EU Prizes: A Cautionary Tale

ForrestPark

Prowler
Society
The Ministry
Hi everyone,

I thought I would post about my experiences claiming an in-game prize.

In 2017 I completed a mission ("The Great AI War") to kill 100,000 Virus Kongs (a level 15 taxed mob in Hell with 1110 HP).

The prize was quite vague but mentioned "land" (as opposed to "property", "apartment", "shop" or "house") - both in the pre-mission text and in the text after completing the mission. The resulting achievement gained upon completing the mission is called "ROCKtropia Land Guru", with the subtext "Your (sic) worthy to own land on Roctropia!".

So clearly the prize seemed quite attractive as it was land-based. My thinking was... best case scenario it would be a land area akin to the Kool Kats land area. Worst case scenario a nice property with land. I assumed I would be rewarded with something worth at least the 2% tax paid into this mission, which if my maths is correct (3dpp, no overkill) is 7400 PED.

So I went for it.

The mission took essentially all my free time for 5 months. But I did it. And the mission hasn't been completed subsequently by anyone else so there is no question of sharing the prize. Incidentally, I made a "proof" video which you can see here. [I did the chain in safe mode - this was because the mobs were otherwise too bright]. Between about 60k and 90k mobs I was quite scared that an uber would come along and overtake me, and I was playing quite hardcore, above my normal hours. It took me a year to sell the whips I looted.

I PMed the owner of Rocktropia Studios (in-game) within in a day or two of completing the mission and received immediate congratulations. I assumed the ball was rolling and the prize would be forthcoming...

At this point I admit to being foolish. I didn't chase it for three years. I thought the prize was being worked on. Also, many years ago I was in cK and I remember two socmates hunting in the RT prison until their eyes bled and didn't remember hearing any complaints about claiming the resulting prize. Rocktropia basements appear to have been distributed, and also the Kool Kats land area.

I'm not a known person on RT or part of the in-crowd there. I don't know the system. But even putting this chain aside, I've completed (albeit under the legacy mission system) every stage one hunting and mining mission there. [As an aside, I was the only player to complete all the stage one hunting and mining missions on all planets back in the day.] My mission count on RT shows as 301 (and 175 on Secret Island; 75 in Hunt the Thing). My 1,000,000 kills achievement showed up whilst I was hunting other taxed mobs in Hell.

A bit abut me then, as most people reading this haven't heard of me. Feel free to skip this paragraph! My skills went over 500k three years ago, I had 800+ attributes before codex, and at one point (maybe still today) had completed more missions (numerically, on all planets, and pre-codex) than any other player, way over 2000 even after removing the duplicates. [Incidentally, as an aside - and I was going to make a thread about this but was too lazy - I found the mission content was split as follows in case anyone is interested: Calypso & Moons 41%, Cyrene 16%, Arkadia & Moon 15%, RT (inc HTT, not SI) 13%, Toulan 9%, NI/SI 4%, Space & Multiplanet 2%]. I have 85k all-nautral mindforce skills. I've probably bought more Level 12/13/15 (L) mindforce chips on auction than any other player. My total deposits (admittedly before withdrawals) are in excess of USD 100,000. And I gave something back to the community, studying skills and loot so you didn't have to! See here and here.

Anyway, that's enough background. I just wanted to get across that I've very definitely paid into the system over the last 15 years! Perhaps 80% of all my gaming, ever, has been in EU.

Since October 2020 I've been chasing Rocktropia Planet Manager and MindArk. The former is unable to place a deed into my inventory - even if I wait for the next VU/content update - as "it is not possible". In addition, they are unwilling to give me a time to meet in-game. My latest support ticket with MindArk has gone unanswered. At no point have I suggested to Rocktropia or MindArk that I am looking for a specific prize, disputed the type of prize, refused a specific prize, etc. In other words, I have done nothing to stall the process, and have done nothing whatsoever to be difficult.

Four years after completing the mission (and not killing a single further Virus Kong lol) I still have more Virus Kong globals than the next ten Virus Kong hunters put together. So this wasn't a minor achievement. And as someone who has in the past proved that each individual hunting loot is indeed taxed at the stated rate at the point of looting (see above thread about loot) I obviously am not in the habit of spending USD 740 on hunting tax.

Anyway, I thought I would post this as a cautionary tale. Sometimes people aren't as honorable as you expect them to be, and sometimes they are downright immoral. Companies aren't your friends. Rocktropia don't care and nor do MindArk.

I've given up trying to claim the prize. It's a pointless exercise and time to move on!

Anyway, thanks for reading. Have a great week everyone, whatever you're doing.

Cheers,

Forrest

no no you got it all wrong the reward for you hard work IS the hard work!

MA is just not good at translating. in the MA native language of Neverkeepsapromise "Land" = "hard work" so you got what they promised per my explanation above.

yea MA really shining through on this one.

Recently on ROCKtropia chat, we had discussing stuff and I just had a good rant about ND. How after last few years he has gone MIA, the crypto shit, Taxes, etc Then poof just like magic he turned up and started talking about the codex and how he has not got dev team.

Anyway cut a long story short. Someone else asked after this mission and the prize was a land plot. You find them near CND in the hills. unfortunately, we all know that MA has since abounded this idea. Land plots on other planets did not even take off.

I don't think your only one. Sorry, this does not help and your best bet is to keep sending RT manager messages or keep making a fuss on here. He does log in to the game a lot collect tax and he does read forums. He just decides not to answer.

i message you every time i log in. we are not on at the same - lets just make a time and we will make it happen

Your reputation is on the line, and the integrity of the whole MA project. So let's hope you do make it happen as who in their right mind would invest serious real life money into EU if contracts and promises are consistently broken? This is not a good look for MA and if planet partners do not follow through I think the FBI and fraud squads from various nations will need to take a very close look at where all these dollars are going and the promises and contracts made. The EULA is a colander with so many holes and will not stand up to a serious legal challenge from somebody with money to pay the lawyers to see it through to a legal conclusion. Just my two cents worth. (I am a qualified lawyer btw with case history on this topic.)

Last edited:
Your reputation is on the line, and the integrity of the whole MA project. So let's hope you do make it happen as who in their right mind would invest serious real life money into EU if contracts and promises are consistently broken? This is not a good look for MA and if planet partners do not follow through I think the FBI and fraud squads from various nations will need to take a very close look at where all these dollars are going and the promises and contracts made. The EULA is a colander with so many holes and will not stand up to a serious legal challenge from somebody with money to pay the lawyers to see it through to a legal conclusion. Just my two cents worth. (I am a qualified lawyer btw with case history on this topic.)

He does sort out things out in the end, unfortunately, it takes a long time and is normally a messy road getting there. I was only speaking to a player the other day, who a place on SI that was bugged, and in the end, he got it exchanged for cell in NWO.

Hi everyone,

I thought I would post about my experiences claiming an in-game prize.

In 2017 I completed a mission ("The Great AI War") to kill 100,000 Virus Kongs (a level 15 taxed mob in Hell with 1110 HP).

i message you every time i log in. we are not on at the same - lets just make a time and we will make it happen

I'd like to se a follow-up post saying this was completed and the prize delivered. I am not a math science major, but I find it difficult to believe they have not been able to meet-up in-game from 2017 to today (AD 2021). Yikes! @NEVERDIE

This gave me hope. I'm excited to see what the reward is. Maybe the quest would be worth the grind.

You almost never see an MA response on these forums, so it's pretty cool that Neverdie responded so quickly.

This gave me hope. I'm excited to see what the reward is. Maybe the quest would be worth the grind.

You almost never see an MA response on these forums, so it's pretty cool that Neverdie responded so quickly.

well it will be going SOON, when codex comes into play

From the descriptions given by OP the reward was almost certainly meant to be the new land plots. Not sure if RT has any land plots but the system seems to be "abandoned" by MA for now.

delivered to inventory with assistance of MA .
Wow, only took 4 years and then only after a very public frustrated post on the forum.

What was it, WHAT WAS IT -WE ALL NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was it worth 4 years of wait time ?

would be funny if MA accidently put the entirety of RT in his inventory - see if that takes 4 years to resolve :)

I'm 99.999% sure the prize is/was a Land Plot on RT, hopefully at least a Small+ given the cost to kill this many mobs.

Back