How full should you feed your pet?

syntax

Guardian
syntax error
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer. I just got my first pet and wanted to know basically how often/much it should be fed. I understand that it uses some energy training tricks but it also seems to decrease a bit even when I'm logged out.

Since I don't play that often, I'd rather not waste the (expensive) nutrios filling my pet up only to have him be empty when I log back in a week later. As long as his energy shows "fed", is that enough? Does the energy amount have any impact on experience gains?

As an aside, I got a paneleon, and he runs backwards. I didn't see anything in the known bugs about this, but is this a known issue?

I wouldn't worry too much, an unspawned pet should not consume food.

I keep my pets fully fed, mainly so I don't accidently dump a trained pet to the stable, when dumping freshly tamed pets for essence. Then it should be easy to tell the difference and hopefully no mistakes will take place.

Your pet will consume food while spawned, and more food when doing tricks. I actually think there's an XP ratio going there with your pet burning the same amount of bars for xp earned* when spawned continually.

* However the lower your pet focus the less XP you get for bars used, so try not to trick your pets below 98% focus. If you want to burn peds though, that's your choice.

Some people believe you get more xp over time doing small tricks, rather than big tricks. I actually think that's an illusion, because the pet is gaining xp as well as the time doing small tricks.

If you have quite a few pets, you can big trick (once unlocked) and send your pet back to inventory (dismiss) while working on another pet, and so forth. Over time I'm sure that brings down food costs.

Interesting you say your pets uses bars when in inventory, I've wondered that myself at times. Maybe MA added pet food use until the focus gets back to 100% in inventory but at a much lower rate. It's a bit cheeky if MA introduced that, maybe our minds are playing tricks on us (I will check it again, in game).

Walking backwards:

Yeah there's a few bugs with pets, PP's are trying to resolve that.

I notice the animation on pets stack now, so less pet animation crashes (deaths). There's a few annoying bugs with pets, although I notice subtle improvements all the time, so MA are working on it.

I guess other PP's (not Caly or MA) need to resolve their own pet bugs.

Good luck

Rick

But, no matter what, don't let them get wet and never, ever feed them after midnight.

Personally I only spawn it and let follow me.
No tricks.
When the bar say "well fed" it's ok
I consider feed it when the bar drops way low to "fed".
No food consumed when is in the storage!

Thanks for all the tips and advice. One thing I'm still not sure about:

No food consumed when is in the storage!

I wouldn't worry too much, an unspawned pet should not consume food.

I'm pretty sure my pet consumed some energy while I was logged out last night... but I didn't write down the amount I left it at so maybe I'm just misremembering what the original value was. However, I do know I logged out with the focus at 90%, so perhaps RickEngland is right and it consumes just enough to get back to 100%. I will try and test this further.

As long as pet has fed bar at 30% or higher it should all be good. At least for most pets. I think a few have different perents to siwtch from hungry to fed. I tested a few times a long while ago for pets consuming food while in inventory and they didn't. I don't think I've seen this change.

Also the most eco xp gain for the pet is when doing a trick at 99% focus or higher. The idle time when a pet is out but not doing tricks gains only about two-thirds of the xp for the same nutrio cost. It was never fully concluded whether the different tricks were better, but there looked like there might be a marginal difference towards dance from some old research Tamlin did. It definitely does mean clicking less often to use the bigger tricks though.

Back