped cycled) and a bunch of minis(no globals) i thought for sure the run was in the black with markup. I ended up a with ~100 ped loss run.

Back