Help. Black Screenshots.

Uncle Mo

Dominant
Stupid American. Only Speaks One Language.
Society
NIB Down
Luri UncleMo Nightshade
ET is giving me black screenshots. I've disabled any type of theme, and I've set up the entropia.exe properly I'm pertty sure. (I've gone under the bin32 folder, selected properties on the .exe and made sure Disable Desktop Composition and Disable Visual Themes are check. I'm running as an admin.

How do I troubleshoot this? FRAPS takes Screenshots just fine but LBML and ET do not.

ET is giving me black screenshots. I've disabled any type of theme, and I've set up the entropia.exe properly I'm pertty sure. (I've gone under the bin32 folder, selected properties on the .exe and made sure Disable Desktop Composition and Disable Visual Themes are check. I'm running as an admin.

How do I troubleshoot this? FRAPS takes Screenshots just fine but LBML and ET do not.

Hi Mo,

Is it Win7 or the new Win 8 your running ?

Win 8 is being queried atm > https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/entropia-tracker/205153-tracker-window-8-a.html

Windows 7 64 bit.

Running WIN7 /64 also - only disabled AERO theme and nothing changed at ET - works for me.

Disabling the whole aero is too brutal, just right-click the EU's icon > Properties > Compatibility > Disable desktop composition.

Edit: damn, I'm blind :). I just get used to mechanically post this method every time I see about "black screenshots".

Last edited:
I am able to get some of the screenshots to work now.

I've tried running some registry fixes and on occasion I'm getting Windows Explorer has stopped running errors.

How is the screenshotting done? Is the src to the client available?

I can think of four options, in rougly decreasing order of "niceness":
1. Get the Window DC and copy the bitmap from that.
2. Get the screen DC and copy the bitmap from that.
3. WM_PRINT to the window.
4. Sending an ALT+PrtScr using the function(s) you can use to generate/simulate user input (kbd/mouse).

++luck;

I had a similar problem at one point. I was using the Alt+PrtScn. As far as I can remember, you have to kill the client loader once EU is up and running and then it'll work. It's been awhile, though, so I could be wrong.

Remember, under settings -> help center.. there is an FAQ with answers to some of the most common questions. One of those is "black screenshots". In the FAQ there is solutions to Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8... :)

Remember, under settings -> help center.. there is an FAQ with answers to some of the most common questions. One of those is "black screenshots". In the FAQ there is solutions to Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8... :)

That said, are you 100% sure this can't be automatically handled (fixed) in the software by any of the 4 methods I mentioned?

Go to the Entropia Universe .exe or whatever disable ...something composition think its desktop composition.

Well I narrowed the problem down to some sort of registry error. I did a Windows repair install and that seems to be working for now. During the install Microsoft informed me that I 'Might be a victim of Activation Key hacking' or something to that effect. I'll keep you all posted and much thanks to all the replies. +rep to all

So I started getting black screenshots again. It dawned on me that I only get black screenshots whenever a browser is open!!! That was causing my problem. Close the browsers and screenshots work fine.

Back