Email Scam - Beware!

sunjewel

Alpha
Currently - NE Alabama --- Previously FL, MI, KY,
Society
Universal Uprising
Sunjewel Jewels Maystorm
Just checked one of my secondary email accounts and got this!
Support case sent to Mindark

Beware . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Entropia Client #81951 There is a ip conflict on your account.‏
Sent: Sat 3/08/08 4:19 AM
To: blanked this out LOL

Dear Entropia client, we've noticed there has been an ip conflict with your account and we need to take measures as soon as possible. It seems as someone else is trying to gain access to your avatar, so please follow instructions to make your account safe.

1. Scan or check your computer for any kind of spyware or keyloggers.
2. Make sure all of your items or skills have not been taken.
3. Email your username and password to mindark.support@gmail.com as soon as possible using the subject as 81951.

good that you said it =) hope this helps someone atleast! :)

+rep

all you need is common sense...

This must be the dumbest phishing attempt I have even seen. :laugh: It's wrong in so many ways. See red and comments

Just checked one of my secondary email accounts and got this!
Support case sent to Mindark

Beware . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Entropia Client #81951 (Would be at least 3 or 4 year old player) There is a ip conflict on your account.‏ (Just not possible, IP conflicts on your account ???)
From: Mindark Support (mindark.support@gmail.com) (Dead givaway it's a fake)
Sent: Sat 3/08/08 4:19 AM (MA support don't work night shifts)
To: blanked this out LOL

Dear Entropia client, we've noticed there has been an ip conflict with your account and we need to take measures as soon as possible. It seems as someone else is trying to gain access to your avatar, so please follow instructions to make your account safe. (Even IF you could spoof someone's IP address, it has nothing to do with the accoutn information)

1. Scan or check your computer for any kind of spyware or keyloggers.
2. Make sure all of your items or skills have not been taken. (MA support could see that themselves)
3. Email your username and password to mindark.support[COLOR="Red"]@gmail.com[/COLOR] (Again for obvious reasons) as soon as possible using the subject as 81951.

common sense is not always used . . .

plus i just wanted to make sure all were aware!

better to be warned than to be caught unaware

thank you for the +rep

jewels

;>

Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately not everyone pays complete attention to things such as the email address, or understand that an IP conflict would most likelt not be an attempt at hacking your account.

There is one born every minute, but hopefully none of them fall for this lamers attempt at stealing accounts.

Zar

Reply with a nice attachment... :vampire:
A nice trojan or something will do... :wtg:

Just got the same e-mail - was coming on here to report it myself, glad to see that you got there first Jewels.

Edit -----> Hmmm, 2 SCTC members with the same e-mail.... Link being the society website I think....

Bob

Edit -----> Hmmm, 2 SCTC members with the same e-mail.... Link being the society website I think....

Interesting coincidence you point out there Bobby. Are your email addresses available to anyone on your society web site? Might want to address that as a big spam magnet if it is. If not, whoever is managing it may want to make sure it has not been compromised!

Good luck

I've just been on our Soc website and there appear to be a few of us that have had the mail. I'd be very interested to know if there is anybody out there outside the Soc who has had the same e-mail????

I've just been on our Soc website and there appear to be a few of us that have had the mail. I'd be very interested to know if there is anybody out there outside the Soc who has had the same e-mail????

Good luck with that. I've not had the message and neither have any other of my socs mates as far as I know.

Have you had any recent new members?

We've got several new members - I've just checked out some of the people on our website and it appears to have gone to the ones that have open e-mail addresses so it's probably just a problem for SCTC at the moment.

Will let people know the outcome on here.

Bob

Web Site Procedure

Site was originally set up for the few members that we had but we have grown so fast (top 5 member wise and active folks at that) that folks we do not know have joined soc and may be "bad" (I have a suspicion over a kicked member, thief) and as such have changed verification to manual. Meaning that I will personally verify all applicants to the web site. More work for me but anything to keep idiots from hurting our members (or trying to!).:mad:

Fortunatley we have been very proactive about alerting each other (good group I must admit)...pity 1 bad apple/scammer tries to rip off folks. Kinda like the I'll be your mentor and never see you again scam (don't get me started!)

2. Make sure all of your items or skills have not been taken. (MA support could see that themselves)

Actually the correct one would be... (MA support doesnt give a shit if your items and skills have been taken, they hardly do somethign when you send them support cases, what makes you think they would actually act even before that? :D

Anyway.. indeed its commom sense, but newer players could fall into this.. so +rep for the warning

Also some very good posts in this thread =))

Back