Crytek engine is sooo 2008!! Give me OTOY!!!

SB2

Stalker
Star SB2 Blaster
photo-realistic rendering in the cloud....
No need for high powered graphics cards...
Click here and see the beginnings of the future of Virtual...

Very Interesting..................:)

photo-realistic rendering in the cloud....
No need for high powered graphics cards...
Click here and see the beginnings of the future of Virtual...

Really cool, nice find.

However if I wanted to see something that realistic, I would just go outside...

The technology allows relatively weak computers

For some reason I don`t buy this. The usual marketing Hype BS, cos I bet that if you wanna reach graphic quality level shown in this video you need some quad sli, quad core system with most expensive graphic card on the market.

The city in the beginning looks awesome. But the rest of the video looks like a half finished product. Specially the avatars.

All the urban stuff looks very cool, buy anything organic looks totally crap.

For some reason I don`t buy this. The usual marketing Hype BS, cos I bet that if you wanna reach graphic quality level shown in this video you need some quad sli, quad core system with most expensive graphic card on the market.

They say rendering is done serverside. Not sure how you can get any good FPS though, unless you are on fibre or something.

They say rendering is done serverside. Not sure how you can get any good FPS though, unless you are on fibre or something.

Yep all done server side thats fairly impressive, not sure about FPS though. Still looks nice but if is going to be a SL clone then not my thing really - but technically impressive.

All those vids are sooo cool then you login and gets dissapointed cause it aint even close...

the GFX are very impressive. if there streaming the GFX from server side. that is going to make hosting costs High. and Yes it takes Very Very Power full GFX cards to render that. But it also looks like they'd have to have 1 Rendering server side system per user. Translation thats going to be one Very High cost game. That interface will be screwy to say the least.

the GFX are very impressive. if there streaming the GFX from server side. that is going to make hosting costs High. and Yes it takes Very Very Power full GFX cards to render that. But it also looks like they'd have to have 1 Rendering server side system per user. Translation thats going to be one Very High cost game. That interface will be screwy to say the least.

Yes I think it will be very laggy. Any input from the keyboard or mouse will require at least a roundtrip before you get any reaction. There will be process time and probably also be some buffering so its even worse. I think you will share the renderserver. So, the result with current technology: 1FPS, average reactiontime of 1 second? Still a nice idea, but not for a game.

There are obviously alot of people who use this forum who are much much cleverer then me, or who at least know far more about graphics engines than I do...

I have no doubt that LivePlace, and OTOY, will have it's fair share of problems with user interfacing, and FPS, just like any other engine on the market currently. PE had issues, EU's current incarnation had issues, CryEngine will no doubt have problems, and we will all whinge and moan until some of them are fixed, and then continue moaning while MA, or Creative Kingdom, fix things we don't care about and fail to address the issues we do have...

What I do know is that the video demo shown in the clip is Awesome :eek: There are places, certainly the initial city shots, where I was genuinely finding it hard to beleive I was looking at a computer simluation... The attention to detail in some of the run-down areas was spectacular...

I am Very Very Impressed. But what do I know...?

Looks TOTAL shit 2 me :eek: Guess it might change when i hook up my new puter. But as it looks NOW im NOT impressed.

nvevermind.. wtf

Last edited:

They will broadcast it to you as video. Kinda like citrix, if they have a good compression method i don't see a problem.

:eek: well that knocked me out of my seat.

thaught i agree with points made in the thread , once this place gets populated and if your not on a T1 line it's going to be laggy, a bit like youtube at 7pm in the afternoon you cant stream shit on it...

anyway MA get your asses in gear ASAP befor the competition steals all your clientbase !!

It might be impressive graphics but how will it handle physics and destroyable objects if it's rendered server side etc? i think not at all. And FYI the cryengine isn't even working on it's max settings yet, they will when the gfx cards can handle it put out a patch that bumps it up even more. Cryengine2 i supposed to be top notch for like 3 more years so it still has a lot lot more to show than it currently does.

Last edited:
That look pretty nice but I wonder if it will be that nice ingame.... hum let's see about that.

thx for sharing :) +rep

IMO this is lame. Why?

The entire scenery is dead. There're no humans, no animals, no wind to move anything, no waves in the swimming pool. Nothing. The dancers? Well, preset positions, no motions. The cars at the beginning? Well, ok, they move, but the chasis doesn't change, so cars are rather dead objects (no rolling wheels, ...).

The stills look ok, but when all the manouvering starts it gets blurry. Also not too much details, much of the impressions are achieved with light effects. That's basically how to distract our eyes.

And the biggest of them all, the size of the video is so small! Don't think that the source was a 1280x1024 fullscreen game which was rendered down to what we see here. I'd say it is what we see.

I'm not a pro at computer graphics so please don't judge me on this. But it's lame and shouldn't mean anything.

it look impressive.. but im very dubious how this can be delivered. just work out the numbers.

take a screen shot of your machine, save it and see how large the file is. times that by the frame rate you wish to achieve. times that by 8, because your file size is in Megabytes and bandwidth is in Megabits. thats the size of connection you'll need.

for a working example, 1280x1024 is ~3.7MB x 30fps x 8 = 888Mbit/sec pipe. dont get them round here. (sanity check and comparison... a 9800GTX pushes 70GB/sec)

of course you can compress that data, but then why bother? all you'd be doing is making more processor load, the whole idea behind 3d accelerator cards in the first place was to move this load elsewhere. you'll probably end up having dedicated decompression cards. and even at 10:1 compression you still need a Lan speed 100Mb+ connection. Nice computer science project guys, but really not going to happen for mainstream FPS gaming. maybe will work for small frame flash based games and cut scene base role play.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Very realistic in places, when it comes to the characters and some indoor shots looked like a standard interior visualisation like architects use.
Most of it seems to be layered with shaders, bloom and HDR.

Running on lower systems, its possible. But the sort of things it is doing is not something you find in any other game but crysis right now and that alone has high minimum specs. Can't really tell much from the video though at its quality.
But then, some effects are possible on low systems. You can fake bloom and HDR, the ps2 has games that do that, just never really been used in a PC as you can just upgrade it.
Now, the textures and models, they canbe nicely detailed and run on low systems, they can be coded. there is this game that is under 1mb and is completely coded, yet it looks really good, full 3D, lighting etc.
Infinity engine also uses coded textures, to create seamless, endlessly unique textures. You can run it on a very low graphics card as it uses no texture memory, just the CPU to render it.

Haven't read up on the engine, but could be likely what it does. Though you just need a good enough CPU really. Which most people may have by the time they release it.

If it turns out to be a myspace in 3D and like the other virtual world, be pretty boring if you have to pay for anything. Dancing, chatting, a few other activities, is not really fun if you got a stunning 3d environment. EU should still have a firm place in the industry, since its much like an RPG game rather than virtual hang out.

Since it's what equipment you have installed at your side is the interesting I didn't even watch that.

I see some posts about "serverside rendering" if that's the case, I might as well through in the towell since I sit on a high grade PC with a shity connection.... If bandwidth will be more important than hardware, I'm out of the game. I live out on the countryside and have the top spedd available, a stinishing shared 0.25 Mbps.... No lag cause of my HW but if this will change I doubt I will stay for long.

looks nice.

one point though.. all this out of focus blurry stuff that crysis also has..
it has to go. I can accept camera's to have this, but i personally have perfect eyesight.. don't need stuff to go blurry if i look around a corner really fast.

one point though.. all this out of focus blurry stuff that crysis also has.. it has to go.

yeah. i dont know about you, but everything i look at directly is in sharp focus, with bluring around the periphery. so when i look at this (.) point on the screen everything here (.) is off focus anyway. with the stupid fake blur vision everything in the centre of the screen is in focus and the edges of screen are blurred irrespective of where im actually looking. imo this make blurred effects look shite. only any use in "on rails" games so you know where your supposed to be looking.

slightly of topic... back to the theme... i think its only supposed to be intending to deliver small size, in frame browser (and mobile devices) based graphics, so it might work out.

They will broadcast it to you as video. Kinda like citrix, if they have a good compression method i don't see a problem.

Interesting.

Cool for the players who can play with crappy In#el graphic card. :cool:
But I can't imagine the kind of server needed. :eek:

Nice find dude, very interesting...

Back