Entropia in the Wall Street Journal

Old news I think it's great that you managed to make it dude

But on the other end of the spectrum is everyone els by the looks of things and it is kind of false advertising

If the press were to print stories about summer jobs in entropia I would have thought they'd focus on the expansion and all the new and potentially valuable equipment that will be coming with it.

i'm guessing you were the only guy that fitted the description of what MA & ND were looking for in them threads about college kids paying for their tuition. seeing as we already knew about you i'd then have to guess that you are on your lownsome there

btw just wondering how much would you say % wise earnt you that?

80 % hunting 20 % reselling? Just curious

Gratz on getting in the paper thought and good job man :thumbup:

Last edited:
Gratz DaDa ;)

:shower: Mom

Old news I think it's great that you managed to make it dude

But on the other end of the spectrum is everyone els by the looks of things and it is kind of false advertising

If the press were to print stories about summer jobs in entropia I would have thought they'd focus on the expansion and all the new and potentially valuable equipment that will be coming with it.

i'm guessing you were the only guy that fitted the description of what MA & ND were looking for in them threads about college kids paying for their tuition. seeing as we already knew about you i'd then have to guess that you are on your lownsome there

btw just wondering how much would you say % wise earnt you that?

80 % hunting 20 % reselling? Just curious

Gratz on getting in the paper thought and good job man :thumbup:

Never resell too boring to sit around trading when I can hunt. I buy equipment only to use it then sell it a year later..

So technically all hunting or 80% hunting and 20% from inflation

GO CK!
Grats Da- Very cool stuff

Call me Negative Ned - but the article seems to highlight SL more than EU. They featured 6 SL players to 1 for EU. Plus, the article seemed to feature how the players of SL can create content while the EU player must hustle (trade) for a living.

If I was an investor and I read that article SL would be first on my list.

This must be why we had some people running around looking for students who made money from EU? Well congrats on being in the article :)

Gz Da, gz Andie :) (ffs, I deposited aprox same sum as Da ^^ )

One little thing: the Ortman brothers could really use some sun light.

EU in Wallstreetjournal

My Virtual Summer Job
With summer jobs in short supply, more young people are pursuing money-making opportunities in Web fantasy worlds. Alexandra Alter on the new online workers.
By ALEXANDRA ALTER

While his friends scramble for jobs flipping burgers or bagging groceries this summer, 18-year-old Mike Everest will be working as a trader in the fantasy Web world of Entropia Universe, buying and selling virtual animal skins and weapons. His goods exist only online, but his earnings are real. In the past four years, he's made $35,000.
[illustration]
Ellen Weinstein

Mr. Everest, of Durango, Colo., is among a new breed of young entrepreneurs seeking their fortune online in imaginary worlds. As the pool of traditional summer jobs shrinks, tech-savvy young gamers are honing their computer skills to capitalize on growing demand for virtual goods and services. Some work as fashion designers, architects and real-estate developers in Second Life, a fantasy world populated by digital representations of real people. These so-called avatars shop in malls, buy property, hang out with friends or sit "home" watching TV, all manipulated by their real-life counterparts with computer key strokes and a mouse.

In the real world, summer jobs are in short supply. Only about a third of teenagers are expected to work this summer, the lowest levels in 60 years, according to the Center for Labor Market Studies at Northeastern University. Summer youth employment has fallen from about 45% of teens in 2000, a downward trend made worse this year by the faltering economy.

But money-making opportunities in virtual worlds have grown as such sites go mainstream. Research firm Gartner Media estimates that by 2011, 80% of Internet users worldwide will have an avatar, making animated online personas as common as screen names. Such companies as IBM and Adidas have moved into Second Life, helping to drive employment.
[Go to interactive graphic]
A look at seven young and successful virtual-world entrepreneurs

Entropia Universe boasts 722,000 players and allows money earned online to be withdrawn from brick-and-mortar banks with an Entropia ATM card. On a typical day, Second Life players spend close to $1.5 million on virtual clothes, jewelry, homes, cars and real estate. The site's roughly 1.2 million active players use their credit cards to purchase Second Life currency called Lindens, which are pegged to the dollar at about 270 Lindens to $1. Virtual merchants can convert their profits into dollars through a money exchange run by Linden Lab, the company that operates Second Life. Linden Lab pays out proceeds with real-life checks or through PayPal accounts.

"It's an incredible environment for young entrepreneurs," says Claudia L'Amoreaux, of Linden Lab. "The ones who are really successful at it are beginning to make that their main work."

Original link here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121088619095596515.html

I cant belive it!

Last edited:
u just had to be in the beta / long time ago pe ; loot a mod fap or some shadow angel ; if u're lucky and u got your 35k

Then srry for this and i have 1 more:)

Ty

LOL! He's gonna get rich making $8750 a year. :ahh:

already posted a whle ago too be the men on the picture :laugh:
but keep comming maybe u'll got one soon or maybe just take all EU article in one thread :wtg:

Geeez, my view on journalists is slowly changing...
All the reports I've seen so far, has been so crappy (some just plain wrong), that it's embarrassing.

But I guess all the crappy journalists get this kind of assignments, while the good ones write about more main stream things.
'Cause there MUST be good journalists too... Right? :scratch2:

WEEEEEEEEE, very nice da!!! lets hope the irs doesnt read the wsj lol

Last edited:
WEEEEEEEEE, very nice da!!! lets hope the irs doesnt read the wsj lol

naah, they are probably too busy reading "National Enquierer": Britney got a new peircing!!!:eek:

:silly2:

very cool stuff!
:yay:

Back