Entropia Universe Portal Site

Ahhhhhh-choooooo...

Same ol deployment model, subscriber-based quality control. :ahh:

Was this new site release a bit hurried MA?

Yay, generic business people on the front page! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but this looks like one of those adverts about some "IT-solution" where good looking people are dressed up in suits while pretending to be excited by the latest IBM product...

Why not change the font in the EU logo to Times new roman while you're at it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
beware its all forward looking , nothing is correct unless historically fact , consequently it tells you what they want to happen in there MAs perfect world
:scratch2:

Maybe i'm a luddite, but i thought one of the cardinal rules of web design was to relegate proprietary gimmicks like the latest Flash to peripheral, inessential parts of the page--not the entirety of it.

Not gonna update to the latest Flash to see it, sorry.

no problem with you ideas. i agree with you and i am no luddite :)

i made a wishlist post about the same thing like a year ago. (will find it when not on such a shitty connection) i think even marco answered and stated that they would be making a less resource intense site. i had made the mention that i wanted to see my inventory on a less capable browser.

Huh? :confused: Right now to me is simply a page that screams: "Oh look, we look like yet another generic IT solution with people pretending to be happy, and we can do parners too! :D Oh, and there's the old boring game thingy of us over there. BUT YOU WANT TO BE A PARTNER, RIIIIIIIIGHT? :D"

Hi,

the formerly subterranean EU website has gone even more subterranean!

I'd vote for to beam the "web designer" to PvP4 (after filling him with loads of stackables & giving me time & coords ...), as fast as possible.

I don't want to:
  1. be asked to upgrade my flash player when I have disabled it
  2. be forced to enable my flash player when I want to enter a site where security is necessary 'cause I'm to type user name/ password
  3. not to see the menu unless in noob mode (fullscreen)
  4. solve riddles where I have to click to get the flashy animation that provides the link I'm searching
  5. wait quite some time until all this junk has loaded

Have fun!

If this is the direction EU is going... well... I don't like it that much. As others pointed out MA should get the hang of web design: content is the KEY!
Flash is nice , for certain purposes but you need moderation in using it; oh... and BTW... that's why it's called Flash: it's flashy!!! :laugh:

On the other hand, I agree with Bertha: it looks like the web site and the game go/will go hand in hand: resource intensive, not much real content, and focus on "cosmetics" rather than more important things. Well done from this point of view.

Maybe i'm a luddite, but i thought one of the cardinal rules of web design was to relegate proprietary gimmicks like the latest Flash to peripheral, inessential parts of the page--not the entirety of it.

Not gonna update to the latest Flash to see it, sorry.

True, but coming from a company that's about to upgrade to CE2 which a lot of users won't be able to run properly if at all for no real reason....it figures.

Confusing site even if it does look nice, imagine being a n00b landing there now and what they will see or be able to find? My buddy gave up, one new player they won't have because he couldn't find the game download fast enough.

t

whos the gangsta dude with the laptop? lol

why does it have to be a "gangsta" dude i am curious to how you came to this conclusion

True, but coming from a company that's about to upgrade to CE2 which a lot of users won't be able to run properly if at all for no real reason....it figures.

I have to disagree that those are analogous. Computer games, like it or not, are a good fraction "bling" these days if they want to appeal to a wide audience. The webpage is merely the means of delivery and communication, and should be utilitarian first, fancy second.

I really don't get the uproar over the CE2 transition. Maybe, if they had actually finished it summer '08, it could have been a problem, but anyone who can afford a computer and a deposit in EU can afford a card that can handle CE2 by Spring '09. That price point has fallen below $100 already.

I really don't get the uproar over the CE2 transition. Maybe, if they had actually finished it summer '08, it could have been a problem, but anyone who can afford a computer and a deposit in EU can afford a card that can handle CE2 by Spring '09. That price point has fallen below $100 already.

Though some of us need to buy a whole new PC.

Though some of us need to buy a whole new PC.

Maybe, but if so you're probably not really getting stellar performance now, either. :laugh: All i'm saying is that i think two years behind the cutting edge is acceptable for system requirements of a mass-appeal MMORPG, walking a line between obsolescence and exclusion.

Maybe, but if so you're probably not really getting stellar performance now, either. :laugh:

This is true, especially since my graphics card fried yesterday and I've been reduced to using an even older one :rolleyes:

My plan to hold off till January before buying a PC is looking sketchy :laugh:

Hi,
I really don't get the uproar over the CE2 transition.
with all due respect, Doer, I disagree.

Check this other MMPORPG that meanwhile dominates the market. It delivers comparable inferior graphics, but shines in matters of game play, depth, crazy ideas everywhere, and fun. And constant content improvements.

It's not cheap, and the graphics actually are ways beyond competition. Why this success then? Maybe because it comes ready to run on Joe Sixpacks old machine? Maybe because it has a Mac client, too? Maybe because it's hardware requirements are this low that Caroline Penguin is able to run it on her linux box, too, virtualized?

I guess we (and MA) should realize that not all of the hardcore EU participants are hardcore gamers. For MA it might be too late ...

I'm such, and I'll not have any problems - I'll just get me a new CPU and a new graphics card when it will be released, my spouse (not in EU) will be happy to heir such improvement - her XoX experience will double!

But the entering hurdle for EU will rise, and quite a lot I fear. I cannot judge more but of my experiences with Crysis - my machine, now easily capable of running EU as XoX at max. eye candy just managed to give lowest detail, small resolution experience of Crysis - not really fun, believe me.

And CE2 is hard bound to Windows, and DirectX. Coming versions promise to want DX 10, or a XBox - I'll be out then. No Mac client possible, no Linux client possible - it's IMHO a complete aimed shot into MA's leg.

There had been a lot of other games engines available, by far more suited to MA's needs, by far more of use for the participants, but blatantly the marketing at MA has won over the developers. Sadly.

Have fun!

Hi,

with all due respect, Doer, I disagree.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/off-topic/128430-most-annoying-cliche-movie-phrase.html

:rofl:

Sorry, that was just too perfect an entrance.

You are mostly coming at this from a different angle, and i agree with you on that ground. It looks to be a neck and neck race right now between Wine finally completing enough DX and Dinput to earn a "Platinum" for EU and EU throwing a whole new workshop full of spanners into the works.

Platform compatibility is an issue for EU and, by going with CE2, MA has effectively consolidated their position on the PC island.

Again, i would suggest that their reasoning is that the crowd that wants to prop up a game on a compatibility layer or hamster-powered CPU is not the "client" that they want (pun intended). In other words, i'm not sure that it's a bad direction for EU from a viability standpoint, althought it definitely will exclude a good percentage of present players.

Thanks for the reality check on this. I do wish i didn't have to boot XP to log in to EU, and if the day comes within a year or two where i have to boot Vista, i'll be out. I don't think that's going to happen; but then, I also don't think i'm really the kind of customer that MA wants. :silly2:

I think people are way overestimating the impact of CE2...

MA will never launch a software that will then exclude half their player base...

Crysis was just an extreme example of what can be done with the cry engine... but if you look at Far Cry or Far Cry2, these games do actually not require a lot more power than existing PCs... and even though you can tune up the shiny bits if your grafix can make it, you can also run it on lower resolution...

CE2 is extremely flexible and will allow users to adjust settings to their PCs performance... so stop worrying... yes maybe some old PCs will need to be exchanged but I guarantee you that anybody able to run Vista will be way within the margin to run EU...

Crysis was just an extreme example of what can be done with the cry engine... but if you look at Far Cry or Far Cry2, these games do actually not require a lot more power than existing PCs... and even though you can tune up the shiny bits if your grafix can make it, you can also run it on lower resolution...

FarCry 2 uses its own engine which hasn't got anything to do with CryEngine. Something got sold or licensed or something, I can't remember. FarCry 2 is called FarCry 2 because it's the successor of FarCry. But that "Cry" in FarCry doesn't imply the CryEngine. :wise:

Not very well designed, in my opinion. I've never been one for flashy websites.

Hi,
;-))
I always have to think about this ages old D-class western I've seen once: Where this cattle baron orders his peons to hang the hero for his big mouth, and where there's an incredible massacre following this sentence, starting with the cattle barons head exploding from a .45 bullet in slomo ;-)))

Sorry, that was just too perfect an entrance.
Yep! ;-)

Platform compatibility is an issue for EU and, by going with CE2, MA has effectively consolidated their position on the PC island.
Well, maybe not "consolidated" but "isolated" on the windows PC (and consoles, probably XBox) island?
I'm not this sure about the benefits of the CE2 - for sure, it is able to provide tremendous graphics, but at a decent price. I didn't recognize the Crysis experience this much stunning anymore after adjusting the effects to my machine ... And it's not hamster driven, that one was sold to MA some years ago ,-)

CE2 is hyped big time, but is there anything yet realized with it beyond Crysis? CryTec isn't exactly renown as long time supporter of its products, it's a relatively small company, and could have gone haywire as I'm typing this ... Meanwhile the only reference (other than EU) still available is a "Merchants of Brooklyn", whatever this is.

I'm not sure if it was a wise decision to license just CE2 - there's quite some game engines out there with very comparable features but a much wider platform compatibility, and a stronger developer company behind.

Again, i would suggest that their reasoning is that the crowd that wants to prop up a game on a compatibility layer or hamster-powered CPU is not the "client" that they want (pun intended). In other words, i'm not sure that it's a bad direction for EU from a viability standpoint, althought it definitely will exclude a good percentage of present players.
Well, there's a lot of "business" in EU - even if Marco now wants to make his planet a kick-ass MMORPG it was long stated that EU is not a game.
This would make it even more important to have access barriers as low as possible - maybe the wannabe EU entrepreneur wants to check his auctions from the subway, with laptop & UMTS? And think about the Chinese commercial planet - guess they want to sell RL things there, will every customer have at least a slightly outdated gamer PC? Comedy club visitors - how many of them will try to visit this with dreaded Intel onboard video?

We should not judge from todays EU only, where most of the game is, well, gaming. MA is aiming by far beyond, and my critics of the CE2 decision is based on these goals, too. Because exactly this audience will not be the gamers we are today, and expecting gamers PC's in the company's bureaus will be futile, IMHO.

Have fun!

Edit: Oh my, I should write at least one sentence to topic!

Is it just me, or have they completely f*cked up meanwhile? Just wanted to add some more PED's, but all I reach is a "Planet rooster" - HELP!

Last edited:
32 Different planets?

I just couldn't help doing like this: :eek: when I saw how many planet partners
MA expects to have ( Well, maybe they are just showing off? :scratch2:). But 32 of them? They don't even have more than one planet implemented yet. I just thought: isn't that to have a little too high expectations?

Is it right to advertise for 32 upcoming planets when they have only 4 decided planet partners? :scratch2:

-Tobi

Last edited:
nah I think it's just for show off or at least hope so. 32 planets would be to much :D
100ppl on each or what?

Hehe yeah it's just a bunch of placeholders. Some day it might fill up though, who knows!

It makes me wonder how this 'Universe' is actually going to fit together even more though. MA don't appear to like the concept of fluid space too much - or at least they haven't implemented such a system on Calypso.

I guess to begin with, each world will be accessible through some sort of login client. Hopefully that will change though :)

Back