Help: Gpu just stops

Salo

Guardian
Society
Rotary International Entertainment
Salonga Salo Calypso
Hello,
Entropia every now and then simply stops my graphics card. Fans stop running and the the monitor has no signal any longer. The rest of the pc keeps running...
It does not happen with other applications, games..

I have tried a different card (same model) and also swapped the Psu as I thought it was maybe unstable current on the 12V line. Still happening.
card is 270x
Could this be game related? I am beginning to think it is.

I can also run the Heaven 4.0 benchmark for hours so I am thinking gpu and the pcie slots on the mainboard are ok.

Anyone else having this issue? If yes, how did you fix it?
Thanks

Phil

Hello,
Entropia every now and then simply stops my graphics card. Fans stop running and the the monitor has no signal any longer. The rest of the pc keeps running...
It does not happen with other applications, games..

I have tried a different card (same model) and also swapped the Psu as I thought it was maybe unstable current on the 12V line. Still happening.
card is 270x
Could this be game related? I am beginning to think it is.

I can also run the Heaven 4.0 benchmark for hours so I am thinking gpu and the pcie slots on the mainboard are ok.

Anyone else having this issue? If yes, how did you fix it?
Thanks

Phil

sounds a weird one,
Have you checked the event viewer after it crashes?
do the fans stop fully? or just slow to default?
when it crashes can you crtl + atl + del and get the menu or is it still nothing?
are you running any OC software (Afterburner, X16)
have you changed GPU brand recently? ie Nvidia to AMD

other things
if you can run heaven i guess your temps are ok, PSU wise are you using at least a 500w? (maybe 600w+ if a AMD FX chip) from a decent brand?
have you tried a clean install of your GPU drivers and disabling all GPU Utilties?

i had a black screen error, where for no reason it would freeze and then go black and the fans would slow down, i could crtl + alt + del but the black screen would always be on top, even over control panel. i had to log out and back in to clear it (altho its easier shut down on W10) this was because of a X16 GPU software causing some bug, installed MSI Afterburner and its fine now)

I used to own an r9 280x and personally I thought it ran like shit for Entropia in comparison to my GTX 770 that I traded for. I know that AMD has always been a bit problematic vs nvidia and intel for Entropia, so this might be another instance of that. Hopefully you can figure it out.. good luck!

sounds a weird one,
Have you checked the event viewer after it crashes?
do the fans stop fully? or just slow to default?
when it crashes can you crtl + atl + del and get the menu or is it still nothing?
are you running any OC software (Afterburner, X16)
have you changed GPU brand recently? ie Nvidia to AMD

other things
if you can run heaven i guess your temps are ok, PSU wise are you using at least a 500w? (maybe 600w+ if a AMD FX chip) from a decent brand?
have you tried a clean install of your GPU drivers and disabling all GPU Utilties?

i had a black screen error, where for no reason it would freeze and then go black and the fans would slow down, i could crtl + alt + del but the black screen would always be on top, even over control panel. i had to log out and back in to clear it (altho its easier shut down on W10) this was because of a X16 GPU software causing some bug, installed MSI Afterburner and its fine now)

I found nothing in the event viewer, also it is not really a crash. The system keeps running just the gpu shuts down. Where in the event viewer would i look best?

The fans fully stop.

I am not sure, since the screen is black. A reboot or reset brings back the signal to the screen.

Yes, I am running afterburner but only for custom fan profiles, nothing overclocked.

No change from nvidia to ati recently.

I have tried different psus, a be quiet pure power 630W amonst them, i doubt its the psu

I have tried a clean install, complete wipe

Thanks for all the pointers! Much appreciated

I used to own an r9 280x and personally I thought it ran like shit for Entropia in comparison to my GTX 770 that I traded for. I know that AMD has always been a bit problematic vs nvidia and intel for Entropia, so this might be another instance of that. Hopefully you can figure it out.. good luck!

It had been running smoothly for over a year. I have been very happy with the card. Last Nvidia card i had was a 8800gts which i was also very happy with, the 512 mb memory were not enough anylonger at some point though.

I am really hoping some driver update or entropia update will fix this

One word: AMD....

I have had sooooo much problems with my AMD cards. Three faulty 7950's, two faulty 7970's and two faulty 280X. I now have an Nvidia GTX980 and everything is working perfectly. Never again AMD.

Which is weird as I've always had the opposite, NVidia being the problem and AMD being stable. The old tales were that the AMD cards ran better with CE2 than the NVidia ones.

Back in the day Nvidia got caught "adjusting" the graphics in benchmarking tools to boost the values and I stopped trusting them, had a couple of cards since but never been truly happy with them.

To the OP Are you running the latest drivers - Catalyst 15.7.1

I've got a 270x and I fitted a 760W - corsair pro AX 760i as I've got an i7 and 4 hard drives.

The fans in my system are barely audible, have you given it enough ventilation as even the most demanding games the fans barely increase in speed with mine except for the odd burst on the 270. The other thing would be if the additional power required by the card is too much for the PSU.

Are you sure it's not the monitor as a dying monitor will just turn off especially if it's the older tube style rather than newer LED back lit.

Last edited:
Which is weird as I've always had the opposite, NVidia being the problem and AMD being stable. The old tales were that the AMD cards ran better with CE2 than the NVidia ones.

Back in the day Nvidia got caught "adjusting" the graphics in benchmarking tools to boost the values.

To the OP Are you running the latest drivers - Catalyst 15.7.1

I've got a 270x and I fitted a 760W - corsair pro AX 760i as I've got an i7 and 4 hard drives. The fans on it are barely audible, have you given it enough ventilation as even the most demanding games the fans barely increase in speed with mine except for the odd burst.

Are you sure it's not the monitor as a dying monitor will just turn off especially if it's the older tube style rather than newer LED back lit.

Well it's quite simple. AMD are cheaper for a reason, and it's not because they are better :D The reason why AMD is cheaper is because they allow larger margin of errors on their QA before the cards go of production line, than compared to Nvidia.

Well it's quite simple. AMD are cheaper for a reason, and it's not because they are better :D The reason why AMD is cheaper is because they allow larger margin of errors on their QA before the cards go of production line, than compared to Nvidia.

Running an 8 year old AMD system, GPU + CPU, both at budget end of market, never had a single issue with either, there is a chance you got a dud card but as it sounds like you are only having trouble with EU maybe there is something going on there, have you tried changing your settings in EU? maybe shaders or something else are causing trouble...

Question...

How old is your mainboard?

If my memory haven't failed me, I vaguely remember having encountered something similar.

First it was windows hanging at random with the mouse cursor still able to move about.

Then eventually, the screen just blacks out (at random) with everything else seemingly still running. <--- Typically happens when I'm playing a game.

In the end, the PC just boots up but the monitor is in the "no-feed" state (black screen but with the monitor clearly still having power to it).

My original suspect was that the graphics card had died...but after some "troubleshooting" (and long story short)...I found out that it was actually my "graphics card slot" that died.

Reason: Antique Mainboard. :lolup:

Might not really be your real problem...but still...something to think about (as quite often people upgrade the PC parts without changing their motherboard).

And ya...nothing shows up in my event viewer as well.

Last edited:
Running an 8 year old AMD system, GPU + CPU, both at budget end of market, never had a single issue with either, there is a chance you got a dud card but as it sounds like you are only having trouble with EU maybe there is something going on there, have you tried changing your settings in EU? maybe shaders or something else are causing trouble...

In what way did it sound like I only had problem with Entropia? I'm saying these total of SEVEN faulty AMD card worked for a while in all games, and then started to give me problems in all games. Artifacts, scan lines, screen tear, over heating, micro stutter, you name it. And I am not saying all AMD hardware that everyone buys will be broken. I had an AMD computer once that worked fine too. I'm just saying what is facts, that AMD is cheaper because they allow higher margin of error in their production line.

Question...

How old is your mainboard?

If my memory haven't failed me, I vaguely remember having encountered something similar.

First it was windows hanging at random with the mouse cursor still able to move about.

Then eventually, the screen just blacks out (at random) with everything else seemingly still running. <--- Typically happens when I'm playing a game.

In the end, the PC just boots up but the monitor is in the "no-feed" state (black screen but with the monitor clearly still having power to it).

My original suspect was that the graphics card had died...but after some "troubleshooting" (and long story short)...I found out that it was actually my "graphics card slot" that died.

Reason: Antique Mainboard. :lolup:

Might not really be your real problem...but still...something to think about (as quite often people upgrade the PC parts without changing their motherboard).

And ya...nothing shows up in my event viewer as well.

The board is roughly 2 years old. Would not surprise me if the problem came from the pcie slot as the cards keep getting heavier...and the pcie slots dont look like they are made to bear the weight of these cards.

Edit: some rep has been spread :) Thanks everyone for your input! Back to troubleshooting!

You tried it with several cards but the problem persists, then the issue must be the mainboard, faulty setting perhaps.

Try using a different mainboard with those card and see what happens, other issue might be the power supply, how much watt does it have?

I upgraded to a R7 250xxx series a while ago, and i love the card had the pc running non stop for 1 month without turning it off, all worked and still works well.

Hello,

If you have Internet Explorer running, try turning off accelleration in it.

Tools > Options > Advanced > Use program rendering instead of GPU rendering

You tried it with several cards but the problem persists, then the issue must be the mainboard, faulty setting perhaps.

Try using a different mainboard with those card and see what happens, other issue might be the power supply, how much watt does it have?

I upgraded to a R7 250xxx series a while ago, and i love the card had the pc running non stop for 1 month without turning it off, all worked and still works well.

I also tried different psus. the smallest was 480w the biggest 630w. They work fine. I will take a look at the bios settings again.

Thanks for the input :)

I also tried different psus. the smallest was 480w the biggest 630w. They work fine. I will take a look at the bios settings again.

Thanks for the input :)

This is a strange one, does it only happen when playing Entropia?
I have had this happen to me before, but it happened during startup only, if i was able to get passed the startup everything worked fine, i ended up cleaning the card, paste ect. which fixed it, but it was a card issue in the end.

Will be allot of trail and error, let me know how it goes.

I also remember one case where the cable for the gpu from the psu stopped working, which caused it also, might be worth checking into that, getting a extra cable to test it out.

ps. i just read the OP again and am pretty sure it's a faulty connection in the psu or the psu as a whole not having the power anymore, i think the 480w might be too low to run the 270 card for a long period to test it out, but the only reason for the fans to also stop working on the card makes me think it stopped getting power from the gpu.

Last edited:
A little update in case anyone is interested. I have tried different psu's and different 270x cards. The issue really seems to be entropia specific as stress tests and other applictions do not cause this. I am hoping it will go away with some patch same way it appeared after one.

A little update in case anyone is interested. I have tried different psu's and different 270x cards. The issue really seems to be entropia specific as stress tests and other applictions do not cause this. I am hoping it will go away with some patch same way it appeared after one.

I am pretty confident it is computer specific. If it was Entropia specific, the forum would be flooded with people that complained about this. Right now this is the only post about it. I would run full diagnostics of the computer, memtest, burn test, prime and so on.

Don't forget to check firmware

memtest, burn in, prime and heaven benchmark run just fine. drivers and bios up to date.

Not sure what else to test. Thanks for the pointers anyways :)

Seems like you tried almost everything, I wonder what's the issue... subscribing to see if you managed to solve it.

I bet it will something stupid, like faulty monitor or something :D

Since I have long experience in PC market and services,
allow me to add my 2 pec to this.

This is hardware failure and probably as someone already mentioned, motherboard failure.

Have nothing to do with Entropia or what you running the moment it happen.

Very soon you will say "good bye" to your confguration!
Take a full backup if you have data that you don't want to loose, before it's too late, just in case when this happen your hard disk becomes a wreck too.

Since I have long experience in PC market and services,
allow me to add my 2 pec to this.

This is hardware failure and probably as someone already mentioned, motherboard failure.

Have nothing to do with Entropia or what you running the moment it happen.

Very soon you will say "good bye" to your confguration!
Take a full backup if you have data that you don't want to loose, before it's too late, just in case when this happen your hard disk becomes a wreck too.
Yes, mainboard has been mentioned before as possible source of error.
Might aswell try a new board at this point. Still it is puzzeling me that it only happens with entropia.
Thanks for the input :) Help is much appeciated.

As I told you I have Gfx-Card issues myself since long: after sending them every crash report for 2 years MA decided to put the card I use on a list of known bugs.

With regards to "the forums would be full of complaints about similar issues": people complain about other stuff, and just relog when they get booted... funny, isn´t it?

Last edited:
One word: AMD....

I have had sooooo much problems with my AMD cards. Three faulty 7950's, two faulty 7970's and two faulty 280X. I now have an Nvidia GTX980 and everything is working perfectly. Never again AMD.

Exactly.

If you want to run Entropia a solution might be to underclock your video card, small increments until it doesn't crash anymore.

LE: reading some other posts about the MB. Usually after a MB fault you cannot restart the computer right away, if you can restart it. Graphics chipset on the MB fails are more common.

Last edited:
Did you try the setting in internet Explorer?

I am not using internet explorer. Can it cause problems even if it is not running?

I am not using internet explorer. Can it cause problems even if it is not running?

Not sure if it's embedded in client loader...

I got problem with blank screen when Internet Explorer 10 got out, and for me it got solved by turning off GPU accelleration.

Have you got one of the boards / chipsets that supports GPU switching, i.e. Virtu MVP?

I'm wondering if that could be kicking in and EU doesn't like it - leaving it in a disabled state.

The issue reappeared. Same as last time other applications and games/pc stresstesting do not cause the issue.

For now I have put in my 9!!!!! years old 8800gts and surprisingly enough I can play on 24" on high to medium...

Might just set up a cheap rig for the game with noting else on it.

Back