CRYENGINE2/VU10: I've had enough.

MonkeyCreamy

Alpha
Society
EntropiaXtreme
Monkey
That's right, I've had enough of all you complainers.

And stupid redundant complaint posts. They are doing nothing but wasting valuable server space that could be used for meaningful and fun threads.

Index:
I - What is this all about?
II - The Good.
III - The Bad.
IIII - The Ugly.
V - Wisdom From The Monkey

I - What is this all about?
I'm not here to praise MA, or complain or say what they did was the best.

However,

There has been a ridicolous amount of complaints and threads that do nothing but waste space and clutter a forum that should be used for having fun.

Yes VU 10 was released buggy and in a horrible state, but to be honest. I'm glad, I rather have it sooner than later no matter what shape its in, but that's just me and a small minority.

The fact of the matter is MA could have made a test server, people say they should have made a test server. But they didn't.

I'm shocked at some of peoples responses to the VU10 update. There has been many problems that should be addressed but complaining is no way to bring them up. MA is more likely to look at a thread labeled "Help, Crashes!" rather than, "VU 10 Sucks, I quit!".

I am going to try to address all these issues and point out what should be happening and what shouldn't.

//End

II - The Good.
Ill start with the good, and work our way down to bad/worst :vampire:. I have seen a great amount of constructive criticism threads which are a big + in my book for both solving the problem and bringing up the issue without such a derogatory manner.

I have also seen a great effort of forum members trying to help other forum members solve their problems.

There has also been a good amount of threads displaying the fun people are having in the new VU.

Sadly, all these good threads probably easily get outweighed by the complaint threads.

//End

III - The Bad.
Lets jump right into this, and take a look at why I think its bad when people complain about some issues.

CTD, Login Issues:
I had Login issues and crashing issues, for me I found out the login crash was avoided by switching windows repetitively while logging in. As for ingame crashes I found that hotkeying things made me crash every 3-5 minutes and then resetting the keys took many tries, so for now I will not hotkey anything. These I think are the most important issues to be fixed right now, so that people can at least get in the game.

Rumors/Lies causing bad rep:
I've seen a thread stating that Entropia killed their graphics card. This is a flat out lie, if your graphics card died from running at 100% load then its not the games problem it is a mechanical problem with your graphics card.

You wouldn't blame a city highway if your cars motor exploded because you didn't maintain the engine.

So don't blame EU for damaging your GPU because its fan had a problem or a mechanical deficiency.

To let you know, I have ran my GPU at 100% load for over 48 hours. Your card has a problem if it cannot do that.

Controls:
First thing I noticed in VU 10, to me its not much of a issue. I think they should still have keys to turn left and right just to make it easier for those used to it. But really I don't find it that hard to adjust.

I'm running in 3rd Person , I want to turn, *Spacebar* *Move Mouse* *Spacebar*.

Not really that hard.

And I find first person more immersive, I liked these changes for the most part besides not having keys to turn in 3rd Person.

I love avatar leaning.
I don't have much to complain about with the new controls.

Hunting:
Hunting is great now, the thrill of first person hunting in the new VU is awesome. I really don't miss the old click and shoot, I probably lost alot with the old click and shoot because the auto aim did a poor job on cliffs and in certain situations.

I'm glad hunting is how it is now, and looting is easy, either double click on the mob or right click and click loot.

However they should still have someway to cator to those who want to hunt in third person.

Mining:
I mined alot this past weekend and only lost 1 claim due to it being invisible, others could see it. I just couldn't, a relog probably could have fixed it but it was only a very poor. I really don't see why so many people are complaining, if you don't like mining with the issues right now. Then don't mine! Leave the HOFs for me.

If the hills are going to pose a problem to you then simply work around them and be more aware of your surroundings. To be honest there's probably very few claims that you can't get to. I was mining on a huge mountain 900+m tall and I had no problem getting claims. A lot of people are lazy.

CND is a bit different issue, but I haven't been there yet so I wont further comment. Ill just say, if its absolutely impossible to mine up there, then yes it needs to be fixed.

Auto-Click:
Macro/Auto-Clicking was always against the EULA if I'm not mistaken, I do think MA should have a feature for crafters ingame where maybe there's a auto clicker built into the crafting dialog. Like, a button were you can enter a number of times to repeat the craft.

As for others, use a more ergonomic setup. I played EU nearly 8 hours solid yesterday (don't normally do that, lol) and I had no problems or pain. Just stretch every 15-20 minutes. Do some reading up on safe keyboard/computer use.

CryEngine 2:
I viewed VU 10 or CryEngine 2 update as a big TY from MA, seriously they went out of their way and bought a world class triple-A game engine and spent time and money implementing it. And it seems as if they are working hard to get it polished up.

I really find it rude how some people say to leave Entropia how it was, the expandability on the last engine was non-existent.

I was waiting for VU 10, and im glad its here. I was getting sick of playing a game that felt like it was from the summer of 2000.

Climbing:
Climbing isn't impossible, I like it more. The games physics is much more realistic, however yes its a bit tough to get up some mountains but usually there are ways. Just yesterday, parts my society (including me) reached the summit of a mountain at 900+m.

And it was alot of fun, if mountains are going to be something to take into consideration in gameplay, then let it be. It is more realistic.

Yes I know sometimes there's a awkward slope that you probably could get up in real life but not in the game, but what do you expect MA to do. Make a animation were you crawl on the ground and then adjust the physics so you make it up?. That would require a lot of testing and trouble shooting not to mention a overall glitchy inner workings. In large maps and MMOs you will always have these problems.

Hopefully they will be improved over time. But its not as big of a deal as most you make it out to be.

NO SWEAT!?:
Bertha Bot threads are a must read. Too many people jump to conclusions, at least try to do some research before you ask.

Time Of Day:
I don't understand how people complain about this, its a awesome feature. Nights in EU are one of my favorite things.

Its never too dark when the moon is out, if the moon is covered and if you really have a problem, crank of the gamma or use your scope.

Its only 1 hour of night, and half that time its not even that dark.

Glowsticks & Lights may be released in the future, won't that be awesome?
I sure think so.

Map Change:
Yes the map is different and I love it!. Surely when expecting a update as big as CryEngine 2 you expect the map to be changed. Well I did, however some people still complain.

I don't know whats wrong with them but I find something very exciting about going out into a new world not knowing what lies ahead. Its a great way to explore and ease your way into VU 10.

Of course you feel disoriented at first, but that's just more motivation to explore.

//End

IIII - The Ugly.
Time for the things that need to be shot and buried.

Entropia Worth It?:
Worth what is my question?

If you pay 10$ to see a movie at a theater do you ask yourself if its worth it? 10$ for 2 hours...

I sure know 10$ in EU can get me alot more than 2 hours of entertainment, but that depends what you spend it on.

EU is free, how can you complain. You decide what you put in, there's no reason to blame the game or others.

And even though some people get really lucky both ubers and noobs. You have to realize that wont happen to everyone.

And just because someone globals every few minutes doesn't mean they are doing any better than you. Same ratio, different amounts.

And if you don't wanna play or don't feel like its worth it, then don't play!
To be honest, I don't think your complaining is worth it.

Can't Play, Bye:
Cant play because your computer can't run it? Get a new computer.

A point has been brought up before and Ill bring it up again, its been years you have known about the CryEngine 2/VU10 update yet you didn't prepare to get a new computer?

You can't afford 650$ (You can get it for less!) for a comfortable CryEngine 2 compatible computer?

I don't understand it, people know technology changes. Did you really think you would play EU forever on a old PC that's considered ancient. If you have any mid-range game system from the last 3-5 years, chances are you can play EU VU 10 fine.

Complaints That Have No Base Of Reason:
People make threads with ridicolous claims and complaints that really have no logic behind them.

Sometimes its just more of a curiosity which is fine, but when people demand breakable trees or all the features they see in Crysis, it makes me laugh on how ridicolous that would be. Yea lets add tons more things that will slow the server and client side down on a game that's not meant to have that stuff.

Crysis is a closed level single player game. Don't expect it to be the same in EU.

Also claims about the planet being fake how you can tell Calypso is the center and that the sun revolves around it. Well obviously, someone claimed MA should have done research and make it more realistic. I can see to some extent but its not like they can model molecules and particles.

Some people ask for the impossible. Or at least the unreasonable.

//End

V - Wisdom From The Monkey
Why not spend your time exploring EU and having fun, come up with ideas and fun things to do rather than complaining and annoying others. Some complaints are needed but alot I've seen are un-necessary and not thought through.

If you think my reasoning sucks, tell me why.
If you think I'm mistaken, tell me why.

Let me hear your complaints and issues.
Let me tell you what I think.

Lets settle this once and for all, here and now.

Maybe I will learn something,
Maybe you will learn something.

Sad part is, most people will bash me without reading this. Because from the looks of it half the people only read the titles now days.

:monkey: :tux: :monkey:

Last edited:
so this comes under catogory 1

Dunno .. I just want free stuff if you quit ... :ahh:

Whats worse than a whiner?

A whiner whining about whiners :coffee:

Dunno .. I just want free stuff if you quit ... :ahh:

Where did you get the intention I'm quitting?

Quote from bottom of my post:
"half the people only read the titles now days."

quote removed as req.

Let me update you on some facts:

"There is a problem that sometimes causes a fatal crash (otherwise known as “Blue Screen of Death” or “BSOD”) on nVidia-based systems. This mostly affects newer graphics card driver versions. With older drivers, the client might still crash but not always with Blue Screens. We recommend the driver version 182.08 for best stability:
We are working together with nVidia and CryTek to resolve the problem. ATI-based systems are not affected. "

So yes there is chance that you card can burn if the game make it go bullock.:wise:

"world class triple-A":)

Last edited:
all this person is doing is stating what its true. Most of what he says is true. But MA are STILL trying to resolve these problems. Patience is a vertue

So yes there is chance that you card can burn if the game make it go bullock.:wise:

A blue screen/crash won't make your card burn.
And if your cards about to burn, it will shutdown. Thus not getting damaged.

All a game can do is put stress on a GPU. Its up to the GPU to handle the temperatures.etc

When you will know why you get BSOD you will know that most times is memory leak, when you will learn C++ you will know where memory leak can lead, when you will find out where it lead you will then write about something you actually know and not guessing.

But internet is full of ppl that like to guess (you are not alone).:)

Where did you get the intention I'm quitting?

Quote from bottom of my post:
"half the people only read the titles now days."

:) you had enough?

All a game can do is put stress on a GPU. Its up to the GPU to handle the temperatures.etc

This is even more ignorant:
1, sys will shut down only if you enable it in BIOS
2, I can make any GFX burn in less than 5 min and you won’t even see the smoke
3, I stop trolling you, no clue what you talking about

enjoy :rolleyes:

And stupid redundant complaint posts. They are doing nothing but wasting valuable server space that could be used for meaningful and fun threads...

I beg to differ: The 2 Millionth-Post is getting here lots quicker due to them! :cool:

Sorry.. just couldn't resist..:laugh:

Carry on.
:computer:

TBH the person I've seen make the most pointless threads since VU10 is the OP.

Maybe start by being part of the solution instead of the problem.

When you will know why you get BSOD you will know that most times is memory leak, when you will learn C++ you will know where memory leak can lead, when you will find out where it lead you will then write about something you actually know and not guessing.

But internet is full of ppl that like to guess (you are not alone).:)

Fyi, I have programmed small game engines in the past and am familiar with C++.

Maybe something deeper is going on, but I've tried VU 10 with a Nvidia card and it BSOD'd. But the temperatures didn't go high at all. Were are you basing that the GPU can bet burned by EU from?

That single post where someone claims it burned their GPU?
BSODs can be caused by many things, and often even simple things.

And I've experienced plenty of memory leaks and yes it does make your GPU reach 100% but that shouldn't damage your GPU because it should handle the heat by speeding up the fan.

Not complaining here, just wistful. I'd really like to be able to log in.

And stupid redundant complaint posts. They are doing nothing but wasting valuable server space that could be used for meaningful and fun threads.

So where is your post different? You use more chars in your post as there are characters noted in most of the whining topics combined? Why do you seek this much attention if the vu is great? Shouldn't you be out looting instead of whining about whiners irl? :scratch2::laugh:

TBH the person I've seen make the most pointless threads since VU10 is the OP.

Maybe start by being part of the solution instead of the problem.

What posts did I make that are pointless?...
I could probably agree, I made maybe a couple that are pointless.

But for the most part, I don't think the majority of my posts are pointless.

So where is your post different? You use more chars in your post as there are characters noted in most of the whining topics combined? Why do you seek this much attention if the vu is great? Shouldn't you be out looting instead of whining about whiners irl? :scratch2::laugh:

Just thought it would be better to get all the complainers here so maybe they can stop complaining and accept one of my suggestions or bring some good points up. Instead of others creating more and more threads to deal with every small issue that then drowns out everything else.

I attempted for this to be the end all for complain/stop complaining posts but I guess that wont work. :mad:

Oh well.

What you forget is various people have various implication in game. Some play more, some play less. Some burn more peds, some burn less. Some want to skill, some want to make money, some want only to have fun etc.

If you consider just one of these attitudes and proclaim it to be the truth and the holy path, is normal you won't understand the others.

For instance, if VU10 would have came in the period I was a pasionate crafter, I would have been annoyed beyond quitting. Now I am only disappointed.

Another important thing is, if I consider appropiate to whine, I will whine, nomatter what thread you make.

:tiphat:

This is even more ignorant:
1, sys will shut down only if you enable it in BIOS
2, I can make any GFX burn in less than 5 min and you won’t even see the smoke
3, I stop trolling you, no clue what you talking about

enjoy :rolleyes:

I know he's referring to my thread (considering it's the only one on the subject outside of BSOD threads).

Back when CS 1.4 (Counter-Strike version 1.4) was around, there was a command that an administrator (admin in a game server) could perform on a client. Was found out by complete accident, was cl_log 1. It's a developer command, for bug-fixing. It wrote to log file all textures, graphics, everything that was rendered. Every second you had it enabled, it created 20 megs of text. That's 20mb/s write speed on a single file.
When I was informed of it, it was from a fellow admin who learned of it, and we decided to use it on severe hackers only (super speed hack, aimbot galore, attempting to crash server continually, trying to hack admin password, etc). We did, only a couple dozen times.
Turned out that had a side effect we found out about later (our intention was simply to create a log file so huge it'd wipe out his free space, and lock his computer up). It wrote so fast and furious to the HDD, that even a brand new HDD would burn up and freeze in under 3 minutes. Even a brand new raptor 10k RPM super gaming HDD would burn up in the same time.

The point of this comparison of HDD vs GPU? GPU can burn up even faster if a valid memory leak dumps GIGS worth of data into it, and it attempts to process it all. I know this for a fact, I've seen my friends do it on purpose with older video cards (school experiments & "fun stuff") where they activated a loopback memory procedure, and literally melted the card within 30 seconds (obviously the overheat protection was disabled).

Again, for reference in my thread, my WARNING meter was set to 180 degrees. Auto-shutdown was SUPPOSED to have been set at 200 degrees. Card damage results (per what I've been told) at around 240 degrees.
That's a hell of a range in temp to jump in a short time, ain't it. I got no warning, my computer barely had time after the thermal protection circuit DID engage to shut itself down, but not before something on the card fried and it won't work now. Just get the (on my mobo) triple beeps that video card is unable to work, and won't work in 3 other computers I've put it in.
I had stock cooler on it. I never overclocked it. I ran Crysis at High settings for many hours (4x AA) without really any issues. There was no valid reason for this to have happened, except that there was a problem with how MA implemented the CE2 engine! Plain and simple!
BUT. I'm not swearing up & down over it. I'm not saying to MA "GIMME A NEW VIDEO CARD FFS". I took the hit, bought a new video (sorely needed anyway) and can now handle CE2 and most any other game on the market for the next 4-5 years without a problem.

Next time make sure you have your facts straight before you start accusing (even indirectly) someone of being a liar on this forum. I really don't take well to false accusations.

What you forget is various people have various implication in game. Some play more, some play less. Some burn more peds, some burn less. Some want to skill, some want to make money, some want only to have fun etc.

If you consider just one of these attitudes and proclaim it to be the truth and the holy path, is normal you won't understand the others.

For instance, if VU10 would have came in the period I was a pasionate crafter, I would have been annoyed beyond quitting. Now I am only disappointed.

Another important thing is, if I consider appropiate to whine, I will whine, nomatter what thread you make.

:tiphat:

True, I'm just saying that you have to expect this and that you just needa deal with it the best way possible until it gets back to the playable state, that we once had.

Pretty much I'm trying to say make the best out of a bad situation instead of making the worst out of a bad situation.

Yea, ok valid point. But that's not the issue with modern GPU's from my knowledge. Things have come a long way, I've dumped huge amounts of data into my GPU by mistake and the worst that happens is it cuts out and restarts.

Was the GPU a old GPU not supported by Entropia, and isn't it possible that the fan died. Or could you still hear it?... If not that's very strange. And it sounds like more of a fault on Nvidia's half.

Software such as games, or general use applications should never be able to damage modern hardware.

About the CND mining bit - claims getting stuck inside plants and on top of unreachable hills is a pretty big issue up there right now. I'd say most slopes greater than 30 degrees up there are unclimbable which (since there are quite a lot of steep hills and towers of earth up there for some reason) makes some domes quite bad for mining. Out of about 50 or so claims I got there before I decided to leave 6 or 7 were unreachable (biggest was IX (amped ofc) so not a terrible loss, but still).

About the CND mining bit - claims getting stuck inside plants and on top of unreachable hills is a pretty big issue up there right now. I'd say most slopes greater than 30 degrees up there are unclimbable which (since there are quite a lot of steep hills and towers of earth up there for some reason) makes some domes quite bad for mining. Out of about 50 or so claims I got there before I decided to leave 6 or 7 were unreachable (biggest was IX (amped ofc) so not a terrible loss, but still).

Yea, I think up there its a pretty big issue, but on Calypso I find it not much different that before aside from some areas.

True, I'm just saying that you have to expect this and that you just needa deal with it the best way possible until it gets back to the playable state, that we once had.

Pretty much I'm trying to say make the best out of a bad situation instead of making the worst out of a bad situation.

Yup, I don't login these days, that's my solution.

But when I saw your thread I thought, ok, maybe I explore a bit let's be constructive.

I log in, my orefinder is equipped, can't unequip it but can't use it either. So logged out after 2 mins.

Yea, ok valid point. But that's not the issue with modern GPU's from my knowledge. Things have come a long way, I've dumped huge amounts of data into my GPU by mistake and the worst that happens is it cuts out and restarts.

Was the GPU a old GPU not supported by Entropia, and isn't it possible that the fan died. Or could you still hear it?... If not that's very strange. And it sounds like more of a fault on Nvidia's half.

Software such as games, or general use applications should never be able to damage modern hardware.

That much I definitely agree with, the card itself I purchased just over 2 years ago so like I mentioned in my thread, perhaps it was simply worn down from overuse and slightly too high a continual temp? (which was a perpetual problem with the *exact* series of 8800 I had)
To my KNOWLEDGE, the fan still worked. I'd been paying attention to it as of late, because I normally do an overhaul every year or so on all my fans in my computer (take them out, clean them, put a drop or 3 of teflon oil on the bearing & spindle), and it was getting close to time for me to do it again (next month).
I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a fault on Nvidias side, on both hardware and software. From what I'm gathering, the latest driver version could have overloaded the GPU with the PhysX driver, and CE2 data. Shouldn't have updated the video driver... lol

That much I definitely agree with, the card itself I purchased just over 2 years ago so like I mentioned in my thread, perhaps it was simply worn down from overuse and slightly too high a continual temp? (which was a perpetual problem with the *exact* series of 8800 I had)
To my KNOWLEDGE, the fan still worked. I'd been paying attention to it as of late, because I normally do an overhaul every year or so on all my fans in my computer (take them out, clean them, put a drop or 3 of teflon oil on the bearing & spindle), and it was getting close to time for me to do it again (next month).
I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a fault on Nvidias side, on both hardware and software. From what I'm gathering, the latest driver version could have overloaded the GPU with the PhysX driver, and CE2 data. Shouldn't have updated the video driver... lol

Hrmm, yea PhysX driver is a possibility. I wonder if turning the PhysX off would reduce the load.

And I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a fault on Nvidia's behalf. I used to love Nvidia but switched to ATI for this setup since Ive had some bad luck with Nvidia in the past. But over all I buy both brands.

At least they are looking into a solution. Sorry to hear about your 8800 btw, that's a good strong performing card even though it is a bit dated it doesn't seem to show it.

Just thought it would be better to get all the complainers here so maybe they can stop complaining and accept one of my suggestions or bring some good points up. Instead of others creating more and more threads to deal with every small issue that then drowns out everything else.

I attempted for this to be the end all for complain/stop complaining posts but I guess that wont work. :mad:

Oh well.

I think 711 should just have a seperate sub forum called "whining" :D

btw, I do however feel quite bad for the guys itching to get on, and cant yet for whatever reason.

I agggggggrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee

Back