Flying Competition

andyzammy

Marauder
Banned
hello all. just to report that since i bought my hangar, i've been using it fairly regularly, but not overdoing myself :) I really love it, and i can say w/o any doubt at all that i will not be selling it at all unless i can find an even better investment in PE :D

very recently, the pilots who use the queue system have come into some serious competition by rival pilot(s). not naming any names - this isnt a name-and-shame or bitch thread
these charge very low prices comared to the others, and they skip the pilot queue, so they are always "working". this is cool, and although i don't like it, its perfectly allowed for them to do this, so im fine with it.

however, since these pilots showed up, i (and im guessing here, the other pilots too) have been asked a few times by customers why our prices are so high. its a fair enough question, and i feel it so important to answer (so people dont feel we're robbing them blind) that i post it here on EF, for everyone to see, and also for the people who no doubt are going to ask the same question in the future.

the answer is quite simple:
these pilots can afford to charge such cheap prices because they queue jump, so they're always at the front of the line. this means they fill up their ships very very quickly (well, who wouldnt go for the cheaper prices and quicker times over the long route?), while the rest of the pilots have to wait for each other to finish, and for the newer cheap pilots to leave (because when they're "on duty", they're always at the front of the queue, both at cnd and twins). its not an easy task using the queue system, as it can take a long time to fill a ship, and so it can take hours to get to the front of the line. i think it only fair that us pilots get paid for our time, because if we didnt give you our time, you would find it harder to get into space.

i intended this to be a notice, and an answer to the question some people have began asking, and i hope it came out that way.

thanks.

Hhmm, well, the first thought that comes to me is:

Since the "queue system" is responsible for increasing costs, doesn't it make sense in a capitalistic system for someone to throw that concept right out the window?

That brings up 2 questions Andyzammy:

1. Do you participate in the "queue system"?
  2. Do you think it's a good idea?

I'm not making judgments about flight prices. These are just things your post made me think of.

im not 100% sure that the queue system is the reason for increasing costs. i havent been around all that long. my opinion is that the costs are justified by the way the queue system works.

JohnCapital said:
doesn't it make sense in a capitalistic system for someone to throw that concept right out the window?
i'll answer that question with another one.

JohnCapital said:
Do you participate in the "queue system"?

yes, i use the queue system.

JohnCapital said:
Do you think it's a good idea?
JohnCapital said:
doesn't it make sense in a capitalistic system for someone to throw that concept right out the window?

i think its the best idea possible using what we're given to work with. i personally don't see any other solution to the problem. in fact, there is no problem as long as everybody participates. even then, it is not a problem to the cheaper guy who jumps queues. to him, its an edge. but in order to use that edge he has to sacrifice proffit. i use the queue system because its obvious that there are a lot of other pilots out there (hell, within the 1st few days i got 20 of them onto fl). and we all want to do the same thing. if everybody was to do the same thing these cheaper pilots do, there'd be chaos. this is why most wouldnt do that. again, its down to the people to come up with a working solution, and they work with each other. not because they have to - its not in the rules, and its not the only way that they're able to do it: its because its the best way for everyone. thats what i love about this game.

And those are fine answers. Like I said, I'm not adding my opinions in here, just wanting to hear more about your thoughts on the pilot situation. Thanks.

I'm well aware of the difficult time pilots have, and appreciate all the time that goes into the peds you make on your business.

However, if a pilot is going to offer drastically lower rates (10 ped less each way, I believe at the moment?) then I don't think the standard queue should apply.

Think about it from the PASSENGER perspective rather than your own. Why should they have to either pay more or wait longer just so that the pilots feel like the system is being fair? If you had to wait for Burger King to sell out of their $3 burgers before you could buy a similar burger from McDonalds for $1, that wouldn't be very fair to you.

Or think about it from that other pilot's perspective. What if a couple of pilots decided they were going to RAISE their prices to 35 ped. And people refused to fly with them because their prices were higher then they liked. Would you be so ready to enforce the pilot line queue if you were 3rd pilot behind those flights with higher prices that took forever to fill?

This is a free market environment, and not everyone runs their business the same way.

As to your comment about why the discount pilots can afford to sell at 15 ped -- I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not they wait in line. Even selling at 15 ped, with a full ship there is still 10-15 ped profit to the pilot (that's each way, btw). This has it's own risks/disadvantages -- such as not being able to afford to leave a seat empty -- but it's a risk that those pilots have decided to take. Some pilots can't afford it because they are paying a rental fee to a hangar owner -- maybe those pilots should re-evaluate the amount of rent they are paying, instead of justifying increased prices to customers to cover it.

And while we're on the subject of pilots respecting each other, I've talked to the two discount pilots and have heard some really bad stories of things other pilots have done to them in the last few days. Bad mouthing, calling them scammers in front of customers, arguing with them publically, even signing up as fake passengers in an effort to stall flights. This reminds me of last time this happened and pilots blocked the entrance to a couple of hangars (BTW, those accounts got locked, in case anyone had any ideas of recreating that scene). It is this sort of mafia-mentality and action that is giving the pilots a bad name. I find it disgusting and can assure you that I will not be giving any business to any pilot I hear behaving in such a way.

+rep Felicity

Greedy pilots is the main reason I don't fly. I could see myself a lot more on CND with lower flight prices. If the cheap pilots step forward they'll get my +rep aswell.

What i don't understand from the last couple of posts and from the other thread by the seller himself is why you can praise the pilot for his cheap flights when the sole reason he can offer these prices is because he cuts in front of everyone else who waits in line. To be honest i would rather pay the 25 ped than fly with someone who rants about a pilot "mafia" and doesn't care about anyone else but himself. But maybe that's just me :lam:
And from my personal experiences any badmouthing in front of people has been from the pilot offering the cheap flights, not the other way round.

Flying

Hi there,

There is a solution - there are lots of good ideas too that can/may work. Ma just isnt doing much to look into it.. No in flight Movie 95% of people want that.

The line system isnt making flights more expensive or slower..

The idea of it is to stop people fighting over flights & seats & stop 5 pilots calling out all the time.. less spamm..:rolleyes:

Santa_standardBan.jpg

Solution...

1. Get 4 friends together - call the pilot you like that has the tp you all have. Book in advance..

2. If on your own, Call well in advance of flying, 4 seats can be filled up, over time not in 1 min. ask if you can reserve a seat & would like to go within the next hour..

If you don't like the pilot & he's no good, dont fly with him/her simple..

The cost, well if your in a rush, you may want to pay more.
If you have no peds you may want to wait & find a cheaper flight.
If you want a flight promptly, call a pilot that will look after you.

The line system is all we have or its just fighting back stabbing - angry behaviour / masses of spamming & a whats the point in playing the game if thats what happens.

Moonfish
Have a nice flight

11_206947-2.jpg

Reactions: jak
However, if a pilot is going to offer drastically lower rates (10 ped less each way, I believe at the moment?) then I don't think the standard queue should apply.

Think about it from the PASSENGER perspective rather than your own. Why should they have to either pay more or wait longer just so that the pilots feel like the system is being fair? If you had to wait for Burger King to sell out of their $3 burgers before you could buy a similar burger from McDonalds for $1, that wouldn't be very fair to you.
its not the customers that have to wait though, its the pilots. for very long periods too at some points, where the ped (in the customers eyes is expensive) is very hardly worth it.

Or think about it from that other pilot's perspective. What if a couple of pilots decided they were going to RAISE their prices to 35 ped. And people refused to fly with them because their prices were higher then they liked. Would you be so ready to enforce the pilot line queue if you were 3rd pilot behind those flights with higher prices that took forever to fill?
there has actually been one time where i had just gotten to the front of the queue, and my 1st customer wanted to fly up now for 60ped or somthing. i didnt want to do that, as i felt that if i give it more time then i will eventualy fill the seats. they then said that they really wanted to go right now so they were going to ask the next pilot. i said "ok, gl!" and left it at that. no probs. the next pilot flew them up for that price. meanwhile, i managed to fill all 4 seats so i did end up better off than i would have just flying with 1 passenger.
and yes, i would wait in line or either log off if another pilot had raised his prices. i wouldnt push in.

As to your comment about why the discount pilots can afford to sell at 15 ped -- I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not they wait in line.
i think it has quite a lot to do with this: they are in front of the queue. coupled with their very cheap prices, they fill up streight away, or at least a damn site quicker than the rest of us fill up. now, they may only get 20ped proffit/flight, but they would make more proffit/hr than us because we wouldnt do as many flights as they would in an hour. (btw, i dont think pilots would charge 10ped/seat because thats what it costs to fly the ship, so either they're being generous or they wana get down asap - i doubt people would do this regularly.)

And while we're on the subject of pilots respecting each other, I've talked to the two discount pilots and have heard some really bad stories of things other pilots have done to them in the last few days. Bad mouthing, calling them scammers in front of customers, arguing with them publically, even signing up as fake passengers in an effort to stall flights. This reminds me of last time this happened and pilots blocked the entrance to a couple of hangars (BTW, those accounts got locked, in case anyone had any ideas of recreating that scene). It is this sort of mafia-mentality and action that is giving the pilots a bad name. I find it disgusting and can assure you that I will not be giving any business to any pilot I hear behaving in such a way.
i have also heard storys like this, and i don't like it. im not sure how people define normal pilots from mafia mob, but i hope the stereotype is not "uses the queue system and 'overcharges'"

general prices for flighs is a debate for another forum, i just wanted to make clear my personal opinion for why we all don't start lowering prices to match that of the cheap pilots.

Good Point Fliss,

I've been called names by these these Pilots you talk of - one called me a liar in full chat - i did nothing & wasnt event talking to them..

Yes i too have had fake passigers....

Who is doing that too me & why.. Maybe its not the people you think Fliss.

ok firstly,as some of u know,im not a pilot but i do work for one,no names will be given since zammy said there wont be any name callings in this post.i kidna followed up on this situation and its kinda a bad thing for everyone,yes for passangers too.before i explain that i wana say one thing:
i appologise on behalf of everyone to everyone about name callings and other stuff,not that i was involved,just wana show sime diplomacy here.maybe not everyone knows what stress involves in being a pilot,i dont know exactly either but i can imagine and i heard how it is.and im sure those words and acts were done cause of stress and ego and other similar stuff.that being said i will state my oppinion on the pilot line.
imagine 6 pilots in the same place yelling to get their ship full,each compeeting in price or other methods to attract clients,just stop for a moment and imagine the chaos,im sure u all can do that.pilot line is for the porpouse to keep things civilized and that every pilot gets a chance to fly in an orderly fashion.dont forget i am looking at this from both pilot and passanger view since i am a passanger but also work with a pilot.sure there are no price competitions but hey,arent we all looking to fly fast?whats 10 peds anyway?now try to see my point,line=civilized behavior,no fights between pilots,no name calling,ranting,insulting and other activities like those.
now lets look at how it is now,2 pilots flying for less and always at the front of the line,sure ppl fly for less and fast,but how about the other pilots?they just sit there for hours and hours waiting to get a few passangers who dont agree with those other 2 pilots.they get stressed,tired,ppl do strange things under those circumstances,like calling names,insulting and etc,im sure they regret it later,wish they could turn back the time and approach them in a more diplomatical way.
anyway i hope u all got my point,im not good with worths or such,i just want everyone to work out nicely,respect eachother and just have fun in this game,everyone as in pilots passangers and well everyone :)

u all should shake hands,appologise and use the line,so we all are happy,all pilots get a fair chance at flying and get more ppl traveling.

TC

I remember one reason why the pilot line was implemented...

It was to cover the costs of taking trips with less than 4 passengers.

Because of Events and other things on CND, there were times were most of the active pilots were stuck at cnd with no one to bring down and there were still people planet side who wanted to go up. None of the pilots would fly down empty to get these passengers because it ment a surfire loss. The queue system was implemented to buffer that loss and allow for pilots to make enough each way to cover a loss for one way.

This has evolved to the current situation where no pilots will fly down for less most of the time in order to gain the most profit. Which isn't a terrible thing but when a pilot realizes the situation and takes advantage of it, then they all start to complain because it cuts into their bottom line. Perhaps they need to re-evaluate their business plans...

burnsey with all due respect u are wrong,point me out one pilots who was not first in line to not go down to pick up 4 ppl who were sure to fly back up.

This is not the point -

I flew 3 flights down on Friday night empty to pick up - I Know 3 other pilots too that do this ... & no i wasn't paid for it...

The line is there to stop 10 pilots fighting as Tc just said, & i've had a fight with him & we both woke up to realize that, it's not fun & pointless to our being here...

Seems to me that friendship, friends & having a nice time, is not important to some people.. well god luck to them:yay:

Love & peace (& Trees)
Moonfish

This has evolved to the current situation where no pilots will fly down for less most of the time in order to gain the most profit. Which isn't a terrible thing but when a pilot realizes the situation and takes advantage of it, then they all start to complain because it cuts into their bottom line. Perhaps they need to re-evaluate their business plans...

imagine 6 pilots in the same place yelling to get their ship full,each compeeting in price or other methods to attract clients,just stop for a moment and imagine the chaos,im sure u all can do that.pilot line is for the porpouse to keep things civilized and that every pilot gets a chance to fly in an orderly fashion.dont forget i am looking at this from both pilot and passanger view since i am a passanger but also work with a pilot

TC
well said TC

some of you remember before the pilot line when the control room and twin both had 5 pilots with 2 seats filled each because there was not a line that was the reason for creating it

one ship fills faster then 5 do hopefully it all settles down soon

price of rides

How can anyone think that the line system for pilots is not raising the price?
The pilots all got together agreed on a price of 20 ped for 4 passengers and 25 ped for 3 then some got greedy and started charging 25 ped all the time and made the line system. Now they all seem to want 25 ped all the time. Granted the line is good but it is a free market socity and if some one is offering the same service 5 ped cheaper I am all over it. For a round trip I can save 10 ped and thats 10 more ped to help with my minnig. I am sorry if some pilots decided to pay 75k for a hanger and now someone else is undercutting their price GET A CLUE thats how the whole game is.
When hanger owners went looking to buy that hanger where they offering more then the price that the hanger was up for sale for. Probly not so why should we pay more. I am happy to see some pilots offering better prices for travel. :twocents: :twocents: thats a bonus 4 cents

RR1 if u think that,then,with all due respect,u are cheap and dont know what respect for EVERYONE means,i still stick to my statement as of why the line was made,other theories are just ways to make the pilots look bad.
Look at it this way,atleast here in my country when a cab company changes their fees,all others change them to compeete.u dont see the same price on cabs u saw an year ago do u?fuel price changes,thus cab prices change too,taxes change,fees change too.its all about dynamic economy or wat ever its called.Everyone manipulates prices,its the human nature to be somewhat greedy and to want more,but that doesnt mean you dont have to respect ppl.look in ur RL,happens everywhere,prices get manipulated and ppl go with it,its the change,nothing stays the same,ppl adapt to it.ppl adapted to the new price of 25 too,everyone was happy,pilots and constumers,now they came in and look at what happend,ppl hateing eachother,theories coming up to try to blame someone/something that ppl learnt to deal with.
Those who didnt want to pay 5 ped more were just cheap and greedy.
anyway point here is all about respect.respect and u will be respected.

burnsey its a change,live with it,everyone has.
and thats what they are doing now,manipulating the market,when they are on they chose what other pilots should do and for how much ppl fly,now isnt that a mafia?

and thats what they are doing now,manipulating the market,when they are on they chose what other pilots should do and for how much ppl fly,now isnt that a mafia?

LOL what?

please explain

what part dont u get?

When they are on they chose what other pilots should do?

It looks like to me that when they are on, they choose what every they want to do that makes good business sense to them. What other people do is of no consequence. They are not manipulating anything but doing what works for themselves...

As for prices, oil has stayed relatively stable for the past year(around 115%), Feb 05-Feb 06. If you want some proof check here.
http://peauction.com/itemlisting.php?id=34

Scarcity of resources isn't causing the price of flights to increase so what is?

i ment,when they are on,they control the flying since they fill up before the rest of the pilots.

as for price change,its just a change,do u wear same underwear for a whole mounth?do u wear the same pair of socks all week?
why didnt the real oil price stay the same over the past 10 years?why didnt the $ have the same value in other curencies?
answer is simple.changes

PS:back to the line,as far as i know the line was used far before the price changed to 25,right?

i ment,when they are on,they control the flying since they fill up before the rest of the pilots.

as for price change,its just a change,do u wear same underwear for a whole mounth?do u wear the same pair of socks all week?
why didnt the real oil price stay the same over the past 10 years?why didnt the $ have the same value in other curencies?
answer is simple.changes

PS:back to the line,as far as i know the line was used far before the price changed to 25,right?

You're arguments don't make much sense, you can't compare underwear to virtual space ships. I for one sometimes do wear my socks all week so :p

Your simplistic argument that changes just happen and are to be accepted just isn't sufficient.

Why don't you read this thread
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12840&highlight=pilot+line

Apparently there was no line before this one, I think this is one of the threads that began the "Mafia"

As for arguing for or against, a couple simple searches will probably bring up anything you can or probably will say. It's all be said ad nauseum already, do you have anything new to bring to the argument or do you just wanna line the pockets of the pilots?

Last edited:
as i stated im not too good with words,specialy coz its 6 am and ima hit the sack after this reply,those are my arguments,if u get my point then good,if u dont get good too.nn

Everyone knows it...this thread is really about me and my prices...

im gunna lay it out...

Cost of a flight up = 45.00 ped (basicly)

15ped per seat = 60.00ped

60.00ped - 45.00ped = 15ped profit

The way i can afford this is by getting as many passangers and flights up and down as i can...

one day i took about 11 or 12 flights during peak times on the weekends i think it was...

12(flights) X 15(pedsprofit) = 180.00 peds (totalprofit)

i do admit that i work for my flights...i go to differnt towns and have things moving as fast as possible....at my prices you got to...no time to wait in a line...or stand around...got to work for your passengers..

and no offence to any other pilot...but 25 peds is a joke...

45peds(cost) - 100peds(total) = 55peds (total profit)

the fact that i take a lot more flights....equals out on profit as you can see...
but also...in the past weeks i have made over 100s of contacts that add me to friends......and have had 4 or 5 different times where 4 people were at my hangar waiting for me...when i flew down or up ect....which in the future will cuase me to probably run even more than 12 flights in a day....also thou...every time i log in....i get pmed right away....and can get 2-3 seats full in a matter of seconds....

In the end,this is a bussiness plan...i really dont mind anyone else using it...1 person who i shared this info was....guy named johnny...and i can imagine he is doing just as good as i am :)

it is a free market socity and if some one is offering the same service 5 ped cheaper I am all over it. For a round trip I can save 10 ped and thats 10 more ped to help with my minnig. I am sorry if some pilots decided to pay 75k for a hanger and now someone else is undercutting their price GET A CLUE thats how the whole game is.

RR1 if u think that,then,with all due respect,u are cheap and dont know what respect for EVERYONE means,i still stick to my statement as of why the line was made,other theories are just ways to make the pilots look bad.
....[blah blah cut from middle]....
Those who didnt want to pay 5 ped more were just cheap and greedy.
anyway point here is all about respect.respect and u will be respected.

No offense, TCat, and nothing personal .. but I think this is an example of why customers are tired of the pilot price-fixing and the attitude toward customers.

I think RR1 represents more of a typical passenger than you might realize. In fact, I know people who have quit flying since the price was raised from 20 to 25 ped, partially out of principle and partially due to the added 10 ped round-trip expense. I myself am flying much less because of that added cost.

To simply discount the passenger's opinion by calling them cheap isn't fair, and it's not how I would want to be treated as a potential passenger. What happened to "customer is always right"?

I keep hearing this "respect other pilots" type comments. While I agree that it is great that the pilots are able to get along and work out a process that works best for them, I do think that they can get so set in their process and all the pilots getting their fair share that they forget about the passengers altogether.

What you forget is that it's not just peds in a trade window that pop up automatically because you waited in line for your turn to collect. This is a free market, and there are people behind those peds ... and they control which trade window they put them in. Give them a reason to choose you over the cheap guy -- but calling them cheap isn't the approach I'd recommend.

So far, your arguments have been things like "that's how it's always been," and "people get used to paying more." I *KNOW* both sides of this issue and the arguments for why the queue works, and yet your points are not helping me understand why I should pay more so you can have your turn in line.

While I may be one of those "cheap" people who values my 10 ped and will take that cheaper flight, I also am watching those pilots that are behaving poorly in response to a couple of rogue hangar operators ... their actions far outweigh any harm that is being done by lowering prices and ignoring the established queue. I can assure you that I'm seeing who is worthy of my hard earned ped and who will never see a single pec -- and I dont think I'm the only one who feels this way.

"You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you." — Brian Tracy

Everyone knows it...this thread is really about me and my prices...

im gunna lay it out...

Cost of a flight up = 45.00 ped (basicly)

15ped per seat = 60.00ped

60.00ped - 45.00ped = 15ped profit

The way i can afford this is by getting as many passangers and flights up and down as i can...

one day i took about 11 or 12 flights during peak times on the weekends i think it was...

12(flights) X 15(pedsprofit) = 180.00 peds (totalprofit)

i do admit that i work for my flights...i go to differnt towns and have things moving as fast as possible....at my prices you got to...no time to wait in a line...or stand around...got to work for your passengers..

and no offence to any other pilot...but 25 peds is a joke...

45peds(cost) - 100peds(total) = 55peds (total profit)

the fact that i take a lot more flights....equals out on profit as you can see...
but also...in the past weeks i have made over 100s of contacts that add me to friends......and have had 4 or 5 different times where 4 people were at my hangar waiting for me...when i flew down or up ect....which in the future will cuase me to probably run even more than 12 flights in a day....also thou...every time i log in....i get pmed right away....and can get 2-3 seats full in a matter of seconds....

In the end,this is a bussiness plan...i really dont mind anyone else using it...1 person who i shared this info was....guy named johnny...and i can imagine he is doing just as good as i am :)

thanks for posting rh, im glad you did.
it shows that its not only the queue system pilots who are out for a proffit. and thats not a bad thing at all. lets be honest, thats why we all invested in a hangar in the first place. we're all trying to run a business. your post shows that we're (the queue system pilots) are in fact not better off just because we charge more. i knew that your method would bring more in, though i was afraid of the uproar that would cause with the other pilots (as they've invested too and i felt like i'd kinda be stealing from them), so i chose not to use it, to play it the safe way and i just got in line like everyone else, and stuck to a system that i knew worked.

also, its worth noting that the current situation will only take so much strain. if the other pilots are only just starting to notice the potential of using the "cheap pilot method" (sorry, sounds like a cheesy crappy name but it hasnt got one yet lol - best i could come up with), and want in on the action, then eventually we'll all be back to the stage 1 horror storys of everyone shouting at the same time over each other with highly competative prices.

again, i didnt intend to make this thread to sling mud at names, i just wanted to voice my personal opinion about this current situation. i wish all pilots gl, even those like rh, who have the balls to do what i am to afraid to.

An interesting thread :)

I think the queue system is a great way to keep spam down and let the passengers know who is flying and progress on seats sold. Provided it doesn't get abused i.e unreasonable price hikes etc.

I can also see where the cheaper/"queue jumping" pilots are coming from. If I had a hangar I wouldn't want to spend my time stood around waiting for 30 minutes to get to my place in the queue and then spend 15 minutes shouting to fill a ship another 5-10 minutes getting people to the ship and collecting fares for a 25 second flight (all times are assumed btw but you get the idea). To me it would be like having to contact the Atrox booking service to make an appointment to kill 1 Atrox in 30 minutes time and then start all over again.

There seems to be little difference in the profit made by either side but as a Brit I am used to queuing in an orderly stiff upper lip kinda way so I will stick with flying via the queue system for now ;).

No stones being thrown, no sides being taken (just because Zammy and I are both in TDO doesn't mean we have to share the same opinions :)) just my thoughts on the subject.

An Offer you Can't Refuse ! (Long read, well worth it)

I hate replying to these threads :mad: but most times they get SOOO freaken off topic, or so full of half truths, and speculation, and input from people who have no clue what the job of a pilot is really like to make them even worth the time to read
However, as the Quote "Don" of the Pilot Mafia, I have to interject some reality to these threads from time to time.

First off, I have no REAL control over pilots or their actions. That said,
The unfortunate reactions of some, trying to hurt, or publicly humiliate these 2 pilots in question, are NOT condoned by the general piloting community !

2nd, I guess i need to give a little backround/history lesson for the newer people wanting in on this discussion.

When hangers were first introduced, everyone was SO excited about space travel, there were alot of people wanting to go. MA had promised new, and exciting opportunities in space, and new ways to strike it rich basically.
After a few weeks of people going up to cp, they realized how much it basically sucked, unless you were close to uber status. (This is way back BEFORE CND was even a wet spot in one of MA's developers dreams.)
At this point, finding passengers willing or wanting to go to CP, became harder and harder. Normally at this time, you MIGHT see one or 2 pilots a week spamming in twin, looking for passengers, most pilot only flew if friends, or someone asked for a flight up. Space travel, for the most part, was dead.
Along comes CND, and NeverDie's million Ped - carnival? Dream Vacation spot? Asteroid Space Club? whatever it seemed to you personally at the time.
WooHoo, Space Travel Has been resurrected once more.
At this Point, Pilots came Running out of the woodwork, or out from what ever rock I/we may have been sleeping under at the time
There were Pilots EVERYWHERE, in every city, spamming all kinds of prices, at all kinds of times, with All Kinds of seats open.
One had 2 open, one has 3 open, one guy needed 1 more to go, one guy had just came on, and couldnt find a city with people wanting to go, where there wasnt a pilot spamming. This one Pilot has his 4th passenger and is ready to go, Great, then, Oops, he goes to Pm his passengers theyre ready to go, and 2 decided, they didnt like his price, they went on another flight, so Our Hero, is back to spamming for 2 more, hoping the 2 he does have, will wait a few more hours for him to find 2 more. (took ages to find 4, since so many available to fly)
This was getting ridiculous for all involved, passengers had a hard time finding a full flight to get on, and pilots were haveing a hard time finding 4 to go with him, since pilots were in every city, TP-ing around looking for people, even the passengers were confused as to where to look for a pilot any given time or day. The prices for the flight at that time, was basically what ever we could get, and still make a ped or 2, causing ALOT of pilots to just hang up their wings, or try to sell the hanger. (right Now, there are still about 30 unused, or personally used hangers, because piloting is so time consuming, with little or no profit for HOURS of work)
About this time in our story, Twin Peaks was emerging as the center of commerce and tradeing of the Free Universe :) Everyone seemed to work their way through Twin Peaks at one point or another during their time in game. This became the Perfect place to look for passengers for all the Rocket Jockys (Pilots, trying to spice up the long read, hehe)
Twin Peaks was FULL of Spam for Tickets, this guy is 15ped a seat, this guy is 30, that one is 20, that one is 12, but has 1 passenger and his hanger is at a bad location, that one is 25 but has 3 people, hes ready to go with me.
I take the 25ped seat, (because i dont feel like waiting for 5 hours for the cheap guy to find 3 more to fly), we run to the hanger. "Where is the 4th guy?" "oh, he took a cheaper flight" "Great, I'll have to go get a 4th guy to fly now, after all, why go with 3 when you can go with 4 and make more". While the pilot is out looking for the 4th passenger, his other 3 passengers found other flights as well, leaving faster, maybe cheaper, but most times just faster.
Our Pilot Friend here, goes like this for a while, same thing happens, day after day, till one day he thinks, "why do i bother, this is such a pain in the ass, I would rather do something else".
There are still plenty of pilots sticking out the BS, for that little bit of ped they can squeeze out of their investment/job (and it IS a full time job, even today, to do well)
These remaining 20 or so pilots are all in Twin Peaks, with different prices, all spamming over each other, all with 1, maybe 2 passengers, one calls the other names, the passengers and players in twin, stick up for their favorites, then theres more yelling and spamming, then actual selling of tickets going on. and NO ONE IS GOING TO SPACE DURING ALL OF THIS !!! and surely not in any kind of timely fashion.
It takes HOURS to find 4 people, and prices have been cut so freaken low by this point by the price wars, NO PILOT would/could fly with less then 4 people, or their cost of oil and decay would be higher then the peds he got from the sales of his seats.
All the Pilots became pretty disgusted with the whole way things were going, they were wasting time, passengers were mad because they could never find a ship full and ready to fly when they wanted, for a price they wanted. The passengers biggest complaint at this time was, they wanted to go to CND, they wanted to go NOW, they didnt want to wait, or bicker, or mess around, they just wanted to get to CND. (or some even CP, but alot of Pilots, didnt even like to go to CP at this time, because, they could make more going to CND)
Along comes Steele, the Real Hero of our tale :yay: (hehe, I had too )
He sees the trouble that is going on for all, and how bad this bickering and fighting is just bad for business all the way around.
He himself a pilot, Knows there HAS to be a better way for all involved.
1, A way to get People wanting to get to space up as fast as possible,
2,as cheap as possible,
3, and still be fair to all the pilots in game, who spend Long hours in game so people CAN get to space, and in the process, make a few peds back on thier time, and investment in the game. (I know, investment dosent mean Crap to alot, but if you invested as much in Time and/or Peds as most of the Pilots, in what ever your profession, you may understand)
This is a hard set of situations that need to ALL be addressed and solved, to make everyone happy, or at least satisfied, on both the Pilots side, as well as the Passengers.
Most Pilots at this time, maybe 85%-90%, had decided, that 20-22ped a seat seemed fair, for their costs vs. profits vs. all the time it took to get a full ship, and, for thier passengers as far as the cost to get to CND. 20ped a seat seemed Ideal.
It was discussed among the pilots, in private, in the open, among rivals, And friends, for a long time. "What was the Biggest Probelm with being a Pilot?" and "What was the Biggest Problem, for the Passengers?"
The answers were always the same, on both sides. Pilots needed passengers, and passengers needed to get to space as soon as freaken possible, they didnt care about the Pilot problems,a nd in most cases, they didnt care to much about price, as long as the price was reasonable. Period.
The answers came easliy at this point, once the BS was brushed away, and thought was used, instead of egos.
We had Most Pilots AND passengers taught to go to Twin Peaks, eather to Sell tickets, or to Buy tickets. This became the Alpha Control (i still like that name) of the Space travel Business. So, getting people and pilots together at the same place and same time was cured. No more Running around TP to TP looking for passengers, and passengers knew where to look for a pilot.
The Price of a seat/ticket seemed to stabilize, 20ped a seat seemed to be normal, the 22ped seats faded away slowly, and passengers were more then willing to pay 20ped to get up fairly quick.
BUT,(big butt, hehe) there was the rub/hard part, how to get them up to space, in a timely fashion? Quickly, to keep them flying, and happy, and coming back again and again? IF we could JUST fill ONE ship at a time, how freaken AWSOME it would be for the passengers. Not to mention, great for that pilot? Fill a Ship, Leave. Fill a Ship, Leave. and so on, and so on, and so on. Passengers got up ASAFP, the way they wanted, because they are ONLY filling ONE ship at a time, instead of trying to fill 10-20. Pilots get to fill ships, fly, and make a small profit for their time, trying to get YOU people to space, so you can do whatever it is you need/want to do up thereand YOU get go go NOW, not next week when your pilot comes on, or tomarrow, or whatever, but ASAFP.
HERE is where someone went along and tryed to explain his idea to all the pilots, HERE is where the pilots understood, something had to change for all involved, HERE is where space travel, because fast and fun for most. (cant please everyone)
HERE, RIGHT HERE, is where the Pilot Cue/Pilot Line, was Born.
Pilots get equal chance at filling thier ship (fill one, leave, next one Fills, and leaves, everyone gets a turn), equal chance at profit (prices were all pretty much the same), equal chance at everything. The pilots became friends (amagine that 0_o), they helped each other (0_o), if one had a Pm for a guy who needed to get up in a hurry, they called or told the next in line to take him for many reasons, get the passenger up in a hurry, or to fill the ship up to bat, so the pilot could sell his tickets faster, eather way, the passenger got his ride, asap. The pilot knew, he would still be able to fill his ship, in a timely fashon, with out alot of hassel/problems, and still make a few peds.
Passengers seemed happy, they got to go to space, faster then ever, at a fairly reasonable price.
Pilots seemed happy, because they knew they would be able to fill their ship each day, with out headaches, or fighting, maybe even several times a day.
And, they Lived, Happily, Ever, After.:ahh: NOT

Passengers Started complaining, "Where are all the Pilots?" "I cant get up to CND as fast as before." "Everytime I go to Twin, theres no Pilots there." As well as many more like those complaints kept comeing.

So where did all the Pilots go anyway?

Well, they are ALL up on CND. Why? Because by this time, the newness/novolty/excitement of the New Super Space Station, were ALL your Mining HOF/UBER/ATH Wet freaken Dreams came true. Maybe MA nerfed the loot pool, maybe they decided they had helped ND promote his Club enough, whatever the reason, the number of passengers going to CND was less and Less, and, The number of passengers comeing DOWN, was even less. They would go up and log out, or stay up there for a longer period of time, or loose peds and give up for a while, whatever the reason for the lack of passengers going down, it was becoming a problem for the pilots, as well as the passengers again :mad:
On a normal day there could be 8-12 pilots in line on CND trying to fill thier ships to fly down, just to try to get more to come up.
This new Problem, was becoming "Bad for Business" again. (godfather quote)
Our Hero, wracked his brain for Weeks, aginized, labored over a solution to the new problem that confronted him. Whats the main problem for pilots and passengers (we been here before)
ANYWAY
The Idea came, how about we raise or rates to 25ped for each ticket, that way, a Pilot could fly up with 3-4 passengers (getting people wanting up wasnt a real big problem yet) then tehy could fly Down with 2-3 and not loose a hell of a lot compared to what they were makeing now. This would shorten the lines on CND, or at least speed them up considerably, because they wouldnt have to wait for a full ship to fly down. HELL, IF they were lucky enough to fly up with 4 passengers, they could (if they wanted/needed to) fly down Totally EMPTY, and still cover the cost of the round trip. Pilots were still pretty happy in general, and they wanted to help the passengers get flights quicker. (yes they really did think about the passengers before higher profits at this point) After all, quicker flights, ment the quicker they could fill thier ships.
Our (ok MY) Hero, took a week out of his busy schedual, to track down as many pilots as he could, to see if this New idea of his had any chance in hell of working.
He spoke with over 30 active pilots, and a few not so active/private services/private pilots.
Most had had enough with the long lines, they were open to almost anything, as long as it didnt take away to much of their ability to make a living flying, and would shorten the lines on CND, and help the passengers.
A couple were reluctant, one said "their passengers wouldnt like them anymore" another said, "My passengers are noobs, they cant afford 25ped" but over all, the pilots agreed with the "Don" something had to be done, and this seemed like a good plan, after all, anything to speed up flights again.
A date for the new prices was agreed apon, and the prices went into effect. Then the Dung hit the fan. DAmn greedy Pilots, how dare they, they make to much as is, oil isnt that expencive, why should they make money when i loose everyday with my loosing peds, and so on, and so on it went in EF for a while.
Till One Day, the lines seemed shorter, there was pilots in Twin Peaks again, passengers were finding a pilot more often when they needed one, the whining posts on EF about greedy pilots and ticket prices seemed to slow, or even stop. There were a few pilots who didnt totally agree with the new rates, they charged a little less, but they respected the other pilots, they were all in the same business, they all wanted the same things, most of them could even be called in game friends. After all there was plenty to go around for ALL the pilots, as long as we all work together. The Cheaper ones, even decided, "ok, the 25ped price wasnt To Bad"
but the whole time the Pilot Line worked, they stuck to the line, because it worked, because they respected each other, and the hard work put in by All the pilots trying to make this the best system for all. The pilots still helped each other, no matter what the prices a certain pilot charged. As long as They Worked Together !! Things were working out well for all once again.
Passengers for the most part, decided, it wasnt that big a deal the extra 5peds, as long as they could fly the way they wanted to, NOW, or asafp.
In general, things seemed to be relaxing back to normal. People were flying, pilots were filling ships, everything Started looking happy again.
But right about HERE, the "Don", started to slowly get complaints again, the Line on CND, Started to grow again, Passengers were PMing him, as well as pilots, saying things were takeing longer again for some reason. A general Uneasy feeling was going around. So, he started watching what was happening. Turns out, a couple of the pilots had started flying with No Less, then 4 passengers, At Any Time. Didnt matter if the line was long or short, if it took longer or not for the passengers, they Just wouldnt fly with less then 4 passengers :scratch2: This didnt make much sence, untill he looked a little deeper into what was really happening.
It turns out, about this time the ability to RENT a hanger is becoming more popular or available. A few pilots had decided, they could make some peds, and still get to do different things in game. They could Rent the ship to some person, who spends all THEIR time looking for passengers, and the owner just has to collect the checks, so to speak, from the renter.
He talks to a few of these Renters, turns out, they are paying alot for rent. Somewhere between 500 and 700ped a week in rent 0_o. The Renters NEEDed 4 passengers to even Hope to make a profit, let alone make rent.
So, the Other Pilots started to see a few only flying with full ships, so they decide, i can make more with 4 passengers, why am i going with less? After all, I wait in this Line, and it takes Me just as long as them, why not fly with no less then a full ship?
There are less passengers flying in general, there are less pilots active, the Line is holding, but its not moveing as fast as we would like anymore, some pilots dont like it, some passengers dont like it, but in general things are still working.
The Pilots call a meeting, they grab the "Don", and get him involved in the meeting, "Something, has to be done!" (yes the Pilots, called the meeting, people can actually love what they do AND work together to make things better for all in this so called Game) During this meeting, they are all equals, they are Pilots. They remind everyone involved, why the prices were raised in the first place. They tell storys of this and that, but in general, the ones there, agreed, they would try it the old way again, flying with less passengers to speed up the line for all. See if it really did help. IT ran smoothly for a week or so. Then slowly for what ever reason this time, a few pilots went back to only flying with 4 people . The lines were not as long as in the past, there was still pilots in Twin most times someone needed a pilot. Some flew with 1, 2, or 3, some with only 4, some would even still fly down empty once in a while, if it was an emergency. Things were far from perfect, but it was working for all. The renters were no longer viewed as upstarts, rogues, or somehow beneith the other pilots, they were pilots too, they had the same problems, and maybe even a few more, they had rent to pay, the other pilots didnt care about rent, but they understood how hard it was to be a pilot.
Every new Pilot got greeted by the other pilots, maybe even helped, they were welcomed into the "Mafia". The Don would seek out these new "Pilots" and help in anyway they needed, they need the exact costs of flying, NP. They need a passenger to fill their load when their selling, NP. Their down on the planet selling, and someones looking for a ride, NP, send them to Twin to so-and-so.
Most of the time, a new Pilot, was just that, a New Pilot, not a damn renter, not something else, but a fellow Pilot!
A few of the renters over the years, and even some of the owners, thought they would "Change the World", they didnt need no stinken lines, they didnt need the other pilots, "Power to the People" and so on, (Insert political/anti Mafia slogan here), Most never lasted long. LONG hours, low pay, riticule from some, lack of passengers for others, couldnt make their rent payments, left the game, whatever, or in general found out how boring being a pilot really was. Most of the "Rogues" just didnt last long. One of the Most Outspoken people on the forum, who just would not listen to reason, hated the "Greedy Pilots", untill a friend of his actually bought a hanger, and started trying to make a business out of it, and he learned, how hard a job it really is. He even said once "I dont know How you guys can do it, standing there for hours"
Its the "Togetherness" the pilots show to one another, that sparked the "Mafia" threads in the first place. This was an Odd thing to see in a game about money, people working against one another, actually working together? This just can Not be happening. Some think "This MUST be squashed !" Some "Death to the Mafia", and others, "Power to the People, Dont fly with the Greedy Mafia Pilots, fly ME, im cheaper", "Look at me, im Bucking the System, Down with the MAN!" "Poor ME, I have ALL the Mafia people Picking on me" "Make me your Martyr, Im here for YOU" "I am doing this so the Regular people get a chance to go to CND and find their Fortune too" "Fly with ME, and Save 10ped!!"
I could go On and On with the "Sales Pitches" ive heard from people like this over the years. Its always the same. There have been many over the years (ok so its only been like 2.5 since we can fly), but they all act, or do the same thing.
There are mainly 2 pilots right now, trying to upset the so called apple cart. One has posted here already, think you can figure out who.
This "Pilot" was welcomed in as a fellow pilot, we helped him, we tought him, the "Don" welcomed him, explained how everything works, offered if he had ANY problems, with other pilots, or anything, Just ASK, if it can be done/helped, it Would be Done. He seemed happy, at least for a while.
Soon after, not real sure of time, maybe a week or two, I start hearing from my pilots again, screaming, crying, just generally upset. Alot of new renters are around now and they have never seen this before, theyre Worried, will they survive? They want to do the right thing, but dont know how or what to do, what does the "Don" suggest?
He Calms everyone, tells storys of the past, and how this has happened before, and if we just stick together, things will be fine.
Our hero looks into the problem, finds out theres 2 "Pilots" causeing an uproar in his other wise quiet work enviroment.
He gets offers to "Break their Knee Caps" "Block Hangers" and other general ways to try to persuade these new upstarts to see things the "Mafia" way. The Don explains, "We dont do those things" they have been tryed before, they not only do not work, but are just plain wrong, some have even been banned for such things. Best to just talk to them, see thier side of things, see why they are doing this, why they didnt like the way things are, who knows, maybe they have a new and different idea how to run things, so its better then before. You never know. Its worth a try.
One day last week, Both "Rogue" pilots were on, Both were Spamming Over the other pilots, undercutting the prices, didnt care about the line, or who was trying to sell. Generally doing thier own thing. I was in Twin at the time, and one was there, but things seemed pretty managable, but on CND it was worse. Pilots fighting, price wars, no one flying, arguments, so on and so on. I had to get up there. I flew up Empty to see waht could be done.
I talked to the pilot everyone was so concerned about. He basicly said "I tryed it your way, i wasnt makeing enough" "the hell with your Line, and the other pilots, this way i can do 3 times the flights you guys do, and make more" It seemed the only People he cared about Helping wasnt the Down troden poor and the masses, it was only his pockets and profits.
Now in his defence, i did not have alot of time to talk to him, he had to log off. So i didnt get the complete story. I did how ever treat him with the same repect i give all pilots. At the time, i didnt know that some people had treated him badly, i also talked to some of them, and asked if they would back off. One of the offenders i wasnt able to get to before this thread started, but i will. The pilots in general Do Not, condone hurting of someone elses business.
I and the other pilots Do Not Care, ill repeat that, "I and the other pilots Do Not Care" what he charges, we dont generally care if he PAYS his passengers to fly with him. If he fills his ships 4 times an hour, more power to him. We Only ask that If these certain Pilots use Twin Peaks or the Control room, to Please stick to the pilot line. Its not a big request, wont hurt him or the people who like to fly with him, he can do alot of his business through PMs if he wants to, he can charter flights to groups, or anything he wants to, however by sticking with the lines in just these 2 areas, it WILL prevent reverting back to the Koas that was space travel before, where everyone spammed, in all the towns, looking for those few passengers they still need to fill a ship to fly. Where Very little actual flying was being done, and more fights and bickering was going on. Where pilots would rather knit, and pluck out their eyes then look for passengers.
Thank you for reading the Pilot Mafia Story, took me most of the night to write it.
I hope it clears up all the BS floating around, and some of the rumors. I also hope it explains how hard it is to be a pilot, so more will understand where we are coming from. ( not that i expect to many to read all the way through this book, hehe)
Signed, Your Don, Steele

Back