Computer Fans

Dante aka Ghost

Provider
Society
Vice President Of ENN
Dante Ghost Mitchel
So i got this custom built PC and theres spot on the side for case fan the thing is the CPU cooler is to big for the case fan to fit on it. the case fan is 200mmx 30 mm

anyone know where i can get thinner case fans? it needs to be 200 to fill the spot but i would liek it half as thick. 15mm if possible. but i cant manage to find anything. any ideas?

while we're talking cooling what do you guys concider to be normal temp for the cpu if all i'm doing is checking the temp in BIOS.. shouldn't be working hard in there right? .. sry to go offtopic

open case i might add

www.DigiKey.com

-AND-

www.newark.com

Both sell more fan types than you can shake a stick at.

Determine the dimensions, voltage, and CFM you need and you're off to the races.

you'll need a fan grille for it but this should fit:
428px-Propeller_EP-3E_1500x2100.jpg

note: if you get low RPM from it you should remove Aviation Electrician's Mate 3rd Class David Pennington from it to see if the speed improves :)

while we're talking cooling what do you guys concider to be normal temp for the cpu if all i'm doing is checking the temp in BIOS.. shouldn't be working hard in there right? .. sry to go offtopic

open case i might add

at idle my comps cpu temp is (with a few progs runing) 43-45ish celsius, 109-112 fahrenheit.

at idle my comps cpu temp is (with a few progs runing) 43-45ish celsius, 109-112 fahrenheit.

hmm will just have to check and see ty for the info =)

Your fan doesn't fit? Next you'll be saying you put it all together in a case. A Case? Pthhh I just nail all the compenents to a sturdy board and hang that on the wall - if any of the parts fail I blast 'em with my mann mph - all its good for anyway - and nail a new working part up.

hope this helps

Don't laugh...

Your fan doesn't fit? Next you'll be saying you put it all together in a case. A Case? Pthhh I just nail all the compenents to a sturdy board and hang that on the wall - if any of the parts fail I blast 'em with my mann mph - all its good for anyway - and nail a new working part up.

hope this helps

Hows this for "Thermodynamic PC Mods"?

That is my Core i7 920 with 12gb of Tri-channel DDR3 and eVGA GeForce GTX 260. Cost me about $1350. Saved like $100 by not getting a case and screwing it to a board.

thats really hot man mine workring is 22-24 degrees celsius. they generally arnt supposed ot be over 80 degrees F or perfomance issues and stability problems can occur.

www.DigiKey.com

-AND-

www.newark.com

Determine the dimensions, voltage, and CFM you need and you're off to the races.

thanks man ill try there keep the ideas coming btw lol. i like to have many options XD

www.DigiKey.com

-AND-

www.newark.com

mmmm Last time I checked.. their transport fees are not very nice.... (digikey) its been a couple of months since I last ordered from them, so it could have changed. Newark is not too bad for fees... :D

Ah nvm.... I forgot that they are in the US... it cost more to ship stuff from them to Canada... LOL So It will be cheaper for those that are in the US. :)

Last edited:
Cost me about $1350. Saved like $100 by not getting a case and screwing it to a board.

Don't spill a coke on it, or we'll hear you crying all across Calypso! LOL

How are you keeping card wiggle from occurring?

OOOOR does anyone know a way t SAFELY mod a fan to be thinner. I just need somethign to sit there doesnt need to me high end. i just have a 200mm hole on the side of a case where an intake needs to be lol i was thinking about trying to take it apart and replace the fan blades with smaller ones and trimming up the fans casing . or shortening the fans blade to clear the heat sinke while spinning and then take a chun out of the fan housing lol but that might cause issues lol

any more ideas of where to find thin fans that are on the bigger side. or any hard core modders out there with any ideas?

Kind of a temp. solution is to mount it on the outside of the case... Not sure what kind of case you have or if you can do this but its worth a try. :D

u can always mod it to fit the fan on the outside and make some nice shiny edges around and a fanguard in front of it.

thats really hot man mine workring is 22-24 degrees celsius. they generally arnt supposed ot be over 80 degrees F or perfomance issues and stability problems can occur.

CPUs are different and some run a lot hotter than others so you cant really tell if its too hot or not.. my phenom 955 runs idle ~35 celcius and on full load about 50 celcius

OOOOR does anyone know a way t SAFELY mod a fan to be thinner. I just need somethign to sit there doesnt need to me high end. i just have a 200mm hole on the side of a case where an intake needs to be lol i was thinking about trying to take it apart and replace the fan blades with smaller ones and trimming up the fans casing . or shortening the fans blade to clear the heat sinke while spinning and then take a chun out of the fan housing lol but that might cause issues lol

any more ideas of where to find thin fans that are on the bigger side. or any hard core modders out there with any ideas?

You don't want to try this. The motor is nearly always as thick as the frame.

Mount the fan on the outside of the case?

Ok so u ask for a fan reference then here is a fan reference to sort ur problem >> Scythe Shuriken.

Find that. This is the fans I use when I build HTPC its very efficient and thin.

My I7 idles at 41c when I have itunderclocked for every day use to 1.5ghz.
I have a cooler master V-8 cooler on it and it runs at 1400ish rpm at this setting. I could run it higher but its noisy when ceanked up. so long as it does not idle at 50c or up I am not worried.

When I run EU at 2.67 ghz it sits right at 51c. The only time I worry it hitting 70c is when I OC in the 4ghz range.

Im pretty sure collective temps on chips are near the 70c / 150 degree mark before break down starts to happen. You can go higher but it drasticly shortens life span above that 70c mark.

If you live in a hot place your idle temps will be higher. Just a few short months ago I was idleing around 34c because weather was much colder here.

Back