Question: Do mining areas really matter?

bettlejus

Stalker
Society
ROUA
Joan Xperia Dárc
Hi, I am new in mining, only LVL 5 Prospector and used a F-103, now using F211(L)

In the last 5 days I have mined only and I see that I do pretty constant with the profit/loss

I think my loot pool in on the average, because of the losses in hunting

I don't have any mining strategy yet, I basically do ~100-400m drops randomly on Calypso and Amethera

after this randomly drops and loot return I am starting to think that the area you mine doesn't really counts that much (maybe 20%) all i think that counts is the loot-pool wich again I think it is common for hunting and mining at least (don't know for crafting)

Also this behavior applied to me on hunting wich has been my only activity for the past 4 months (level 39 HIT now)
when my loot-pool was bad I was at levis and all the people around me got HOFs and I didn't get not 1 global, I think this is the case with mining also

If possible can you, more experienced miners, share an idea about this, do you think that areas count that much? or is it all related to loot-pool?

Thanks!

You can find maybe resource A & B in Area 1, in area 2 you can find C & B , but not A, in area 3 you find maybe resource D & A, that's where mining areas differ. Mining resources have different MUs, so all mining is about the knowledge of areas. However your TT return will remain same in all areas.
But that TT return is not what you are looking for anyway, but for the MU, so i'd say 90% knowledge about market & areas and max 10% luck is what makes a long term successful miner

If you lookin for tt returns only...it doesnt matter that much..

If you lookin for tt returns only...it doesnt matter that much..

I agree with that. Only thing that changes is what you find as you visit different areas. There is no way to beat the system. You might get lucky and receive a gift from ma you didn't generate in loses but "finding" those gifts probably aren't possible and are truely random.

In otherwords have fun and try to find the best ore/enmatters you can :)

yes, forgot to mention that important fact:)

I am referring to the tt return, I know that 1 area has better MU than another, but even so if the better MU area has lower TT return, the overall return will be the same

One strange thing happen, I was mining in Amethera on the ice part, mined from north to south, almost all white area and I had double return, went back the next day and I had minus double return:) so don't think that an area is good always, but the good part was that i now know how fast hogglo are:laugh:

Can't wait to go play tonight after work with the new F211, much more depth than F-103, just to see if that really makes a difference

Also a noob question...

If a finder has let's say 500m search depth, it means it will pick up resources from 0-500 meters? or just the ones at about 500 meters?

Last edited:
It depends what you believe about the loot system really.

You mentioned several times "my loot-pool" - maybe there is a language barrier separating my interpretation of what you mean, if you believe it's like a slot machine and you are pulling a separate lever from the person beside you.

I've always believed mobs spawn with the loot they give, and over 10 years of hunting I tend to sway more in in that direction. The only "loot-pool" that would exist, in my opinion anyhow, is there for anyone to take from, not given to one single person, so everyone may have an equal chance depending on time/place.

From my experience in mining I would also say the same thing, it is my belief the claims will be there for anyone who would happen to drop a bomb in that spot .. now this has become a much more complicated system with Amps and the large range of depths that finders now provide, so I may be wrong in this area as I've done very little mining over the last 2 years.

My belief is that the more an area is mined, the more of a chance there will be larger finds to be had in said area. I won't begin to judge how large or small of an area that might be as I just don't do that much mining these days. But if for instance you look at CND (FOMA) the amount of large mining finds is exponential compared to anywhere else. Yes it was said in the beginning that CND would offer better mining for higher skilled players, or with the use of amplifiers, but if suddenly 90% of the people stopped mining there, would the claims still be so large, so frequently? I have my serious doubts. There is also the luck factor, you could just be in the right place at the right time.

Maybe someone has a better idea, or some better advice, but the only tip I can really give is; take a look at the mining charts found in the guide section of the forum, once you figure out exactly what minerals you will be finding most often with your current finder depth range, then find out which areas have the most diverse type of the minerals you are able to find consistently. This is also assuming they even have a MU to make them worth finding at all ;)

Again this is not a clear fact of how things in the game work, simply my opinion based on many years of playing.

Last edited:
This is my observations from the last few years that have done well for me.

1. Area and time do matter, maybe not as much as it has in the past but it does. I can mine an area and have 4-6 NRF in a row then jump to a completely different area and increase my hit rate exponentially.

2. Think of dropping a probe/bomb as an equation. When you drop a bomb an equation is started with a variable, Ores that are currently globeling like Belk yesterday have a higher hit variable meaning any area you may be in that has Belk may have a higher variable thus increasing your claim size or chance to global.

3. MU% over the long run will reduce your losses and may eventually lead to profit, however those ores/enmatter have to be hitting in order to get a decent TT value. Don't stay in a spot with High MU ore if you are not getting claims, leave and try a different area or take a break.

If a finder has let's say 500m search depth, it means it will pick up resources from 0-500 meters? or just the ones at about 500 meters?

Aaaah I love all those loottheory's lol

to answer you're Q.. 95% of you're claims will be at +-200m of avg search depth.
So for you're 500m finder, 95% of claims will be in the 300-700m depth range

I can say this. Area does matter. Time does matter. and Spacing mining right Matters.

Time, area, expense. Don't take area out of the equation.

I don't believe that exist such thing as good or bad area, only a base luck of the area, which in conjunction with your luck may decide wether your tt return over time will be spikey or more linear. I am unsure of one aspect tho, wether or not fields have between them stripes with 0 minerals.

Upon detonation of the probe - jump.

Ore/enmatt thinks that you're gone, and spawns. Right timing matters, you must be in the air right before detonation.

:wise:TT return will stay about the same. I mine unammped. If I spend 100ped I normally get back around 70ped TT. Lets say freakishly I was to spend 100ped with 0 TT return(zero hit), then I decided to spend another 100ped mining. I predict at some point I will receive back around 140 ped tt 200ped spent = about 140 back. You could expand this to say if you spent 1k ped mining you will receive back 700ped tt Lets say your returns are around 50% and you cycle 1k ped you get back 500ped, good news for you you have a 200ped global HoF waiting. It will generally right its self to 70% return. Low returns screw ppl up because they arent prepared to continue unless the return rate stays high (70%), they have to depo to continue.

Where ppl really throw the stone through their own glass bottom boat is when they try and use amps to hopefully screw with this. A 30% loss screwing with amps with out a bit of understand will seriously mess you up. You will eat through your ped and probably have to depo alot quicker mainly because the return rate can go alot lower then 70%

Time maters, determines approximate return/loss. Area matters, determines MU. Amount of ped decay matters determines whats waiting in the wings. :yup:

I often mine over an area that is not mined very much by others. I have noticed that if I stay away for a few days there are more and larger claims. What if a given number of spawn points are somewhat randomly placed over an area and then incremented in size hourly, daily, weekly . . . whatever . . . until found by a miner. This would provide a controllable flow of loot out into the game. Mindark could simply alter the incrementation according to the inflow of player cash.

Don't know about the importance of the area where you mine.

I always try to mine in places that have higher mark-up minerals and that (usually) makes up for the tt loss.

When I mapped my claims in a certain area , ( just after Vu 10 ,in my neighborhood around raven valley )
I saw very clearly which areas that was blank and which contained claims .
The area with claims was very specific and ranged in a circle from a TP to the Sea .

MAP the area with Rookies is one way to find new areas , as mining the obvious places can be rather crowded,

Thats the best thing with all the new planets , more acres to the miners :dunce:

I think mapping is a good idea. I have decided to completely reboot my mining career and forget all my previous knowledge.

Whats a mining area?

I can only suggest as others have ,map your mining runs and keep a log. I prefer to mine unamped to keep costs down. Don't go to areas that is mined frequently or where you have mined previously and had a poor result.

Hope that helps

Mine unamped for markup, forget everything else and you will do well

Rgds

Ace

I can only suggest as others have ,map your mining runs and keep a log. I prefer to mine unamped to keep costs down. Don't go to areas that is mined frequently or where you have mined previously and had a poor result.

Hope that helps

I'm mining the same area over and over again and my result vary much from 64% TT return to 164% TT return. I was also following other miners and kept starting at the same point after finishing my run (ok that was a difference of 4hour). After 15k TT spent my average TT return is around 97% so far.

I'm mining the same area over and over again and my result vary much from 64% TT return to 164% TT return. I was also following other miners and kept starting at the same point after finishing my run (ok that was a difference of 4hour). After 15k TT spent my average TT return is around 97% so far.

It's all about markup.
I see the top miners camp the same spots (with the best markup) every single day. Time/area certainly matters for the resource TYPE, but how good you do in an area is up to Lootius.

Since creating this post, I have gained more experienced and I can agree with those who said that minig area do matter

It matters in a different way, not in the way of tt return, but MU return aka high MU for minerals

Also, I haven't changed my opinion about the loot pool, what I mean is, if you're on the bad side, you'll stay there no matter what, MA must take you're money, but then it comes the good side when almost all your finds go up

LVL 12 Prospector now and I can agree with that for mining and for hunting

The good part is that I'm on the good side for now, let;s see how much it will last:)

For a week or so I started to do unammped laps with F-106, double drops, ores&enmatt, I am trying to test if the above also applies for double drops, 1 problem I have here is that I am only LVL 7 in Surveyor, but soon I will maxx the F-106 also for enamatter and see how it goes

Also the bad part when you mine for enmatt&ores is that you find a lot of things and thus raising staks of at leat 50 PED is harder, stacks bellow 50 PED ar not worth selling in auction

Also I think that if an area has a lot of miners, aka a lot of peds spent, that area most likely will be better for you than an deserted one, would be better for you if you;re on the good side:) If not I think you will lose more peds than with a deserted area

GL everyone!

With regards to MA taking your money, how much are you willing to loose for a video game ?

Personally I do not see any skill involved with mining when actually mining anymore. Pick an area, blow a charge, move 100m repeat. Very boring gameplay right there.

When the spiral was active, it was much more of a challenge for me personally as I had to keep track of the time, my coordinates and where I was going to move to next. Now that was mining, a thinking man's game.

Not this snorefest of rinse-repeat gameplay.

is there a tool or website somewhere where you can input the resource you want to mine, and get a list of areas that have this mineral available? thanks

With regards to MA taking your money, how much are you willing to loose for a video game ?

Personally I do not see any skill involved with mining when actually mining anymore. Pick an area, blow a charge, move 100m repeat. Very boring gameplay right there.

When the spiral was active, it was much more of a challenge for me personally as I had to keep track of the time, my coordinates and where I was going to move to next. Now that was mining, a thinking man's game.

Not this snorefest of rinse-repeat gameplay.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find that the Finder or skills dont matter so much anymore , Been running with both 103 and 105 finders and I have got great results with just the 103 finder . claims are always lower then the finder range stats anyway.

Back