Does search radius matter and how fast resources respawn

The Wise

Provider
Johhny The Wise Row
Hi,
Few questions on mining: I noticed that some miners here say that they ignore mining finder search radius and just spam the drops and still get like 90%+ returns back. How many of you would say it's true based ion your experience?
Also, what's the soonest you return to the area you've mined before. I'm talking about Caly as I've never been to other planets.
Finally- does dropping the probes right after someone else has dropped there matters? In the non-lootable PVP area where people are looking for pyrite there are a bunch of miners in an area soon one afer another and at least based on my experiece it doesn't seem to matter that much at all.
Thanks!

Get little big mining log. This will help show when you can double drop.

Say range is 55m. You drop bomb, but find something within 5m. then you still have 45m to find something else.

I carpet bomb and normally return back to start within 30/60mins and never had a problem.

Yeah typically if you drop behind someone else has it'll be dry. However just mine mega deep and you can do what you want, most people just skim over the top...

stuff starts to respawn after 15min

Get little big mining log. This will help show when you can double drop.

Say range is 55m. You drop bomb, but find something within 5m. then you still have 45m to find something else.

I carpet bomb and normally return back to start within 30/60mins and never had a problem.

Yeah typically if you drop behind someone else has it'll be dry. However just mine mega deep and you can do what you want, most people just skim over the top...
I've downloaded Little Big Mining log but haven't managed to get it working and don't quite understand how it works and what it does, however I'll try again.

By carpet bombing do you mean dropping probes one after another as soon as you can?

Not a huge miner so take my word as you like.

For the previous 4 years, whenever I did mine I was very strict in not overlapping so dropping every 110m or so, now, after reading people saying it doesn't matter, if I find something I drop instantly, if no find I might wait a few seconds but never the full 110m distance between drops.
I do not see any difference in loot other than every now and then I find these massive clusters of 10-15 claims in close proximity (all showing at same time on radar).
So yeah, I drop almost as soon as I can drop again, if not, waiting max 5sec I'd say.

If I see people dropping around me I'm a bit sceptical so trying out the ground, if I feel it's "empty" I leave and comeback maybe 30min later.

If I see people dropping around me I'm a bit sceptical so trying out the ground, if I feel it's "empty" I leave and comeback maybe 30min later.
Yeah typically if you drop behind someone else has it'll be dry.
This is definitelty something to keep in mind. Make sure not to mine behind someone else or in areas that are too crowded unless the MU in the area is worth it!
All in all i can say that no matter how you drop, if you cycle enough your TT should stabilize as it does with every other thing in EU. Just. Cycle. Enough.

To answer the title question, your radius and depth DO NOT affect how fast ores respawn, that number (from experience) lies between 15-30minutes.

the only thing that matters is timing :tower:

I and my socleader did a testrun with same amount of probes as I always bring with me,
this was some months ago. Where ever he dropped a probe I dropped one directly after
at same spot.
Both my tt and what I use to get in that area were the same as it use to be.

Only way to figure things out is to test by yourself.

So what do you guys do in the orange PVP on Eudoria?

So what do you guys do in the orange PVP on Eudoria?
in Argus, the tt is usualy close to 90% partially because its so over crowded. There is always a miner who wouldve mined the area you are mining. I usualy autodrop cause ive noticed the difference in tt is negligible when dropping at a fixed distance of 90 or 120 M

There are a few testing threads in my signature.

The take home is that if you drop in the exact same area as another person (or yourself) in close succession, you will have a near zero hit rate (though not zero, but also no difference in claim sizes when you do hit one). In the testing we did, it was somewhere around 15 minutes until hit rate went back to the control group percentage, but that could vary by area. Either way, just don't overlap, and depth doesn't "count" for improving hit rate either, only what kinds of resources you find if you manage to find a claim.

You really have to do your own testing for a lot further extensions of this though. I don't mine the same area every 15 minutes for instance. As for search radius, it hasn't been tested how it affects planet-side mining claim sizes. In indoor mining, your search radius drops, but you get larger claim sizes with lower hit rate that comes from the decreased searched area. Planetside would work that way, but it's likely a minor effect if it does since there aren't huge differences in search radius there.

Last edited:
Back