Hacked!

Curly

Mature
Society
Freelancer
Lotta Curly Colada
I am writing this as a warning for all to read.. I was in Twin Peaks about a week ago and someone was there shouting out a website (someones-software.com) to download tools for PE from. Well, like an idiot I went there and downloaded 2 programs which were Fraps and PE Database, one of these programs has a keylogger attatched to it.
I didn't find this out till it was too late.
The website isn't there now though, I checked soon after this happened.

I was hacked on friday morning between 5am and 12pm CST. I lost everything I had, even the 148 dung in storage, when I logged out at 5am I was in Jason's Center crafting armor. When I logged back in at 12pm I was in Atlas Haven standing in front of the auctioneer half naked holding a Payne-inc implant inserter. My handgun, rifle and evade skills were gone along with my ghost armor, ep-40 mercenary, E amp-15 and other things..

I sent a support case to MA and got the usual "cookie cutter" reply... get a gold card, call the police and so on.

This is just a reminder to NOT download any 3rd party software. I did and learned the hard way :(
And I have wrongfully accused two ppl. (Sorry Pole and Dezmo)

Lotta Curly Colada

sorry to hear that :( i hope you have already changed your password and got rid of the logger.

really sad to hear this... :(

didn't you have any virus protection, firewall etc.? too late for that if you didn't but just checking...

be strong!

J.

That sucks, I'm sorry. :/
3rd party programs can be helpful sometimes, but they should be carefully scanned before the installation. And the best thing to do is to get it from the orginal website, I hate it when this type of stuff happens.

hmmm..... :whistle:

sorry for your loss, another bod learns the hard way. It sucks :(

Last edited:
Good lord what were you thinking?

sorry to hear.

maybe you can ask MA who received your items and skills, so they can follow the path of the scammer and lock that bastard down.

steffel said:
sorry to hear.

maybe you can ask MA who received your items and skills, so they can follow the path of the scammer and lock that bastard down.

If they care :mad:

Thanks for the heads-up Curly.

That totally sux mate, the people that do this are very very sad. I dont know how they can sleep at night.
I know that there are people like this everywhere but it does really make you lose faith ingame and out.
I hope you can get past it and find the retard :laugh:

I really feel your pain on this, but for the rest of us...doesnt that make the game even that more real?

I mean comeon, for those of us in college, this sounds like a normal 3 day frat party....

edited for content:

I started drinking on friday morning between 5am and 12pm CST. I lost everything I had, even the 148 cents in my pocket, when I passed out at 5am I was in Jason's bar trying to get into Betty Lous pants. When I woke back up at 12pm I was in Atlas Haven standing in front of the judge half naked holding a Payne-inc implant inserter. My handgun, rifle and condoms were gone along with my car, house key, cell phone and other things..

this game is just scary real nowadays......

looks like it was that one...someone put a logger in one of those apps

NetStalker said:
I really feel your pain on this, but for the rest of us...doesnt that make the game even that more real?

I mean comeon, for those of us in college, this sounds like a normal 3 day frat party....

edited for content:

I started drinking on friday morning between 5am and 12pm CST. I lost everything I had, even the 148 cents in my pocket, when I passed out at 5am I was in Jason's bar trying to get into Betty Lous pants. When I woke back up at 12pm I was in Atlas Haven standing in front of the judge half naked holding a Payne-inc implant inserter. My handgun, rifle and condoms were gone along with my car, house key, cell phone and other things..

this game is just scary real nowadays......

And so in RL, you then go to the police (maybe useless, maybe not), you get some of your money back from insurance, and you claim the rest as a loss on your taxes. In PE, you go to support, and they send you a canned message that has not much more help than "Oh well, not our problem". Quite a bit of a difference...

+Rep for NetStalker

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the info....and you're not the only one from what I hear....hopefully this will advise others not to be hacked too. +REP ;)

Well, presently it isn't against the EULA to do such things, though the hacker did cause the guy some distress and greif (which is against the EULA!?!) :rolleyes:

Ure a member on EF, u know about people warning about stuff like this and still u download something??

If it ain´t on the origianl site, don´t touch it!

When will people learn??!?? :rolleyes:

I wonder if the hacker received a copy of the original post in this thread from the keylogger.

:broke:

Morg said:
Well, presently it isn't against the EULA to do such things, though the hacker did cause the guy some distress and greif (which is against the EULA!?!) :rolleyes:

Participant agrees not to translate, modify, copy, printout, disassemble, de-compile or otherwise tamper with Entropia Universe system, code, or any firmware, circuit board or software provided therewith. The Participant also agrees not to hack into or interfere with any data communication to or from the Entropia Universe servers, clients, and systems, as well as not to use any other software than the Entropia Universe client to interpret or influence data sent to or from the Entropia Universe server and client systems.

doesnt a keylogger "hack into or interfere with data communication between someones client and the server" or "interpret data"?

wanda said:
doesnt a keylogger "hack into or interfere with data communication between someones client and the server" or "interpret data"?

No. A keylogger stands between your keyboard driver and your application. So it does not interfere with the client-server data.

Curly said:
I am writing this as a warning for all to read.. I was in Twin Peaks about a week ago and someone was there shouting out a website (someones-software.com) to download tools for PE from. Well, like an idiot I went there and downloaded 2 programs which were Fraps and PE Database, one of these programs has a keylogger attatched to it.
I didn't find this out till it was too late.
The website isn't there now though, I checked soon after this happened.

I was hacked on friday morning between 5am and 12pm CST. I lost everything I had, even the 148 dung in storage, when I logged out at 5am I was in Jason's Center crafting armor. When I logged back in at 12pm I was in Atlas Haven standing in front of the auctioneer half naked holding a Payne-inc implant inserter. My handgun, rifle and evade skills were gone along with my ghost armor, ep-40 mercenary, E amp-15 and other things..

I sent a support case to MA and got the usual "cookie cutter" reply... get a gold card, call the police and so on.

This is just a reminder to NOT download any 3rd party software. I did and learned the hard way :(
And I have wrongfully accused two ppl. (Sorry Pole and Dezmo)

Lotta Curly Colada

This is stupid. Why change the original post with the offending, NOW MISSING site? It could help many others that downloaded the softwares in taking action. This is moderator negligence.

Can you Curly or someone else please send me a copy of the software? I am really interested in releasing it in a closed environment and find out what can it be detected with and what data it send to what server.

thank you

Curly said:
I am writing this as a warning for all to read.. ..

Lotta Curly Colada

Curly. If you are in the US, report it to the appropriate FBI department.

Pole and Dezmo are from my soc,i heard about that history,good to hear that was a mistake with Pole and Dez,for some minutes i thought the scam shit had reached my soc.Sorry for your loss,and well,we just need to be very carefull with those damn "fake" programs... :rolleyes:

Curly... I sure hope you'll go to the RL police or whatever authorities handles computer hacking in your country.
People doing stuff like this are criminals, and they need to be punished. :mad:

StrongMinded said:
Ure a member on EF, u know about people warning about stuff like this and still u download something??

If it ain´t on the origianl site, don´t touch it!

When will people learn??!?? :rolleyes:
Check his post count... This is his first and only post so far.
I agree with the rest though.

What bugs me is MA's total lack of interest in finding these scammers. They know very well that the police would laugh in your face if you tried to report it. :mad:

And I think it's wrong to blame the person who has been scammed for not being careful etc. The victim is not the idiot, the scammer is. :wise:

Vedder said:
Curly... I sure hope you'll go to the RL police or whatever authorities handles computer hacking in your country.
People doing stuff like this are criminals, and they need to be punished. :mad:

Check his post count... This is his first and only post so far.
I agree with the rest though.
Sorry about that, i didn´t check.... But still... I hope that people going here try to read the basic stuff.... And it wasn´t personal... I´m just sad that this has to happen everyday... I see 10 - 20 posts each day about people getting scammed and noone (MA) does anything about it... =(

BUMP

Read and learn.

Rapido
~You're Not Alone~

I'm sorry for your loss :( I heard it 'through the grapevine' a few days ago already, I am just glad in the end CoM had nothing to do with it :)

Darkaner said:
What bugs me is MA's total lack of interest in finding these scammers. They know very well that the police would laugh in your face if you tried to report it. :mad:...
I'm sure it's not because of lack of interest from MA. They're probably very worried about the increase of these incidents.
But they can't really DO anything about it, because:
- There's a LOT of cases, and in most cases it's not exactly obvious whether something illegal was done at all. Except for the hacking cases, but for those, the illegal actions happened outside PE.
- What if MA accidently accuses/punishes the wrong guy? They COULD end up in court, since it involves real money. They would have to very careful and only act when they were absolutely sure something illegal was done.
- It would take a LOT of work to solve each case, because MA would have to track the money/items, make absolutely sure what happened, make sure something illegal was reallly done and that it wasn't 'just' immoral etc. Also they would need to make sure that it's not a fake scam report, with the purpose of hurting someone.
- Who knows what is legal in the country that the scammer/hacker is in? In some cases MA could deem it a crime, but the scammer/hacker might very well be completely safe in his own country anyway, if it's not considered illegal there. And MA would have wasted time and money investegating etc.
- It would be VERY costly for MA to go into these things, and who would have to pay for it? You and me.. And all the other PE addicts.
Darkaner said:
And I think it's wrong to blame the person who has been scammed for not being careful etc. The victim is not the idiot, the scammer is. :wise:
Agree :)

Back