EntropiaTracker instead of screenies for events?

Should EntropiaTracker be allowed to be used when time-stamped screenies are required for events?

• Total voters

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
Well, a recent event has created an interesting situation.

I asked for time-stamped screenies. YourMom didn't make them, but asked if EntropiaTracker could be used?

Technically, Tracker is done w/ screenies and does indicate the times, however I don't have access to the screenies.

Also, if I allow this precedent, that means Tracker may be used in future events. I'm worried about 3 things:

1. Potential for bribery/abuse (Unlikely I know but I must bring it up)
  2. Too much work on the event makers part, if they're asked to sift through tracker stats
  3. inaccurate reporting by Tracker

I can see this situation hitting WoF and other big events. LA events obviously can't use Tracker because those require coordinate stamps too, so we'll not worry about those.

So, what does everyone else think. Should EntropiaTracker be allowed to be used when time-stamped screenies are required for events? :confused:

if/when it stops missing entries maybe.

At the moment no, I think Tracker isn't reliable enough. Maybe once its been around a bit longer.

Personally the way I see it at the moment, is if you're doing an event which requires screens then no reason not to have screens (even if you're using Autoscreen and it doesn't work, with the scroll on chat window now fixed its no problem to scroll back up and rescreen if necessary). Tracker can maybe be used to verify suspicious screens by the event organiser.

As an event manager, I would rather stay away from EntropiaTracker. It's more work for me, and there is no way for it to show the location, which is essential in most of my screenshot events as they are LA-based. I will continue to require a clear screenshot with the appropriate info. As Jimmy B says, however, it could potentially be a useful cross-check in the case of suspected cheating, but I've never come across a case where I would need to use it in that way.

As an event participant, I would not use EntropiaTracker even if it was allowed, because it's too unreliable. My global might be missed, or might be credited to Olog or similar. If I make the screenshot, I am in no doubt, and if I screw it up then that's my fault and I can't complain.

In the YourMom case, well, the tracker does clearly show that she's completed the task, but she hasn't provided the evidence you asked for. I think this is a case where the "judge's decision is final" clause comes into play :) For something that's just a fun event rather than a serious competition with PED prizes, I'd be tempted to allow it.

im not going to vote yet becuase i have a question does tracker count team globals as your own? if so then no

As most competitions require a location, it falls at the first hurdle for "sole proof." (or is it "Soul Proof"??)

It acts as a backup for a competition holder, as if the glow is on ET it is a real glow, but a missing glow from ET is not conclusive proof the glow is "photo-shopped" as ET misses some.

It is a valuable tool, but not the only tool needed.

interesting idea, i say "market" will decide for us

While judging WOF matches, I (and probably other judges) would have ET running as well as a backup only. It is not reliable enough IMO. In the Trax Beach madness, I have 12 Atrax and 1 Allophyl... last check at ET did not reflect this. In an event with a lot of competitors I dont thinkET is up to the challenge. Hell, Sweden scored 91 globals in 3 hours once... Screenies FTW

Tracker is a bit of a slacker atm but im sure it will get better.

When its fully up and running with far less down time I cant see why it shouldn't be used for event scoring.... except for the no position ie on the land area.

You could use NRF...

If you have it running. Everytime you press PrintScreen on your keyboard it will save a screenshot to it's screenshot folder for you.

Nrf is a screene program that is required for pics, I use autoscreen myself it pics every time global or HOF noise is made. Annoying sometimes in auction and someone on amp run but het it works well.

I wonder if I can trick ET type in Text "Wildman has killed an atrox old for 1,000,000ped" and play the HOF sound, not sure how it works ET since it don't work for me at all!!!

I will never use this program stick to old reliable screen shots!!!

it's a great idea, but events need co-ordinate stamps too to be verified.

Jamhot

It would be too easy to participate in events.

For example, i participated in "the Battle for Power" a few times and the need to make p/c screens and post them in time gives a bit of the event charm. You really have the feeling you are participating, that you really are in the event.

im not going to vote yet becuase i have a question does tracker count team globals as your own? if so then no

No, all Tracker is, is an ava someone is using with a screen capture program running. It "reads" the global chat, assigns a time to it, and that's that.

Like you, reading global chat, it has no way of knowing who's on a team. It only reports "xxxx did blah blah worth xxxx". It also doesn't know locations, however, as I stated in the OP (which many seem to have overlooked :D) this question obviously isn't for LA events requiring location.

That's the Tracker 101 basics.

I was thinking about something along these lines during the WoF.

An application that monitors the chat window (through screen captures, obviously), OCR parses the contents and then tallies the team scores. It could even be set up with the loot rules, applying bonuses etc.

You probably wouldn't want to run something like this as the primary scoring mechanism, even if several versions were running on the scorer's PCs, but it might be a useful backup for the existing scoring process.

It seems that there are a number of EU OCR front-ends around that could be adapted to this.

Back