Graphics settings - Your recommendations

Zacariaz

Elite
Society
United Talents
Marie T'pol
So I finally bought that SSD so that I can not get the most out of my hardware, but it's not quite enough.

So I ramped the settings to the max (very high), highest resolution of 1080p, set vertical sync and 16q AA and even while recording with Fraps @ 30 FPS, My in game FPS stay at a decent 20-30 FPS.

So I'm not too disappointed, as my computer is ancient after all (core2 duo 2.80ghz, 4gb ddr2, gtx 560, etc.)

Lowering the resolution to 720p does seem to fix the issue more or less, and that's really fine to be honest, but just for the sake of argument I want to ask which setting you would lower.

For example there's little if any difference between 16q and 8q AA and I could probably set it even lower without noticing, who need clouds, etc.

So please post your recommendations. I' sure there are some settings that I can lower without any trouble.

Best regards.

My settings to be low less lag but still look good.

1: reset General Graphics Quality to Medium.(under Graphics)
2: Under Avanced;
Render Textures Quality: 80% to the right.
Objects Quality: Low
Particle Effects Qality: Safe Mode
Physics Quality: Safe Mode
Shading Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Texture Quality: Medium
Water Quality: Safe Mode
Volumetric Effects Quality: Safe Mode
Draw Distance: Safe Mode.

set vertical sync and 16q AA

disable verticle sync and AA = anti aliasing.... and then you should be fine :)

Try medium first....I've a feeling that y ou could go even to high!

My settings to be low less lag but still look good.

1: reset General Graphics Quality to Medium.(under Graphics)
2: Under Avanced;
Render Textures Quality: 80% to the right.
Particle Effects Qality: Safe Mode
Physics Quality: Safe Mode
Shading Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Texture Quality: Medium
Water Quality: Safe Mode
Volumetric Effects Quality: Safe Mode
Draw Distance: Safe Mode.

I very sorry, I don't mean to offend, but many of those settings are ridiculously low :D

Draw distance safe mode? :O

Don't think I'm quite ready to go there, but thanks anyway ;)

Try medium first....I've a feeling that y ou could go even to high!

Can't disable vertical sync. Will risk interlacing, which is bad both when recording and when not. As for the AA, sure, it don't really make much of a difference, but still, it does make some.

Visuals suck if you have that :laugh: you need High or Very High to see the HUD on a helicopter for example :)

Yep, I can play at "High" with my computer and sometimes even "Very High" but when I put AA on it slows down a lot... and my computer is from Q1 2009 :)

Go everything medium, shading to high. Disable AA but use a lower resolution.

I have a 1080p monitor but I'm using 1680x1050 because.....almost no difference and you get free "AA" :D (I know).

<- GTX 260

Go everything medium, shading to high. Disable AA but use a lower resolution.

I have a 1080p monitor but I'm using 1680x1050 because.....almost no difference and you get free "AA" :D (I know).

<- GTX 260

Free AA? Wow, didn't think of that. That's petty smart :D

It will however not work for recordings, which this is most about, but I'll certainly test it out for normal use. 1080p is overkill anyway. an read those small letter. Suppose 1600*900 would be good middle grounds.

But to get to the point, what you're saying is that shading makes a big difference and is worth doing.

Thanks.

Edit:
As for the recording, I suppose down scaling to 720p could actually be beneficial. Don't really know too much about the subject.

Edit 2:
Just tried lowest settings for fun and achieved 140 fps on average. That kinda kicks ass ;)

Edit 3:
Also messed around with 16 bit color depth. I don't actually see any difference in color, so that's kinda funny, but of course it has little or no impact on the FPS.

I play at 1920 x 1200 x All High on my ancient GTX285 and am content with ~30 fps. Not going to sacrifice visual awesomeness for greater fps :cool:. Don't see any visual difference between High and Very High, probably because the card doesn't support some modern features.

Color depth shouldn't affect the performance at all, and the SSD will decrease the loading time (you know, when the GPU has to load stuff from disk), but has very little impact on FPS.

Last edited:
Color depth souldn't affect the performance at all, and the SSD will decrease the loading time (you know, when the GPU has to load stuff from disk), but has very little impact on FPS.

The SSD is mainly for loading, but also to help of the problem that I "only" have 4 GB of RAM.

Regardless it helps a lot having two disks when recording.

As for the color depth, I had no expectations that it would have an impact. Maybe it would have long a go on older hardware, but not today. The fun thing however is that it doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

I wonder if it's possible to force 8 bit color mode. That would be kinda fun :D

Edit:
don't try and force 8 bit color depth. It won't work and will course major issues :D

Last edited:
Yeah, then call it Entropia Universe: The Super Mario Experience !

:laugh:

That would be 4 bit color :D

Anyway I tried the 8 bit color force and it didn't work, but rendered the game unplayable. Too bad, would have been fun.

Turn off the ingame AA and all that added crap. use your video cards settings to manage all that. no sence in AA something already done on the card if you dont need to.

Manage mip maps using vid card hardware and that will save a ton of processing and vid mem as well.

For my 5770 I max mip maps, aa, ansio filter, and run triple buffer on the card and dont bother with them settings in the game. My FR is idle around 40 ish is heavy populated areas and will go over 110 easily if looking down or up. My in game settings are all at very high as well.

As for recording when playing maybe you need to prioritise fraps a tad higher with a weaker proc unit and small ram of only 4 gig. Recording sucks mem time and amounts thats why I put 12 gig in my system for recording to reduce latency in the transfers

You guys have colors? I'm still looking at black and white dither... The landscape looks great though. Oh, and Argonauts appear as "#"... works for me though, just hard to remember which mob uses which ascii character!

Turn off the ingame AA and all that added crap. use your video cards settings to manage all that. no sence in AA something already done on the card if you dont need to.

Manage mip maps using vid card hardware and that will save a ton of processing and vid mem as well.

For my 5770 I max mip maps, aa, ansio filter, and run triple buffer on the card and dont bother with them settings in the game. My FR is idle around 40 ish is heavy populated areas and will go over 110 easily if looking down or up. My in game settings are all at very high as well.

Well the idea was good, but the reality leaves something to be desired.

I turned of vertical sync and AA in game, and maxed it in the nvidia setting: No effect.

I have no idea what mip map is, but apparently there isn't a setting for it

Back