ComPet: Behind The Game, Overview

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher

[h=2]ComPet: Behind The Game[/h][h=3]#1 Overview[/h]What Kind of Game is Compet?
ComPet is a turn-based battle game where you collect and train a vast array of pets to compete head-to-head with opponents worldwide. Outwit your foes with strategic combinations of abilities that carry you to victory! Play for fun or as a ‘cash-gamer’ as you hoard wealth and grow your estate.

!

The Village
The village is the ‘command centre’ that gives you complete control over your pets. Here you can research new combat skills, train them, assign guard duty, send them on quests or use them to battle against the AI or other players.
Each building in the village has a specific function: for instance, the Gold Mine allows you to mine gold and the Vault allows you to store it. Buildings can be upgraded to allow players bonuses and further possibilities for progression.

!

Pets
The stars of the game are your pets. They are your gladiators, your defenders and your pride and joy! There are 4 different classes of pets: Aggressive, Defensive, Attuned and Balanced. Each class has a different combination of statistics that influences their combat style. The more you battle with your pets and put them on quests, the more they can ‘level up’ and progress in skill.

!

Battles
Battling is comprised of a turn-based combat system. Players must select a set of abilities (attacks) for their pets to use in battle. Battling involves the interplay of four key elements: mojo, health, endurance and ferocity. As your pet ‘levels up’ you gain points which can then be distributed amongst these four elements.

!

Quests
A single-player mode where you spend gold to send your pet on a quest, thereby gaining rewards and experience.

!

Beasts
This is a single-player 'campaign' mode where you battle against the AI.

!

Real Cash
You can choose to use real cash in the game, although this is not mandatory. Using real cash can speed up certain processes meaning you progress faster. It also gives you the option to battle other players for real money.

Stay tuned for the next installment of ‘Compet: Behind The Game’!

!

Originally Posted Here

interesting...
So it's basically a freemium game which sounds good, and if it works bug free it would do as well as the thousands of other games of this genre out there.
The gambling, ehh I mean fighting for money is prolly quite unique. It actually reminds me of the "cock magic" episode of southpark. Together with the "freemium isn't free" episode of last year; it makes me wonder if someone of the MA board got their inspiration from south park?

ok. so when can we start doing all that wonderful stuff?

Sounds interesting! Now again what is the link between EU and this game again? More, will there be any benefits PP will see from this new game? What if this game does better than EU, will you move more of your development team over to the new game?

Also if there will be no real link to EU then I ask 711 to follow the rules of your forum and remove the Ops post please.

Sounds interesting! Now again what is the link between EU and this game again? More, will there be any benefits PP will see from this new game? What if this game does better than EU, will you move more of your development team over to the new game?

It's from the same game developer and there is a vague promise of pets being exportable.
Thing is, mobile games and an MMO like EU are miles apart in consumers eyes. Many PC gamers think shit about mobile games and many mobile gamers don't have a gaming rig.

If it is more successful.
There are some counter indications:

1. will the fighting with money stay? It awfully looks like gambling and although some gambling is currently tolerated considering sport bets; it is under debate and it might end up being forbidden altogether.

2. How will they attract players? MA aren't really known for good advertising. They will have the existing player-base (currently there are under 4000 hunters in the last 30 days). But how will they compete in a totally overcrowded market?

3. How many bugs will it have? Apps get reviews; and EU already has its fanboys and haters. Problem is if the game has bugs and gets a low rating; it will add a stigma. They are very vulnerable to bad reviews. I hope they realized this.

From what I can tell this will be just another small game somewhere in the app store; which will have 80% overlap with the EU player-base. It will just compete with EU more than with any competition.
I am certain that in the end, it will never deliver any net profit for MA. But hey, I love to be proven wrong.

You're not betting cash in this game. I'm sure you are buying currency like any other freemium game. Compet deed owners will get a piece of that revenue.. which statistically can be very significant. For example, I play a freemium game called fantasy war tactics.. there are people who have spent over $20k on set gear. Don't underestimate the whales.

1. will the fighting with money stay? It awfully looks like gambling and although some gambling is currently tolerated considering sport bets; it is under debate and it might end up being forbidden altogether.

Umm you can say this about Compet game but still defend EU against doing the same thing? Wow!!!

2. How will they attract players? MA aren't really known for good advertising. They will have the existing player-base (currently there are under 4000 hunters in the last 30 days). But how will they compete in a totally overcrowded market?

It is just another source of revenue for them, it will take some sort of advertising I would guess. But think of it this way a game of pokemon you can wager on. You may not realize this but years ago I knew more 25+ year old people playing pokemon then kids. Just add money to the mix and the craze will start all over again.

3. How many bugs will it have? Apps get reviews; and EU already has its fanboys and haters. Problem is if the game has bugs and gets a low rating; it will add a stigma. They are very vulnerable to bad reviews. I hope they realized this.

That is the golden question :D How many bugs will be in the game, hopefully only the pet bugs you use in combat :D

From what I can tell this will be just another small game somewhere in the app store; which will have 80% overlap with the EU player-base. It will just compete with EU more than with any competition.
I am certain that in the end, it will never deliver any net profit for MA. But hey, I love to be proven wrong.

Won't compete with EU at all really EU is a PC high end graphics game, this is a tablet/cell phone game. You can play this game almost everywhere you have internet service on a somewhat cheap and portable device. Unlike entropia universe which takes a pretty decent machine that costs at least a grand to play with any reasonable graphics quality. Don't really see any competition, instead I see deed holders earning PEDs to cycle into EU from people playing the compet game.

Not only is compet tied with the deeds, you can train and level pets in EU to take to the compet game as well whenever that gets implemented so this will probably create revenue for stable owners as I think stables will be the interface to do this most likely.

So there is some ties to EU that I do not see hurting EU in anyway.

ofc these are just my views and opinions about this.

Last edited:

Someone once described EU as a giant sea tanker struggling further each year to turn away from the rocks. It's full of so much baggage and dead items from years of differing management styles, it's lost it's way and any sort of direction.

I think many EU players are looking forward to compet, and strangely look at it as not only a great new start, but a connection with EU even if there was no connection.

Put this is way, EU is not fun to me anymore. It desires or "needs" a lot of money to have fun, to pay for everything from deed holders, land owners, PP staff, investment profits,taxes on taxes on taxes (there're more investors than depositors). You know MA are forcing deposits when there's hardly any ESI's to enable you to sell a few skills for ped.

So enough....I desire a brand new start, and more importantly a chance to have some low cost fun, and then maybe in future some really cool cross-over with EU pets and most likely cross over in currency (ped account).

If it's massively successful that's great for the whole Mindark brand. This little game could turn around the whole business. Expect to see tons of disillusioned EU players in there.

Rick

Not only is compet tied with the deeds, you can train and level pets in EU to take to the compet game as well whenever that gets implemented so this will probably create revenue for stable owners as I think stables will be the interface to do this most likely.

This is why I created my other thread. NO they will not have a link as planned. In the above does it say anything about buying the pets from EU? No but it does state that you can train them in Compets.

As well sorry don't have the link but MA made it clear that the pets would have no link between the game. I think it was the last Update or the one before it?

This is why I created my other thread. NO they will not have a link as planned. In the above does it say anything about buying the pets from EU? No but it does state that you can train them in Compets.

As well sorry don't have the link but MA made it clear that the pets would have no link between the game. I think it was the last Update or the one before it?

It doesn't say they won't allow it, they just said not all pets will be able to, and more data to come about this in the future. Notice it says not all pets will originate in Entropia Universe but that also means some will originate in Entropia Universe. ORIGINATE is the key word and they even went on to also stress INSPIRED BY which indicates origination in EU game not just based on pets in EU.

Here is their latest I can find:

[h=4]Will all pets available in ComPet be inspired by Entropia Universe creatures, and will all pets used in ComPet be provided by Entropia Universe tamers and stables?[/h]While the Entropia Universe taming system will definitely be a big part of the ComPet economy, not all ComPet pets will originate in Entropia Universe or be inspired by existing creatures. Many of the low-level ComPets will be generated by the ComPet system itself so that new players can get started right away. More details on the interaction between the Entropia Universe taming and stable systems and ComPet will be announced in the near future.

@Rick

I don't see compets as a replacement for PE for me, its just another game, from what I have read, you should be able to quit playing PE and go play compets if that what makes you happy.

I was not really interested in pets when they were introduced in PE, I'm still not convinced they are all that great, but I don't want to be left out if they do something cool with them in the future.

I had a hunter circa 2005 in that fantasy game made by Blizzard. I really liked the way they designed pets to be used with hunters for offensive/defensive capabilities. I had hoped we might see the same kind of features with pets here, but all we get are mostly expensive lame passive buffs. As it is, I only see two worth anything, acceleration and crit reduce buff, and I think the crit reduce is pretty weak.

I loved my pets in that other game, I loved that I had a great tank/offtank when I needed it, I loved that I had great additional dps when I needed it, it was really fun to play a hunter ( I actually had all the toons and had teams of toons, so I had a lot of experience with them). These pets are like having a lazy house cat. They just hang around and eat and don't add much utility. Luckily we don't have to clean a litter box. I'm hoping for much more. I hope I am not disappointed, but I am not getting my hopes up too much, after all, this is MA we're dealing with here.

ComPet is a turn-based battle game where you collect and train a vast array of pets ...
I remember reading a vague hint about being able to export pets from EU to ComPet.
I also remember I didn't take it too seriously. It's obvious why EU players would want this to be true, I can see $ signs rolling in so many eyes (which is quite natural reaction).

The real question we should ask is: Why should MA do that?

From their point of view, a good ComPet player is the one who pays 2 play. Income source for MA. We want ComPet players to pay even more, part of it would go to MA (they definitely won't give up their share), and another part on top of that would go to us, EU players.
Why make the ComPet twice as expensive to play and risk losing part of the potential customer base as a result? The economies of scale - by lowering the cost for each customer u gain much bigger customer base and as a result your revenue will increase.
So, why should MA risk losing their profit? Why share it with the EU playerbase? Out of their kind heart? What's in it for them?

The simple and straightforward answer is, nothing.

There could be an indirect reason thou. It comes with lots of "IF's"...
IF the ComPet will be very successful, IF it's playerbase will surpass EU playerbase by several magnitudes, THEN MA might see this as an opportunity to advertise their another game - by creating a direct link between 2 games.
Mind you, ComPet playerbase has to be really huge for this to have any effect, 'cause the overlapping between PC gamers and phone app gamers is only a small fraction of all payers.

For the same reason the number of players leaving EU for ComPets will be also neglible.

Here is their latest I can find:

[h=4]Will all pets available in ComPet be inspired by Entropia Universe creatures, and will all pets used in ComPet be provided by Entropia Universe tamers and stables?[/h]While the Entropia Universe taming system will definitely be a big part of the ComPet economy, not all ComPet pets will originate in Entropia Universe or be inspired by existing creatures. Many of the low-level ComPets will be generated by the ComPet system itself so that new players can get started right away. More details on the interaction between the Entropia Universe taming and stable systems and ComPet will be announced in the near future.

Sorry to try to debate with you here but yes the above is exactly what I was saying since the above came from the very first post ABOUT compets where you can read MA clearly states there would be a link between the two games. Please find the post where they stated there no longer would be a link. I think that's the last update or the one before it. Also note in this update they only talk about training within Compets and make no note of how exacting it will be for EU players to get ready pull out your ped cards and start taming away! Comepets is almost here! :)

@Rick

I don't see compets as a replacement for PE for me, its just another game, from what I have read, you should be able to quit playing PE and go play compets if that what makes you happy.

I think I'll always have a toe dipping into EU, but I feel at times it's sold it's soul and is hungry for money. I could joke and say no one deposits...lol. But the truth is £100 would get me around 1200 peds maybe 1400.

1400 peds is not a lot to blast it up, and have a real good laugh (and no...I don't want to struggle, I want fun). I've got family and 4 daughters to pay for, big commitments, I just can't afford EU really anymore. So I'm hoping Compet is a chance to make a Rick comeback, I've got a few Compet deeds.....I see light at the end of a 10 year tunnel.

Maybe...just maybe compet will breath new life into both MA and old and new players, and that makes me feel excited about it. A new future.

Btw the pics look pretty good. Couldn't see them on the OP, but can via the link.

Rick

I have to admit, somewhere along the lines I got the idea that I would have to buy and train pets in compet, or I could buy/tame pets in PE and somehow port them into compet to use. I am not sure where I got that idea, but now that I think about it, that is why I started gathering pets and training them in PE.

Rick, I agree that a lot of times PE feels like its just pay pay pay to play at a level that is entertaining, and it gets old having to depo all the time to buy ammo. However, lately I have been conserving funds (tax season is going to kill me this year :eyecrazy: ) and I have been happy to be able to hunt some smaller mobs and stretch my peds out a bit more.

I couldn't give a rat's ass about ComPet. I first joined the game to HUNT, and do some MINING and CRAFTING on the side...and enjoy some international social interaction as a bonus. I didn't join this game so I could be a virtual Michael Vick and have cyber-dogfights. :mad:

Someone once described EU as a giant sea tanker struggling further each year to turn away from the rocks. It's full of so much baggage and dead items from years of differing management styles, it's lost it's way and any sort of direction.

I think many EU players are looking forward to compet, and strangely look at it as not only a great new start, but a connection with EU even if there was no connection.

Put this is way, EU is not fun to me anymore. It desires or "needs" a lot of money to have fun, to pay for everything from deed holders, land owners, PP staff, investment profits,taxes on taxes on taxes (there're more investors than depositors). You know MA are forcing deposits when there's hardly any ESI's to enable you to sell a few skills for ped.

So enough....I desire a brand new start, and more importantly a chance to have some low cost fun, and then maybe in future some really cool cross-over with EU pets and most likely cross over in currency (ped account).

If it's massively successful that's great for the whole Mindark brand. This little game could turn around the whole business. Expect to see tons of disillusioned EU players in there.

Rick

Holy shit you said it so well. It's like you read my mind!

I like that they call the ingame currency peds :)

And where is beta? :lolup:

Soon my friend very soon:

Can you provide more information about a release date for ComPet?
Though it is hard to know for sure so early in the development process, we are currently planning for a release of the ComPet app in early 2015.

is there anything that says the pets in EU will be used in the compet app? or cross game skills, cross game funds / money, anything that is shared besides the compet deeds? Just wondering...

Sorry to try to debate with you here but yes the above is exactly what I was saying since the above came from the very first post ABOUT compets where you can read MA clearly states there would be a link between the two games. Please find the post where they stated there no longer would be a link. I think that's the last update or the one before it. Also note in this update they only talk about training within Compets and make no note of how exacting it will be for EU players to get ready pull out your ped cards and start taming away! Comepets is almost here! :)

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/2016/03/18/index.xml

Is the latest, I do not read anywhere in there they say "EU pets will not be transferable", nothing to indicate they redacted their initial plans completely.

Just because MA did not add in a part in every single post update about the EU to Compet connection does not mean it has been written out. It just means they never thought they had to say it over again as it was stated many times already, they wanted to target more new information then just restating old information.

If you have a link that says explicitly that you will not be able to take "EU pets to Compet" please link it here as I can't find where the heck your reading that at.

I can however see MA taking 5 years to add the feature to compet like about everything they do.

I do not read anywhere in there they say "EU pets will not be transferable", nothing to indicate they redacted their initial plans completely.
If you have a link that says explicitly that you will not be able to take "EU pets to Compet" please link it here as I can't find where the heck your reading that at.

I can however see MA taking 5 years to add the feature to compet like about everything they do.

I have also seen nothing on this. The available info still states that stable owners at the very least should be able to be the transfer hub as I understand it, but we have had zero info on whether this will be via a stable AH or buying invididually and selling on.

There is also the statement that lots of pets can be generated from within ComPet, and that freedom to play without depositing is expected to engage the vast majority of players.

Unfortunately, this does leave massive room for MA to introduce a completely separate environment first, leaving stable owners and EU pet holders out in the cold for however long it takes...... as you say: like about everything they do :(

If beta is late we got more to worry about then small details. They only got a few days left...

Well after player clicker heroes for few months this sownd interesting :yay:

Back