How do I get rid of this damn landscape shimmer?

Mac

Marauder
Mannanan Mac y Lir
I don't know the technical graphics term for it, but no matter high or low graphics settings, the landscape - mainly trees and such, shimmer or blink on and off really fast, its a migraineurs nightmare. I even tried safe mode and it still shimmered. I don't really care about the in game graphics quality, I just want to shoot and loot stuff.

My MSI GE75 Raider laptop that I got from Costco is only a couple years old, so it's not great, but I assume it has the ability to manage this, but I'll be damned if I can figure out the combination of drop downs and checkboxes to make it stop. Any help would be appreciated.

I assume someone will ask some specs from dxdiag:

Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: GE75 Raider 10SFS
BIOS: E17E9IMS.10A (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32588MB RAM
Page File: 26495MB used, 9804MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1E91&SUBSYS_12BC1462&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 24306 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8012 MB
Shared Memory: 16294 MB

TIA

had the same thing with my laptop, and i have a Nvidia RTX 3080. so believe me its not your PC.

Try individual graphics settings putting them from high to low and see which one changes the effect, not on a pc atm but i remmember only changing one setting dis it for me.

A screenshot would do wonders
Thanks, I'll see if I can get one tomorrow, I'm done tonight. Although, a screen shot won't show the flashing, but I can point at the trees that are flashing if that helps.

had the same thing with my laptop, and i have a Nvidia RTX 3080. so believe me its not your PC.

Try individual graphics settings putting them from high to low and see which one changes the effect, not on a pc atm but i remmember only changing one setting dis it for me.
Thanks, that is encouraging to know someone else delt with it. I've been clicking around trying to find a combo with no luck so far, but I didn't go one by one in those advanced graphic drop down options. I tried a few things that looked like they might be related, but no luck yet.

It's one of the advanced graphics settings, iirc post processing. RT was really bad for it.

I dont get a ny of that any more after using very high on Post Processing, Shading, Texture, Volumetric.

Medium on Physics, Particle.
Where are you finding these settings, I don't see them in the GUI, I have everything on Low (See links above)

you sure got a lot of stuff set to low in advanced settings... crank it up and see what happens.

Reactions: Mac
Check if there's any new nvidia drivers. If not uninstall n reinstall.

As it's a tree problem, logging sounds good ;)
But yeah, I get it on some logins and not on others, without changing any settings. My setting are pretty low but not safe mode.

Crikey that is bad! I didn't see shimmer but I did see the luminescent plants... which I wasn't too sure was actually as the artist intended...?

By the way...

With NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super you should be able to run the game at MUCH higher specs then you are.

Are you 100% sure the game is using your dedicated GPU?

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel."
  2. Click "3D Settings" > "Manage 3D Settings."
  3. Click the "Program Settings" tab.
  4. On the "Global Settings tab," locate and select the "Preferred graphics processor" option. From the list, select "High-performance Nvidia Processor."
  5. Click Apply.
Try running the game again, and try cranking up the settings.

Using a 2070 Super and running those low specs is really an indicator that something is wrong, and I believe it is your settings outside of the game.

I did this about 6 years ago on my laptop, which had a real crap GPU and I was able to push the graphics way beyond what you are running, at very acceptable frames in the high 60's.

It seems to me that it may have to do with rounding or some other side effect connected with distance culling. I get it only sometimes, actually rarely, and then it's rather obvious in the image why certain regions of it are affected. I'm on much older hardware with a GTX970. I don't know why it should react so differently on other machines, even newer ones. I assume this all will be different under UE5 and that any fixes or improvements will be postponed until then.

I assume this all will be different under UE5 and that any fixes or improvements will be postponed until then.
You are right to assume this, as it is a completely different game engine.........

*channeling inner paper clip*

Have you tried adding more ped to your card? It looks pretty low.

When in doubt, tinker with the advanced settings and update drivers.

By the way...

With NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super you should be able to run the game at MUCH higher specs then you are.

Are you 100% sure the game is using your dedicated GPU?

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel."
  2. Click "3D Settings" > "Manage 3D Settings."
  3. Click the "Program Settings" tab.
  4. On the "Global Settings tab," locate and select the "Preferred graphics processor" option. From the list, select "High-performance Nvidia Processor."
  5. Click Apply.
Try running the game again, and try cranking up the settings.

Using a 2070 Super and running those low specs is really an indicator that something is wrong, and I believe it is your settings outside of the game.

I did this about 6 years ago on my laptop, which had a real crap GPU and I was able to push the graphics way beyond what you are running, at very acceptable frames in the high 60's.
Thanks, that fixed it.

Funny, last night I'm trying to go to sleep and I had a thought, I wonder if my laptop is actually using the graphics card? I just assumed it was. I mean, why ship it with a card and not enable it? Anyhoo, there goes that make an ass out of u an me lesson again. Now I can put it on High. If I put it on Very High it lags the system enough to be annoying.

*channeling inner paper clip*

Have you tried adding more ped to your card? It looks pretty low.

When in doubt, tinker with the advanced settings and update drivers.
I'm very low budget now, this will have to make do.

Back