Question: EU on a mobile phone?

Master Dave

Provider
Society
NBK Miners
Master Dave Master
Ok im just after some info on why this in not possible atm and ideas about how long it might take for something like this to be possible.

I need to prove a point ;)

Ever played some mobile versions of some PC games? They are limited so much it's almots not worth it if you played the original on PC. Nevermind the graphics etc the lack of controls would be killer for a game like this. Obviously connecting isn't an issue with mobiles the way they are today and some even have big enough screens to make rooting through storage doable. Could even depo I guess.

Not so much a question of not possible, more like not viable :scratch2:

EU has a problem running on most decent X86 machines, theres no way possible to get it to run on a ARM mobile device. let alone the battery power it would need to be able to process the graphics is beyond anything we have now.

play a movie on your mobile phone now, and poof battery gone.

then theres porting the code to a new architecture, but i wont even go there, since they cant get it right on the X86 hardware even....... :rolleyes:

the psp is the closest thing we have, but yet that is still so far away from a decent cryengine game play and graphics.

give it about 10 years or so and we will have this.

Arf

ever tried playing crysis on a mobile? :laugh:

Auction in a mobile phone/ internet browser is a good idea.

A cryengine 2 game in a cell phone, hmm. not good idea :rolleyes:

For low intensity parts of gameplay, it should work well on the highest end phones, could even look pretty decent doing it.

But network latency and problem to get the framerate high enough for intense gameplay makes it less suitable for hunting and such...

And we are still a few years away from being able to easily port console and PC game engines straight over to the phones, so a lot of key systems would have to be heavily adapted or rewritten for it to work, so I doubt MA can pull it off today without massive help.

But we wont have to wait 10 years for the phone games to match and possibly beat todays PC games, in 3-4 years, all high end phones will have advanced programmable graphics, and multicore processors.

Embedded hardware developers is using all knowledge gained developing the PC hardware, and is closing the gap more and more each year.

I can't say that it would never happen. But I can say that in the future anything is possible. ;)

Letsee...

Insufficient CPU speed
Insufficient RAM to run the program.
Insufficient storage space (some may have room w/ a SD card, but...)
Insufficient graphics capability
Insufficient screen resolution
Insufficient battery capacity to run full tilt for an extended period
Insufficient input control for things like aiming

I think that pretty well sums it up.

It's not the problem to render the graphics for such a small display with the current generation of cellphones. It doesn't make sense to go for 3D here, so it's all limitted to 2D. Though, you probably won't get the 50 FPS or whatever you are used to on your desktop/laptop. Also the bandwidth is not a problem, if you leave patches aside.

But how do you want to play? Chat? The entire HUD? Some actions placed on the desktop? Now there's no place for anything else. Oh well, you die but you have no chance to see by who or what. ;)

To me it sounds impossible to play with 15 keys or whatever the number is. I mean you can easily break your own fingers or drop the phone that way...

So, IMO, technically it's possible but it absolutely doesn't make any sense. There are commercials about some Sim-game for cellphones and, whow, that one must suck big time just by looking at the graphics.

In a few years the technical background may be different, but the user interface simply isn't possible on such a small display. I can't even imagine playing EU on a netbook.

Ok im just after some info on why this in not possible atm and ideas about how long it might take for something like this to be possible.

I need to prove a point ;)

First install DirectX 9c to your mobile. When done, install EU.

I like the idea :)

It sounds great!

If you have a high end cellphone with a big touch screen interface, this game might actually go mobile (Except for the CryEngine 2 part, but it can be replaced by another engine suitable for mobile games).
I think the game can be played smoothly with some of the most used features on a mobile device and be fun to play.

First install DirectX 9c to your mobile. When done, install EU.

And if it's one of those non-complying phones simply install it in a VirtualBox or with VMware.

Back