Debate and discussion and why FOMA is now playerless?

RJ-Rob

Old Alpha
Society
Dirty Dingo's
RJ Rob James
So as the title suggests,

I wanted to start a discussion about why people think why FOMA has became playerless.........

I have played this game for 20+ years, but I created this avatar in 2010 because I lost the first one due to me losing access to the email associated with that account and forgetting the passwords etc lol.

Anyway I used to be a gambler miner myself until I switched to Hunting full time like 11 months ago. So I do have a fair share of what my take and reasonings are as to why FOMA has died in the last few years.

My views and yes my views only was that when MA changed the safe zones so that made flying between Foma and Caly safe and no longer lootable was when I think the traders left FOMA? I am not exactly sure because I was on one of those long term breaks at that time so I was not aware of the exact time that patch happened and when exactly the traders vacated FOMA........

But FOMA did used to be a gamblers heaven and it used to be very busy.

So I was wondering if what other people thought about why they think it might have died and if they had any ideas or suggestions on how it could somehow be brought back to life again?

I just think it is such a waste just an empty asteroid floating in space without any visits. I think there is like maybe 5 players who might come visit drop a few probes then leave a day (if that) but I would love for FOMA to be resurrected anyway.

I await the responses........ oh and lets try keep it nice please :)

Why wouldn’t anyone go to club NEVERDIE after NEVERDIE made a better version on 2 planets?

in reality it’s because there are better indoor mining locations

I use to mine FOMA. Took a 2/3 year break came back and something was different with it and I haven’t been able to put my finger on it…
Definitely less people up there now. Sometimes don’t see a single green dot.

I use to mine FOMA. Took a 2/3 year break came back and something was different with it and I haven’t been able to put my finger on it…
Definitely less people up there now. Sometimes don’t see a single green dot.

Yeah I agree something does seem different about it. And yes the owner had health issues as far as I am aware but not even sure if he has recovered or not? I hope he has anyway.........

But getting onto the point about the high tax comment. Well the reason why that is the case, is because the people that own the domes also no longer play. I was friends with a few of the dome owners back then and they just do not play any more, like Joe Jeff etc......... Mary Mary Jame also owned a dome at one point too. He sold it tho....... But that is why the domes taxes have not changed because they have not logged in to edit them or change them........ MA should probably step in and remove the taxes on them to be honest. It is not really fair that 5% is still getting put into those dormant accounts............

But hey what can we do. Not much....... Just a shame really.

Maybe MA will work something out for FOMA once UE5 launches perhaps? Maybe they will find a way to take back control from FOMA seeming he has no longer played? I really do not know if MA can actually do that especially for people who own an Asteroid lol :p

Why would anyone go? Tax is high, mining MU is low. It used to be the only indoor mining area, but that is no longer the case. Other indoor mining places are better. FOMA's owner has been MIA for years, and it seems nothing is being to address that situation...as a result, the area has been neglected. Almost no Dasps to kill if that's your thing.

TL;DR: There isn't much bringing players there, so it makes sense that it's not so popular these days.

Why would anyone go? Tax is high, mining MU is low. It used to be the only indoor mining area, but that is no longer the case. Other indoor mining places are better. FOMA's owner has been MIA for years, and it seems nothing is being to address that situation...as a result, the area has been neglected. Almost no Dasps to kill if that's your thing.

TL;DR: There isn't much bringing players there, so it makes sense that it's not so popular these days.

I get that there is better places for indoor mining now...... I just miss the old days when it used to be active and busy :(

just thought maybe EP4 killed it? FOMA and level 13 use to be an easy gamble. Now they just use EP4 instead?

Also..

Not sure they should just change someone’s land. That wouldn’t fill people will confidence. I mean I get they are inactive, but still they own it and invested large sums for it… I’m aware that has been done in the past, but they were very special cases.

I guess they could contact them in real life and let them know the intention before doing it?

Fingers crossed for UE5 for some big changes

On the hunting side of things, there is really no advantage going there as we now have untaxed spawns of Foma mobs on Treasure Island.

Miners also have other, better options for indoor mining, I'm assuming.

nothing specific on foma now. i not finding here something i can t find on other place, ores like mob so why go? foma need have more usefull specific for craft, with loot from mob and ground. the wielding wire bp aim in the good direction now.

On the hunting side of things, there is really no advantage going there as we now have untaxed spawns of Foma mobs on Treasure Island.

You have to be complete moron to engage in activities at 6% taxed land area.

Like others have said ep4 killed of mining. Not many high mining gamblers theses' days just look at hof tables. We have hell, Ark moon, Ark underground and Moria (that is untaxed). These places not as popular as they once were. You want to go back to the past? When there only one planet and ND did regular events. It's not going to happen. Will MA do anything no. They done nothing for years, they did nothing with NI when that was abounded for years. They will do nothing with RT now ND dose nothing.

Just wait a few years for UE5 to come and MA will sell FOMAS (FOMA shares) at a price of 10 ped each 500,000 shares. They will add some new unique mobs in there and remove all tax like they did with Treasure Island. They'll also add the best mining resources available.

People gonna rush to buy shares just like they did with CP shares. All FOMAs will be sold within 48h. In the end your shop will be worth 2 times more than you paid for it and you can then finally cash in profit when you sell it.

Alas at least that's your best case scenario.

It is not really fair that 5% is still getting put into those dormant accounts............

But hey what can we do. Not much....... Just a shame really.
What folks do is simply don't go there and go elsewhere where the tax is lower. That is what.

What Mindark could do is potentially put a unique mob in each dome and unique resources, but they aren't going to do that unless the owner of the place hassles them a lot to make it so.

what could do MA is
1. put FREE teleproter to CP and to FOMA and to MONRIA (same solar system) and to the new moon that will be used for UE5 test
2. Put Pyrite and Dianthus on FOMA drop table

that would attract all teh people that dont want to mine in lootable PVP and increase activity
is it of any interest of MA ? not at all because it is player owned place
so... it will just remain a desert land until something changes.

Very good points :)

what could do MA is
1. put FREE teleproter to CP and to FOMA and to MONRIA (same solar system) and to the new moon that will be used for UE5 test
2. Put Pyrite and Dianthus on FOMA drop table

that would attract all teh people that dont want to mine in lootable PVP and increase activity
is it of any interest of MA ? not at all because it is player owned place
so... it will just remain a desert land until something changes.

Now that idea I do like about MA adding Pyrite and Dianthus on FOMA. That would indeed bring a lot of people back to FOMA......

That wouldn’t be fair to the shop owners. Foma is a place for people to buy shops for cheap that will never be visited.

the shop owners there Will be mad if their deeds stop being worthless or if they suddently get customers, they expect privacy in their stores

Last edited:
uh, 5.5% tax for a place where you can get 100 NRF in a row,
where 9 times out of 10 you come back with 33% TT return,
100% of which is TT food (well.. the famous 2-3% MU of most resources ingame, that are actually only due to the auction fee :whistle:)

It seems to me a good start of explanation.

Last time I went there I had horrible returns. I noticed a lot of bots as well. The mobs used to be a draw but the domes have been neglected. I had more fun recently in Ark underground.

Oh right...I actually forgot they are on TI now. So pretty much no reason to go at all in its current state.

I mined twice on foma in past 4-5 years. 2 days ago i went to see how much caldo/narc i get and 50-60% of claims were iron. Tho my narc sold for 114% tho, i wont come again.

Last edited:
For those who treats mining as gambling:
In "old" times, mining loot doest have a cap, for cap i mean the maxmium claim size you can hit with or without amps. People hit 20k or even 30k+ unamped on planetside. In that system, on FOMA or other indoor areas it will give you a "hope" to get 100k or 200k if you are lucky, so people who prefer droping probes than hunting will chose play (gambling) on FOMA or other indoor mining area. since mining dont requires heavy armor, uber guns and faps... but now you almost can anticipate how big you will get no matter you lucky or not, like you went to a lottery shop the owner said: hey no matter how much time and $ you paid, the top prize is only 500 $..so why bother...plus we have EP4 now which is more convenient...

For those who treats mining as a way of palying eco or surriving:
yep, foma MU drops but there is still a bit MU. Yep, tax is high but there is still a hope if you lucky enough to hit one 50 or 100k deopends on your luck or amp, but..the caps of your loot size wipes it out so why not find a place with steay return and better MU, like palent side?

For those who dont care too much mining:
the players of the 2 types above dont go FOMA and more indoor mining choicess makes FOMA is not that unique. Globals or hofs are less and less been seen with a FOMA tag, and as time passed, the new players that joined day by day dont know about the history, rumors or other fun memories or what ever about of FOMA, it will became less popular if situations continues...

So, IMO caps in loot and MU are the two main reason, then lack of event and other similiar places make it worse.

My original dream in Entropia since I was a teenager was to own a biodome on the asteroid.

Before purchasing Khorum Coast I was trying to get my hands on a dome because I could finally afford one. I made a really good offer on the only dome I could locate for sale and was rejected.

So then, I decided to try and investigate the Foma and JoeJeff situation and see if they can be contacted. I heard that Foma had health problems and perhaps the poor guy may have passed away, that may explain his absence.

I wondered if this were true did he leave the virtual estate to anyone or explain how to manage it? It could be his family ended up with something and has no idea what it really is. Perhaps the account is just sitting dormant slowly gathering peds it will never withdraw? I wanted to solve this mystery and hopefully bring some new activity to the asteroid in the process!

After about two weeks of digging around the internet I had come to a dead end and only one of Foma's potential family members responded to me. She wasn't very friendly and only responded with three sentences and an email that went nowhere.

It is a shame, I think with a proper manager the asteroid could make a comeback.

One thing Mindark could change in the meantime is renaming every dome so that someone who owns one could try and do events or track their players to boost activity in their dome. Every dome being under the same global name makes them really difficult to manage and track. If they broke them up they would be more valuable in my opinion.

Not sure they should just change someone’s land. That wouldn’t fill people will confidence. I mean I get they are inactive, but still they own it and invested large sums for it… I’m aware that has been done in the past, but they were very special cases.

In Mindarks eyes, they invested about 1 cent, or whatever the TT value of the deed is. Any investemt is in Mindarks eyes moot, null and void, as the only security we have over items, deeds, or anything, is the TT value they hold.

But they do indeed hold the land deeds, which makes them the rightfull loaner of that land even if it just has 0 rent.

As for FOMA and Crystal Palace, as well as other planets moons and so on that are close to the main planet, so close that to go there is litterally a manual loading screen ... aka holding spacebar down till you're in space, then pressing W for about 5-10 seconds... godamn just let us TP up to them from the ground and keep the fee to go back down again... its not rocket science. And its litterally just gated behind inconvencience of a space thruster decay and old fees from back when they had not used tug ships and rammed the asteroid and space station so close to the planet you can piss on it while standing ontop of Port Atlantis highest skyscraper...

Back