EntropiaForum Rules Discussion

First ... congratulations on the launch of your other site. I'm sure it will be of benefit to many. ;)

However ... I'm a little confused about something though, so ... with all due respect 711, I would greatly appreciate it if you would clarify something for me regarding the following rule ...

3.7 - Other Computer Games
Discussion of any computer games, virtual worlds or MMORPGs other than Entropia Universe is NOT permitted. Any and all such threads or posts will be deleted. Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or gaming websites other than Entropia Universe is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. All references or links of this kind WILL BE DELETED, including those that appear in avatar pictures, member profiles or member signatures. If you would like to discuss computer games or MMORPG's other than Entropia Universe, please visit our sister site www.GamersHQ.com.​

My question is ...

What is the difference between posting a link at this forum to a single game site, and posting a link to a site where multiple games and MMORPGs are showcased with links to their sites?​

Is this not ... altering the interpretation of the rule in order to promote another website that is not all about Entropia? And, including a link to that site in the rule itself? :scratch2:

Please don't misunderstand ... because I think providing a site as you have where discussion of other games and MMORPGs can take place is definitely of benefit, and ... I know that many societies within EU have links at this forum to their websites, and who also have content relating to other games, JSA included, but ...

What I'm questioning is ... the seeming "work around" of a rule to bypass the rule in order to promote another owned site with a database dedicated to other games and MMORPGs and their website links.

If EF is to be all about Entropia ... with a rule that we cannot direct members to other games and MMORPG sites, then what's the difference in providing a direct link to a game site, and a site where MULTIPLE games and MMORPGs are showcased with links to their game sites? :scratch2:

If EF is the UNofficial official forum for EU ... now endorsed with a link at the FPC official site, then why are EF members being directed to a site that clearly introduces a whole host of other games to the community? Maybe I'm missing something? :scratch2:

I can appreciate the sentiment that ... the intent is to keep other game and MMORPG discussion off this site, but approaching it the way you have, is it not in conflict with a part of the actual rule? Sorry to throw a wrench into the mix surrounding what seems to be a great launch of the new site :yay:, but for my own understanding (and then I'll move along), I would appreciate a constructive response so that I understand this process more clearly.

Oh, and btw ... I'm not alone in this thinking, but my ovaries are brass enough to bring it up for discussion :laugh:, and I thank you in advance for not considering busting them. ;) My questions are sincere, and I feel reasonable and valid, but ... if I'm just not seeing something here, then constructively setting me in the right direction will do a world of good. :D

Thank you very much! ;)

*you KNOW how much I look at the fine print, and ... I am SO gonna get shit for this*

Last edited:
What I'm questioning is ... the seeming "work around" of a rule to bypass the rule in order to promote another owned site with an enormous database dedicated to other games and MMORPGs and their website links.

If EF is to be all about Entropia ... with a rule that we cannot direct members to other games and MMORPG sites, then what's the difference in providing a direct link to a game site, and a site where MULTIPLE games and MMORPGs are showcased with links to their game sites? :scratch2:

My interpretation of Rule 3.7 has never been that it is there for the purpose of pretending other games don't exist, it is just there to ensure that EF remains somewhere where the topic of discussion is Entropia Universe. Many people who play EU also are involved in SL, or WoW, etc, and if there was no rule inevitably EF would slowly fill up with discussions about them.

Despite popular opinion it was never about keeping other games quiet, it was about keeping EF focussed on EU. Most of the staff here play other games as well as EU so we have no reason to pretend other games don't exist ;)

Linking to other broader game forums (such as the one people vote for EU on - mmogd.com?) has always been allowed afaik.

Not that my opinion means anything at all.

I always viewed the rule in this light - you can't discuss any other game. However, if you mention another game in passing to make a point about Entropia - that is ok. If the conversation turned and started focusing on the other game the thread would be moderated.

The letter of the law is one thing and the way it is enforced is usually something else.

I always viewed the rule in this light - you can't discuss any other game. However, if you mention another game in passing to make a point about Entropia - that is ok. If the conversation turned and started focusing on the other game the thread would be moderated.

The letter of the law is one thing and the way it is enforced is usually something else.

Indeed thoreau, that is precisely how I have always aimed to moderate the rule.

My interpretation of Rule 3.7 was that it was never there for the purpose of pretending other games don't exist, it was just there to ensure that EF remains somewhere where the topic of discussion is Entropia Universe. Many people who play EU also are involved in SL, or WoW, etc, and if there was no rule inevitably EF would slowly fill up with discussions about them.

Despite popular opinion it was never about keeping other games quiet, it was about keeping EF focussed on EU. Most of the staff here play other games as well as EU so we have no reason to pretend other games don't exist ;)

Linking to other broader game forums (such as the one people vote for EU on - mmogd.com?) has always been allowed afaik.

I appreciate your response JimmyB ... as always ;) ... but knowing that other games exist is a given, and I certainly don't question that whatsoever, nor that many of us play other games. I also don't think that the rule was about keeping other games quiet, and am not questioning that either.

However ... the part about keeping EF focused on EU, and using the rule that states this (in so many words) to direct EF members to a site all about other games and MMORPGs and their website links is what I'm questioning. I understand the whole MMORPG.com thing as well, and I don't have an issue with that either, but ...

Here's where it gets tricky ... true, the rule prevents in-depth discussion about other games and MMORPGs at this forum, and ... true, the other site is an alternative to do that, but ... to have a rule in place that basically says we can't discuss other games and MMORPGs, or link to them, and then alter that rule to include a link to another site that gives us all that content seems rather contradictory. I don't know, maybe it's just me ... nah, others have said the same thing to me, so I know I'm not alone in this thinking.

At any rate ... I DO wish 711 success with his other site, but would like to hear from him as well since EF and GHQ are his projects. I guess I'm just looking at this a little bit differently.

To anyone responding ... all I ask is that you please be constructive in your post in order to give me a perspective other than what I am seeing at the moment. It would really be appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Here's where it gets tricky ... true, the rule prevents in-depth discussion about other games and MMORPGs at this forum, and ... true, the other site is an alternative to do that, but ... to have a rule in place that basically says we can't discuss other games and MMORPGs, or link to them, and then alter that rule to include a link to another site that gives us all that content seems rather contradictory. I don't know, maybe it's just me ... nah, others have said the same thing to me, so I know I'm not alone in this thinking.

I don't really feel there's any contradiction MS9. Because EF is supposed to be somewhere members can rely on reading stuff predominantly about EU, the response given when someone has gone too far off-topic is generally something like "post it somewhere more appropriate, there's plenty of more general gaming forums out there". So the sentiment hasn't really changed.

The linking part of the rule is there because EF shouldn't be flooded with specific links to other games (off-topic and basically spam here), there's never been a problem with linking to broader gaming forums as I mentioned earlier.

Also, as an aside, from reading what 711 has posted I think he feels GHQ will help expose EU to a wider audience rather than turn the EF community to other games.

Anyway, think you want to hear from 711 not me so I'll leave it there.

I want to take a second to point out that 711 has never deleted any of those links to sites that allow voting for your favorite mmorpg. While one is a forum to discuss other games and the other are links to vote on EU or other games, I don't see too much difference in the result. It is a link to a site that has info about games other than EU.

I don't really feel there's any contradiction MS9. Because EF is supposed to be somewhere members can rely on reading stuff predominantly about EU, the response given when someone has gone too far off-topic is generally something like "post it somewhere more appropriate, there's plenty of more general gaming forums out there". So the sentiment hasn't really changed.

The linking part of the rule is there because EF shouldn't be flooded with specific links to other games (off-topic and basically spam here), there's never been a problem with linking to broader gaming forums as I mentioned earlier.

Also, as an aside, from reading what 711 has posted I think he feels GHQ will help expose EU to a wider audience rather than turn the EF community to other games.

Anyway, think you want to hear from 711 not me so I'll leave it there.

Fair enough ... and understood ... thank you for taking the time. 711 doesn't need to respond.

Jimmy B did a very good job of explaining things (as usual).

I'll try to clarify a bit more anyway.

My opening post in the Announcing GamersHQ.com thread provides a detailed explanation of the issue:

Ever since the creation of EntropiaForum.com, one of the most controversial and hotly debated rules of this forum was the rule prohibiting discussion of other computer games and MMOs.

MindBuster was very thoughtful and wise to implement that rule from the very start, allowing EntropiaForum to remain uniquely and purely devoted to discussion of Entropia Universe. That rule is one reason that EF has become what it is today: the largest, most informative, and most active Entropia community.

By far, the overwhelming reason for EntropiaForum's great success is the quality of its member base: EF members are extremely friendly, mature, creative, helpful and especially passionate about gaming.

Many times, EF members would like to discuss various topics (e.g. other computer games) unrelated directly to Entropia Universe. However, because of the extremely targeted focus of EntropiaForum, such discussions risk distracting EF from its primary mission, and are most times discouraged or prohibited.

Usually EF staff would instuct members to conduct those discussions on more general gaming forums. However, part of the desire for holding such discussions here on EF is the wonderful member base described above. Entropians are a special breed, and this forum is a very special place. I have participated in dozens of various forums and message boards, and I must say that EF's community is second to none. :wtg:

I elaborate further about the EF rules in the third post of that thread:

For the record, and to avoid any confusion: The following EntropiaForum rule remains in effect:

3.7 - Other Computer Games
Discussion of any computer games, virtual worlds or MMORPGs other than Entropia Universe is NOT permitted. Any and all such threads or posts will be deleted. Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or gaming websites other than Entropia Universe is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. All references or links of this kind WILL BE DELETED, including those that appear in avatar pictures, member profiles or member signatures. If you would like to discuss computer games or MMORPG's other than Entropia Universe, please visit our sister site www.GamersHQ.com.​

I still believe strongly that this rule is a very important one for the continued success of EntropiaForum. If anything, this rule will be enforced even more stringently, as now there really is no excuse for creating threads to discuss other games here on EF.

The rule regarding discussion of other games was never intended to ignore the existence of such, or to make members think that EU is the "only game in town." The sole purpose of the rule is, and always has been, to keep EF focused on Entropia Universe. In fact, it is because so many EF members do play other games, that this rule is very important. Otherwise there would be hundreds and hundreds of threads discussing other games.

I don't see how the revised rule is contradictory in any way.

Basically the rule says this:

1. EntropiaForum is for the discussion of Entropia Universe
  2. Don't discuss games other than EU here on EF
  3. If you would like to discuss other games, please discuss them on GHQ

Seems fairly straightforward and unambiguous to me.

MS9, sorry for the delayed response; I have been offline for the last 14 hours or so (most of that time spent sleeping after being awake for 30+ hours during and after the GHQ launch). Hopefully the explanations offered Jimmy B and myself have helped make the issue clear. Please feel free to contact me via PM with any further questions. Thanks!

Hopefully the explanations offered Jimmy B and myself have helped make the issue clear. Please feel free to contact me via PM with any further questions. Thanks!

I understand perfectly ... thank you for taking the time.

about the listing/selling of ingame auction items

lots of high profile players have been doing that in last few months without any intervention from mods. maybe some upcoming rule change ?

since ppl are advertising shop inventory n such don`t see what the problem is. maybe put a cap at certain value for auction item not to spam the selling section.

Back