Day/Night?

Msturlese

Stalker
Society
Dirty Dingos
Marco Killy Stur
I read once a post regarding day/night shift.
IMHO night is too dark and some palces like Monria are Horrible outside caves
i know it was voted once and playerbase voted for it
i would be considering due to Unreal Engine 5 arriving if this solution is still interesting for all
i would have a "shiny star night" with 50% luminosity reduction or maybe 75%
or remove dailyght cicle at all (as far as i know this is not Ryzom and there are not "night only monster" or "day only monster" so it is just visually annoying not seeing the collision clearly
i hope also that Unreal will fix the ludicrus "Monster is unreachable" that we experience in West road off twinpeaks where Argo spawn into trees, or rocks. that is a pre-beta acceptable issue, not a 15 year development stage.....
what do you think? night or not?
(of course we all want fixings)

Last edited:
If your night is too dark for you, then it is purely a matter of your settings, because i have no problems at all during my night cycle.
I know there is at least one safe mode/low/med/high option (sorry, i forgot which one it is, but it is not a slider), which dramatically improves light during night cycle and lights everything up by at least subjective ~25%.

I would suggest everyone to test their options during a night cycle, one by one.
Please share the setting name for the others here, once you found it.

Yes, the community stressed MA for years to get a night cycle. What a wonderful immersive idea back then!
And MA promised to do exciting things during night time, once they abased themself to hear the community's plea.
Like special creatures of night, some prominent and luminescent, others shy and stealthy, which only come out at night to mate, or stealthy predators, which only stalk their prey by night, etc.

Sadly MA only made things darker at night and decided to neglect all the great chances and opportunities that came with it.

Last edited:
I know there is at least one on/off option (sorry, i forgot which one it is, but it is not a slider), which dramatically improves light during night cycle and lights everything up by at least subjective ~25%.

IIRC it is the Shading option in the Advanced Graphics tab, and it turns everything dark when it is set to Safe Mode (going by memory so I could have gotten the name slightly wrong).

There was a period when I went around the fields until I found a fruit with a big TT, and then I started hunting in this place. I think the whole thing is clear. My expectation was that there would be better prey in this area, but that didn't happen. Still, from this simple experiment, I learned that each element in the game has its own ... let's call it a life cycle, through which the system determines which elements will have better or worse TT for a certain period of time.

Thinking about these periods, I noticed that the fruits are never in the afternoon or late at night. They begin to appear early in the morning almost until noon (time in the game).

Earlier, Calypso had Day / Night behavior, where at one point the day was only 2 hours, but the sun did not rise. Very often at the end of the day there were big blows. Even in (I think in December) I watched an EP4 streamer at this time, which was playing for ATH, I was hoping to hit it .. you know why ... there was an ATH of 165k I think, but it went to another player 2-3 minutes after the streamer is out of the game.

For some it may be speculation, but the big ATH come at a certain time (in the game), which is usually at the end of the day.

If you follow exactly the moment when Night disappears ... for example on Calypso, then this moment is not the same on the other planets.

If the topic is about visual effects... there is some... some mobs glow at night.... yohooo. But in addition to the visual effects, these Day / Night currently have another role.

600ped ATH dropped 5 minutes before the change of Night-> Day, and the smallest cycle in the game that I have understood so far lasts 7 and 10 minutes. There are too many cases for this interval to ignore.

There was a period when I went around the fields until I found a fruit with a big TT, and then I started hunting in this place. I think the whole thing is clear. My expectation was that there would be better prey in this area, but that didn't happen. Still, from this simple experiment, I learned that each element in the game has its own ... let's call it a life cycle, through which the system determines which elements will have better or worse TT for a certain period of time.

Thinking about these periods, I noticed that the fruits are never in the afternoon or late at night. They begin to appear early in the morning almost until noon (time in the game).

Earlier, Calypso had Day / Night behavior, where at one point the day was only 2 hours, but the sun did not rise. Very often at the end of the day there were big blows. Even in (I think in December) I watched an EP4 streamer at this time, which was playing for ATH, I was hoping to hit it .. you know why ... there was an ATH of 165k I think, but it went to another player 2-3 minutes after the streamer is out of the game.

For some it may be speculation, but the big ATH come at a certain time (in the game), which is usually at the end of the day.

If you follow exactly the moment when Night disappears ... for example on Calypso, then this moment is not the same on the other planets.

If the topic is about visual effects... there is some... some mobs glow at night.... yohooo. But in addition to the visual effects, these Day / Night currently have another role.

600ped ATH dropped 5 minutes before the change of Night-> Day, and the smallest cycle in the game that I have understood so far lasts 7 and 10 minutes. There are too many cases for this interval to ignore.

:rolleyes:

The issue of too dark night only occurs on Caly.

On all other planets the night brightness is well adjusted, this is still playable.
Night on Arkadia is great.
While on Calypso it is extremely annoying to have some places where at night you have to play on a black screen.. :confused:

Not only I can't see the mob at all, but sometimes I can't even see my avatar, while the brightness settings are good for daytime.
It doesn't make sense.

For a long time, I used to set the gama to 100% at night, while during day the basic setting is perfect (50%)
Now I'm tired of having to change the gama over and over, so very often I'm not hunting in a certain place just because it's dark and I can't see anything.

It has been asked several time also, lot of people have same issue whith night on Caly.. Hope UE5 will fix it at least..

The issue of too dark night only occurs on Caly.

On all other planets the night brightness is well adjusted, this is still playable.
Night on Arkadia is great.
While on Calypso it is extremely annoying to have some places where at night you have to play on a black screen.. :confused:

Not only I can't see the mob at all, but sometimes I can't even see my avatar, while the brightness settings are good for daytime.
It doesn't make sense.

For a long time, I used to set the gama to 100% at night, while during day the basic setting is perfect (50%)
Now I'm tired of having to change the gama over and over, so very often I'm not hunting in a certain place just because it's dark and I can't see anything.

It has been asked several time also, lot of people have same issue whith night on Caly.. Hope UE5 will fix it at least..

There are many places where this is not a problem, it depends not only on the brightness, but also on the environment.

Entropia-2021-07-11-22-58-12.jpg

Try this option.. and still think about the 1st post i do.

Entropia-2021-07-11-22-58-12.jpg

Try this option.. and still think about the 1st post i do.

I tried that, it doesn't work.
My shading quality setting is usually on medium, I put it on high, it doesn't change anything.

I tried also to put it in safe mode, and then I got a really black screen.. :giggle:

Anyway, again I don't think it's a matter of setting since it occurs only on Calypso.
I don't have any problems with brightness on any other planet, neither whith moon or sun..

Sorry I was one of those people who wanted day/night cycles for so long. In fact... "a long long time ago... I can still remember", there was a vote booth in game where players could actually vote for stuff. As I understand it, it was already disabled in 2004 when I arrived but that there had once been a vote on it for if players wanted day and night cycles and indeed they did. So they are the ONE thing that has been included due to democratic vote. Contrast this to how many people one might imagine would have voted for a "Battle Simulator" had the booths still existed in the game ,-)

From my own perspective, I actually feel the opposite and am saddened that, over time, the night cycles (on Caly at least) have been made lighter. Rather than scrap them/shorten them/adjust them, I'd rather see MA bring in some illumination items (which might be easier with the new engine - who knows) so that folks who really want to carry on hunting in the dark can, but with a little bit of help.

The problem is, as with all things, the more realism you put in the more the convenience is impacted. In essence, night time is a sort of "environmental barrier" to game play but, and this is important, MA do not make it night everywhere at once, so you always have the option of going else where for a while if you don't like the dark. Ultimately, if you start scrapping everything that presents a minor barrier to ease of game play, reductio ad absurdum will leave you with a slot machine or a text adventure.

I believe as with all things, the solution is compromise. Portable Repair Terminals are a good example. One could argue it's a barrier to game play or a hindrance to have to return to "civilisation" in order to repair an item but there has to be a line where we say "sorry, that's just part of the game". In the case or repair terminals MA did actually introduce these so those who really cared could "buy this convenience". Similarly MA could introduce portable lights for those players who really want help hunting in the dark if they are willing to pay for them.

Anyhow all this aside, I've heard that other planets can be overly dark at times.... for me, that is actually an incentive to visit them since I like some nice barriers that make the game more challenging/interesting to play. Maybe those guys need to ease off a little though? Hard one to call.

Ultimately I believe MA should keep night time play but, as has been pointed out here already, make it more relevant. By this I mean, different mobs or behaviours of mobs, different sounds, different environmental effects. In other words ensure day and night is a content expansion to the game that goes beyond just the visual and therefore isn't seen (by some) as merely an inconvenience. Case in point, if there was a special night time uba mob that only came out at night, fairly certain all the "loudest voices" of dissent would be silenced.

I tried that, it doesn't work.
My shading quality setting is usually on medium, I put it on high, it doesn't change anything.

I tried also to put it in safe mode, and then I got a really black screen.. :giggle:

Anyway, again I don't think it's a matter of setting since it occurs only on Calypso.
I don't have any problems with brightness on any other planet, neither whith moon or sun..

Did you check your monitor option?
This is very weird...

Back