Crytek ETA?

Xander

Young
Society
Freelancer
Xander Xavier Deathstalker
Me thinks tis time MindArk finally coughed up and admitted based on all previous news they gave of of expected times that the crytek client edition is delayed and provide a new ETA to those of us eagerly awaiting it, so I dont have to keep checking about it every other day, don't you?

Xanderxavier

Better to let them wait until it's ready before giving us another inaccurate date

I have seen the following deadlines for CE2:

Q1 2009
Q2 2009

Q2 seems likely tbh, based on latest news/events and MA/FPC telling us that the mutant event and egg event will end during spring :) (probably just before CE2)

OMG new idea! 'The Egg' actually holds the CE2 update! ;) lol

IIRC, MA has never hit a deadline, ever.

Now, they are completely rebuilding every part of, Eudoria, CND, CP, and the open parts of Amethera.

Every mob, clothing, texture, apt., fertilizer station, etc., etc.

And you're surprised they are taking a long time? :confused:

This is like getting mad at your wife for taking 3 hours to get ready for a party. It's gonna happen. Just be patient.

Why not just work on the assumption that it will be ready when it's ready.

"A watched kettle never boils" as we say in the UK.

I have seen the following deadlines for CE2:

Q1 2009
Q2 2009

Q2 seems likely tbh, based on latest news/events and MA/FPC telling us that the mutant event and egg event will end during spring :) (probably just before CE2)

OMG new idea! 'The Egg' actually holds the CE2 update! ;) lol

I also have seen Q2 2008, Q3 2008, Q4 2008

Do I have to shout out "Poker", "Halli Galli" or something now ?

Now, they are completely rebuilding every part of, Eudoria, CND, CP, and the open parts of Amethera.

This is like getting mad at your wife for taking 3 hours to get ready for a party. It's gonna happen. Just be patient.

You are so right.
It have been far over 6 years to get all the items, mobs,buildings ect.
So you can figure out urself that it is a massive job to rebuild all.

regards,

"A watched kettle never boils" as we say in the UK

100 EFD says it comes either in May, June, July, August 09!

100 EFD says it comes either in May, June, July, August 09!

oh yeah? 1000PED says it will come before 2020 (or EU will disappear)! :D

seriously though, I think it will come Q2 or so :)

It's not as though they have to physically rebuild. We are talking computer programmes here. Let's not be so patient with them - there are lots of very good crytek games out there. Only hope they are using the latest version of the engine:wtg:

It's not as though they have to physically rebuild. We are talking computer programmes here. Let's not be so patient with them - there are lots of very good crytek games out there. Only hope they are using the latest version of the engine:wtg:

I dunno how big the Entropia team is, but theres alot of work on doing such a tranformation. They first have to implement the engine, then recode a bunch, and then the artists have to remodel pretty much everything, make textures for them, and then make shaders.

Its alot more work than you may think.

Not really comparable since MA in Late May 2008 promised Cry would be released B4 end of august 2008 in Worst case. That "promise" and break of it could get anyone pissed. On top of all their lies about the existing working cashcard etc. Very hard for an Serious, succesful salesrep / PR person as me to understand what makes a company that aims to go public spreads such lies in their marketing. TOTALLY Ununderstandable :(

April 1st - or never... :D

Not really comparable since MA in Late May 2008 promised Cry would be released B4 end of august 2008 in Worst case. That "promise" and break of it could get anyone pissed. On top of all their lies about the existing working cashcard etc. Very hard for an Serious, succesful salesrep / PR person as me to understand what makes a company that aims to go public spreads such lies in their marketing. TOTALLY Ununderstandable :(

True, But get used to it. Companies have poor planning.90% of the population probably cant get to work on time, i see it on the bus everyday "OH sorry the bus is taking long ill be 30 mins late" like wtf. leave earlier then dummy. Much of the population is usless and theres no way to get around that.

Also who knows about Mindark/Entropia they may have realized they completely undershot the deadline when they actually started working on it. I wouldn't say their developers are the most experienced with now days technology. And u can pretty much see that by looking at any texture in the Entropia game. But they look like they are doing a good job now.

Anyways I just hope it comes out before june, if not ill be very disappointed.

TBH I'm totally bored of hearing about this new cry engine! The new graphics are going to be great and I'm sure its going to be a fantastic looking game but give it 2-3months and the novelty wears off and your back playing the exact game you always was. Grinding is still grinding no matter how pretty it looks!

TBH I'm totally bored of hearing about this new cry engine! The new graphics are going to be great and I'm sure its going to be a fantastic looking game but give it 2-3months and the novelty wears off and your back playing the exact game you always was. Grinding is still grinding no matter how pretty it looks!

True, but you can always explore around since everything will be different, and I dunno why people keep talking about "Griding".. Like for me I don't care about skills, I play when I wanna Mine/Hunt or whatever and then im done. I don't hunt cuz im trying to get my skills up. I hunt cuz I wanna hunt and get loot, or hunt in a team or just have fun. And for all we know the aiming may be completely different, right now playing EU in first person is a bit of a burden its not that nice. But if they change it to more of a fluid/FPS type playing in first person, then thats gonna be pretty freaking awesome.

IIRC,

best i ever heared about CE²

True, but you can always explore around since everything will be different, and I dunno why people keep talking about "Griding".. Like for me I don't care about skills, I play when I wanna Mine/Hunt or whatever and then im done. I don't hunt cuz im trying to get my skills up. I hunt cuz I wanna hunt and get loot, or hunt in a team or just have fun.

This is what I mean give it 2-3months after you done everything thats gonna make you go WOW! and whats left? Your playing the same game. Im not complaining about it as I play the game because I enjoy the gameplay regardless of graphics! I think theres going to be quite an anti climax when it arrives. I hope I'm wrong.

Heres my question for everyone...

At what point in the delay process do you simply stop caring?? I.E. "Its offical its coming out Q3 2009...err i mean Q4 of 09!"

Is there a breaking point?

You gotta give them credit. They have seriously milked the hell out of this thing.

"Hey, we have this great new thing coming up. Keep clicking and depositing. Honest, we swear, it's gonna be great!!! No, no, can't really tell you too much about it. Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise. When's it going to be done? Any day now. Just keep clicking and sending us youjr money."

In the mean time, people are imagining scooters, hovercraft, spaceships, electric submarines, pets that do ballet, jump through hoops, and juggle chain saws, and fortunes beyond their wildest dreams.

But, in reality, what we have is an insanely complicated graphics update that will most likely only give us prettier pictures to click on while we piss away our peds.

Three cheers for the marketing department.

Actually, I believe the Fall 2008 was the original "target." I don't recall "in Worst case." ever being mentioned. Perhaps you have the link, I must have missed where MA said that. :scratch2:

My guess is, and i'm just speculating, MA's original target was based on the assumption, they could port most everything over, before the realization most everything would have to be re-done from scratch.

I and many others have used software that was rushed to completion when the "deadline" was more importanty than quality. MA please, please, please, take your time and do it right :)

Lastly, does anyone seriously expect a "hard target" date now?? Some people are screaming like babies now about "missed deadline's" as it is. You really think MA's gonna put another date out there so people will have another crying point if they miss that target?? :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, i'm eager to see the new engine in service as much as anyone. But it will be done when it's done. ;)

then my wife better damn well learn to not tell me she'll be ready in 10 minutes ... if she doesn't know herself, makes it hard for me to know her eh? :D

Last edited:

And you're surprised they are taking a long time?

And I can tell you from experience, textures are an absolute bastard to do. Not only do they have to make the diffuse colour maps (which is annoying to get lined up properly without visible seams), but also bump maps (which adds detail), specular / gloss maps (the way light reacts to the materials surface) and if applicable, opacity and reflective maps. Admittedly some of those can be automatically generated, but... still. It is a lot of work. Then all those maps have to be given the right numeric values and such to make the item look 'right'.

Making the textures often takes much much longer than creating the models themselves. Considering the number of different objects and environments inside EU, this is a collosal task.

And as mentioned here, they've probably found that porting everything over didn't work as expected. Errors cropping up here, there and everywhere. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they've had to rebuild most of EU from scratch. Often it's easier to do that than mess around trying to get old stuff to work. Think how messy the code must be now after all these updates. Maybe MA decided that they may as well do a complete overhaul and launch the game 'as new'?

That aside, it is somewhat unprofessional for a games company not to have a deadline and work strictly towards it. More often than not, a developer will have a publisher force deadlines upon them, meaning the staff actually have to pull out of office hours, sacrificing their own time to finish the project on time. However MindArk is both the developer AND publisher, so they can be as relaxed as they like with 'deadlines'. Why give a solid one, when if problems arise, they can keep pushing it back? At least thats how it comes across to me.

IMO they need to specify a deadline, give the employees some motivation to work towards. I can imagine what it must be like in the MA office. 'Oh I didn't manage to finish this item today... never mind, there's always tomorrow to finish it...', rather than the usual 'Damn, didn't finish this today... better finish it before I go home to stay on schedule.'

After all this time, the least I'd expect is maybe a CryEngine2 Developers blog, or update news on the MA site. *pokes Marco* Info please! :3

Not really comparable since MA in Late May 2008 promised Cry would be released B4 end of august 2008 in Worst case.

Any link or source for that?

I WANT IT NOW!

veruca_salt.jpg

Not really comparable since MA in Late May 2008 promised Cry would be released B4 end of august 2008 in Worst case. That "promise"..........

Where and when they "Promised"?
Cant find it?

I dont think my PC is ready for CE2 anyway. Will probably be able to run it but if I have to set grafic options at minimum, I hope it will not be ready before me.

Edit: Even at medium grafic settings I'm not interested.

Last edited:
Guess I was never one to think OMG this is going to change my gaming experience.

You guys waiting for a maker over before you realize its the same game and leave can continue to depo for another couple months.

Oh I'm not saying I dont want them to get it right, last thing it needs is a rush job, a rush job of content beyond lvl 40 ruined age of conan and it still has a ways to go, however they could say how far they got, I've done graphics textures and programming and know how projects work, its likely they somewhere have a project plan with percentages somewhere, so tell us how far they got make a blog tell us regularly what they do, if Microsoft of all companies can manage that why the hell can't mindark which is ultimately far more vulnerable to its image.

The last thing i saw about it was in the patch notes a good few months back, I dont want a date they cant meet but I'd like an idea how far are they through it and so on, and a little honesty to admit they have missed the date they said about and why, what's going on with it and so on, and less us guesstimate for ourselves.

The whole it'll be worth the wait argument works up until a point but when they miss a date it's time to open up more to offset the negative, simple manor's practically.

Back