Help: Decompression error #1024

Dannoboone

Hatchling
Decompression error #1024 Solved. Bad Ram stick :)

I have download this game about 5 times in last 3 days (the whole game downloads, and it is when I try to run the setup that the errors happen) and each time I get the same decompression error (#1024). I am, at the moment, trying dandy's WGET instalation and will edit this post if it works. The reason I put this post up is because there is really no mention of this error on the forums, that i have seen. Most decompression errors mean you need to re-download the game...and as I have done this 5 times, I think it's time to move onto some other options. I am almost certain the problem is on my end. Possiblitys include (through frantic google searches) Faulty Ram, Hard drive going out, some crazy tech talk about "C ++ and .net framework" ... so, if you have thoughts or suggestions please comment thanks. I will be editing this tonight with the status on my WGET download..and if it does not work I will post some of the tests I have done already.

Danno.

*update* Ok so after I recieved the dreaded obsolete instalation deal (before this whole mess started) I went to forums and read some things about checking my updates ..... after doing that I downloaded game... 5 times. Now after running Avast I discovered my .net framework 3.5 is corrupt/missing files...I hope this is a good thing, and the culprit.. I will update again soon!

*update* So, got the WGET to download and upon starting setup same decompression error when I get to the texture pack..... fixed the 3.5 framework. IDK..I'm lost.
*update* So, ran the western digital hard drive tester, all tests passed.
ran avast, spybot, then combofix from safemode all looks good.

Ok memtest 86+ Found a ram problem. One of my 4 sticks was bad. I was able to run the test with my flashdrive (Just an FYI)
I highly reccomend Belarc Advisor software. (some freeware I found along the way) It will tell you about alot of the stuff on your rig and even point you in the direction to get updates. Glad I have it now.
WGET worked fine but the download times were slow in comparison to Getright. Ty to Dandy and Wizzszz for pointing these out.
Roadkill's ram test did not find the ram issue. (Just an FYI)

Window XP SP3

Last edited:
If I remeber correctly Ihad the same error last year in december and it turned out to be a faulty ram bank.

So I would physically remove one and try again if it still fails replace it and remove another one.

Sometimes RAM test program also can find them (included on most Linux Live CD's)

ram test.

At the moment the only ram test I did said everything passed. What was the name of the test you ran? *Roadkill's Ram Test* Free and I didnt need to go through a whole copy iso to a disk and reboot and wait 30 minutes .... psh if you were in my shoes you would do the easy ones 1st, dont hate. lol

Last edited:
bump it up, all you computer wiz peeps help the poor guy out :D

still not working.

decompression errors..... fun stuff. Think its time to go back to WoW.

I had that error in the past, it caused by the file being downloaded damaged.

wget is very good program, but not 100% as each PC is differ.
And cancel download many times can increase the chance of damaging the file.

Maybe some one can give you the File Checksum Integrity MD5 to make sure the file isn't damaged.

You can try to do a disk clean up it may help.

dandy

Switch off additional firewall (not the windows built in one) & anti-virus and then download it again - you're not the first one with a corrupted setup file, this should fix it.

Ok.. the last 2 downloads were without any virus program running also I notice that some of my more recent downloads have also not made it whole..even smaller ones such as my re-download of avast. I believe its a hardware conflict or even a virus/worm. My memtest 86+ was pass on all tests ..my rodekill ram test was pass on all tests ... my Hard drive test (from the manufacturer) was pass ...My windows is all updated ... I also think it is possible that I screwed it up with a registry cleaner ( sadly I read about these too late) ... IE8 is running like shit Spybot found some adaware but just cookies... combo fix( run in safe mode) found nada I am in the process of trying to get avast but I keep getting either a decompression error or crc error ...also the last attempt at running setup(Entropia) I got a decompression error earlier than the texture pack ....

When I 1st got the obsolete installation message I ended up using combofix and finding a worm ..after a couple attempts at getting the game to dl I gave in did full wipe of hard drive including partition drive and re setup my rig.. so, either dell drivers or OS is missing something..I was missing winzip so idk will try to re-dl again see what up..blah hate this 4 days now with no luck.

Ok so I(since last attempt to download avast) have made winzip my primary unzip deal and flashed my bios (psh I don't know why) and avast downloaded with no problem and installed(via Mozilla , rawr!). Now after I full scan im gonna try to dl again.
Full scan via avast nothing found :) Now Spybot. Spybot found nada.
I noticed that avast was doing a quick scan for rootkits so I changed it to full..found two corrupt files having to do with dell drivers..it didn't say they were rootkits but meh, found two none the less and with a little effort I was able to remove them. One was a driver I removed the wrong way..yay!

I would LOVE a checksum from someone :) please and thank you!

Last edited:
I would LOVE a checksum from someone :) please and thank you!

Have you tried the built-in repair function in client loader?

(button "Tools", then in popup window tab "Repair", press "Start" and wait to see what it comes out with).

Also, just a guess, check if you can read/write to %temp% directory, and under "All Users" (it seems entropia nowdays place alot of stuff there).
You might try cleaning up the %temp% directory and move away what's in the entropia folders under your profile and under "all users", in case there is a corrupted file *there* (which probably won't get deleted by an uninstall).

Last edited:
No game = No repair tool.... I have not made it past setup. Downloaded again last night I got some different errors... and some same ones ..data integrity error CRC and decompression error 7 and decompression error 1024... need a checksum ..going to try to dl again this dl looks smaller than the last ones i have done. 1.7gig seems really wrong..fing forgot to turn off Microsoft auto updates as well. .Net framework update.... now I wonder how I'm missing these when I go to the Microsoft site before my download. :( Trying to find the %temp% file under all users atm.
On a side note.... Anyone live in Northern Arizona with a full install? ..... Seems like that would be the easiest thing to do at them moment, lol.

hmm I did find an Entropia setup log... that could come in handy... here is where it hung up

"[06/30/2010 07:14:09] Success Install archive file: C:\Program Files\Entropia Universe\data\client\shared\item\Textures.pak
[06/30/2010 07:14:15] Notice Start project event: On Install Error
[06/30/2010 07:14:15] Success Run project event: On Install Error
[06/30/2010 07:14:35] Error Install archive file: C:\Program Files\Entropia Universe\data\client\shared\item\Textures.pak (123)
[06/30/2010 07:14:35] Success Delete image file: C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_sf_temp_0\IRIMG1.JPG
[06/30/2010 07:14:35] Success Delete image file: C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_sf_temp_0\IRIMG2.JPG
[06/30/2010 07:14:35] Notice Exit setup process (Return code: 123)"

Now to figure out what it means..

*UPDATE* Ok, so I started windows up in safe mode and tried to install the game...and BAM ran like a champ until I got a message insert disc 3...I was already aware the download from last night was not the right size (1.7gig) and that it was missing some files mainly the ones labeled with a .3 and .4 (I assume these are the disks), so I am confident(with a complete download) I can get it working this time around!!!! About time. So, I do need a way to determine if I have all the files...hoping someone will come through in the next 7.5 hours so I can check my next DL attempt.

Last edited:
Download it again with a download manager (i.e. GetRight - yes, there is a free trial version available, too), to make sure it is complete.

Simply google for "GetRight" or follow the link in my signature.

Last edited:
No game = No repair tool.... I have not made it past setup.

The repair tool is in the client loader, so you mean you haven't been able to even download and start the client loader? (It's not big)

(This is a typical path to clientloader: "C:\Program Files\Entropia Universe\bin32\ClientLoader.exe")

Another thing to try is to reinstall the c++ libraries, they caused some headache in beginning of VU10; on 32 bit OS you got message "Program error" and on 64 bit OS "Side by side configuration error".

See this:
To avoid confussion, post updated :D

For anybody receiving the side by side error,
regardless of Win OS version your using.

Including Vista x64 and Win7 x64.

Just got told they are still using C++ 2005 :)

Do this first, download and install C++ 2005 redist SP1

Originally Posted by Lavawalker
If so, the 2005 SP1 redistributable is required.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

Do this second, install security hotfix for C++ 2005 redist SP1
To fix this error, you need to install the following update:

Microsoft Knowledgebase 973544

Direct link to the package:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update

Entropia CE2 Client is x86 (32-Bit) software, not x64.
Please download from the above links the x86 files.

C ++

I have,
Microsoft Visual C ++ 2005 Redistributable
and
Microsoft Visual C ++ 2008 Redistributable -x86
(version 8.0.59193)

Oh, and ty by the way :)

Oh, I have been going directly to the Microsoft update site, would these updates be coming with the "express" option or are they "optional"?

I would open up the rig and remove 50% of the RAM then tryit if it still fails swap the RAM and try a second time.

I bet 500 EFD on a success even if RAM test prg. says all is OK

Ram swap

Ok if after the download again does not work I will try that. Why would the program be running in safe mode if it is a ram issue is what comes to mind though. If you mean the ram is what is causing me to not get the whole file then ..ya maybe I could see that. If you mean for it to even run... then I would take that bet if i had the efd. (someone else should take his bet imo.) :)

None the less appreciate your response.

At the moment I'm at 50% download on the 9th download. So hopefully I can meet you two in-game for a drink at the local pub, tehe.

As far as the checksum goes........ I still need one if the client loader finds the program to be missing or have crc mismatch it will make me DL large chunks again and possibly the whole game I need one from outside source ..I know I have seen one while trollin the tech files but it is prolly old...

Multiple setup files available

For your information;

Multiple setup files: version 11.2.2 (smaller size)

entropia_universe_setup_11.2.2.53823.exe 650MB
entropia_universe_setup_11.2.2.53823.2 650MB
entropia_universe_setup_11.2.2.53823.3 650MB
entropia_universe_setup_11.2.2.53823.4 650MB
entropia_universe_setup_11.2.2.53823.5 650MB
entropia_universe_setup_11.2.2.53823.6 650MB
entropia_universe_setup_11.2.2.53823.7 359MB

You can browse all setup files here in case this instruction isn't up to date.
http://download.entropiauniverse.com/install/

dandy

Dandy, I love you man.

Raffaele.... You sir, were right. I had a bad stick. Idk how the tests missed it but on the second pass of memtest86+ ..... found it. Dont have 500 EFD but ...I'm tossin you some just cause you nailed it.

And for the others devided up the rest I have to you for the help, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Dandy, I love you man.

Raffaele.... You sir, were right. I had a bad stick. Idk how the tests missed it but on the second pass of memtest86+ ..... found it. Dont have 500 EFD but ...I'm tossin you some just cause you nailed it.

And for the others devided up the rest I have to you for the help, much appreciated.

NP, thx for the 100 EFD. It is enough ;) I just made the bet statement to show that I'm serious with my statement about me haveing the same fault.

PS:
It was in a really ba time as I helped AoW to win the LA, only as a loot collector on their Chomper raids and right at the begin of the event I noticed that I frequently disconnected or the game freezed. In that rig I had 4 GB Ram and decent CPU and Graka. So I swutched tomy Laptop to help out AoW while trying to download and reinstall the game on the Desktop.
I went trough all the steps with even reinstalling Windows and had no success at all. Then I took a step back and thought about all the things I did without success and noticed that the decompression fails on the large files from there to the conclusion it could be a Ram failure was only a little thinking process how I would program a fast decompression prg.... to think it has to be a faulty Ram cell.
Took one SIMM out and all went well.

PPS:
I can tell you was crap to help out when you have all graphic settings on low and all the avatars where grey. Very hard to allways fnd the right one to collect the loot or find your team again after unloading....

PPPS:
In save mode the prg's dont use all available RAM in your Rig so this would explain why in that mode you did not have a error while decompressing.

Last edited:
Back