Question: Damaged Mobs in the middle of nowhere ?

I am a bit confused here, beeing a noobie and all, but you guys can kill mobs that are not at full health and then loot them?

I thought they got "locked" to the first one who damaged them, please explain for this lost lil nub.

they get locked to the person who damages the mob more then half it's hp .. so it's most damage done loots it :silly2:

Hmmm...

They don't regen when off radar?!?... guess I won't worry about using tp chips to get back to where I was as often going fowards, lol. ;)

Ah, so if i damage a mob to 49%, nobody else who kills the rest 49% will be able to loot it.

But if i die at 49%, smart player, (lets call him Bob) sees the mob. Bob is a specially smart player and lets it regain to 51%, then kill it. And he then can $$ in on the mob and when poor lonesome Derid comes running after getting lost a couple of times Bob is far way gone and spending his $$ on buying more ammo.

Correct?! :)

Ah, so if i damage a mob to 49%, nobody else who kills the rest 49% will be able to loot it.

But if i die at 49%, smart player, (lets call him Bob) sees the mob. Bob is a specially smart player and lets it regain to 51%, then kill it. And he then can $$ in on the mob and when poor lonesome Derid comes running after getting lost a couple of times Bob is far way gone and spending his $$ on buying more ammo.

Correct?! :)

Yes, you can loot the mob if you do more damage to it.

If a mob has 100 hp and you do 51 damage to it and die, then the other dude waits for the mob to regain to 52 hp and does 52 damage to it and loots it.

Yes, you can loot the mob if you do more damage to it.

If a mob has 100 hp and you do 51 damage to it and die, then the other dude waits for the mob to regain to 52 hp and does 52 damage to it and loots it.

Thanks all for clearing that up for me.

Derid

Did anyone ever think that when we don't see a mob it doesn't exist.
Sounds stupid, but if no-one is around; why should MA leave those mobs in RAM memory on server? they could just aswell dump it and recall it when someone is around. Some area's on calypso are devoided of player activity long enough to make the effort well worth it.

Sounds stupid, but if no-one is around; why should MA leave those mobs in RAM memory on server? they could just aswell dump it and recall it when someone is around. Some area's on calypso are devoided of player activity long enough to make the effort well worth it.

Very possible the server for that area is also one with hard drives that don't use moving parts. Static hard drives. Means it can go on and off keeping exact memory of what state it was in. Conserves resources and less wear and tear on equipment.

I guess there are 4 kinds of things:
Static parameters that never change (like dmg power and stamina/max HP)
Dynamic values that are saved for a mob (in his case current HP)
Dynamic values that are discarded
Dynamic values that change over time (HP and location - when someone sees mob)

Keeping values for a mob in the server probably doesn't take so much resources, all you need to keep track of is mob ID, x,y,z, current HP and mob type+maturity. Maybe also "spawn ID", for purposes like taxing. We know that loot is calculated at time of looting, and things like max HP/stamina and agility can be looked up in a "mob table" if you know mob type+maturity.

I guess you save some CPU by only updating the mobs in the "quadrants" where there are hunters. Current health could probably be updated by some sort of batchjob, but location would have to be updated individually - if you'd batchupdate the location all mobs would move at the same time which would make hunters seasick lol, also when changing the location of a mob you have to check for rocks and plants.

If you didn'e save mobs att all, it would mean it would be practically impossible to escape from a land area (for instance the merp land area near Silver Ridge TP, or the Falx LA around the "water plant") by moving mobs aside - as soon as you die and get to revival, the mobs on the way would respawn as they usually are. Also the server would have to spawn mobs around you when someone suddently arrives in an area, for instance by TP-chip.

Servers must do mob placement and management independent of avatars- the proof is that 2 or more players can see the same mob in the same spot, even if approaching from opposite sides. Unlike turrets which target on you even if other players are around, but to them it looks to be targeted on them (but will target a mob if one wanders into range).

Back