Departure - it's a story so please enjoy

TheWishgranter

Dominant
Society
Temporal Destinies
Wrath Al Ghul
If 5-10 minutes is too much to sacrifice to read this, then by all means don't. For the rest of you I hope you'll like it and obviously it's completely fictionary :)

Departure by Wrath Al Ghul

2031 1st May
It's been 4 years since my wife died. I have been raising our daughter alone, she's turning 5 years old in a week and I have got a big birthday party planned out for her. I own the local bank in town, It's a small town with not more than 1500 inhabitants.

I normally get of work at 16:00 but I decided to quit a bit earlier because I was going to the market to pick up some stuff for my daughter, Kayla's birthday and then straight to daycare to take her home.

She was constantly asking what I was carrying in the bag while we were taking the 3 kilometers walk home from daycare. I just kept telling her it's a bag filled with a bunch of potatoes, but she's a bright one and she could tell that I wasn't telling her the truth but I just had her keep guessing, she may even have stumbled across the truth, but ofcourse I couldn't spoil her birthday so I just kept quiet.

I am sitting here smiling to myself thinking about it.
-
-

2031 27th May
The Americans have been requested to leave Europe after occupying big chunks of land ever since year 2022. The countries of Europe have threated USA to unite forces for a full scale attack if they do not honor their request. Several American Company owners refuse and Europe is unresting.
-
-

2032 9th December
I didn't have time to read to my daughter, I was too swapped up with work. So Kayla had decided that she was going to read to me instead, even though she was only 6 her reading skills were rather impressive. I bought her a book with medeival tales last month and now I haven't seen her put it away ever since. She had this favourite tale about a young girl who was slaving for her adoptive family, they treated her like crap, constantly insulting her and having her do all the work around the farm. The girl couldn't take it anymore so one day she ran away to find her real mother and father and her search was filled with adventures.

Today she fell asleep infront of the tv so I had to carry her to her room and tuck her in. I'm currently watching my little angel sleep, may she stay this cute and innocent forever.
-
-

2033 12th February
The president of America, Jay Smith is murdered during a debate and the suspect is still on the lose. Experts believes European extremists may have had their hands in the killing.
-
-

2037 21st July
Kayla is eleven, last night was the first time she told me about a crush she's got on one of the boys in her class. She wanted me to give her some advices in how to make him notice her, I didn't know what to say, I always thought her mother would handle these kind of things. So unfortunately this wasn't really my field of expertises so I just told her to do what I did while I was in her age to get girls to notice me. Crack them up with some real stupid childish joke and whenever I had the chance making sure I was always the loudest boy in the group.

I now realize after writing it down that perhaps it wasn't such a great advice after all.
-
-

2038 5th July
The Americans have been pulled away from Europe, however right before the american factories were closed down they were severly sabotaged, and for the Americans to make sure that Europe could not take any use of their recently retaken land. Greatly Amplified nuclear waste was spilled accross great distances leaving nothing but contanimated ground and radioactive ore. Europe is protesting.
-
-

2039 7th December
It's late, a quarter passed midnight, Kayla has gone to sleep but I'm currently sitting in my work office writing while listening to the radio for updates.
My day started out as any other day, I had slept way too little as usual and so I decided to snooze a few extra minutes, unfortunately those few extra minutes added up to another few minutes and well let's just say I didn't have time to stop for coffee or breakfeast since I'd be late for work.

I had two angry customers waiting at the bank when I got there, it was a man in his mid thirties and an old woman.
The man didn't say anything but you could tell he was dissappointed, however he did the noble thing and kept it for himself, I can't say that goes for the woman aswell though:
-It says your bank opens up at 8pm, it's currently 8.09. What's wrong with the people of today, you young ones don't have any respect for others, I bet you're using drugs aswell you pathetic pothead.

I didn't try to defend myself, I just told her I was very sorry for the inconvenience and that it wouldn't happen again, thinking about it now I would really like to go back in time a bit and tell her a thing or two.

I had my assistant take a little longer drive this morning to work so that she could pick up some breakfeast for me, she arrived at the bank 9:30 with a package of sandwiches and a cup of coffee and thank god for that, my stomache was aching for food since I skipped breakfeast this morning.

I handled a few customers while I had my assistant booking the golf course for the weekend. We had a very important customer coming in who was a real golf enthusiast, I offered him to play a few holes with me and he happily accepted. The problem is I can't play golf for shit, luckily a friend of mine has agreed to give me a lesson or two just in time for the weekend so that I won't make a complete fool out of myself.

I was about to go to lunch when something strange happend. A big siren started to horn and first I thought it was the fire alarm but I quickly realized that it wasn't coming from the bank. It was the town hall emergency siren. I closed down the bank and picked up Kalya from school, apparently so did everyone else aswell. The school halls were flooded with parents looking for their children.

We got home, Kayla offered her self to make some food while I turned on the radio intensively listening for news regarding our situation, what could be the emergency?
- do not go to sleep.
- I repeat. Great fellow Americans, Europe is at our doorsteps, the germans along with the russians has crossed the border with their ground forces and several air bases have been bombed by enemy military air force. We're at war and if you've served in the military please report to base Night Ground immediately.
- Civilians are encouraged to stay indoors untill we've got another status update, please stay tuned, do not go to sleep.
-
-

2040 1st July
By the time of 16:00 the sky was filled with flashing lights, moments later Washington was gone. Several other cities followed, New York, San francisco and Los Angeles had all been nuked to dust by nightfall. USA quickly responds and a counter-attack is organized, both Moskva and Berlin is elevated with the ground.
-
-

2041 1st July
A year has passed since I first heard the emergancy signal. We were told that this was going to be all over soon, but now it's been a year since Washington is gone, the war has demanded the lives of over two million americans.

So far over 4 million people are expected to have been killed during the war and another 12 million wounded or missing in battle. The Hospitals are undermannered, soldiers are treated but barely, people do not receive the required medical care and thousands have died in their homes.

Kayla is asleep, she's missing her friends and teachers from school. Sadly the schools were shut down only months after the Europeans crossed the border. It's so unfair, she diserves a normal childhood filled with love and laughter, not war and suffery.

What will this leave to the future?

Do I really want Kayla to grow up in a world like this?
-
-

2041 27th August
I'm scared thinking of the future, I feel something is severly wrong, something that we've caused with our idiotic fighting. I have not seen one single wild animal ever since the nukings took place, there are no birds, deers, elks no nothing, it's weird. I even went for a little trip down the forest a few kilometers away expecting to atleast hear a bird cry somewhere up the trees, but only silence filled the air.

What has happened to all the animals?
-
-

2041 1st December
Experts proclaim the world decaying. Life is coming to an end and we're the cause of it. The Nuclear attacks have taken a big bite out of life disrupting the balance of nature and we're about to deal with the consequences. All we can do is sit back and watch, hope is lost and chaos is upon us.
-
-

2041 2nd December
Listening to the radio last night tells me there is no hope left, My heart is aching by the idea of never watching Kayla fully grow up. What should I tell my daughter and how will she react?
-
-

2041 18th December
The war has come to an end, leaders of the world have realized what they've done and that it's time for cooperating not war. The question is if its too late?
-
-

2042 1st January
A nearby planet carrying life has been discovered by NASA telescope located on New Zealand, a planet similar to our own, it's atmosphere very much alike. It's been named Calypso after John Calypso, the astronomist which discovered the planet, however it's more commonly refeered to as The Last Hope.

Plans are set up and convoys are quickly put together. This might mean that there is hope after all, a chance for survival, a chance for life to go on.
Unfortunately, the world leaders quickly announce that they can only take so much people and that means that they're going to have to randomly select the people who're going to carry on life which means leaving billions of people to die
-
-

2042 2nd February
I'm currently sitting next to Kayla, we're holding hands, she's glanced at my logbook a few times but she never asked questions about it, I prefeer it this way.
- Dad, I'm scared.
- I know, I am aswell.

They called us at home telling us to pack only our most essential belongings adding up to maximum 10 objects not weighting more than 5 kilograms all together. We had only two hours to get ready and then a car would come to pick us up.

It's been 3 days since take off and it all happend so quick, I stil can't quite grasp it, how is it possible we were elected?

I am forever greatful for that this second chance has been given to us, perhaps I will have a chance to watch my daughter grow up after all. Atleast that is what I thought.

However something has gone wrong, we were sitting here in our room when we suddenly started to hear screamings. I decided to go and take a look but as I stepped out of the room one of the stewardess caught me.
- You must remain in your room, Go back to your room it is dangerous out here. Please, and lock the door behind you.

I didn't have time to do much more than have a quick look around but that was all it took, there was blood on the walls and numerous dead bodies were lying around. I quickly went back to Kayla and locked the door behind me, I am not going to let anything happen to Kayla.
-
-

TO BE CONTINUED. ( I will post the second part here in this thread as soon as I've completed it, I might even make an external post linking back to this thread )

I hope you enjoyed the first part.

Last edited:
That was really really good! I read the whole thing and couldn't stop. :D

Very good story, and it ties in nicely with EU. When he talked about how scientists found Calypso, I got goosebumps because of the connection. :eek:

I am eagerly looking forward to the next parts.

+ Rep for sure

And I loved the line "Experts proclaim the world decaying" because it made me think "I wonder how much it would cost to get it repaired at the RT". :yup:

thoughtful but great story... nice to read.

+rep

to be continued. ( i will post the second part here in this thread as soon as i've completed it, i might even make an external post linking back to this thread )

i hope you enjoyed the first part.

i hope not!

Back