Question: Does tt rate and tt itself ruin the economy?

What i'm referring about the tt isn't the terminal itself, it's the sell option of said terminal and the items base value. But the problem here is, without tt and mindark only profiting from deposit fees and auction fees (which is a profit in itself) and not from the decay is that players would all have a chance of profit, and they would stop depositing.

Most likelly they would create some new form of currency. And this would happen, ofc, if mindark didn't declare bankrupcy.

This was a bad idea as i said earlier, and as someone said in this thread there are no base needs one has to fullfill ingame, so the economy is good as it is. Not perfect, but good.

My sugestion now would be to increase the ways of player interaction between them and their environment, this would surelly increase the economy of the EU market.

And as i said earlier, thank you all for your replies, but it was a dumb idea. But hey, it was worth a shot. :ahh:

Sounds like you played SL and liked it. I know some SL players that perfer the tt system here.

Sound more like a comparison to AW than to SL. The only things, off the top of my head, that SL has in common with EU is that it's 3d, RCE, you can own land, and you can upload textures to be used in some way. The mechanics of the platform are vastly and completely different. So when I say it sounds like a nod towards AW, it's because AW is basically just like EU, only with no TT lol. In fact they have discussions on the forum that are the polar opposite of this, referring to what it would be like to have TTs. I will state right now, that I have first hand experience and can say, not having TTs in a game like this is not really much fun. Not having TTs in SL is a non-sequitor. There is no logical reason to have them there.

Holy crap, over 25 posts and no one's touched on the obvious yet

Um, ok, then how much would it cost to buy the items from the Trade Terminal? Y'know, ammo, probes, refiner, MF implant, inserter, oh, and lil things like n00b weapons.

Where do you think the term TT comes from?

--added--
Also, from what number do you base decay on? Or does everything work forever and never need to be repaired?
--/added--

In a platform with no TT mechanics, one possible solution is that you don't buy things like ammo and tools, you craft them from basic resources, using a crafting terminal that has such basic item patterns in it available for use when you have gathered the correct resources. Decay, in it's simplest form, needs no number other than a set number of uses for an item. When it breaks you then either repair it if it is indeed repairable, or toss it.

Last edited:
So i was thinking, every item ingame is valued by it's tt price and not by it's actual value (which, according to the economics theory, is valued by the offer and demand curve of said item).

So, imagine EU without any tt's, anarchy? No, you'd simply see some items increasing in price and others decreasing, MindArk would be able to increase the loot rate of stuff simply because the players wouldn't have the chance of selling to them.

That means MA would only have profit (from repairs, ammo, probes, etc) and no losses (that right now should mostly come from tting items, which most players still do).

This, in my opinion, would create a better economy, where the value of stuff would be based on how much a player spent to get them, and how much other players want them.

Now you think "well if everyone profits where do the ped come from"?

Not everyone would profit ofc, people would still need to deposit in order to buy most things, like a fancier gun or to get more ores to craft, etc.

Thoughts?
Funny, I was just thinking about something similar. I was comparing medical tools and thinking to myself, "Numbers are so important. What would happen if we didn't have easy access to them? What value would items have?"

The answer to that question is hard. But I do know that items often are overpriced and/or underpriced. I've seen it myself and been able to back it up with real numbers. BUT I could have missed something beyond the numbers. For example, maybe there's a weapon in a particular skill at high levels that's very good and thus players are willing to spend the higher MU for a lower level weapon in that skill? I don't know. I only know that items can be overpriced/underpriced in such a way that it's not reflective of the numbers (decay/etc).

What would happen if there was no TTing?

I'll try to piece together things in my mind before even attempting to understand what you're asking.

Few points:
1) TTing just converts an item to its ped value, it does not directly give MA anything
2) MA only gains indirectly from decay (when your peds run low, you deposit!)

On to TTing...

When you TT you're converting your item to a ped amount that MA has previously determined they'll give you for it. If they give you too much then your peds will never run low and you'll never deposit again nor have much need for selling to other players (except in some cases). If they give you too little then you may feel held back or stuck, unable to find other players to buy your items. That might result in you quitting rather than depositing again. Thus, their goal is to give you just enough to keep you feeling like you're progressing and have a chance to profit.

No TTing...

If there was no TTing then we would be reliant on selling to other players. There would be no safety net. No quick exit. A lot of players wouldn't like this unless there was an easy way to sell your items to other players. Trading is a way to make money in EU not because it's fun but because it's not. It's a lot like sweating in that sense. Forcing players to sell to other players is taking a big risk unless you have an extensive system to make it quick and convenient for the masses.

What happens when players deem an item worthless?

Right now, if an item has little value to other players then players will just TT it and take what MA gives them. What would happen if that was not an option? Well, that item would probably sit in storage or get deleted or sold slowly in response to a sluggish demand. Some players would keep these items, hoping that MA would find a use for them. So storage would probably become more important to players as a result of all this.

What would this mean for MA? It would mean that they spent time creating a model and textures and a set of configuration data for an item that's not fueling the economy. An item that's not fueling the economy means that players aren't buying or selling in response to it at adequate levels. This might mean less deposits because peds aren't being cycled through the system. Put another way, if a player has assets that're not selling then they may feel that they're up against a wall they cannot climb. What's a business that has a bunch of assets that're not selling? Can a business like that keep its confidence high? It might also mean a need for more server assets to accommodate larger storage spaces. Maybe I am wrong, but I would think MA would want to avoid items being worthless. So maybe this would encourage MA to ensure the value of an item?

What happens if players deem an item invaluable?

Well, it doesn't get TT'd. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that players are buying and selling and that peds are recycled into the system, plus decay. TTing is just one method to do that! So if an item is very valuable then players will seek it and there will be many transactions involving this item wherever they come across it. To the company, this item is a good thing because it fuels the economy. An economy that's fueled means decay which means deposits and income for MA. To players, it's something to shoot for and thus a compliment.

If there're too many invaluable items then this forces all of those players to trade with other players. This is similar to what happens if there is no TTing. Some players are just not meant to be traders (it's a job, it's not fun!) and of course you need a good system built-in that makes it a beareable process. But more important, if there're a lot of invaluable items then this will drive down the MU, inevitably leading to these invaluable items being common and no longer invaluable. And if lots of players were using these weapons/items then there'd be excess loot in response, driving down MU on other items and reducing their profit margin. Thusly, in time, lots of players would simply TT them and move on with their lives as new items emerge.

How does MA fit into all of this?

First, I'm going over some of hte things I've said:
1) I think TTing could be a form of insurance against items being potentially worthless to players. It establishes that a bunk item will get converted to ped and then recycled through the system again, plus decay.
2) TTing is a method to avoid having to make -everyone- trade with other players.
3) Invaluable items are good for the economy, but too many inevitably drives down the value to nothing

MA just wants to be able to fund all of this and make an income. Right now we know that they and their asset partners make money from deposits. I'm not willing to go any further than that since I do not feel I have enough information to do that. All I can say is that recycled peds are good for them because that means decay. And decay means players eventually are encouraged to deposit again which keeps the in-game economy running smoothly.

I'm not an economics major. I have no true idea whether or not PEDS are backed by real money somewhere (like a bank). If so, then MA could feasibly make money just by grabbing PEDs in-game through various means. In that scenario, MA would be both the company and a player. I do not like that scenario because having to play against other players is bad enough, but having to play against someone that knows EVERYTHING about the game is in a league of its own far removed from fair competition.

In conclusion...

Finally, my opinion about EU is that there's a pot. Everyone who plays puts money into the pot. There might even be some loans thrown in there by MA to kick start things. Anyway, there's a finite amount in it. This pot represents the total PEDs in the game world. We're all fighting over these PEDs. The end result is that only so many of us can profit while the rest will lose. There is no circumstance where everyone profits unless there's an input without an output. The moaning and complaining is normal. This is a roman arena, baby!

That's the difference between EU and a game. In a game everyone wins. There's no conservation of energy in a game. Money can be made from nothing by changing a variable. In EU, however, there is. This is because the economy is based on real money. Since it's based on real money then that means it's finite. This automatically means not everyone can win. And whne you look at human history you see a lot of greed. So whatever results we get in EU are predictable based on past human behavior/history.

So EU can help uncover human behavior and tendencies. Even games can tell us about human behavior and so forth. But games won't tell us what players do when the money stops flowing from the chest. Games are there for us to have fun and unshackle ourselves. EU tells us what happens when Finity meets Human.

I think this is why EU has a different feeling than a game does. It's bitter-sweet.

Last edited:
The TT issue

There is one area of the economy which is ruined by the TT, and that is any material which would have fallen below 100% on the market. For example, the fact that an item has a near TT value, is evidenced that there is an oversupply, but that instead of the value proceeding below 100%, it is instead cashed in at the TT.

In my opinion, what needs to change is that items with a value close to TT need to slow down on spawning. The loot is causing issues both at the bottom and at the top, at the bottom because everything just gets slammed onto the TT, and at the top, where everything has such high value. I think if we are having pointless items which are just getting TT'ed, then something has to change, because MA would make a tonne more money from the movement of goods on the market.

The TT is end of life for an item, whereas if we can cause the auction to be used more often by spawning less items nobody needs, and a little bit more of the items people will actually use? Well, there you go.

An idea would be that if you are just going to toss items into TT, maybe have hunters organise with a crafter to distribute their items to the crafter and then after the crafter has proceeded to convert the goods, they hand back a small percentage of the profits to those same hunters.

There is one area of the economy which is ruined by the TT, and that is any material which would have fallen below 100% on the market. For example, the fact that an item has a near TT value, is evidenced that there is an oversupply, but that instead of the value proceeding below 100%, it is instead cashed in at the TT.

In my opinion, what needs to change is that items with a value close to TT need to slow down on spawning. The loot is causing issues both at the bottom and at the top, at the bottom because everything just gets slammed onto the TT, and at the top, where everything has such high value. I think if we are having pointless items which are just getting TT'ed, then something has to change, because MA would make a tonne more money from the movement of goods on the market.

The TT is end of life for an item, whereas if we can cause the auction to be used more often by spawning less items nobody needs, and a little bit more of the items people will actually use? Well, there you go.

An idea would be that if you are just going to toss items into TT, maybe have hunters organise with a crafter to distribute their items to the crafter and then after the crafter has proceeded to convert the goods, they hand back a small percentage of the profits to those same hunters.
.....And also ensuring that anybody who needs that item in their profession will have to pay at least TT value plus a trivial amount that the seller asks for.

That's my gut reaction. So on the surface of things it looks like TT is there to stop us from making a profit. They're stepping on the little guy. But that's where this line of thinking for me stops and reverses. Why?

Few points:
1) MA has to make money from this game, and I think it's mostly from deposits and asset partners
2) Supply and demand and the power law curve establish that most players will make meager incomes
3) EU's resources can output no more tnan what players and MA and its partner put into it

Because not everyone can profit in this game! Supply and demand would still cripple us. Income in real life fits a power law curve. This means that a great number of people make meager income while a minor few make hundreds to thousands to millions of times more than them! If EU is or was a truly free economy then most of us would feel like we're one of the meager commoners making a lowly income, if we were looking at it mathematically. Additionally, we all go into EU taking with us our experiences on earth. The thing is, earht's resources are a collection or energies that have fermented and evolved for billions of years. Far as we know, the consumables in this universe go on forever; we're not even close to exhausting them yet. Thus, we all can seem to profit (most of us meagerly). But in EU there's no more consumables that can come out than go in. EU is a decade of resources by a relative few. So right there not everyone can earn more than they put in unless there's an input of money without an output. So going in this we should throw away our expectations about profit. Not all of us can! Math tells us one thing and human irrational thoughts tell us another.

I feel that many of the things people blame as hurting us is just how MA pays for all of it. That does not exclude us from making a profit, though!!! That's the key point. These things are like a tax. They pay for the server costs, the development costs, the marketing, and so on that make all of this possible. Beyond that, it's still essentially a free market where players are battling over resources and influencing or using MU to their advantage. Supply and demand still rules in this circumstance and conveniently blaming MA's funding schemes is missing the point entirely. Put the boogeyman back in its closet until we know for sure.

I suggest to people to stop trying to change what you can't change, look at what you can instead. Stop reacting to things. Start exploiting things. Stop using emotions. Start using math.

Last edited:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :wise:

Mod merc have gone from +250k to +120k

Mod fap were +400k , now not selling even at +300k

Imp fap was +250k , now ppl bid 80-100k for one.

so not sure about the "hodling it markup"

cheers

ermik

This is also a measure how much we trust MA.:wise:

Just get off the gravy train already. If you all wanted to make money you'd be doing that in real life. Even a minimum wage job will get you 100x what you'll get in EU sweating. You all know that but you like to roleplay making an income in EU. And when you don't you complain like it matters but you play like you're there for fun. Where're our priorities? Just be honest with yourself and be smart and enterprising. Throw away the stupidity for a moment. You want the truth? The truth is math rules. Math is god. Conservation of energy is his bible.

Back