Suggestion: EU needs a VOIP system

INTERNUT

Alpha
Society
Freelancer
INTERNUT
During my recent travels in EU I've been thinking that a VOIP system is needed. This would allow natural communication and would remove the problems associated with, for instance, typing while hunting at the same time as part of a team. Most laptops, tablets, etc have microphones built in, or you can get o.c usb microphines, so is easily doable.

As a bit of a technophobe, I am going to make the assumption that a "VOIP system" and Discord voice chat is basically the same thing. I have formed my argument based on this assumption.

Most group huntys that I am involved with that need more than a basic level of organization just use discord voice chat.

I think groups running through C1 instance would benefit from it sure, though they probably also already use discord or some other external tool.

As for the vast majority of people, most of us hunt alone, and those that do team are mostly Hunter/Healer duos, and a good healer doesn't need much communication. And due to Entropia's pretty simplistic gameplay of F/Tab/repeat, I don't think its too hard for somebody with a reasonable typing speed to keep up with a conversation and not miss a beat while hunting. Especially when you know the hotkeys

To be frank, I don't think such a feature will be of benefit to most people, and those that would benefit from it already have other means of doing so.

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy on many of your ideas, but my deposits help fund the development of this game, and thus I want my money to go to implementations that I think will add the most overall value to the average players experience.

Last edited:
As a bit of a technophobe, I am going to make the assumption that a "VOIP system" and Discord voice chat is basically the same thing. I have formed my argument based on this assumption.

Most group huntys that I am involved with that need more than a basic level of organization just use discord voice chat.

I think groups running through C1 instance would benefit from it sure, though they probably also already use discord or some other external tool.

As for the vast majority of people, most of us hunt alone, and due to Entropia's pretty simplistic gameplay of F/Tab/repeat, I don't think its too hard for somebody with a reasonable typing speed to keep up with a conversation and not miss a beat while hunting. Especially when you know the hotkeys

To be frank, I don't think such a feature will be of benefit to most people, and those that would benefit from it already have other means of doing so.

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy on many of your ideas, but my deposits help fund the development of this game, and thus I want my money to go to implementations that I think will add the most overall value to the average players experience.
Agreed. I use Discord voice for group hunts. Works very well. It's also nice to be out of band when the client crashes. You can still communicate with your team as you log back in.

As someone who who installs voip systems (both physical servers and cloud solutions), I can positively tell you:
I think you meant you want something like discord.

Imagine the sip trunk, giving everyone a DID, telling people to disable the phone setting on their ISP modem because UTP times out after 900 secondes,...
Also, the cost alone, unless you want MA to run their own sip provider server. But then they'll surely get hacked knowing how difficult it is to properly secure trunks, especially for a whole bunch of clients.

but thx for making me laugh.

There used to be one. Could chat locally, I'm teams, pms etc

It got abused and removed.

Discord works just fine as mentioned above, but rarely needed for regular hunting styles other than for being a bit social (or c1 on occasion) .

Last edited:

As for the vast majority of people, most of us hunt alone, and those that do team are mostly Hunter/Healer duos, and a good healer doesn't need much communication. And due to Entropia's pretty simplistic gameplay of F/Tab/repeat, I don't think its too hard for somebody with a reasonable typing speed to keep up with a conversation and not miss a beat while hunting. Especially when you know the hotkeys

I don't think you're being negative at all and I realise that there are VOIP apps already available, such as teamspeak and others, but what I mean is an EU-wide VOIP system so that you could hear other players talking.

There used to be one. Could chat locally, I'm teams, pms etc

It got abused and removed.

Discord works just fine as mentioned above, but rarely needed for regular hunting styles other than for being a bit social (or c1 on occasion) .
That's a shame. How was it abused? Use of profanity? That sort of thing? At least it would have been realistic. ;)

@ OP
please let MA focus the PHEW if any resources to other priorities. TS3, Discord, even Ventrillo would be better of any internal game chat.
i take as a standard Activision/Blizzard with 12m users... no one used Blizz itnernal voice chat... 'nuff said

as per abuse it is shameful enough to read "get the f*ck off MY spawn" in text, wonder if being insulted walking... on discord YOU choose with whom to chat.

definitely a bad idea.. next time you walk in EU think about removing Mankini if you need a strange topic to focus on :)

That's a shame. How was it abused? Use of profanity? That sort of thing? At least it would have been realistic. ;)
I don't know if that was the primary reason for its removal or to do with the partner they were working with, or just that eventually most people turned it off or never used it. Many turned it off and there were people blasting trash metal or whatever obnoxious noise they could find through it, so it got tedious to mute individuals.

Like Bonnie said, we used to have this. If you wanted voice chat in teams Ithink you had to pay for it? Typical MA haha

Discord = better :)

Last edited:
Like Bonnie said, we used to have this. If you wanted voice chat in teams Ithink you had to pay for it? Typical MA haha

Discord = better :)
Yeah we had a boss at Mindark who was a former smartphone boss (nokia or ericsson) and he thought it was a good idea we would pay for ingame voice chat. Total FAIL

I don't think you're being negative at all and I realise that there are VOIP apps already available, such as teamspeak and others, but what I mean is an EU-wide VOIP system so that you could hear other players talking.

You just need to turn the option on then you can hear good old Calypso speech. Dododooh? Deedeedee? Ah! doh doh doh. It's all you need. The previous in game chat was only good for those moments where someone was streaming music. They'd we'd all come dance round them. That was fun. Other than that it was just loud and obnoxious americans swearing or shouting. Pretty shit for immersion. Text is the truth the light and the way if you want immersion and a nice experience.

Wistrel

I think some of you are being real drama kings and queens here. Hearing other AVs talking, if they're near enough, as soon as you log into EU would add extra realism. I know what I mean even if some of you don't understand what I mean, or choose not to understand.

Yeah we had a boss at Mindark who was a former smartphone boss (nokia or ericsson) and he thought it was a good idea we would pay for ingame voice chat. Total FAIL
No way should we pay for it

I think some of you are being real drama kings and queens here. Hearing other AVs talking, if they're near enough, as soon as you log into EU would add extra realism. I know what I mean even if some of you don't understand what I mean, or choose not to understand.
I guess we all like different things. But I think if i had to subject myself to listening to a whole lot of randos with bad mics going on about shit all day while I am just trying to hunt I would have my game perpetually muted.
Also keep in mind that most of us multi task. Netflix or Youtube is a second screen for a lot of players. EU just doesn't require that much attention. I'm not gonna have teenagers burping into the mic ruining my Judge Judy YouTube binge.

You just need to turn the option on then you can hear good old Calypso speech. Dododooh? Deedeedee? Ah! doh doh doh. It's all you need. The previous in game chat was only good for those moments where someone was streaming music. They'd we'd all come dance round them. That was fun. Other than that it was just loud and obnoxious americans swearing or shouting. Pretty shit for immersion. Text is the truth the light and the way if you want immersion and a nice experience.

Wistrel
Yea, but too much Dododooh? Deedeedee? Ah! doh doh doh every time you type something would drive you nuts. ;) I always wondered what language that is btw? Is it Swedish?

Last edited:
I guess we all like different things. But I think if i had to subject myself to listening to a whole lot of randos with bad mics going on about shit all day while I am just trying to hunt I would have my game perpetually muted.
Also keep in mind that most of us multi task. Netflix or Youtube is a second screen for a lot of players. EU just doesn't require that much attention. I'm not gonna have teenagers burping into the mic ruining my Judge Judy YouTube binge.
FFS! In real life you only here those people that are near to you if they're talking at a normal level, or further away if they're talking loudly, or you won't hear any talking at all if there's no one anywhere!

Yea, but too much Dododooh? Deedeedee? Ah! doh doh doh every time you type something would drive you nuts. ;) I always wondered what language that is btw? Is it Swedish?
You are talking with a lot of people who have been playing this game for more than ten years. Sheesh, we like it. That's the game. We are used to it and we had a lot of fun with it. Now we're old. Old people don't like changes... ;) BTW, it was designed to be an artificial language (and now please don't mention that the worship-emote actually says "we worship you").

FFS! In real life you only here those people that are near to you if they're talking at a normal level, or further away if they're talking loudly, or you won't hear any talking at all if there's no one anywhere!
And now please enlighten us how you want to play this game near an AH, the storage, the trader with the highest markup, in a sweat circle, ... Basically you are asking for a personal AH-assistant and somebody carrying your storage around (similar to a caddy in golf) all the time.

And if I may add a few personal words: I dislike the background music of the majority of Twitch-streams (I can't stand this techno-/electro-noise). Greentoken<some number here> played Metallica for a while the other day and I had a great time! Thrash metal FTW! (@Alainax : "thrash" not "trash" ;) ).

What am I saying? People have different tastes and sometimes it's not possible to move away. Do I complain? No. Do I hate those pet-sounds? Yes, actually I do :cry: ...

EU is the game here and it is fine that it is that. It doesn't make any sense to add stuff because the technology is around. Next things are a handheld-browser to navigate in entropiawiki.com, a drive-in cinema, an amusement park (well, with rollercoasters and such), videochat (where you carry your RL-"face" on your chest), some AR-stuff that makes your chair rumble, smell-o-vision, ... Not even VR seems to make it, so please stay realistic here. All those additional stuff makes the download packages bigger for no real gain and contains a hell lot more places for bugs. We do get a fair share of those already...

---
EDIT: fun fact: the chatty sounds were missing when CryEngine came out and the player base requested that they had to come back. It took a while, but at one point we got them back...

Last edited:
Yer, whatever... So it's an artificial language, not Swedish. Thx for clearing that up for me, only I've never been to Sweden so didn't know. Anyway, SC has the sort of in-game chat that I'm thinking of, so why can't EU?

Last edited:
Well there should be a voice chat for teams only. I was around in 2011 when they added it and people were just playing music.

Well there should be a voice chat for teams only. I was around in 2011 when they added it and people were just playing music.
I agree there should be voice chat, but not just for teams. Interesting that EU had voice chat in 2011 though, however ppl just playing music all the time would be annoying...

Come on mate. Please try to control your attitude a little better when people don't agree with you. This is not the first time you have had a go at me. Unlike Counterstrike, your success in EU is mostly determined by 2 factors: Your investment and your reputation. The first one is highly dependent on your income and personal situation, and can't often be helped, but the second one can be. You can talk to me how you like, I'm a nobody, but many people hold a lot of power in this game, rub them the wrong way and you may be locking yourself out of some good opportunities in the future. EU mirrors real life in this respect.

Lets summarize the points against this.
1. A few have brought up that this system was implemented years ago but removed because it was annoying, misused or both. I Don't see how a relaunch would yield different results. Only insane people repeat the same mistake and expect a different outcome. All this stuff costs the company time and money to develop, test and implement and if they don't see a benefit to the community then they are just burning money. And at least when you set money on fire you can get some heat energy out of it.
2. Discord is a superior system for voice chat. People that want to chat already use this

Just from these 2 points alone, I see no case for implementing this.

I don't want to discourage you from sharing ideas. I think it is great that you have such an early vested interest in our great game and community. I look forward to hearing your next suggestion. But please, lets put this one to bed.

Yer, whatever... So it's an artificial language, not Swedish. Thx for clearing that up for me, only I've never been to Sweden so didn't know. Anyway, CS has the sort of in-game chat that I'm thinking of, so why can't EU?
You don't have to travel to Sweden to hear a sample of its language. Education about any subject is a click or at most a search away nowadays. That it still doesn't occur to most people to actually do that before making their random thoughts public is a prime argument for those who say voice chat will turn this into just another obnoxious, noisy mess. No offence intended, it's just human nature and we all trip over it often enough.

The availability of technical alternatives mentioned above should render the argument pointless, anyway. You can have it anytime you want it. You're asking the developer to re-invent the wheel for zero reward since nobody wants to pay for it, either.

Did I already mention anywhere else that I wish for the ability to unsubscribe from rookie chat?

Since MA first had voice chat ingame it was a disaster, programming wise. I think that's why they got rid of it. Have you seen the chat bugs now in just the chat system? My guess is MA can't program a voice chat.

It would make sense for them to make an API for other programmers to make up a system, like you are asking for, but MA CAN'T make an API either.

You'll come around to realize EU software is a bunkerpile that prays on spaghetti endians. I'd rather have nothing than marginally useful software that doesn't work properly.

Discord serves the purpose.

Back