Have you ever been scammed?

Never, neither in EU nor in RL. Trust is probably my least practiced skill, to get something from me without a collateral you need at least to be someone I wake up next to :)

Never, neither in EU nor in RL. Trust is probably my least practiced skill, to get something from me without a collateral you need at least to be someone I wake up next to :)
Oh gawd do I have to sleep with you again :eyecrazy:

Oh gawd do I have to sleep with you again :eyecrazy:

me_gusta_mucho_by_megustamuchoplz-d416uqk.png

I was scammed when I joined by a newbie harvesting mentor. He still got the gift, but he didn't do jack-dung for it. Still had to figure it out on my own by asking dumb questions everywhere.

Thank god for Alices guides.

I've been scammed indirectly - I lent some items out to an avatar I trust but that avatar got scammed out of it.

I gave a n00b at Swamp Camp an M2100 and 1 PED of ammo, and created a "highest damage wins all" team. The understanding was that he would finish the Puny mobs I didn't 1-hit for free skill, and I would spend less on overkill without having to take the time to switch weapons myself. He took the 3.10 PED and logged. He really ripped himself, as I was going to give him 1 PED of ammo at a time, for quite a while, and he could have scored some free skills worth far more than what he got. Win/win turned into a lose/lose. :( Oh well, it was a risk I was willing to take and it didn't work out so well.

I havnt been ripped off but over the years ive seen several happen.The worst was a guy in our society "he worked it" for over a year before he was able to get a socm8 to lend him his ml35.He was never heard from again.But the most ridiculous rip off i ever saw happen was when this guy started asking players standing around at auction if he could try our coat on to see if he liked it because he was going to buy the one in auction but he didnt want to risk not liking it.I quickly sent him on his way and watched as he moved through the crowd quietly chatting with other possible victims.Finally after several tries he had a victim on his line and in open chat i warned the person and everyone else that this guy was in fact trying to rip him off.Well to my amazment this dumb bunny lets the guy try on his coat and sure enough the guy logs off leaving his stiff looking and feeling pretty stupid. I asked him why after i warned him why he went and gave him his coat? The guy just said he trusted him AND THAT WAS THAT:scratch2:

I've never been, but many have attempted it. When I first started one of the very first items I looted was a Vigi harness, that I still have. The markup was pretty good in '05. I had no idea how armor worked and wore it with settler, pixie, or whatever I looted. The harness stuck out like a sore thumb and scammers left and right would offer all sorts of bargains for it, usually after they performed a scan.

Mismatched armor with one slightly valuable piece always had attracted them. Sometimes it was fun to troll for scammers to pass some time. I would ask to add them to friends list and then scan them after doing so. Most had newb stats. Generally they would try a scam run and then never log in again. The drag-able HP bar that would stay made it handy to track and follow them. It still surprises me how many people would trade with them when you would warn them not to.

After my first game break between 2003 and 2005 i wanted seel out all my worth ca 100 peds gear earned without depositing (mainly due to 1 global i had). First person who reacted on mine "seeling out " screaming at twins was scamer. It was trade window scam, i received no peds for all items placed at window.

I was left only with 1st weave colonist beret wchich in anger i sold for few peds. For few peds i got almost broken mining gear and hit small oil. Then give away all asking ppl to warn on main chat about scaner and giving as payment mining gear and oil i found.

After that action, i was completly naked, no single ped, no single item even not one botle of sweat !!! So i thought if i can survive starting from here, from complete zero i can survive anywhere and make personal task of climbing in that game up. headed to swamp camp when i spended few days.

Some time later still as n00b who was avoiding small argonauts and atrox young was killer monster i hitted one of those n00b towers with last probe i had 6446 ped oil, and till then game start flowing.

So i can say scamm i experienced was rather motivating and ended with that i am here still.

P.S. Scammer was identified and with help of MA official assistant Martial most of my items were back on me few weeks later. It is possible for MA stuff to contact scamer and convince him to give gear back even they treat all trades as final.

On my first hof, a 1k ambu in team, i picked the storaged gsi (back that time) and gave them to a guy to fill with skill at cheap price, oh and i even bought the tool. No need to say how it ended. Scaming by that time, 7 / 8 years ago was a word not much known... or i thought not

Yep same story here.

yes been scammed

no will never happen again.

2 simple rules

1. don't lend out stuff u cant afford to lose.
2. if u do anyway then be sure you know where to find them in real life and go back to rule 1 anyway's

A long time ago way before AoW and my current soc, I had a socmate borrow a weapon and never return it. It wasn't a high level or expensive one but never the less they disappeared with it. Since then I have not had anything like that happen. There have been a number of attempts like "armor upgrade" or posing as a well know avatar and offering services that are to good to be true and those avies have been reported.

These days I don't care to borrow or lend out equipment unless its someone I know I can trust or collateral is involved so both parties feel secure.

I had a disciple one time who had just graduated and wanted to borrow my 5B plates to go hunting. I had lent them to him a couple times before with collateral, but this one time I was tired and about to log off. Anyway, forgot to ask for collateral, and never saw him again.

have not been scammed, that i know of. same as second post, just have common sence

Back