Four years ago

seamaster

Guardian
Society
United People of Calypso (UPC)
Dexter Seamaster Warlock
...I release something called The Change. In this paper I tried to explain my thoughts regarding the mining skills. I did some extensive studies on CND since it is a skill gain heaven and small enough to study due to its rather small domes.

http://web.telia.com/~u38402656/ftp/TheChange.pdf

Well I am back on CND again doing some followups. In The Change I was thrilled about the perception skill gain and have been ever since.

The strange thing running on CND four years later and with higher skills is that I now have a very low perception skill gain and more of CGA and Geology. And the most interesting skill gain is Geology. More the 8 of 10 Geology skill gain has revealed a hit next to my bombspot. Next to means 40-50 meters around the bombspot (i.e. max 8 possible bombspots). In other words it works like I described Perception in "The Change" paper.

/Seamaster

Subscribing.. sounds interesting :)

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

One screenshot is a lucky shot so I'll keep em coming.

Do you always stand in the center of a circle when dropping a bomb?

Not sure what you mean with "standing in the center of the circle."

Pic 2.

Pic 2: Got Geo @ 68405,68499.
Moved range*2 (40+) to 68363,68509 missed.
Ran over to the other side 40+ from 68405 and hit @ 68440,68507.

In my way Geo helps me find a claim.

Aha - well I try to find a good start coordinate like even tens X=68020, next X=68060 and so on. Since the coords are different now on CND I just start at a specific "even" x,y coord and run.

So in other words - not really. The appendix was more a way to mark a spot and be sure to know if you have bombed it or not. Nothing more irritating then bombing a spot twice - some ppl do but I've never had any real luck doing so.

subscribing will read it later ...looks interesting.

Geology is the new Perception:wtg:
Skill gain Prospector since 6/06:cool:

Oh wow, nice PDF. Pity we shot ourselves in the foot back then. If skill gain theory is correct, the resources are NOT located in the ground. Allow me to explain, it's really simple when you think about it, a little problem called lag.

Yip latency, when you get a skill gain, it occurs at the same time you blew a bomb, now hear me out on this. Next the detector and bomb scan the area for a resource, there is a delay there, if the resources in the ground theory is correct, it explains this "lag", typically accessing a DB and obtaining a result.

Skillgain blows this away as it tells you where to mine. This is NOT possible, it will take a lot longer to access the DB storing mining sites, hence the lag waiting for bomb results

"It looks like skill gains are placed like deposits too except they do not hold any ore." Awesome. No server side mining database, no coordinates. I like that idea more than the old "the ground contains ore" rubbish.

L*R

What can I say.

When Rattexx speak time stops.... ;)

Anyway lag or not I can deliver more screenshots. So it is up to each person to interpret the Geo skill gain.

If any except me can confirm this I guess we have a more interesting disussion.

Peace R4tt3xx - just a few of us left :)

Interesting theory, subscribing to see more.

tried skill reading today, and it worked..
will provide you with screenies from now on

Btw. i just think of something
when you're a higher level, skill gain is slower..
Does this mean you have less opportunities to use skill gain than a noob?

Last edited:
Seamaster, have you tried my theories? ie cga is 180* in front of you and geo is 180* behind? distance * 2

Seamaster, have you tried my theories? ie cga is 180* in front of you and geo is 180* behind? distance * 2

No I havent. I can try since Geo and CGA skill gains is rather common at CND.

I've talked to some ppl and my figures "8 of 10 is hits" might be a bit to high. Some say 4 of 10 and some 6 of 10.

The interesting thing is that Amping can be used in a more cost effective way if this Geo skill gain is worth anything.

No I havent. I can try since Geo and CGA skill gains is rather common at CND.

I've talked to some ppl and my figures "8 of 10 is hits" might be a bit to high. Some say 4 of 10 and some 6 of 10.

The interesting thing is that Amping can be used in a more cost effective way if this Geo skill gain is worth anything.
i'll pm you some info also that i found out a day ago.

"It looks like skill gains are placed like deposits too except they do not hold any ore." Awesome. No server side mining database, no coordinates. I like that idea more than the old "the ground contains ore" rubbish.

L*R

Well once again I can only tell what I see. When I find a claim (without any skill gain) it is common that I get a Geo skill gain somewhere around this claim (40-50 m on CND).

So when reading that skill gains are placed like deposits it sort of supports what I can see.

Still one mans voice is not enough here. I am waiting for more input.

I did a bit of mining last night, not very much mind you, my ingame funds are now depleted. However it would seem that the mining sites and possibly skillgains move around regardless of the avatar's interaction. In other words things move on their own accord, mining sites included.

And the most interesting skill gain is Geology. More the 8 of 10 Geology skill gain has revealed a hit next to my bombspot. Next to means 40-50 meters around the bombspot (i.e. max 8 possible bombspots).

Holy crap that's a revelation! So if you get a Geology gain, and then bomb no less than EIGHT TIMES around where you got the gain, one of those will be a hit?

Drop eight bombs at RANDOM and you'll likely get a hit. 1 in 8 is a 12.5% hit rate. You should be able to do better than that dropping bombs wherever you like.

The part I love is that it works more than 8 out of 10 times you try it. 80% of the time it works 100% of the time! Oh yeah! :thumbup::laugh:

Holy crap that's a revelation! So if you get a Geology gain, and then bomb no less than EIGHT TIMES around where you got the gain, one of those will be a hit?

Drop eight bombs at RANDOM and you'll likely get a hit. 1 in 8 is a 12.5% hit rate. You should be able to do better than that dropping bombs wherever you like.

The part I love is that it works more than 8 out of 10 times you try it. 80% of the time it works 100% of the time! Oh yeah! :thumbup::laugh:

I don't get the 8 round a central point either, it's 6 max around a center.

I don't get the 8 round a central point either, it's 6 max around a center.

The way I see it, if skill gain mining really works, you should be able to tell me where to drop my VERY NEXT bomb with something like 90% accuracy. If I have to drop eight more bombs, or even six, to "guarantee" a hit, then we're just playing the odds that you'll get a hit in that time.

Try this one: mine while watching TV. Pay attention to when the commercials start. As soon as they start, that means you will have a hit somewhere in the six "hexagonal" areas around you.

Bet you come up with the same results... ;)

The way I see it, if skill gain mining really works, you should be able to tell me where to drop my VERY NEXT bomb with something like 90% accuracy. If I have to drop eight more bombs, or even six, to "guarantee" a hit, then we're just playing the odds that you'll get a hit in that time.

Try this one: mine while watching TV. Pay attention to when the commercials start. As soon as they start, that means you will have a hit somewhere in the six "hexagonal" areas around you.

Bet you come up with the same results... ;)

nope, actually and this is a bit depening on if ur on the planet or cnd, cnd works a bit differently.

but on planet 2 skills have 3 possible spots to drop on but you dont know the type, the other 2 skills tell you 6 possible spots but tell you what type also. Couple this with a vein and you can be pretty sure on where to drop :)

I wonder if you mine at CND? Dropping 50 bombs in a row with no hit is not uncommon. Any indication where to drop a bomb is welcome up there.

Maybe my english is not that good but I guess a bunch of ppl understand that I mean that 80% of the Geo skill gains results in a claim next to it.

Maybe my english is not that good but I guess a bunch of ppl understand that I mean that 80% of the Geo skill gains results in a claim next to it.

I had one more example yesterday ...

A Geo skill gain with 2 bombs left and 2 potential spots to bomb on CND
1st of the 2 was NRF, 2nd one with last bomb ... 558 peds Ignisium :D

Back