Entropedia looking for a new host.

Witte

Marauder
Society
Delta Force Elite
Vlugge Witte Harrie
Since I am having too many issues with my current host (which they cant seem to fix), I am planning to switch to a different host. I have been looking around a bit, but I am not realy sure what to do. The host I currently have an eye on is http://trustywebhosting.com/winsharedhost.php. The host has to meet the following requirements:

ASP.NET 2
MySQL (500MB)
Python
50GB/Month (preferably more)
~10USD/Month

If you have a recommendation that meets these requirements, I would be happy to hear about it.

I recommend TrustyWebHosting, Inc. for you

Witte,

I am already a customer of trustywebhosting.com I use winStarter my site is oupps.com and I am very satisfied with them their features can meet your requirments actually you are asking 500MB for MySQL but their don't limit MySQL because the storage will be consumed from your allocated account quota, as for the BW it is unmetered and not only 50GB/m, regarding the price it is only $4.99/month...

So I think everything you are asking for is met with TrustyWebHosting, to be honest I have faced a lot of problems with my previous hosts and I was migrating from a host to another until I found this company and I wished i found it earlier to avoid all the hassle i passed through and since then I wanted to support them as they are supporting us in a great way, so it is a little appreciation as you can see I am not even sending you an affiliate link, all what I am trying to do is trying to say thank you TrustyWebHosting...

Regards,

Fadi

Since I am having too many issues with my current host (which they cant seem to fix), I am planning to switch to a different host. I have been looking around a bit, but I am not realy sure what to do. The host I currently have an eye on is http://trustywebhosting.com/winsharedhost.php. The host has to meet the following requirements:

ASP.NET 2
MySQL (500MB)
Python
~10USD/Month

If you have a recommendation that meets these requirements, I would be happy to hear about it.

How does,
ASP.NET 2
MySQL (unlimited/100GB)
Python
100GB/Unlimited
Free

...sound.

As I told you in pm.

Witte,

I am already a customer of trustywebhosting.com I use winStarter my site is oupps.com and I am very satisfied with them their features can meet your requirments actually you are asking 500MB for MySQL but their don't limit MySQL because the storage will be consumed from your allocated account quota, as for the BW it is unmetered and not only 50GB/m, regarding the price it is only $4.99/month...

So I think everything you are asking for is met with TrustyWebHosting, to be honest I have faced a lot of problems with my previous hosts and I was migrating from a host to another until I found this company and I wished i found it earlier to avoid all the hassle i passed through and since then I wanted to support them as they are supporting us in a great way, so it is a little appreciation as you can see I am not even sending you an affiliate link, all what I am trying to do is trying to say thank you TrustyWebHosting...

Regards,

Fadi

With just one post on the forum, and nothing but good words, one would almost think you work for Trusty :laugh:. Still thanks for the recommendation

Check these out, i only heard good stuff about them.
http://www.hostgator.com/

The link doesnt work :scratch2:

How does,
ASP.NET 2
MySQL (unlimited/100GB)
Python
100GB/Unlimited
Free

...sound.

As I told you in pm.

That sounds great ;). But I looked through those webhotel plans but I could not find a suitable plan for less then 3000USD/month :eek:. Can you provide me a link to the plan you are talking about?

That sounds great ;). But I looked through those webhotel plans but I could not find a suitable plan for less then 3000USD/month :eek:. Can you provide me a link to the plan you are talking about?

I was thinking more like 500NOK/month... since webhotel or dedicated servers cost 10% of the price in US.
And with better backbone/routing to the rest of planet.

I was thinking more like 500NOK/month... since webhotel or dedicated servers cost 10% of the price in US.
And with better backbone/routing to the rest of planet.

If you can provide a link to their offers, I can check it out.

Check out http://www.jaguarpc.com/. Been with them for years. They consistently upgrade their services (I started with 10Gb bw month.. now 210 for the same price lol) and support is super fast on the rare occasion I've needed it. I'm not sure of asp.net 2 support though, as it's not something I use but they do have asp listed.

Last edited:
With just one post on the forum, and nothing but good words, one would almost think you work for Trusty :laugh:. Still thanks for the recommendation

The link doesnt work :scratch2:

Bah :p try https://secure.hostgator.com

Hi,
I would recommend Hostgator (http://www.hostgator.com/) too however I am not sure they have shared plans on windows systems yet and it looks like you need a windows server thanks to ASP.NET :/

One thing you might need to be careful of with a shared plan is how much processor time your site uses. Since it is database heavy (the entire site is one huge DB from the looks of it) that puts a lot of load on the system and if it uses too much some hosts might simply boot you off/shut down the site/cause problems :(

Bye,
Deathifier

ASP.NET 2
MySQL (500MB)
Python
~10USD/Month

http://trustywebhosting.com/winsharedhost.php. The host has to meet the following requirements:

ASP.NET 2
MySQL (500MB)
Python
~10USD/Month

No host can be reliable with such storage & bandwidth specifications.If u want a really good hosting provider which is more up than down then go for>>>> www.godaddy.com

Hi,
I would recommend Hostgator (http://www.hostgator.com/) too however I am not sure they have shared plans on windows systems yet and it looks like you need a windows server thanks to ASP.NET :/

One thing you might need to be careful of with a shared plan is how much processor time your site uses. Since it is database heavy (the entire site is one huge DB from the looks of it) that puts a lot of load on the system and if it uses too much some hosts might simply boot you off/shut down the site/cause problems :(

Bye,
Deathifier

I checked both hostgator and juguar, and both do not offer ASP plans.

About processor usage and database load, I do not realy know how to find this out. It might indeed be the cause of the problem with my current host. However, when I monitor the server healh in MySQL admin, it shows just a load of less then 25 queries/second (not counting the peaks just about 5/second). That doesnt realy seem a lot to me, but still the responsetime of the server is realy bad. Locally these queries finish in times like 0.001 second. Some parts of the database might need optimalisation though. But I lack both the knowledge and time to do this.

No host can be reliable with such storage & bandwidth specifications.If u want a really good hosting provider which is more up than down then go for>>>> www.godaddy.com

erd! Used to have that one and it suuuuuucked miserably. Atleast if your in sweden. The speed their servers have are crap unless your in the US.

just wondereing if you changed host yet? if so the new one suuuucks :p

IMHO your problem is using ASP.
Not much host bother with it , and when they did , its only for dedicated server...
Its more easy for a host (and way cheaper) to use all linux based software...
Using windows is costly, full of bug , many problem , and security issue...

learn php , or what ever other language you like , and you will find cheap good host very easy...

just wondereing if you changed host yet? if so the new one suuuucks :p

Nope fortunatly not ;). I currently do not have broadband internet, so moving the site will have to wait a bit. I currently have an offer from Kimmi and from 711 to host the site, but there arnt any specifics yet. As for shared hosting I found 2 more that seem to meet the specs:

http://www.easycgi.com/
http://www.3shost.com/

Anyone got experience with these hosts?

Not much host bother with it , and when they did , its only for dedicated server...

learn php , or what ever other language you like , and you will find cheap good host very easy...

Yes yes, feel free to rewrite the entire site :silly2:

I use 110mb.com, but I doubt if they offer asp support.

Yes yes, feel free to rewrite the entire site :silly2:

Impossible for me right now , i just have enought time to code for my own little site,and even for that , i miss time.

Maybe in future , during this summer...

i havnt read this thread but.

www.site5.com

I host a huge community off their package and they are fine with it, great speed and uptime.

An organisation I volunteer for in RL use Dreamhost - they are very nice but I'm not sure if they have everything you ask for (since we don't use those things I don't know if they are available but they might be)

Worth a look though especially as you can find discount codes that can get you a literally huge discount in the first year

Wist

I use 110mb.com, but I doubt if they offer asp support.

i havnt read this thread but.

www.site5.com

I host a huge community off their package and they are fine with it, great speed and uptime.

An organisation I volunteer for in RL use Dreamhost - they are very nice but I'm not sure if they have everything you ask for (since we don't use those things I don't know if they are available but they might be)

Worth a look though especially as you can find discount codes that can get you a literally huge discount in the first year

Wist

Undoubtly good hosts but alas, no ASP.

Impossible for me right now , i just have enought time to code for my own little site,and even for that , i miss time.

Maybe in future , during this summer...

Time is my main problem too. I suspect it will take several weeks, especially for less experienced webdevelopers (like myself). Although a new site can be developed in parallel to the existing one, using the same database. My guess is the best choise would be JSP?

Etopia is right, maybe that is of no help tho as it would mean a lot of work changing over...so on with the other solutions.

I have some long time buddies who run web hosting services that maybe able to come up with something (assuming I can catch them online to talk to them). I'll try that.

Have a look here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ , if you can't find some decent advice/help and/or a host there ...it's dedicated to this. Loads of good hosts participate there.

Raise some more funds. We all use it and I think people would support any fund raising ..it's the least we can do. Soon as I get some funds into Paypal (which I don't use much so hasn't any in there ATM) I'll make a start on this that will help. Maybe something more organised and regular would provide longer term funding ..an event of some kind?

t

Yes get some funds in. I dont think many would be annoyed by one simple google add or something like that. And you can (atleast i think) tweak what type of ads you want it to be able to show. Also get a donation link in :)

Should atleast help a bit.

May one ask how many unique hits the site has on average for a day? then we could calculate how much you would be able to make on a day with google adds :)

looked at some pages discussing how much you can make and this is what i found.

I have a friend with a small web site that uses AdSense. On his site he has placed a Google sidebar ad like this. Google provides statistics for his site on a daily basis. Looking at his site's performance between April 1, 2005 and April 21, 2005, here is what we find:
  • On average, his site displays 3,100 sidebar ads per day. We know, by looking at the log file statistics on his site, that he receives about 1,000 unique visitors a day. So each visitor looks at about 3.1 pages each, and that means roughly 3,100 ad impressions per day are displayed on his web site.
  • On average, those 3,100 ad impressions per day generate 60 clicks. With Google AdSense, you get paid only when someone clicks.
  • On average, each one of those clicks generates 15 cents.
  • So, on average, his site is making $9.00 per day.
Another common way to talk about the revenue of his site would be to say that, "He is getting a $2.90 average CPM." CPM translates into "Cost Per Thousand", when the M is the roman numeral for thousand. That means that, for every 1,000 ad impressions he displays, he is receiving $2.90 on average. Between April 1 and April 21 he displayed a total of almost 67,000 ad impressions. So:
  • 67,000 / 1000 x $2.90 = $194
In a typical month, he normally receives about $270 from Google.

Last edited:

I'm not familiar with C# and not much with ASP and the Entropedia code looks like rather a mess to me to have to rewrite. It is possible to run ASP with a LAM(P) stack, though. You use mono and an apache module.

Maybe someone who has more familiarity with wiki software can chime in about the feasibility of starting from a fresh install of mediawiki or some other full-featured wiki project, and adding the needed functionality to that. I have no idea what language mediawiki uses, but maybe a fresh start from the modern wiki platforms would be reasonable. I'm more comfortable with the penguin side of the pond and the non-dot-net alternatives.

Anyway, I'd host it on my office box, but I don't think the school would be too happy with that. :)

Yes get some funds in. I dont think many would be annoyed by one simple google add or something like that. And you can (atleast i think) tweak what type of ads you want it to be able to show. Also get a donation link in :)

Should atleast help a bit.

May one ask how many unique hits the site has on average for a day? then we could calculate how much you would be able to make on a day with google adds :)

looked at some pages discussing how much you can make and this is what i found.

It is about 1000 unique 2000 visits 50000 pages and 300000 hits a day. (although it seems to be declining lately, not surpisingly ;)).

Although, the main issue atm is not the money, but to find a good host. Even if I had 200 dollar a month to spend I would not know what host to pick.

on another note,

I know PHP...

if your looking for a rewrite

Back