How do you mine?

Shackleton

Prowler
Society
Federation of Free Wanderers
First off this isn't a question about systems, or the loot pool - and has nothing to do with spirals....

Just from reading a few threads where Teilk i think said he used to go through 50 OA 103s a day, and someone else saying they can use a of 212 in a week i wondered how people go about their mining trips.

I personally drop maybe 50 bombs in an hour max on CND, probably even less on Almethra, didn't even realise how slow that was until talking to a few folk :laugh:

So are you the kind of person who mines at a leisurely pace, or one who drops thousands of bombs a day? - and if so, is there any thought to location or does eveywhere get bombed :)

Depending on how loot is treating me these days I tend to go out with a couple 103 amps and maybe 112 bombs 100 probes per hunting/mining trip.
I pretty much always hunt and mine. When I used to frequent CND I would take lots of amps and lots of bombs/probes but the last few times CND was not good to me so I have not been back.

I can usually go through 500 peds ammo and 112 peds of bombs 50 peds of probes with amps in about 3-4 hours depending on the mobs and the amount of deposits I find. Larger and more frequent deposits usually mean less hunting better loot on mobs means less mining. On a good day I am well over 200 in weight after all my bombs/probes and ammo is used up and that is with 4 grav boxes. On a bad day I am left light and :cry:

:)

I try to go through 500 bombs and 500 probes amped with 101s every day. Sometimes i fall asleep during the last run lol x)

I try to go through 500 bombs and 500 probes amped with 101s every day. Sometimes i fall asleep during the last run lol x)
lol, same just with only 800 bombs ;p

When I was really active in mining I was turning over somewhere between 1000-2000 peds on bombs or probes per day with maybe few low level amps used on a particularlly dense area.

Though these trips were rather exhausting. :)

Depending on how loot is treating me these days I tend to go out with a couple 103 amps and maybe 112 bombs 100 probes per hunting/mining trip.
I pretty much always hunt and mine. When I used to frequent CND I would take lots of amps and lots of bombs/probes but the last few times CND was not good to me so I have not been back.

I can usually go through 500 peds ammo and 112 peds of bombs 50 peds of probes with amps in about 3-4 hours depending on the mobs and the amount of deposits I find. Larger and more frequent deposits usually mean less hunting better loot on mobs means less mining. On a good day I am well over 200 in weight after all my bombs/probes and ammo is used up and that is with 4 grav boxes. On a bad day I am left light and :cry:

:)

yeah, that's pretty much what i do too - actually find that CND seems to give me more hunting globals too when mining there :laugh:
Although on the CND front i can easily see how people could go through loads of amps a day - at the moment i'm receiving help for my ore amp addiction!
find that with mining on the surface though, there are a few locations that i like and seem to always have a few deposits there so take a couple of 103 amps along. What i wonder is how Minky or Adelei can go through 800 - 1000 bombs a day, are the locations you go to different each day or do you intensively mine the same places?

600-1000 bombs/probes/day, depending on time. so far unamped. anywhere. the less mobs, the best. nomatter how low return, click on!

oh my, i just unveiled my secrets :laugh:

a, most important: i play with skillgains not visible :cool:

those figures, 500-600 bombs a day relegate me to a dabbler, who manages to make 50 bombs/probes last at least 2 days.

i have neither the time, nor, more importantly, the cash, to use in a day peds that i need to last the month.

most important: i play with skillgains not visible :cool:

seriously? :scratch2:
I try to use them as much as possible - find that through using small bits of a few of the various mining theories i can usually get a small profit each trip, but it certainly isn't fast :laugh:

Kerham said:
most important: i play with skillgains not visible

I agree with Kerham. As far as I have observed and experimented, skill gains does not seem to influence if there is a nearby resource or not.

Shackleton said:
What i wonder is how Minky or Adelei can go through 800 - 1000 bombs a day, are the locations you go to different each day or do you intensively mine the same places?

Going though 1000 or more bombs/probes is easy if you know a few very good locations that yield good resources at a decent density. I usually cover my favorite locations and make a few exploratory runs to find new areas.

A key identifying good areas is to write down(in a notebook) the size, type of resource, coordinates of every find.

A far as i can see, at least the prospecting gains are very useful when out mining, but trying to use the skill gains certainly slows down the rate you can drop bombs. Also i tend to find that after a good run of maybe 120 bombs and a couple of OA 103s i would usually stop for the day and hunt instead - only keep on mining if i'm behind (being a compulsive gambler :laugh: )

So in the areas which you find have good resources do you just aim to cover as much of the ground as possible?

So in the areas which you find have good resources do you just aim to cover as much of the ground as possible?

Yep, working in 100m or 95m grids is a fairly good method to cover large areas(i.e. more than 200-400 probe/bombs)

Just remember, mining like this is very dull work especially when unamped. ;)

I use skillgains as they seem to work for me a lot of the time. Maybe I read the same guide that you did Shackleton?

I use no amps until I seem to be onto a field or vein, then I amp up to maximise any finds (no gain in my eyes running around like a loony wasting amps on nothing, and no point in finding something where you were pretty sure it was gonna be and not amping the size of it).

I use around 40 to 80 ped of bombs or probes if I'm just mining....or carry around 10 of each while doing something else (just in case..and to attract space ships maybe? :rolleyes: ). Strangley I seem to find the biggest deposits when I haven't many probes ro bombs and am being opportunist.

I have 2 definite tactics when mining...go to areas I already know are decent, or wider investigative sorties where I spread my bombs and probes searching for a good patch.

I rarely run. I find I miss way too much that way....tried going over an area with sparse finds after a running spree....walking and double bombing found it was quite a lot better. I have also had miners run past me bombing and found good stuff where they just passed, maybe because they spread too widely?

Of course, all this may be related to the avatar and the skills...or even the time of day and loot pool. Maybe for someone else it's different?

A way to track how good patches move around ....or even how long they stay where they are, that would be nice. :)

t

Yep, working in 100m or 95m grids is a fairly good method to cover large areas(i.e. more than 200-400 probe/bombs)

Just remember, mining like this is very dull work especially when unamped. ;)

Hehe, i can imagine :)
At the moment i tend to do most of my mining either in pvp3 or up in space for more excitment :laugh:

Always think as i'm slapping on an ore amp in pvp3 that it probably aint the best idea in case you hit something really big, last time i was there i had a 90 ped lyst to try and extract without being able to press T and have it constantly counting down just in case like last VU...

timmmers if it's the guide by Silver di Avlo then i've read it - along with so many other theories on this forum too, tried to test out a few and see if they have any merit. Personally i just try to imagine what would be the likely possible method that deposits are generated and then try to work out what each skillgain could represent. I could be totally wrong though, as has been said many times - not everyones mining system can be right as most contradict each other :laugh:

But again i don't place too much emphasis on it, tend to revisit areas that i like and go with a couple of 103 amps - when exploring new areas it's always unamped

yeah, that's pretty much what i do too - actually find that CND seems to give me more hunting globals too when mining there :laugh:
Although on the CND front i can easily see how people could go through loads of amps a day - at the moment i'm receiving help for my ore amp addiction!
find that with mining on the surface though, there are a few locations that i like and seem to always have a few deposits there so take a couple of 103 amps along. What i wonder is how Minky or Adelei can go through 800 - 1000 bombs a day, are the locations you go to different each day or do you intensively mine the same places?

i visit 4-6 areas each day on each dropping at least 110-200 bombs ;-)

Of-212 unamped I ussually go through 2000 bombs on a day off of work. When I work its ussually under 1k bombs. Lately i have been mining CND so the bombs go through alot faster. I basically run about randomly dropping bombs every 40m or so running from tp to tp. I ussually visit all the domes i can physically get through without loosing deposits to hoards of creatures.

That's odd - actually find i drop a lot less bombs on CND, you can burn through a few ore amps very quickly if you're not having much luck there, usually try to hunt and mine at the same time up there...

im not even going to post what it is ......

Back