EF Rules Discussion

Status
Does anyone know if there are mention of other games in the private soc forums? Do you care if they do mention other games there? So what if its private its still on this forum so therefore should still abide by the rules ;)

Seems to me some need to lighten up! End of the day what does it matter if the rules have/will change and for whatever reason. Life moves on and so should those still feeling hard done by!

Remember EU is dynamic therefore EF must be to :laugh:

Does anyone know if there are mention of other games in the private soc forums? Do you care if they do mention other games there? So what if its private its still on this forum so therefore should still abide by the rules ;)

Seems to me some need to lighten up! End of the day what does it matter if the rules have/will change and for whatever reason. Life moves on and so should those still feeling hard done by!

Remember EU is dynamic therefore EF must be to :laugh:

There is a very big differene between a private forum, where only a small goup can see the posts and where a certain mod has the responsability to apply the rules, and a public profile that belongs TO a mod...

imo we should wait and see what comes to pass. The point about the rule was brought up. Anshe changed the procedure to sign up. 711 posted an explanation of his thoughts. What else can be done? Most of this is still in the planing stage, do we need to beat it to death after all the questions have been answered until the day we know exactly how things will be?
This rule doesn't have any impact on our game play or our lives. Just drop it for now. Were some good points brought up, yes. Asked and answered.
I seem to recall a recent thread about how we treat our new people.
While this discussion is directed toward 711 and the mods, it revolves around Anshe, and now one of her mods?
Its just rude, like arguing with with someone about a third party while they are sitting right next to you.

do we need a disclaimer?
"Welcome to EU, watch your back and every little thing you say, any friendly gestures will be met with scrutiny, sarcasm and a demand for full disclosure of things that your unable to answer. Any attempts to explain yourself will be met with the same requests for an answer repeatedly until someone new joins and we direct our attention toward them..... oh and we have such a wonderful community. have fun and good luck." :)

No i do not think this actually applies 90% of the time. When things change, give them a little time to change.

This thread is for the discussion of forum rules.

None of the last 10 or 12 posts had anything to do with forum rules, but were petty debates over semantics and unrelated topics.

:topic:

I recently posted a reply in a thread, where I included a picture of Sadam Hussein saying STFU.

This was deleted by a moderator using the rule 16.

I fail to see how this was a politically motivated post? Would the same have happened if the pic was of arnie schwazeneger, or the pope or the queen of england?

I think not

Indeed, one member has an avatar using an image of the pope to say 'go away noob'

My reply was in no way religious, ploitical or had anything to do with rule 16.

It is this sort of heavy handed moderating that caused the furour regarding rule 15 and Anche Chung.

Can I suggest a little more thought in the moderation process please.

If this is the wrong place to post this, can someone PM it to JimmyB. He was the moderator that felt my post was 'political' ffs.

I can inform you that the post was acctually reported by some of our forum members.
JimmyB saw the request for moderation and handled it.
When the users react, we as moderators react. I would suspect that is what the forum users wants us to do.

Sorry I cant reply much longer, Im omw to logging off :)

Thanks Skam.

I recently posted a reply in a thread, where I included a picture of Sadam Hussein saying STFU.

This was deleted by a moderator using the rule 16.

I fail to see how this was a politically motivated post? Would the same have happened if the pic was of arnie schwazeneger, or the pope or the queen of england?

I think not

Indeed, one member has an avatar using an image of the pope to say 'go away noob'

My reply was in no way religious, ploitical or had anything to do with rule 16.

Can I suggest a little more thought in the moderation process please.

Nutter, I'm aware the post wasn't necessarily intended as a politically motivated one. As Skam pointed out, it was reported by a user. I nearly chose to leave it, but I decided to remove it as:

(i) It could have led to off-topic discussion against Rule #16
(ii) It was debatably against Rule #16
(iii) The image wasn't really adding anything to the post (imo)

I appreciate its a judgement call, and people will be offended when they fall foul of one. It certainly wasn't a major issue, but I just felt in this case the right thing to do was to remove the image. There's a fine line on these matters, particularly when there's humour involved. I decided in this case that Saddam saying "STFU" had crossed the line regarding Rule #16, where (seeing as you brought it up) the pope saying "Go Away Noob!" doesn't.

No offence was intended, but it was a considered decision.

It is this sort of heavy handed moderating that caused the furour regarding rule 15 and Anche Chung.

That's not a particularly fair comparison. Rule #16 by its very nature generally requires some judgement. Rule #15, as it is currently written, is pretty clear-cut.

Last edited:
Trying not to remember the rule-15 discussion for a minute:

Is there any possibility to add an option to report the signature/avatar picture of a user? Often they are clearly out of line, or just plain too damn big(the signatures that is).

Or should we just use the report button as usual to "tell" on the avatar/signature/something else upsetting that's not related to the written post instead? :confused:

This question was asked of me quite often as a Mod (your question Konve), and I just suggested that the "report button" be used. Same thing I do now when something is outta wack according to the forum rules, especially signatures. There is a very specific rule with regard to signatures, and there are many who just don't pay attention to it, SO ... if you find a signature not adhering to the rules, or is offensive, then please do report it.

Rule # 31
Signatures: Text used in your signature may not be too long and not use characters larger than “SIZE=3” and only contain 5 lines of text. Please limit graphical signatures to 500x120 pixels. One 500x120 pixel image and ONE line of text is acceptable, but not an image along with a large amount of text. Please keep your signature as small as possible, since large signatures clutter the forum and cause unnecessary amounts of scrolling. Signatures are only shown ONCE per page, per member.

Thanks!

*It's so hard SOMEtimes not to revert back to Mod Mode*

There is a "reason" field where a moderator can add why he deleted a post - is this always supposed to be filled, and if so then is the moderator supposed to refer to a forum rule as reason - or just any reason? :confused:

There is a "reason" field where a moderator can add why he deleted a post - is this always supposed to be filled, and if so then is the moderator supposed to refer to a forum rule as reason - or just any reason? :confused:

Moderators are instructed to reference the applicable forum rule whenever editing or deleting a post.

When a post is edited, the deleted part is usually shown within curly braces in the original post:

{DELETED}

and a comment is shown below the post with the Moderator's name and the citation of the relevant forum rule which caused the edit, which looks like this:

Last edited by 711 : Rule #17

For deleted posts, the original post is collapsed (post content not visible to members, but still holds its position within the thread).

The comment looks like this:

This message has been deleted by 711. Reason: Rule #17

All of the moderators are very good about adding these comments when moderating the forum.

Last edited:
True, but there are others on the forum who would prefer not to discuss those other games. The desire for a change to Rule #15 is far from being unanimous forum-wide.

Whereas if there is a business venture crossing two different platforms, how can we not change the rule?

Simple, this is either an EU forum or it's not.

Maybe it's completly impossible to handle, but I really want some change
when refering to another game or similar.
F.ex, we now know that CryENGINE2 can handle a MMO or MMVW, so if I
do suggestions about what it can do, I must refer to other games, impossible
as it is now.
Same with features in other games, it's hard to do so others understand,
if we can't refer to other games.

The problem thou', it's so easy for people to add a note that makes EU
look bad, and not working and so on.
So when refering to something else, it must be pure technical, and not
rating EU against the refering game.
So, yeah, I do want this changed, but maybe it is impossible to handle...:rolleyes:

Rule # 18
Any threads or posts about leaving EntropiaUniverse, such as “I’m Quitting” or "I've Had Enough" or “Taking a Break”, whether for positive or negative reasons, WILL BE DELETED. This includes any individual posts where comments are made in other threads as well. This rule also applies to sales threads. If you are leaving EntropiaUniverse and are selling your items, do not include comments in your sales thread that indicate that you are “quitting” or “taking a break.” Members who are curious as to the intention of the poster can inquire through PM or within EntropiaUniverse, and should not ask within the sales thread.

I was just wanting to know if this rule allows any leeway. I don't mind PM responses from mods just so we don't get a rush just in case.

I would love to post here more really, but I got banned already for sharing my thoughts...and I dont know how to describe Dictatorship in other words really :) Outsch, free flight to the revive now (as Belza loves to say lol)???

EF has a monopoly when it comes to information. Especially because there are plenty of MA staff on board too. So I can understand that other games are not welcome to be discussed here. Not saying 711 gets money for running this service...but what do we know :)

To all that share opinions here...bring lots of money and rules will be changed. Nothing more to say :)

@711: feel free to ban me again for sharing my thoughts which are not following your close minded ideas of free speech.

cheers
MM

Well, my oppinion is that, if we can refer to the game that made such a fuss, we should be able to do that with ANY game. If not, then I would rather have it the old way. Just my humble opinion ...

Well, my oppinion is that, if we can refer to the game that made such a fuss, we should be able to do that with ANY game. If not, then I would rather have it the old way. Just my humble opinion ...

Discussion of Second Life is allowed only insofar as it relates to EntropiaUniverse (such as cross-platform trade, etc.). Notice that there are no threads with primers, tutorials or discussion of Second Life, nor any threads comparing the merits of the two universes.

Remember that this is EntropiaForum, and the primary purpose of this website is, and will remain, discussion of EntropiaUniverse.

The rules have not been "changed" or ignored for Anshe, or anyone else. Please show one example of a thread created by Anshe or one of the ACS forum mods with the intention of discussing SL. You cannot, because none exist. By contrast, many threads and posts made by EF members have been removed by me and the other EF mods from the ACS sponsored forum because of violation of Rule #15. If anyone is "bending the rules" here, it is the "old school" members of EF, not Anshe or her staff.

Discussion of Second Life is allowed only insofar as it relates to EntropiaUniverse (such as cross-platform trade, etc.). Notice that there are no threads with primers, tutorials or discussion of Second Life, nor any threads comparing the merits of the two universes.

Remember that this is EntropiaForum, and the primary purpose of this website is, and will remain, discussion of EntropiaUniverse.

The rules have not been "changed" or ignored for Anshe, or anyone else. Please show one example of a thread created by Anshe or one of the ACS forum mods with the intention of discussing SL. You cannot, because none exist. By contrast, many threads and posts made by EF members have been removed by me and the other EF mods from the ACS sponsored forum because of violation of Rule #15. If anyone is "bending the rules" here, it is the "old school" members of EF, not Anshe or her staff.

Ahh, I understand now. I, at one point, gave an example of a mod from the ACS sponsored forum that mentioned "Second Life and EU" as some sort of ... (well I dont want to say it really) in her profile. How will that be viewed?
Just curious to know because it was a matter that I brought in discussion and didnt get an answer for it yet.

You know what, I think you should really amend that Rule 15 of yours cos the more you try to defend it the more silly this whole discussion becomes. Arguing that it;s the old members who break rule no 15 is plain bs. Anshe was the first to ever post the name of this other game in here and the post did not get deleted and as per your rule no 15 "Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or game websites other than EntropiaUniverse is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. ". I really respect you for running this forum mate but you should just come to terms with yourself and acknowledge a change of Rules or Policy be it for whatever reason instead of trying to justifying something which is bluntly obviously wrong... Instead of arguing around the rule, just change it, you have the power to do so, discussion finished. The only person bending the rules here is you Neomaven...

I'm not flaming you but I am the kind of person who sticks up for something when I believe in it and I believe that this is wrong... so don't take it personally.

Last edited:
You know what, I think you should really amend that Rule 15 of yours cos the more you try to defend it the more silly this whole discussion becomes. Arguing that it;s the old members who break rule no 15 is plain bs. Anshe was the first to ever post the name of this other game in here and the post did not get deleted and as per your rule no 15 "Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or game websites other than EntropiaUniverse is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. ". I really respect you for running this forum mate but you should just come to terms with yourself and acknowledge a change of Rules or Policy be it for whatever reason instead of trying to justifying something which is bluntly obviously wrong... Instead of arguing around the rule, just change it, you have the power to do so, discussion finished. The only person bending the rules here is you Neomaven...

I'm not flaming you but I am the kind of person who sticks up for something when I believe in it and I believe that this is wrong... so don't take it personally.

Totally agree. The rules are there for 711 to make, I respect that even if I don't like some of them. Pretending that the position on this hasn't changed or been bent though is getting into clarification of clarification territory ;)

Everyone who has been here a while knows we weren't allowed to mentioned the name of that game, even in discussions that had a direct bearing or relevance to EU. At one point you couldn't even use an avatar image from SL. So just be honest - things have changed, new opportunities have appeared and the rule was pretty fooked up in the first place :D

I don't think anybody wants this forum to degenerate into discussion of the pros and cons of various other games but some tolerance when the discussion is related to EU would be a good thing in my opinion. If I remember correctly many of the posts that were moderated in the past because of this rule were favouring EU in the comparisons.

So how about this...?
Rather than stating "STRICTLY PROHIBITED" the rule says something more like "maybe be subject to moderation if they are not presented in a manner consistent with the aims of this forum". (Assuming ofc that the aims of this forum include healthy debate about all things relating to EU)

Interesting how strict it was before. I think RidingDirty points it out best here.

Interesting how strict it was before. I think RidingDirty points it out best here.

Joser this is not the point. I don't want to live by a rule which depends upon the curtesy of the mod deciding if my post is allowed to stay or not ... I have seen ennough consoring for mentioning other games names. Besides, it's no good to bring up posts which the mods have irgnored or not found at all. No mod in the world can read every post... In any case. What I am saying is that it would make much more sense to change the damn rule than to Bend it here and there... If things change in the "dynamic" world of EU then it's forums should adapt to it as well... Besides I don;t really see what the problem is here. Just change the damn rule and make it clear for everybody. It's bluntly obvious that as it stands mentioning another game is not allowed!

To some extent, I have to agree with Ajack and also Demoniac. 711 should just change the rules as he sees fit to accommodate the new developments. I'm sure most people will understand that Anshe is almost synonymous with SL and it is nearly impossible to keep the name of the other game out of any conversation about her or her business.

The distinction has to be made between that special case and allowing any and all other games to be discussed here in EF.

I personally do not want EF to become flooded with discussion about all the other games on the market, with all the inevitable comparisons and "our game is better than yours" flame wars that will come with it. I like EF the way it is, including the rules.

Cheers :beerchug:

You have no point there, really... RD simply made a search and found some posts that passed through.... the moderators and admins didnt see them, as simple as that. But RD, when he made that search, couldnt find ANY of the DELETED posts that included that name in the past simply because they were deleted... dooh...

Hi,

in my opinion this rule is simply stupid:
"Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or game websites other than EntropiaUniverse is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. "

C'mon, are we little children that are told "You shall not use that bad ***-word, otherwise prepare to receive a spanking!"? For sure, this is an EU forum. But I know a lot of forums for other games (naming these games could yield me a ban, imagine!) where there are sub-forums called "Other games" or similar, where the participants even are able to discuss the qualities (or lacks) of these - and these forums are working well!

I understand that it's not wanted to have links that could lead participants to competitors, so links to other EU forums prohibited would be acceptable for me.

I understand, too, that it's not theme of this forum to compare games - so I'd accept that direct comparisons would be prohibited (at least outside of an "Other games" sub-forum).

But simply prohibiting any mentioning of other games is plainly silly! There's more then EU out there, and just forbidding any word mentioning it will not make it disappear - it just produces a bad feeling of being censored and a bad feeling towards this forum.

Adding the fact that it seems not to be a problem to even give Anshe (that clearly stands as a synonym for "this other game") an own sub-forum where above mentioned rule seems not to apply gives an even more bitter taste.

711, it's not only about:
Discussion of Second Life

It's about that: Would you really act according to your rules, you'd need to ban yourself and delete your post. For sure, only if there were equal rights to all forum participants ...

"Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or game websites other than EntropiaUniverse is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. "

Will I be banned now because I quoted the forum owner? According to your rule, for sure. Will you ban yourself? Will Anshe or their minions be banned?

No?

Why? We all clearly offended above quoted rule.

You see the madness?

Have fun!

PS: I hope to evade the ban because I really strived to accomplish with above quoted rule - I just could not resist quoting the forum owner giving reason to ban itself.

You have no point there, really... RD simply made a search and found some posts that passed through.... the moderators and admins didnt see them, as simple as that. But RD, when he made that search, couldnt find ANY of the DELETED posts that included that name in the past simply because they were deleted... dooh...

Thanks for dismissing my OPINION so easily. I don't need your stamp of approval to make it have any validity for me.

As for not having a point, RD even stated that he just put the first few threads down of multiple pages of search hits. How does that make me not have a point?

Status
Back