Game song copyrighted?

TheOneOmega

Elite
Society
Freelancer
Marie TheOne Omega
I just noticed while looking through folders in my computer that the songs form the game, as well as the sound effects, are all present. Is it legal to make a CD of music from this game, or are the songs copyrighted?

well as long as you use it privately only... I dont think that MA will mind much ;) lol

Non commercial use of music is always legal, it's just sharing it that's illegal.

At least that's how it works here in Holland, we can legally download everything as long as we don't share it with other parties.

Non commercial use of music is always legal, it's just sharing it that's illegal.

At least that's how it works here in Holland, we can legally download everything as long as we don't share it with other parties.

That's not true in most of the world. Technically speaking, making a copy of the music for any type of use is illegal, in most countries.

But depending on what you're using it for, most likely no-one will care.

If you're making a CD for your own use, just to play at home or whatever, then that would be illegal, by the letter of the law, but I'm sure no-one would really mind :)

Yeah I kinda figured there would be other laws in different countries so I decided to add that this is how it is in Holland ;)

I just noticed while looking through folders in my computer that the songs form the game, as well as the sound effects, are all present. Is it legal to make a CD of music from this game, or are the songs copyrighted?

As far as I know, Lars Falk made the music for PE. Hes working for MA, so Id say its (c) by MA or at least by Lars.

hmmm

Actually, would their National copyright laws even apply outside of the nation?

If you want to know things about MA property like their music, file a support-case

As far as I know, Lars Falk made the music for PE. Hes working for MA, so Id say its (c) by MA or at least by Lars.

Orly...kewl didn´t know that...learning something new about this universe everyday... ^^

Actually, would their National copyright laws even apply outside of the nation?

That's where copyright law starts to get even more tricky. Whether musical works are subject to the laws of the country in which they were made, the country of the people who made them, or the country in which they are being exploited, is something that ends up in a good old court case now and then :)

It's difficult sometimes to reconcile laws in two different countries, and pretty much impossible in a case where one country has no real copyright law.

For example there was a recent case where the PRS (UK royalty collection agency) had a disagreement with their Swedish counterparts over licensing rights, which was resolved relatively easily through the courts.

On the other hand it's impossible for PRS or other parties to get any resolution to what they see as copyright breaches in Afghanistan, where there are essentially no copyright laws at all.

Japans whole musical industry is actually made up of ripping off western acts that are in our charts their copyright laws are whacky. I think they can rip off whatever they want from outside their own country for use in their own country.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong , but i'm sure i heard that's the crack there.

Jamhot

well as long as you use it privately only... I dont think that MA will mind much ;) lol

Not a legal expert on such matters, but I'd guess Nighthawk is right. If you want to make a CD to listen to then I can't imagine MA getting up in arms about it.

On the other hand, if you want to make a CD out of someone else's work to sell for money, then you're asking us whether or not you can get away with theft, right? If so, well, you know where to take your 0.9~ ;)

I have not yet been crucified by MA for putting the Neverdie theme on my imeem.com profile. If you're looking for music over sound effects, look for anything over 1000 kb. Those will be your songs.

I see this thread was necroed by a spammer, but while here, anyone interested in the game music might be interested to know it is free to download from the official site these days : http://www.planetcalypso.com/media/music/

I used to deal with copyrights issues a lot too btw, and advise better safe than sorry, if using any of the game's images, or music or anything at all, commercial or not really, particularly from the game folder itself, get legal permission in writing, and not from technical support, find the correct department (we know support can make mistakes, and yes they can forward requests to the correct department, but I don't believe they can hand over legal rights to copyrighted material).

It actually took me like 10 seconds to figure out that this guy must be the alt of the other guy. I was like "Wha? How does a single, ancient topic attract 2 random advertisers?"

As for Lee, thanks for reminding me of that. I downloaded all of the music as soon as the VU 9 servers went down just in case the old music ended by dissapearing from the game and thus the web site.

I hope Lars is never around when my phone rings then :silly2:

edit: Bahh!!! spam necro and i got sucked in :mad:

ok everyone throw dung at the noob :rolleyes::ahh:

That's where copyright law starts to get even more tricky. Whether musical works are subject to the laws of the country in which they were made, the country of the people who made them, or the country in which they are being exploited, is something that ends up in a good old court case now and then

It's difficult sometimes to reconcile laws in two different countries, and pretty much impossible in a case where one country has no real copyright law.

Most countries follow Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works

I'm not sure if the Berne Convention applies to music. :scratch2:

Whether it does or not, signatories to the convention are still able to make their own copyright laws, other than some fundamentals covered by the convention. Primarily I think the convention states that signatories will respect the laws created by the country of origin, in terms of length of copyright, ownership etc.

So for example in the UK a musical composition becomes public domain 70 years after the composer's death. Another country may have a law saying that music enters the public domain only 50 years after the composer's death, but under the convention this does not apply to a work originating in the UK. Therefore the work will become public domain in the second country at the same time as it does in the UK.

I think that's right anyway, I didn't know anything much about it until just now when I had a quick read of the Wiki article you linked and some of the links from that.

Back