How does a mothership make money?

1. Spend $9,000 on a virtual spaceship
2. ....
3. PROFIT

I don't think anyone has figured out 2 yet.

There are many ways to make use of the mothership - some of them for profit, some of them to make it easier to move between planets current and future, some of them for fun (think large fleet battles).

I do not know what the intention of the other ship owners is, however mine is to re-invest what I earn on my other properties, and additional external funds if needed, in the mothership in order to achieve my goals.

With the way MindArk have set things up it looks like this will put a lot of PED back in to the intergalactic economy, benefiting everyone in Entropia Universe.

Much does depend on what the Hangar ships turn in to though - as there are quite a number of those around.

Bye,
Deathifier

i think its all about showing off the size of your e-penis.

2. spend a shitload of cash upgrading the mothership to make it space worthy and hire gunners and a fleet to protect your ass.. then charge insane ticket prices.

Or I could pay 25 ped to a pilot of the old hangars to take me wherever.

How does a mothership make money??

Its a must to make money?
Nothing in our universe is granted to make money....at least not in the manner to recoup initial invest and proffit...not in short terms...well maybe it simply does not make money?
money?money?money?money?money?money?money?money?money?money?money?money?money?money?

I'm imagining the mothership as an aircraft carrier: the slow-moving center of a constellation of smaller fighters.

Bear in mind that you can't repair your VTOL or Quad-Wing in space -- you must land it someplace where you can get out and equip your RK-5. The mothership could theoretically be the repair station and revive point for one faction of a battle.

Professor Latha Serevi

There are many ways to make use of the mothership - some of them for profit, some of them to make it easier to move between planets current and future, some of them for fun (think large fleet battles).

I do not know what the intention of the other ship owners is, however mine is to re-invest what I earn on my other properties, and additional external funds if needed, in the mothership in order to achieve my goals.

With the way MindArk have set things up it looks like this will put a lot of PED back in to the intergalactic economy, benefiting everyone in Entropia Universe.

Much does depend on what the Hangar ships turn in to though - as there are quite a number of those around.

Bye,
Deathifier

Spoken almost like you know more then the rest of us. :handjob:

Does the interior of a MS count as pvp? Like could a captain decide to shoot all his crew and loot their stackables or perhaps the crew could mutiny and kill their captain, or what if a bunch of shady people pose as hired crew members and then kill everyone? I can see this as "making profit" otherwise a MS just seems like a giant mobile base for trade transport and repair station that and that "profit" is dependent on those who want to pay to use this service.

I can go planet-to-planet in my own VTOL quite easily, and probably quite cheaply after thruster prices settle down. For the motherships to operate in this way they would need to be able to offer some additional benefit to the passenger. What is it?

probably a way to avoid the pvp space, jumping between safe zones maybe. It might explain why Kim has been so insistent that pvp isn't going to be removed.

It's obviously to run beer to calypso, they haven't had any in years, so the MU will be crazy high. :eyecrazy:

The first flight from Calypso to Arkadia on the Bismarck happened earlier today. Tickets were 23.99 PED each.

Seeing as the mothership itself cost 85000-90001 PED, and can hold approximately 50 passengers, if you run 75 trips between planets wtih a full passenger list at that rate, you've paid off your ship (minus the other costs involved). Add extra trips to make up for gunnery, ammo, fuel and armor costs, engineering etc.

But if you run one of those every other day, you've paid the thing off in a year. At the moment, it might take a little longer. But if the planet partners step up and start doing their own advertising campaigns once they're online, so much the better.

If you start running cargo for a fee from planet to planet, this cuts down the time even more.

What a waste of money to upgrade it. :wise:

Assuming the entire space is lootable PVP.

Then the mothership owners will make sure that there are enough pkers scattered arroound to look for VTOL and medium fighter trying to make interplanetary travel... destroy and loot them. It'd be a good incentove to pkers to get the shelters from a mothership.

This way they will make interplanetary travels almost impossible by VTOL/medium fighter or very costly ... thus will make sure that the mass would look for safer alternatives!

And the Mothership owners will provide a safe transport to the players, and their goods (extra change) for a handsome fee!

And this is how they'd make money!

So can anyone please tell me how much SI a mothership has after you upgrade it?

The first flight from Calypso to Arkadia on the Bismarck happened earlier today. Tickets were 23.99 PED each.

Seeing as the mothership itself cost 85000-90001 PED, and can hold approximately 50 passengers, if you run 75 trips between planets wtih a full passenger list at that rate, you've paid off your ship (minus the other costs involved). Add extra trips to make up for gunnery, ammo, fuel and armor costs, engineering etc.

But if you run one of those every other day, you've paid the thing off in a year. At the moment, it might take a little longer. But if the planet partners step up and start doing their own advertising campaigns once they're online, so much the better.

If you start running cargo for a fee from planet to planet, this cuts down the time even more.

Why would anyone pay 23.99 PED for that service when they get there cheaper by themselves in a VTOL?

Since it's a pvp zone in space, people would not want to carry all their loot from one planet to the other since the storage system is not connected. (That's what I think.) It would probably be more safe traveling in a mothership.

Why would anyone pay 23.99 PED for that service when they get there cheaper by themselves in a VTOL?

Pretty simple.. their VTOL will be destroyed over and over again..............also now repairing structural integrity is costlier as we need welding wire. Bear in mind add to that the to risk lootable goods.

And what you've seen now won't be the case few wks later... Even the mothership owners are likely to support pking in space to get more customer for them!

Pretty simple.. their VTOL will be destroyed over and over again..............also now repairing structural integrity is costlier as we need welding wire. Bear in mind add to that the to risk lootable goods.

My VTOL is faster and has higher SI than the mothership. Isn't the mothership more likely to be destroyed than my VTOL?

OK, you're not thinking this through.

Let's say a new-ish player is standing in twins, owns no vehicle, and wants to visit arkadia.

Cost VTOL: 200+ ped
Cost Thruster: 300+ ped today

also, needs fuel and 2 more ped for atmo entry at destination

Mothership ride: 23.99 ped

Now tell me again how equipping yourself to travel through space and then risking that equipment is cheaper than a 24 ped ticket?

LEt's say i already own a VTOL (i do) and want to visit arkadia. Cost of thruster: 300+ ped today.

Again, ticket on mothership wins.

Let's say I can afford whatever i want, even a mothership (i can't) but i don't like space or plan to travel often. Still, i want to see what all the fuss is about and visit arkadia once. Here's that math again:

cost of thruster: 300+ ped today
cost of ticket: 24 ped

with me yet?

Last edited:
My VTOL is faster and has higher SI than the mothership. Isn't the mothership more likely to be destroyed than my VTOL?

You cant actively "tank" damage with your vtol. The default 500 hp you see is just a buffer for healers (provided you have them), to liken it to other games. Obviously, the bigger the buffer, the easier it is to keep the tank up :D

LEt's say i already own a VTOL (i do) and want to visit arkadia. Cost of thruster: 300+ ped today.

Again, ticket on mothership wins.

Some further insight, mothership owner who wants to sell tickets should be working with a UL thruster owner, i hope, to provide lift to ship. This cost could easily be absorbed.

However as long as the trip cost (liftoff, travel, and planetfall) total less than 40 ped we are all ahead, and active players make ped instead of idle hangar owners and MA only.

I've had a re-think about the original question and find myself agreeing with the people who think the idea isn't to make money.

Thinking back to well before VU10, when Project Entropia was based solely on Calypso, there was a vision from the creators that there would be multiple planets and space, but crucially, with huge space battles.

Now, we know that the basic structural integrity (SI) of the motherships is 500 HP, however this is upgradable. Perhaps MindArk are hoping that someone, or some people, will happily spend a fortune upgrading their motherships to ten thousand, may twenty thousand HP, making them the beasts of the EU. With such a strong vessel, they would be able to travel between planets carrying avatars who would be safe in the knowledge that they can take stackables and have a minimal chance of getting looted.

That chance of being looted could be increased if teams/societies of PKers (or pirates) work together to try to bring down such a vessel. I suspect that this is part of MindArk's vision.

Or maybe motherships, with supporting vessels, will go against other motherships and their supporting vessels with the ultimate prize being control of some parts of space (and I'll say it quietly because none of us like the phrase, taxation rights).

Edit - just realised that I've sort of gone full circle and there is a money-making aspect to this, its just that when I brain-fart I don't always think things through :laugh:

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this and I think I may be onto something. However I'm not gonna say anything until I get a mothership. If and when I do I'll mention what I was thinking.

I've been thinking about this and I think I may be onto something. However I'm not gonna say anything until I get a mothership. If and when I do I'll mention what I was thinking.
Oh, go on. It's too early in the day for a tease.

That's the UU spirit :wtg:

How does a mothership make money?

I'd say the same way as VTOL make money.

Who said mothership are designed to make money. I doubt they are.
They are closer to fun toys for rich boys.
Everyone want to play with them, some will, none will make money. (Atleast not 90k or 50k or anything with k in it)

Last cost of a light thruster at Auction 340 ped, you get 10 trips with a light thruster(decay) so thats 5 out of plant 5 back into planet that is 68 ped a trip, fuel between planets for VTOL, say 2 ped thats 70 ped a trip, 2 ped to leave planet 7 ped to get back in thats 9 ped add all together its a lot more than 23.99

Money will definitely be gained through ownership of those ships, but it just might not be the owners that gain it. ;)

Back