Fix & Win :)

Tromos

Dominant
Society
RELICS
Platonas Tromos Bios
Hi guys,

I am totally missing EU... Heeeelppppppp :D

I recently took a job that had me move from my comfortable desk and uber fast connection. That means away from beloved EU as well :mad:. I have been offline for 15 days now :(

Right now having temporary housing between 2 cities getting a fixed broadband connection is going to be difficult so I had to improvise. I got myself a wireless umts card which gives me a comfortable 1.8mbps speed. However I can only install it at my laptop, which should be able to run the game with min requirements.

So far so good. I read some posts here that the game IS portable so I copied the game folder to an external drive and being all fully deprived of the game I tried to launch... No luck.

The client gives me an error message before it even loads the EULA. "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem".

I know for a fact that the installation is ok, because when I switch the drive to the desktop it loads the client with no problems. It's only the laptop that gives me this message. I have never played the game on this laptop, however, I made sure that min requirements are met (directx etc.)

So... I am here crying out for help :ahh: . To throw a bit of an extra incentive, the first one who gives me a workable solution gets 1000 EFDs :D . I am talking about solutions on how to load the client and not suggestions of the nature: "Download the game again" or "Buy a new laptop" :silly2:

Thank you for your time reading this post already.

Please heeeeeeeelpp.... I can't stand missing another WoF round now that I have a connection!!!

Tromos

The problem is in the registry. The desktops registry has the entries needed to be able to run the game. The laptop does not. The solution is to install the game on the Laptop properly. You should not just copy the registry from the desktop or you may end up with a completly unusable system and have to reinstall everything.

Let me get this straight...you copied the game install folder to an external drive, then connected this to a different computer (one on which EU was never installed previously, I'm guessing), copied it over to THAT computer's C: drive, then tried to launch it...?

Well, have you tried downloading & installing the game on that computer? I realize you don't have the best connection but that still might be your solution. These aren't the days of Windows 3.11 where you can just copy a program folder over. A lot more happens when you install a game, it's not just a few .INI files anymore. Windows Registry needs to be updated with your software settings, and this doesn't happen if you just copy over a program folder and then try to execute the launcher.

Download the software, burn it on a DVD, take it to your other computer and install it, and see if that works...let us know what happens.

Good luck!

Let me get this straight...you copied the game install folder to an external drive, then connected this to a different computer (one on which EU was never installed previously, I'm guessing), copied it over to THAT computer's C: drive, then tried to launch it...?
Good luck!

Basically yes.

Shall I assume I misinterpreted the following thread and the game still needs installation on the new computer? (it's only a few interesting posts to check there)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/technical/94324-portable-entropia-universe.html

The problem I am having with my wireless connection is that it has data limitation and if I download the game again I will have serious chances of exceeding this limit soon :(

I will have a chance to download the game next neek from another connection, however, I would like to be set for tomorrow's WoF round :D

I 'll wait for a few more replies if there is any possible way.

Thanks,
Tromos

Most of that thread just confirms it. "Downloading the game" to wherever does not mean "copying" it, it means actually downloading the software from MA, whether directly to a drive or to a DVD, followed by installing it.

I find nowadays, people mistakenly use the verb "download" for several things. My parents are bad for that. They'll connect a camera to the computer and "download" the images. They'll insert a program DVD and "download" the program. :)

"Downloading" in it's correct definition means you are obtaining data from somewhere else via the internet. Files are transferring from some remote computer through to your hard disk, across the internet. ;)

EDIT: Tromos, on the computer where EU *was* installed, maybe you have the installer still sitting around in your download folder...? Do a search for entropia_installer.exe, it's about 1 GB so you'll need to burn it to a DVD (or copy it to a USB memory stick or whatever). Then copy that file to the other PC and install it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies... The only thing I actually had to do was to download and install the 4mb installer instead of the whole thing. And it worked.

The bad news is that after the installation and a small update it says my graphics card is not good enough :(

1000 EFDs distributed to the most useful answer... thank you :cool:

You're welcome, glad it worked out for you! And thanks for the EFD's...if it were PEDs, I'd have just scored my first uber in 5+ years! But alas... :laugh:

Back