Considering converting to mining

Arokh

Stalker
Society
Gloryhound Irregulars
Arokh Arokh Cindar
I was thinking of doing this before I invest in new weapons and better armour. I think its the right time to decide rather than waste PEDs later on. As such, I have a few questions - if anyone wouldn't mind answering please:

-How easy is it earn enough to keep my equipment in check?
-Are finding deposits just as 'random' as finding loots on mobs?
-What (minimum) gear would I need to get started, and how much would it cost in total?

Its either mining or hunting, and to be honest with hunting I am barely able to keep my equipment in check and buy enough ammo. I was wondering if converting to mining would be for the better or worse. I'd rather ask and get the details than rush into things.

Any advice would be helpful. :)

(EDIT: I removed the last question, since I found the guide on 'how to mine')

Last edited:
The starting gear would be the TT one. Total cost of the equipment is around 6 ped. The risks are higher then in hunting. With this meteor event, is pure lottery. 1 bomb costs 1 ped (ores) and 1 probes costs 0.5 ped (en-matter). Different eaquipments for ores and for en-matter. It is VERY possible to make a 100 bombs (100 peds) run and the output to be under 50 peds.

good luck.

Mine if you are prepared to loose everything very fast... or earn a lot of money very fast.......

Id advice 300 PED as a start... buy the TT equipment.. and use Enmatter mining.. purely cuz its cheaper... You wont find a lot of big claims... but you have 2x "tries".. so you will get a better feeling with the mining profession with enmatter mining..

Starfinder said:
Mine if you are prepared to loose everything very fast... or earn a lot of money very fast.......

i can backup this comment, i have hunted 2 years in PE, deposited every now and then, with this mining crazee, sure i decided i give it a go...

i have never mined before, but asked around from more experienced miners how to do it, and read threads here bout it. so i have had some insight what to do (i hope). anyways. i have lost roughly 1000 peds in a few weeks to blasting bombs and trying to find some piece of crap ore, which i consider not so good, i can hunt much longer with that amount of cash. :p (i tend to get some loots, which is not happening with bombs)

but yes, it has been kinda fun though.

so :kos:

I gave it a go, lost many many peds best I ever found was a poor (with 100's of bombs) so I gave up and went back hunting ;)

In most cases when I loose on mining its because of the decay of my weapons I need to use to get the mobs off my back.
Also trying a new area gives losses in most cases, but if you find your good spots you can break even or even make a profit.

I agree with Teranoz, when you find spots that are good, normaly the only thing that makes you loos money is the rep of equipmet from killing the mobs that are there. But you have to know some good areas first and that costs XXX PED.

Its a trial and error system but with this new VU and mining event anything goes but I think its getting back to normal. I started mining about a month after I started playing PE. At that time mining was not as popular as it was now. I got lucky and found a few spots that yield ore and enmatter. I still visit many of them today (or with this new VU near the area they used to be) I do know that with so many people mining now there are a lot of dead zones that have been mined out and not respawned yet. So for a beginning miner this might seem like there is nothing there :hammer: . I have always gone out with mining tools and weapons so if one stinks you can try the other. Some of my best hunting loots happened when I was out strictly mining :eek: . Be careful with this since there are new weight management issues with this VU. I have to agree with an earlier post once you get a feel for it and find a few spots that yield for you it will be fun and even profitable. I tend to use my mining profits to fund my hunting loss lol. As with anything in PE the more skill you have the more efficient you do things. Now HOFs :tongue2: on the other hand well that is pure luck I have seen the low skilled to uber skilled get them in mining. Always remember to have fun and good luck :)

Hmm mining is an expensive proffesion if you were going to take it seriosuly, and like others have said its high risk and the bpmbs probes are expensive without the right ammount of cash, however it is an interesting alternative compared with the continuous pattern of hunting. If you want to keep to hunting because you dont have the cash for mining, you can make little twists like man mph hunts or powerfists hunts or even team hunting. U can also try pk 1ce in a little while =)

I agree with a lot of posts up here, it's a hard way to be a miner but it can bring u lot of money, I've waited a lot of time before I have my first global, and more to have a hof... My advice is begin by energy enmatters... and don't stay in an area after 20 probes without finding anything

Thinking about it, I may do a bit of both. Hunt a little along the way to an enmatter mining site once I've found 'regular places'. Or something like that. Even though I would be enmatter mining, it doesn't hurt to kill a few mobs on the way. never know - I may get lucky.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

I started mining the other week, I love it :) Even though its not as fun as hunting, its fun as variation once in a while ^^ It is fun that with imp2870 and decent skills i go 60% in hunting long rounds.. but with real crappy miningskills i always profit XD Where did the balance go? :p

I dont recommend hunting while mining. Self defence is fine, of course, but generally the creatures around mining spots aren't creatures you want to hunt. As in, they usually have piss poor loot.

I agree with what others have said, you'll loose money first when mining, but once you get a few good spots, just mine them and you may profit.

Equipment depends on your skill level. As a mining noob, use the tt stuff, or EnFinder-101 or OreFinder-101. Use the TT extractors. You can easily get low level tool for under 8 ped (even if not using TT finders). As for bombs/probes, depending on your luck you might be able to start off with as little as 50 ped of them, but 300-500 ped would give a more realistic starting cost.

At the moment I find Amertha to be better for both types of mining overall. Another hint: If you drop like 5-6 bombs in an area and don't find a single hit, give up and move to a different place. Theres no sense in spending 50 ped looking for something that isnt there.

Good luck.

My experience is, no matter what you do, you lose PEDs.
Crafting, mining, hunting, I always lose so much money, I don't even count anymore. So if hunting works bad for you, why not give it a try with mining?
Maybe that's just a period we have to get through till we are ubers or get very very lucky :D
Good luck to you :girl:

is not about some period. simply how much u spend. seems like, as larger as u spend, higher chance to break even. don't rush. skill ur way. do whatever u can do economical. for mining, i recommend going east and some south from port atlantis until u meet that forest with red trees. that is quite a good spot for skilling, because of good presence of lysterium. is easy to sell at 110%, quite large presence. take care to not run into feffoids, mafoids and armaxes east of that.

other good places with lysterium:

- practically everywhere around Port Atlantis, at several hundreds meters distance from city
- aegis mound
- northwest from fort zeus

if hunting, stick to low mobs until them takes up ur nose. when u kill an exa in no time, only then move further.

my two pecs.

did you decide yet? i spent 200 peds on an en matter mining spree last night anbd broke even so its not all that bad but its expensive to go into it. however if you do get into it and get a decent ammount of skill, prospecting and surveying skills sell for a packet

Well I think enmatter mining would be best - as people have mentioned it is ever so slightly cheaper. The reason I asked now is that on November 1, my e-cheque clears so I'll have 300PED. I'd rather know what I wanted to do than just mess about wasting PED if I'm unsure. Also it also means I won't waste money now repairing hunting equipment that I won't use later on.

Still even if I lose money, in reality its just paying for entertainment isn't it - like you do with every game?

Arokh said:
Still even if I lose money, in reality its just paying for entertainment isn't it - like you do with every game?

:wise: That is a healthy attitude to have going into a PE profession. Some days you will loose, some you will break even, and some you will profit. No matter what you decide to do just have fun :)

Back