Fullscreen screenshot not working

AngieAngelina

Mature
Society
Natural Born Killers
Angelina Angie Sparkx
Perhaps it is just me, but another soc member confirmed this

Whenever I run Entropia Universe in fullscreen mode, I am unamble to take a screenshot. That is, when pasted in mspaint, there is only a plain black image.

When I hover the mouse cursor over the EU icon in the taskbar, the preview window also shows a plain black image, it there something wrong with the game?

None of this occurs when the game is running in window mode, so I would say it is only limited to fullscreen mode. Furthermore note that I run Entropia Universe on Windows7 64bit. Perhaps this issue only arrises on the 64bit W7, perhaps they occur in both 32bit and 64bit.

So I ask that anyone else take a 'print screen' when the game is running in fullscreen mode, and paste it to a program like mspaint. Do you get a nice screeny, or are you only presented with a plain black image?

When replying with your result, please be consise:
which OS were you running EU on, and what was the result of your 'screenshot'.

I have the same problem in 32 bit Vista and 32 bit Windows 7.

In Windows 7 not even Entropia Tracker works.

You can use Fraps, it works well in Vista and Windows 7

I have the same problem. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and taking screenshots in full screen mode and pasting to paint just gives me a black screen. I had to switch to windowed mode to take screenshots yesterday.

I did try Fraps and couldn't get it to work with EU for some reason. With the work people are doing on fixing Xfire to detect EU I'm hoping that I can use that to take screenshots, but I'll have to try that when I get home.

bumpy bump.

I realize now that this tread perhaps would have been better posted in the technical section of the forum. If an admin or moderator reads this, could you move this topic.

Please, could someone running EU on an MS operating system other than Windows7 confirm wether they also experience this problem or not.

I don't know about the issue you're having - sorry can't help there.

But I can say, like many others here, that Fraps is a kick-ass screenshot program !!

It's free and so much easier than how you capture screenshots, now.

You don't have to hit printscreen, then have to alt+tab out, and then paste your picture in paint, then save it. 4 steps.

You set your hotkey 'screenshot' button and everytime you hit it, the picture gets saved in a folder on your computer for you. 1 step. ;)

I suggest you download it, for ease and convenience of screenshots. :cool:

The only time I've ever had an issue with fraps .... was when I would forget to turn it on. :ahh: :laugh:

good luck figuring something out that suits your needs. :tiphat:

32-bit XP works fine.

I know fraps can do the job, I have used it before. I just want to know if this problem I am talking about occurs in other MS operating systems aswell

gotcha

we have windows vista and it's not a problem taking screenshots with prntscrn + paint in non-windowed mode for us. :thumbup:

If you are using aero themes then turn them off. I am using windows 7 pro 64 bit and no trouble with screenies windowed or fullscreen.

Yep, I switched to the Windows Classic Theme and it worked. Thanks :)

But it leaves the question, how does it come it does not work with the Aero Theme?

No idea. I'm just a boring old fart that always stuck to classic ;)

Btw, I didn't discover this. I am just repeating what I read elsewhere on EF

Last edited:
If Aero is enabled the desktop is rendered in directX and the usual old school screenshot method no longer works.

I'll add directX screenshots to one of the next versions of EuHunter ;)

If you are using aero themes then turn them off. I am using windows 7 pro 64 bit and no trouble with screenies windowed or fullscreen.
Exactly.

OR:

If you really like your Aero GUI, in order to avoid all the switching on and off manually everytime, you can try this:

-right click on the shortcut to the application
-chose Properties
-chose Compatibility
-check "Disable desktop composition"
-close with "Apply" and "OK"

Now, you'll go to the classic interface/ Aero automatically when you start/close those apps, and you'll be able to use the PrtScn for screenshots in full screen mode.

The method worked for me with all the games I tried, including EU (Win7x64).

Last edited:
bumpy bump.

I realize now that this tread perhaps would have been better posted in the technical section of the forum. If an admin or moderator reads this, could you move this topic.

Please, could someone running EU on an MS operating system other than Windows7 confirm wether they also experience this problem or not.

I play on Vista 32 bit and sometimes its black screen and other times it works so haven't figured out what conflicts with it yet to cause it but its sooo annoying !

I play on Vista 32 bit and sometimes its black screen and other times it works so haven't figured out what conflicts with it yet to cause it but its sooo annoying !

I believe the above post of sledge explains a bit why this happens.

Just for confirmation, I have tried duMont's method and it works.

It is sad though that no key other than 'PrtScn' can be used for taking screenshots (e.g. assign a key for taking screenshots by 3th party software)

:)I use Fraps, but importantly use a good mapable keyboard like Logitech G15 Then you can assign key strokes with delays for globals with co-ords and time to one or more of the function keys:D

Camstudio looks good I may give it a go and see how well it works on Win7/64
at some stage

Back